[RECOVERY] Safestrap for Droid 3 [2012/10/17: Version 3.05 SD BUGFIX]

Search This thread

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
SAFESTRAP v3.05 (2nd-System Bootstrap / Recovery)

PRIOR TO UPGRADING TO V3.x FROM V2.x MOVE THE /sdcard/safestrap FOLDER FROM YOUR /sdcard TO THE /sdcard-ext. THIS OPENS UP VALUABLE INTERNAL EMMC SPACE WHERE ROM SLOTS ARE CREATED. AND KEEPS YOUR V2 BACKUPS SAFE IN CASE YOU WANT TO REVERT TO V2 AND USE THEM TO RESTORE.

** INSERT STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm not responsible for any damage you do to your phone using my tools. Always have a fastboot available for disaster recovery. **

Download the "Droid3Safestrap-3.05.apk" Installer Here for "DROID 3"
FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS: How to Safestrap
[ DOUBLE-CHECK you have the DROID3 VERSION ]

CHANGES:
  • [10/17] (3.05) Fixed SD card / emmc sharing in recovery (UMS)
  • [10/17] (3.05) Fixed recovery installation/removal from ROM-slots
  • [10/14] Updated to v3.04 BETA.
  • [10/14] Recovery is now based off TWRP 2.2.2.1 (fully featured touch-based recovery)
  • [10/14] Can create up to 4 Virtual ROM-slots to flash ROMs to and when "Active" ALL TWRP functions affect that ROM-slot (For example: Flashing .zips, Backup and Restore)
  • [10/14] Nearly instant swapping from ROM to ROM
  • [10/14] User selectable data partition sizes during ROM slot creation: 1GB, 2GB or 3GB
  • [10/14] ROM slots are saved on the internal emmc space so that preinstall and webtop partitions are no longer used and shouldn't break OTAs.
  • [10/14] Charging in recovery
  • [10/14] Supports "Reboot Recovery" from Android OS

Entry to recovery via Splashscreen on boot-up. The screen stays up for around 8-10 seconds and if you hit the menu button, it takes you to Safestrap Recovery.

SPECIAL THANKS TO:

• The entire TWRP team who has built an AMAZING recovery system.
  • The testers which have helped in past and present versions of Safestrap, knowing that it could mean they brick their devices.

As always, let me know what you think!

Last edited:

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
A quick note about why I made a MotoBlur 5.6.890 ROM .zip for Safestrap:

1. This is the stock version of our Phone's software. If you want to swap back and forth between CM7 and the standard software, but NOT turn off "Safe System" then you need a stock ROM to use. This is it.

2. Devs can use this ROM as a sort of base for making their skinned ROMs without fear of bootlooping into an SBF. Feel free to tweak and hack away.. nothing you can do to the ROM will force you to fastboot restore. At worst you're looking at a battery pull -> bp-tools -> recovery -> restore.

3. I know some people are checking dev servers for future Moto updates. In theory I will pull the /system images from those updates and put out updated MotoBlur ROMs in the future as a way of test driving upcoming Moto patches w/o fear of leaving yourself stranded on an upgrade path that won't be supported.

Seirÿu

Aug 3, 2011
Redding
So, im just curious, if I wanted to...
I could run say steel droid, then install safestrap, flash cm7,
And by turning safestrap off/on, I could technequally go back and forth
between 2 custom roms? Or do I have to keep the /system partition clean?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
Actually the idea for Safestrap is to keep the main system clean.

I'm working with ChevyCam to get a Safestrap version of SteelDroid. Then you can use Safestrap exactly like regular recovery where you would swap from ROM to rom via backup and restore. The advantage being your method of recovery entry and ROM booting is always protected.

The Solutor

Dec 14, 2006
Turin
Great news !!!

Safestrap works on the XT883 rom too at least w/o the ota update, I'm going to test it on the updated system.

Lyxdeslic

Aug 21, 2011
Thanks so much for clarifying, and thanks a million times over for all the great work you've selflessly done for the Droid3 community. I look forward to future CM7 updates.

G

GuestK00228

hey hashcode, just a clarification, we can use safestrap like koush's bootstrap, but we just must turn safe system off right? cause your post makes it seem as if we cant do this

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
Right now, zips applied with Safestrap are applied to the 2nd-system only. In theory I could make some adjustments to allow for applying zips to the original system as well.. and while I understand the idea of "dual booting" a phone seems fantastic, it's really just an unrecoverable bootloop waiting to happen.

I'd rather that Droid 3 users turn on "Safe System" and never turn it off again (or need to). If all of our ROMs were installable via Safestrap I really feel that we would see alot less "I've bootlooped" postings on the boards.

For the recovery portion of Safestrap: it does NOT backup the original system. Only the 2nd-system, data and cache partitions. (Remember the idea is that you basically root your original system, toss on Safestrap and then enter recovery and toss a .zip onto your 2nd system)
I'm considering changing this in the next version of Safestrap so that backups from Safestrap can be used for full system recovery.

Last edited:
Reactions: MyNarwhalBacon

sic4672

Sep 26, 2009
Another question with which to bother you...

When you have the option to do a backup, will you have the ability to choose the destination where the backup is stored as well as the location from where the backup can be restored (either internal or external storage)?

Thank you for your time.

limaxray

Aug 8, 2008
Excellent work, I think this is a fabulous idea and should be the de facto standard for these locked devices. Were you still thinking about using a 2nd data/cache partition as well?

I think it would be pretty sweet if you could loopback mount file system images stored on internal storage for the system/data/cache partitions to implement a proper and safe multiboot system. I don't know how much of a performance hit this would take though.

Anyway, the one suggestion I would make about backing up the original system is to not do it as part of the regular backup/restore. Since system should rarely change, it'd be a waste of time and storage space to back it up every time. Could you either make it a separate option, or perhaps only back it up if the partition's checksum changed?

Besides, if you hose your system and need to restore it, you're probably not going to be using this recovery anyway.

astronot

Nov 17, 2009
So in order to switch to another ROM (from CM7), that is not Safestrap compatible, I just need to toggle safe mode in recovery?

Sent from my DROID3 using XDA App

Hashcode

Sep 3, 2011
Yes. But beware of bootloops caused by not wiping your data between ROM switches.

To prevent that from happening you currently need to maintain copies of your data via backup/restore.. This will get addressed in the next version of Safestrap.

The Solutor

Dec 14, 2006
Turin
I can confirm it works on the updated system too, btw for some odd reasons I'm unable to do a nandroid backup.

I''m investigating what's going on...

Ok I spoke too soon, backup and restore doesn't works on XT883

The backup folder is created correctly on the SDcard, the backup process starts normally with the /system partitons and then the process fails telling that there was an error while backing up the system partition.

Hashcode do you have any idea ?

The only differences in the partitioning between the two systems are the mount options

this is the 862

/dev/block/system on /system type ext3 (ro,noatime,nodiratime,barrier=1,data=ordered)

and this the 883

/dev/block/system on /system type ext3 (rw,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered)

Joe.cotto

Mar 11, 2011
Do we install the MOTOBLUR Rom via safestrap or can we install it via bootstrap if coming from another Rom?

Sent from my DROID3 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SAFESTRAP v3.05 (2nd-System Bootstrap / Recovery)

PRIOR TO UPGRADING TO V3.x FROM V2.x MOVE THE /sdcard/safestrap FOLDER FROM YOUR /sdcard TO THE /sdcard-ext. THIS OPENS UP VALUABLE INTERNAL EMMC SPACE WHERE ROM SLOTS ARE CREATED. AND KEEPS YOUR V2 BACKUPS SAFE IN CASE YOU WANT TO REVERT TO V2 AND USE THEM TO RESTORE.

** INSERT STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm not responsible for any damage you do to your phone using my tools. Always have a fastboot available for disaster recovery. **

Download the "Droid3Safestrap-3.05.apk" Installer Here for "DROID 3"
    FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS: How to Safestrap
    [ DOUBLE-CHECK you have the DROID3 VERSION ]

CHANGES:
    • [10/17] (3.05) Fixed SD card / emmc sharing in recovery (UMS)
    • [10/17] (3.05) Fixed recovery installation/removal from ROM-slots
    • [10/14] Updated to v3.04 BETA.
    • [10/14] Recovery is now based off TWRP 2.2.2.1 (fully featured touch-based recovery)
    • [10/14] Can create up to 4 Virtual ROM-slots to flash ROMs to and when "Active" ALL TWRP functions affect that ROM-slot (For example: Flashing .zips, Backup and Restore)
    • [10/14] Nearly instant swapping from ROM to ROM
    • [10/14] User selectable data partition sizes during ROM slot creation: 1GB, 2GB or 3GB
    • [10/14] ROM slots are saved on the internal emmc space so that preinstall and webtop partitions are no longer used and shouldn't break OTAs.
    • [10/14] Charging in recovery
    • [10/14] Supports "Reboot Recovery" from Android OS

Entry to recovery via Splashscreen on boot-up. The screen stays up for around 8-10 seconds and if you hit the menu button, it takes you to Safestrap Recovery.

SPECIAL THANKS TO:

• The entire TWRP team who has built an AMAZING recovery system.
    • The testers which have helped in past and present versions of Safestrap, knowing that it could mean they brick their devices.

As always, let me know what you think!
    A quick note about why I made a MotoBlur 5.6.890 ROM .zip for Safestrap:

1. This is the stock version of our Phone's software. If you want to swap back and forth between CM7 and the standard software, but NOT turn off "Safe System" then you need a stock ROM to use. This is it.

2. Devs can use this ROM as a sort of base for making their skinned ROMs without fear of bootlooping into an SBF. Feel free to tweak and hack away.. nothing you can do to the ROM will force you to fastboot restore. At worst you're looking at a battery pull -> bp-tools -> recovery -> restore.

3. I know some people are checking dev servers for future Moto updates. In theory I will pull the /system images from those updates and put out updated MotoBlur ROMs in the future as a way of test driving upcoming Moto patches w/o fear of leaving yourself stranded on an upgrade path that won't be supported.
    Oddly, I couldn't find any Safestrap 3.0 thread.

So I updated this one with the current version (3.05).
    Safestrap 1.0 is out now. Lot's of changes, so let me know if you see anything screwy.

There's a couple of KNOWN ISSUES in the 1st post.
    ROM Switching

Was using CM7 via Safestrap and wanted to switch to SteelDroid 3.0 without having to switch bootstraps.

AGAIN: This is a method of ROM switching using Hash's Safestrap.

For those looking to do the same here's what I did:

Boot into recovery;
    Toggle Safemode;
    Wipe data;
    Wipe cache;
    Mounts & Storage>Format System;
    Install zip from SD card;
    Viola.

I must admit that I am by no means a developer, and have some small clue as to what I'm doing, but just by reading all (the few) threads on D3 ROM development, I was able to scrape up the courage to go ahead and do it, as opposed to waiting for devs to make their individual ROM's safestrap compatible. Boot took ~ 1min.

If anyone has any input or advice, go for it. Like I said, I just went ahead and did it cause I couldn't find reassurance that it has been done/works.

Many thanks to Hashcode & Chevy.