Full root for A10x and A5xx ICS. Simple method.

Search This thread

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
Really, no problems when using my CWM-update-script:
Code:
shell@android:/ $ su
su
shell@android:/ # mount -o remount,ro /system
mount -o remount,ro /system
shell@android:/ # mount | grep system
mount | grep system
/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/APP on /system type ext4 (ro,relatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered)
/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/FLX on /system/vendor type ext4 (ro,relatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered)
shell@android:/ # busybox mount -o remount,rw /system
busybox mount -o remount,rw /system
mount | grep system
/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/APP on /system type ext4 (rw,relatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered)
/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/FLX on /system/vendor type ext4 (ro,relatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered)
shell@android:/ # ls -l /system/xbin/busybox
ls -l /system/xbin/busybox
-rwxr-xr-x root     root         1092 2012-07-03 00:41 busybox

(as far as I can see)

Regards,

Nika.

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

A100 (judging from your sig)? In this case it would help for you to be able to update su? Or why is the updated busybox acting up on your devices?

Also, I don't own an A100, but did someone actually create a CWM for the A100 that does not need to be installed through root? Does A100 have bootloader which you can unlock ("adb reboot bootloader" and "fastboot oem unlock" and then use flashboot to install a new recovery ("fastboot flash recovery recovery.img")? If this is possible it shouldn't be too hard to create a recovery based on a boot.img with the right recovery.fstab parameters (mount points)....

Nevertheless, I was just responding to this with my experience on an A511 as the thread said A5xx...

Regards,

Nika.

Our unlocked boot loader is the a200 boot loader, ours don't respond to the unlock command. Until the boot loader is unlocked any recovery we flash fails boot loader verification. To flash our boot loader we go in through android, so we need to root. So, we need root to run custom recoveries, which is why I said it was redundant to flash root from cwm, if you can run cwm you're already rooted.

Its been awhile since anyone has looked at unlocking the a100 boot loader so it may be possible now, this was all done back when we had leaks to work with, now that we have official, who knows?

I've never run into an issue with busy box, but I also don't run Acer based ROMs.

I'm quite familiar with flashing random stuff to the a100, but until the boot loader is unlocked we can't run anything custom. Once unlocked we can flash whatever we want wherever we wish.

But like I said the new a100 boot loader may respond to the unlock command, but I doubt it. The a500 and a100 are similar, but they do differ on some points.

Tapatalked from my Galaxy S II.

Last edited:

nikagl

Jun 11, 2006
Nieuwegein, NL
OnePlus 6
Our unlocked boot loader is the a200 boot loader, ours don't respond to the unlock command. Until the boot loader is unlocked any recovery we flash fails boot loader verification. To flash our boot loader we go in through android, so we need to root. So, we need root to run custom recoveries, which is why I said it was redundant to flash root from cwm, if you can run cwm you're already rooted.

Its been awhile since anyone has looked at unlocking the a100 boot loader so it may be possible now, this was all done back when we had leaks to work with, now that we have official, who knows?

I've never run into an issue with busy box, but I also don't run Acer based ROMs.

I'm quite familiar with flashing random stuff to the a100, but until the boot loader is unlocked we can't run anything custom. Once unlocked we can flash whatever we want wherever we wish.

But like I said the new a100 boot loader may respond to the unlock command, but I doubt it. The a500 and a100 are similar, but they do differ on some points.

Ok guys, I have to recall my previous comment. When you replied I suddenly saw the other size of busybox, so in this case I was using the older version! This was due to an accidental factory reset in between the two tries... sorry for the confusion, I updated and it does fail now:

Code:
shell@android:/ $ su
su
shell@android:/ # mount -o remount,ro /system
mount -o remount,ro /system
mount | grep system
/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/APP on /system type ext4 (ro,relatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered)
shell@android:/ # busybox mount -o remount,rw /system
busybox mount -o remount,rw /system
mount: permission denied (are you root?)
mount | grep system
1|shell@android:/ # mount -o remount,rw /system
mount -o remount,rw /system
mount | grep system
/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/APP on /system type ext4 (rw,relatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered)
shell@android:/ # ls -l /system/xbin/busybox
ls -l /system/xbin/busybox
-rwxr-xr-x root     root       849476 2012-07-03 23:07 busybox
So... I guess I should leave it like it is and not upgrade busybox. Is this a general error or something specific with our devices? The stericson busybox tool I use also mentions it's not replacing the mount symlink (which is recommended)... so why use busybox to mount anyway? When I do it without busybox it works fine (see the line in between the mounts). Never mind if you don't want to answer, as this must have been figured out some way back already and I don't have the time to read the whole thread...

With regards to the recovery, if you guys want I can create it (if you provide a boot.img and mount points), but judging from your response it's not necessary anymore :)

Regards,

Nika.

Reactions: pio_masaki

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
We do have recoveries, CWM and TWRP, not sure what you are offering? Unless you mean a way to install them without unlocking, which is fine, but we lose use of recovery entirely that way. Or I'm just not understanding, in which case I apologize, I'm not trying to shoot you down or anything.

nikagl

Jun 11, 2006
Nieuwegein, NL
OnePlus 6
We do have recoveries, CWM and TWRP, not sure what you are offering? Unless you mean a way to install them without unlocking, which is fine, but we lose use of recovery entirely that way. Or I'm just not understanding, in which case I apologize, I'm not trying to shoot you down or anything.

Ah, right, that's what I was offering, sorry. No need for that then :)

ZeroNull

Feb 6, 2012
Omsk
Official bootloader

But like I said the new a100 boot loader may respond to the unlock command, but I doubt it.
I try to check the new A100 firmware (including bootloaders), as they are released. But so far nothing.

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
I try to check the new A100 firmware (including bootloaders), as they are released. But so far nothing.

OK maybe I should have phrased that differently, its been awhile since we've heard anything new about the boot loader?

Anyways did you happen to check out the boot loader in the service rom? It also has a couple extra apps in it which may be of use. If you're interested let me know.

Shocker580

Apr 15, 2012
Code:
-rwsr-sr-x root     [COLOR="Red"]app_78[/COLOR]      22364 2012-07-02 09:57 su
These are the rights that you have exhibited for file su. Instead app_78 must be root. Otherwise, some programs will not get root access.

If you are corrected, run the command again:
Code:
ls -lR /system/sbin
ls -l /system/xbin/busybox  /system/xbin/mount /system/bin/mount /system/bin/su

Done, after fixed "su" rights still not working again, so i tried to exploit one more time and this time worked! Thank you a lot!:laugh:

ZeroNull

Feb 6, 2012
Omsk
OK maybe I should have phrased that differently, its been awhile since we've heard anything new about the boot loader?

Anyways did you happen to check out the boot loader in the service rom? It also has a couple extra apps in it which may be of use. If you're interested let me know.

Not quite sure what you mean?

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az

That one. I flashed it and its generally a production rom that seems meant for Singapore, but the interesting thing is a few extra apps that look geared for repair or diagnostics. It has a boot loader blob, which is what I meant about looking that one over it may not be secured and let something useful slip. I didn't let it install as I didn't know if I could get back out of it.

I couldn't gain root by the usual means of mempodroid so I couldn't back them up. I didn't mess with it to much but its easy enough to flash again.

ZeroNull

Feb 6, 2012
Omsk
That one. I flashed it and its generally a production rom that seems meant for Singapore, but the interesting thing is a few extra apps that look geared for repair or diagnostics. It has a boot loader blob, which is what I meant about looking that one over it may not be secured and let something useful slip. I didn't let it install as I didn't know if I could get back out of it.

I couldn't gain root by the usual means of mempodroid so I couldn't back them up. I didn't mess with it to much but its easy enough to flash again.

I looked this firmware. With regard to service of utilities, apparently did not notice (check again). Root-rights received through the last update of my method.

Deshabilitado

Nov 26, 2011
Puebla
cant update the SU binary on superuser, how can i update it? or is it ok if i stay without update it?

says that it cant mount system r/w ...

Last edited:

dwsco

Jul 12, 2006
Progreso, Yucatan
Redmi Note 10 Pro
I'm hoping this is a fixable problem....

Bought the A100 on Friday, rooted and unlocked no problem. Decided today to try a new ROM so installed the custom recovery and it seemed fine.

HOWEVER... I obviously goofed somewhere because when I turn on the tab it goes immediately to the screen that has small white writing at the top left - Bootloader version 0.03.06-ics (unlock mode) and the green acer and stops...

Anyone help me out here?

pio_masaki

May 7, 2012
Surprise, Az
I'm hoping this is a fixable problem....

Bought the A100 on Friday, rooted and unlocked no problem. Decided today to try a new ROM so installed the custom recovery and it seemed fine.

HOWEVER... I obviously goofed somewhere because when I turn on the tab it goes immediately to the screen that has small white writing at the top left - Bootloader version 0.03.06-ics (unlock mode) and the green acer and stops...

Anyone help me out here?

It was either a bad download, bad flash or you didn't wipe. In my SIG take a read at the guide there.

For now, go back into recovery, wipe data system cache dalvik cache then flash the ROM again.

Also, I hope you backed up just for events like this.

If it still does not flash correctly download the ROM again and then flash.

Tapatalked from my Galaxy S II - CM10

Reactions: dwsco

dwsco

Jul 12, 2006
Progreso, Yucatan
Redmi Note 10 Pro
It was either a bad download, bad flash or you didn't wipe. In my SIG take a read at the guide there.

For now, go back into recovery, wipe data system cache dalvik cache then flash the ROM again.

Also, I hope you backed up just for events like this.

If it still does not flash correctly download the ROM again and then flash.

Tapatalked from my Galaxy S II - CM10

Thanks for the response. While I was waiting I tried a bunch of things and finally (just about 5 minutes ago) managed to install a stock ROM by copying the update.zip to an external SD and booting. Just checking that all is working right now but it was a little heart stopping for a while there. I may pause for a day or two before trying again :)

Thanks again.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Original article is published on this site and created by ZeroNull and vdsirotkin (4pda.ru).

How to:
    1. The tablet should be already upgraded to stock ICS for A100/A101 (or stock ICS A500/A501/A510 for other tablets).
    2. Download this archive on the computer. Unpack it to any place.
    3, On a tablet: "Settings" -> "Applications" -> "Development" -> "USB debugging" switch on.
    4. Сonnect the tablet to the computer (Before connection it is recommended to update the driver for a tablet from here: A10x, A50x, A510).
    5. Open the directory with the unpacked archive. Execute file: for windows - runit-win.bat; for Linux - runit-linux.sh.
    The root is received!
    6. Now you will have to install the following programs:
    SuperUser APK
    Titanium Backup
    At first it is necessary to start the Superuser program, at least 1 time after receiving root. And only then programs that require root access.

ATTENTION!
    Don't install Busybox! It is already installed and established! If you reinstall it, some programs will become unable to access root permissions!

Change:
    The error of final check of receiving root is corrected (The messaging that "root" isn't received, though it was not so)
    Support of A510 of tablets is improved

This method uses the 'mempodroid' exploit and some workings out by ZeroNull and vdsirotkin (4pda.ru).

List of rooting versions:
    New - ICS_rooting_A10x_A5xx.zip
    Old - ICS_rooting.zip

PS: I understand English rather badly, but I'll try to help, if it is necessary. :)
    PS2: Command "Mount ro/rw" for directory /system (partition) - works perfectly!
    PS3: This method does not work on the A511 tablets
    This also works on the new Acer Iconia A510!!!!!

Original article is published on this site and created by ZeroNull and vdsirotkin (4pda.ru).
    How to:
    1. The tablet should be already upgraded to ICS for A100.
    2. Download this archive on the computer. Unpack it to any place.
    3, On a tablet: "Settings" -> "Applications" -> "Development" -> "USB debugging" switch on.
    4. Сonnect the tablet to the computer.
    5. Open the directory with the unpacked archive. Execute file: for windows - runit-win.bat; for Linux - runit-linux.sh.
    The root is received!
    6. Now you will have to install the following programms:
    SuperUser APK
    Titanium Backup

ATTENTION!
    Don't install Busybox! It is already installed and established! If you reinstall it, some programs will become unable to access root permissions!

This method uses the 'mempodroid' exploit and some workings out by ZeroNull and vdsirotkin (4pda.ru).

PS: I understand English rather badly, but I'll try to help, if it is necessary. :)
    PS2: Command "Mount ro/rw" for directory /system (partition) - works perfectly!

Just so everyone knows, this root kit also works on the new Iconia A510.
    I just got my Acer Iconia A510 from Amazon this morning and decided to install the USB drivers and tried this rooting kit and low and behold I got full root access. :D:D:D:p:p:p

Thanks ZeroNull!!!!
    Always please!

Not at all :D
    I was afraid that something was translated incorrectly. But now everything is all right! :)

Ah, right, that's what I was offering, sorry. No need for that then :)
    is this a permanent root? or temporary? it give r/w permission on system folder?
    Permanent :)