[Q] [SOLVED] No EFS backup. IMEI lost.

Search This thread

7alvi

Jan 14, 2012
Kanpur, Delhi
So, I unlocked bootloader of my N5. Flashed CWM Touch. Didn't make any kinda backup (I know I'm stupid) and flashed paranoid android. Now I'm not getting any signals on it. Please, I'm in need of desperate help. Any solutions?

EDIT:
Flashed stock image, good as new :) This should help people who are as stupid as me :p

Last edited:

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
Hello,

Did you wipe data/factory reset, cache, dalvic cache before flashing PA rom.zip?
IF not, then head over to recovery and wipe everything.. Now flash pa.zip and gapps.zip and finally reboot...

Just flashing the pa rom won't touch the efs...

Reactions: 7alvi

7alvi

Jan 14, 2012
Kanpur, Delhi
Do the usual flash cache.img first. Failing that, reflash all stock images

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Trying this

Hello,

Did you wipe data/factory reset, cache, dalvic cache before flashing PA rom.zip?
IF not, then head over to recovery and wipe everything.. Now flash pa.zip and gapps.zip and finally reboot...

But, I did not wipe data/factory reset..I went into mounts and storage and wiped everything except sd-card

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
I'm flashing the stock image as of now. But, how will it restore my efs partition? By wiping everything in recovery in mounts and storage, didnt i wipe it too?

Just because the symptoms appear to indicate that you've screwed your efs partition,.doesn't mean you actually have.

Bad /cache and /data have been known to exhibit the same symptoms and flashing cache or returning to stock are known fixes if that's the case

7alvi

Jan 14, 2012
Kanpur, Delhi
Just because the symptoms appear to indicate that you've screwed your efs partition,.doesn't mean you actually have.

Bad /cache and /data have been known to exhibit the same symptoms and flashing cache or returning to stock are known fixes if that's the case

I'm flashing stock image but it's kinda stuck on
archive does not contain boot.sig
archive does not contain recovery.sig

It's been like 10 minutes since that. I'm on on old Pentium 4 PC so maybe it's taking time? I dunno!

jamal2367

Oct 17, 2010

It's been like 10 minutes since that. I'm on on old Pentium 4 PC so maybe it's taking time? I dunno!

The 2 lines is are normaly :)

Try again with admin rights :)

Last edited:

GUGUITOMTG4

Oct 26, 2011
GuGuPlace

That could be because you extracted the image-hammerhead xxxxx.zip file. dont extract it. it should be there like it is on this picture
Untitled.png

7alvi

Jan 14, 2012
Kanpur, Delhi

I officially pronounce this phone as un-brickable. Yes it's fixed. IMEI, baseband siganls everything is back... @rootSU I owe you a beer man. I can't emphasize how ****lessly scared I was...thanx a lot!

Radioman66

Jan 14, 2015
Just pumping this thread.

I've gone through a few steps but have ran into a snag.

Heres the synopsis;

My device was randomly shutting down while charging so I decided to factory reset to see if that helped.
When I did the the device entered a boot loop and when I went into recovery it would say can't mount cache etc.
I tried re flashing 5.0.1 Lrx22c but again it got stuck in a boot loop.
I managed to flash 4.4.4 and the device finally turns on.
The only problem is that the phone appears to be without any network connection. Google playstore cannot open and crash's and so does the camera and gallery applications. Adding a sim card does nothing to help.
I'm not sure how to fix this problem and I'm at a point where I need to ask for help. I'm Canadian and bought the device through one of our providers, Rogers, and am starting to think that there is a specific set of 'roger' img's that I need to flash and not the ones from the developers site.
Any input would be much appreciated.

ldubs

Dec 25, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
There is no such thing as carrier specific factory images. Did you try reflashing the radio, or a different radio? Remove and reinsert Sim? Might be hardware issue otherwise ..

aNANOmous

Jul 11, 2012
At my wit's end.

I realize it's been 2 weeks since you posted but, in the hope that you are subscribed still Radioman66, I'm curious if you did ever manage to fix/reinject your IMEI; I'm Canadian too btw, though I bought my Nexus 5 through Google Play. I've tried flashing stock everything: bootloader, radio, boot, system, cache, userdata via fastboot; only then did my phone reboot properly, but it still has a habit of crashing/rebooting every so often. No IMEI & no cellular reception thus far, so I can only conclude that there is some data corruption at play here. Fortunately it was easy to find my unique IMEI via a sticker on the inside of the back cover of my Nexus 5, for those who aren't aware.

So I'm in the opinion that the issues of bootloops and my IMEI corruption (dialling *#06# on the dialer calls up a bold IMEI header but no number whatsoever) first occurred when my battery drained to zero. I was using a custom rom at the time, Optipop Dark Deodex with f2fs formatted data and cache partitions, + Multirom & multirom compatible TWRP. I'm at a loss for why the EFS partition and thus IMEI would even be accessed by the phone for writing/reading or how a corruption of the partition could even occur. Perhaps I was receiving a text message right at that very moment it turned off? Perhaps f2fs is to blame, who really knows...main thing is my IMEI is corrupted and I'm left with a smart brick, it being no longer a smart phone.

Anyway, long story short it's been like 2 days of searching around but I think this free tool "Setup DFS 15.01.17.0.zip" at cdmatool dot com (can't post link as a newbie so replace dot with a period) may be the real deal; it's possible to download it without registering i.e. demo mode ( which makes you wait tens of seconds between operations). Despite my general comfort with adb, fastboot, cmd tools in general, the CDMAtool's manual is full of stuff and acronyms I don't really know about yet, like COM Ports and what not but I'm hoping to soon understand this tool and will report back my failures/successes. If anyone would be kind enough to perhaps walk me through what I would need to do, I'd be super thankful!!!t

Welp, cheers to not even knowing about the existence of ESN/EFS/IMEI before this unfortunate juncture LMAO--I will definitely make sure to backup my EFS partitions before flashing custom roms from now on...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Do the usual flash cache.img first. Failing that, reflash all stock images

Flashing Cache didn't work..I'm ****ed am I not? Someone please help me

Go to your custom recovery and wipe everything (data/cache/dalvic)... Now flash the rom.zip and gapps.zip and finally reboot and see whether you're able to get a signal or not?

OR

You could use this guide to return to full stock and check... http://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/general/tutorial-how-to-flash-factory-image-t2513701

I officially pronounce this phone as un-brickable. Yes it's fixed. IMEI, baseband siganls everything is back... @rootSU I owe you a beer man. I can't emphasize how ****lessly scared I was...thanx a lot!
    Hello,

No worries ;)