[Q] [HELP] Some photos/videos deleted

Search This thread
Dec 12, 2013
Hey guys!

I was at a concert last night and took some photos/videos with my ZL. But when I tried to transfer them to my computer, I got some problems. All I did was:

> Connected my ZL to PC via usb in MTP mode
> Created a new folder in my computer
> Opened the desired folder (in this case, Internal Strorage > DCIM > 100ANDRO)
> Then, I simply dragged the 100ANDRO folder to the new one I created

But after doing this, some trouble: the 100ANDRO disappeared from my phone internal storage and appeared EMPTY inside the folder I created before. Result: I've lost all the photos and videos.

I don't even know if I'm posting on the right area, but all I want is to recover the disappeared files. Tried to google a solution. I even found it, but for that I have to root my phone, and I don't want to do this 'cause it's in warranty period yet.

Questions: Can I have my photos/videos back without rooting my phone? If I really have to root it to have my photos/videos back, what I have to do? Do someone knows what happened? PLEASE HELP MEEEE :crying:

@EDIT
Okay, I realized that the only way is rooting my phone. Can anyone explain step-to-step or indicate a thread that a noob can understand?

C6503, KitKat 4.4.2 running on 10.5.A.0.230 with unlocked bootloader

Last edited:

AndreIrawan97

Jun 20, 2013
Denpasar
Hey guys!

I was at a concert last night and took some photos/videos with my ZL. But when I tried to transfer them to my computer, I got some problems. All I did was:

> Connected my ZL to PC via usb in MTP mode
> Created a new folder in my computer
> Opened the desired folder (in this case, Internal Strorage > DCIM > 100ANDRO)
> Then, I simply dragged the 100ANDRO folder to the new one I created

But after doing this, some trouble: the 100ANDRO disappeared from my phone internal storage and appeared EMPTY inside the folder I created before. Result: I've lost all the photos and videos.

I don't even know if I'm posting on the right area, but all I want is to recover the disappeared files. Tried to google a solution. I even found it, but for that I have to root my phone, and I don't want to do this 'cause it's in warranty period yet.

Questions: Can I have my photos/videos back without rooting my phone? If I really have to root it to have my photos/videos back, what I have to do? Do someone knows what happened? PLEASE HELP MEEEE :crying:

Well maybe you accidentally put it somewhere...
Are you using 4.3 or 4.4?

Dec 12, 2013
you removed device without close usb conection.
It's normal lose data when do this way.

that things were on SD, i think you'll see nomore. Or, use another ZL and copy the original files.

I didn't remove the device before I realized the trouble I was in. By the way, I've done this process so many times before and never had a problem like this, always safely removing my device.

The photos and videos were on Internal Storage. If them were on the SD card, I think I could recover the files; but since I can't connect my ZL in USB Mass Storage mode, pc applications can't scan it to try to recover the files.

I found some ways to try to recover the files w/ an application named DiskDigger, for Android. But in order to use it, I have to root my device first. Anyone ever used this app? Does it really works? What's the best, safely or simply way to root my device for a noob like me? I'm using a C6503 running 4.4 on 10.5.A.0.230 with unlocked bootloader.

Dec 12, 2013
settings / Xperia conectivity / usb xonectivity / USB connection mode

---------- Post added at 11:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

is that you're talking?

Yep. But the Internal Storage isn't available in Mass Storage mode, only the SD card. Since the photos I want to recover were on the internal storage, it don't works for me.

Can you indicate me the best/easier way to root my phone?

CokeJunkee

Aug 18, 2011
I didn't remove the device before I realized the trouble I was in. By the way, I've done this process so many times before and never had a problem like this, always safely removing my device.

The photos and videos were on Internal Storage. If them were on the SD card, I think I could recover the files; but since I can't connect my ZL in USB Mass Storage mode, pc applications can't scan it to try to recover the files.

I found some ways to try to recover the files w/ an application named DiskDigger, for Android. But in order to use it, I have to root my device first. Anyone ever used this app? Does it really works? What's the best, safely or simply way to root my device for a noob like me? I'm using a C6503 running 4.4 on 10.5.A.0.230 with unlocked bootloader.

After a heavy data loss I managed to recover all my photos with DiskDigger.
Works from both, internal and external storage, it is a great app :good:

Dec 12, 2013

I tried to follow the instructions in the link you posted, but I have problems with the second step. It redirects me to this thread, but since I don't have recovery and can't flash the kernel that is disponibilized, I got an error that says that it cant write the boot 'cause remote command is not allowed or something like this. So, I can't flash the kernel with recovery and can't root. Some tips about this?

Adilson Casula

you must have a unlocked bootloader.
i think your is locked.

Dial *#*#7378423#*#* . Then go to -> "Service Info" -> "Configuration". If there is:
Bootloader unlock allowed - Yes << this means that your Bootloader is Locked
Bootloader Unlocked - Yes << this means that your bootloader is unlocked

Dec 12, 2013
you must have a unlocked bootloader.
i think your is locked.

Dial *#*#7378423#*#* . Then go to -> "Service Info" -> "Configuration". If there is:
Bootloader unlock allowed - Yes << this means that your Bootloader is Locked
Bootloader Unlocked - Yes << this means that your bootloader is unlocked

Ok, so my device allows me to unlock my bootloader... I read in somewhere here in xda that having my bootloader unlocked cause the loss of the Bravia Engine 2. Is it really true? Or it's a risk that may occur?