NoobROM 4.4.4 CM/AOSP based KitKat for Blaze 4G

Search This thread

SiberianLeopard

Oct 27, 2012
Somewhere
Hello. This is my first ROM, based off of Cyanogenmod. A few Cyanogen features have been removed, and some non-CM features have been added. I am still testing it, but it seems to work fine for my t769.

WILL NOT WORK ON EXHILERATE

If any moderator wants me to remove DL links and close thread, notify me immediately.

This is my personal ROM, I build one after every CM nightly that comes out. I'm just uploading it here/my Dropbox for anyone who wants the same experience.

What exactly have I done?
-UberKernel v1 1.89GHz stock clock
-Removed CM's annoying Statistics and Bug Reports
-Removed stock CM apps
-Added ES File Explorer Free in place of CM File Manager
-Added Kernel Tuner
-Added stock 4.2 AOSP Launcher in place of Trebuchet
-Replaced CM's Torch with the one from CM10 (now has strobe, a useful feature that was removed in KitKat)
-Replaced Browser with AOSP 4.1.2
-Added Anthony Resario's Afterburner theme
-Replaced CM's boot screen with a generic Android boot screen
-Replaced DeskClock with the AOSP equivalent from 4.1.2
-Removed some live wallpapers
-Added Link2SD system app

How to install
1. Make sure you have a recovery installed. If not, I will be uploading an Odin-compatible package in the future. I recommend Philz Touch, although a different CM based recovery will work. Not tested on TWRP, use at your own risk.
2. Make a NANDROID backup.
3. Wipe Data
4. Wipe /sytem
5. Wipe /cahce
6. Factory reset
7. Install ROM
8. Wipe the Dalvik
9. Factory reset
10. Reboot, and keep an eye on it. Apps will prompt for SU on boot.
11. After it's done, reboot and install GApps if you want/need them.

DISCLAIMER:
I am not responsible if you brick, fry, or otherwise destroy your device as a result of flashing this ROM. I will not claim liability or replace your device. All features included in this ROM are properties of their respective owners, I merely assembled them into one place.

Changelog:
1/10/2016 - First beta/testing release

Planned features:
-Better DSP manager
-New default background
-possible shutdown sequence
-Flash Player support
-maybe 2.0GHz clock rate if it doesn't burn my device
-Tweak battery/4G
-Button light fix
-AOSP KitKat launcher

DOWNLOAD LINKS:
Newest Version:
Dropbox
Google Drive

Older versions:
Dropbox
Google Drive

XDA:DevDB Information
NoobROM 4.4.4, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4G

Contributors
SiberianLeopard, SiberianLeopard
Source Code: http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=t769&type=

ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
Based On: Cyanogenmod

Version Information
Current Beta Version: 0.7
Beta Release Date: 2016-01-10

Created 2016-01-10
Last Updated 2016-01-10

Last edited:
Reactions: Indole

SiberianLeopard

Oct 27, 2012
Somewhere
New nightly coming! Stay tuned!

Development will also branch to the MyTouch 4G Slide and the Samsung Galaxy Epic 4G Slide.

Last edited:

SiberianLeopard

Oct 27, 2012
Somewhere
Whats the battery life on this build??!

I'm behind on a nightly, so not as good as normal. Right now, my Blaze hasn't had its 4 year old battery replaced, but when on standby with WiFi, min/max frequency set to 192/1890MHz and Governor set to Samsung with a ROW I/O scheduler, get about 3 days until it completely dies. The temperature sensor in my battery is shot, so I can't accurately report temperatures until I can find a decent OEM battery replacement. WiFi doesn't work properly, which is a bug in the kernel I have to fix in the updater script. My suggestion (until I fix various things with my ROM) is to download the latest CM nightly, flash UberKernel V1, and use Link2SD to uninstall all of the CM bloatware. If you're feeling adventurous and daring you can flash this and report the results.

PowSniffer0110

Apr 26, 2010
Ogden
Im on Validus by GZRoms 4.4.4 and the thread seams to be closed.... Cant ask questions. I have NO more internal space, with barely any apps installed. It partitioned my internal to have its on storage, built in SD, and my ACTUAL external SD. I cannot figure how to move apps to SD, it will not work, Ive tried the app2sd fixes, ive gone to apps and enabled 'App moving' and rebooted. No dice. Any help?

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

My battery life is terrible most times on Validus 4.4.4 as well, even with the UBER 4.1 kernel. Thats why i asked you about the battery life on yours cause I need more. Have you used that 4.4.4? That one and yours seem to be the only ones and I need to be able to move apps2sd so I can actually have the apps I want. Literally have only 10 apps installed probably.

SiberianLeopard

Oct 27, 2012
Somewhere
Im on Validus by GZRoms 4.4.4 and the thread seams to be closed.... Cant ask questions. I have NO more internal space, with barely any apps installed. It partitioned my internal to have its on storage, built in SD, and my ACTUAL external SD. I cannot figure how to move apps to SD, it will not work, Ive tried the app2sd fixes, ive gone to apps and enabled 'App moving' and rebooted. No dice. Any help?

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

My battery life is terrible most times on Validus 4.4.4 as well, even with the UBER 4.1 kernel. Thats why i asked you about the battery life on yours cause I need more. Have you used that 4.4.4? That one and yours seem to be the only ones and I need to be able to move apps2sd so I can actually have the apps I want. Literally have only 10 apps installed probably.

Try Link2SD, and try my ROM. I just released a new nightly, the WiFi should work, if not I need to update it again.
Also, the Blaze only comes with 1.4GB of internal storage. I use PA GApps pico, and install anything else I actually use (like maps and Hangouts Dialer). GApps can easily take up massive amounts of space. Battery life has been fixed in my latest nightly. Please try out the ROM and see what it does. You have to do a FULL SYSTEM WIPE, except for EFS and RADIO partitions. I use PhilZ Touch. app2SD is frankly a terrible app in comparison to Link2SD, which is included in my ROM. If you use the SAMSUNG governor and ROW I/O scheduler and the battery life still sucks, get a new battery. If you also constantly have 4G, Wifi, and Bluetooth as well as NFC on, that will definitely drain your battery. Open Battery Stats in Settings and tell me what uses the most battery. Turn your screen brightness all the way down.

PowSniffer0110

Apr 26, 2010
Ogden
Try Link2SD, and try my ROM. I just released a new nightly, the WiFi should work, if not I need to update it again.
Also, the Blaze only comes with 1.4GB of internal storage. I use PA GApps pico, and install anything else I actually use (like maps and Hangouts Dialer). GApps can easily take up massive amounts of space. Battery life has been fixed in my latest nightly. Please try out the ROM and see what it does. You have to do a FULL SYSTEM WIPE, except for EFS and RADIO partitions. I use PhilZ Touch. app2SD is frankly a terrible app in comparison to Link2SD, which is included in my ROM. If you use the SAMSUNG governor and ROW I/O scheduler and the battery life still sucks, get a new battery. If you also constantly have 4G, Wifi, and Bluetooth as well as NFC on, that will definitely drain your battery. Open Battery Stats in Settings and tell me what uses the most battery. Turn your screen brightness all the way down.
I'm downloading now and gonna test the link2sd and the battery life. Is this what you're running still?

SiberianLeopard

Oct 27, 2012
Somewhere
Every time I try to install setup wizard fails and the phone doesn't fully boot correctly. Any suggestions??

If it's the Cyanogenmod setup wizard, I cannot help, as I said development has been halted until I can get another Blaze.
It if's the Google setup, boot the phone without flashing GApps a few times, finish the CM setup wizard, change a few settings, browse the web. After that then flash GApps and add an account through settings.
Another thing you can try is booting the phone in Safe Mode by holding the Vol+ and Vol- keys during boot.

shmargin

May 18, 2009
I can't seem to be able to clear the defaults for Launcher so that I enable a new one. Am I missing something or is it just not possible?

SiberianLeopard

Oct 27, 2012
Somewhere
Sorry, I should have said, I tried looking there too, I don't have a home option anywhere in settings, not under personalization, or anywhere else that I can find.

Use Link2SD to make the launcher you want a system app and then uninstall the one I included. I just bought another Blaze (mine was stolen) so I will resume development as soon as it arrives.

Also, how do you like the ROM? Does everything function properly?

By the way, the thanks button is right at the bottom of all of my posts.

Last edited:
Reactions: PowSniffer0110

PowSniffer0110

Apr 26, 2010
Ogden
Use Link2SD to make the launcher you want a system app and then uninstall the one I included. I just bought another Blaze (mine was stolen) so I will resume development as soon as it arrives.

Havent used it much, everytime I try and install, I get the error of Setupwizard force close and can never set up the ROM. When is your Blaze arriving? Any chances we will get any new updates or advances? I will try and reinstall today.

SiberianLeopard

Oct 27, 2012
Somewhere
Havent used it much, everytime I try and install, I get the error of Setupwizard force close and can never set up the ROM. When is your Blaze arriving? Any chances we will get any new updates or advances? I will try and reinstall today.
I don't know when, probably next week and depending upon where CM source is at in development we might see NoobROM 5.1. I like KitKat better, and this is more of a personal project so it might stay KitKat with 5.1 APIs.

I might just scrap the CM wizard. It's pretty useless and only serves its purpose for new users.

Reactions: PowSniffer0110

PowSniffer0110

Apr 26, 2010
Ogden
Development has been halted as of now because some tw@t stole my Blaze. I'm saving for a new one but I kinda need the $70 because its part of my food budget.
Hey I got it up and running pretty well, couple problems.... battery charged all night over night and my battery will not move past 26%. I dont think this is ROM specific as I was having weird battery issues before. I don't know what to do tho? And I have quite a few Force Closes of apps, including Facebook, and ESPN. They force close regularly and are pretty much unusable. Valadis ROM seemed a lot more stable. I love the link2SD tho it works almost flawless! I can now have my apps back, even tho 1 of 2 internal storage still shows only 20+MB free internal? Why? I have all my apps installed externally. Anyway, if we flash a different kernel, or the one from Valadus ROM, will it break the link2SD feature?? Idk what it is, but that ROM is smoother and less Force Closes. I'll keep running this and look forward to an update!

SiberianLeopard

Oct 27, 2012
Somewhere
Hey I got it up and running pretty well, couple problems.... battery charged all night over night and my battery will not move past 26%. I dont think this is ROM specific as I was having weird battery issues before. I don't know what to do tho? And I have quite a few Force Closes of apps, including Facebook, and ESPN. They force close regularly and are pretty much unusable. Valadis ROM seemed a lot more stable. I love the link2SD tho it works almost flawless! I can now have my apps back, even tho 1 of 2 internal storage still shows only 20+MB free internal? Why? I have all my apps installed externally. Anyway, if we flash a different kernel, or the one from Valadus ROM, will it break the link2SD feature?? Idk what it is, but that ROM is smoother and less Force Closes. I'll keep running this and look forward to an update!

Slow down, speed racer.

To answer your questions:
Q. What's wrong with my battery?
A. The Blaze is known for battery issues. Go into recovery, wipe everything (SD card, system, dalvik, factory reset, and data+cache), and then flash a new ROM. If your battery issues persist your battery is shot. Order a new one online.

Q. Is your kernel stable?
A. It's as stable as I could get it. If you're having trouble with FCs, reinstall PA GApps 4.4.4.

Q. Will flashing a new kernel break the ROM?
Short answer: Yes.
Long, complicated answer: No.

Q. I have no space left.
A. To free up internal storage, make sure your SD card is at least 16GB, I recommend 32 for this ROM. Install all the apps you want and then get rid of the Play Store. I use Blackmart, and will include it in the next update.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello. This is my first ROM, based off of Cyanogenmod. A few Cyanogen features have been removed, and some non-CM features have been added. I am still testing it, but it seems to work fine for my t769.

WILL NOT WORK ON EXHILERATE

If any moderator wants me to remove DL links and close thread, notify me immediately.

This is my personal ROM, I build one after every CM nightly that comes out. I'm just uploading it here/my Dropbox for anyone who wants the same experience.

What exactly have I done?
    -UberKernel v1 1.89GHz stock clock
    -Removed CM's annoying Statistics and Bug Reports
    -Removed stock CM apps
    -Added ES File Explorer Free in place of CM File Manager
    -Added Kernel Tuner
    -Added stock 4.2 AOSP Launcher in place of Trebuchet
    -Replaced CM's Torch with the one from CM10 (now has strobe, a useful feature that was removed in KitKat)
    -Replaced Browser with AOSP 4.1.2
    -Added Anthony Resario's Afterburner theme
    -Replaced CM's boot screen with a generic Android boot screen
    -Replaced DeskClock with the AOSP equivalent from 4.1.2
    -Removed some live wallpapers
    -Added Link2SD system app

How to install
    1. Make sure you have a recovery installed. If not, I will be uploading an Odin-compatible package in the future. I recommend Philz Touch, although a different CM based recovery will work. Not tested on TWRP, use at your own risk.
    2. Make a NANDROID backup.
    3. Wipe Data
    4. Wipe /sytem
    5. Wipe /cahce
    6. Factory reset
    7. Install ROM
    8. Wipe the Dalvik
    9. Factory reset
    10. Reboot, and keep an eye on it. Apps will prompt for SU on boot.
    11. After it's done, reboot and install GApps if you want/need them.

DISCLAIMER:
    I am not responsible if you brick, fry, or otherwise destroy your device as a result of flashing this ROM. I will not claim liability or replace your device. All features included in this ROM are properties of their respective owners, I merely assembled them into one place.

Changelog:
    1/10/2016 - First beta/testing release

Planned features:
    -Better DSP manager
    -New default background
    -possible shutdown sequence
    -Flash Player support
    -maybe 2.0GHz clock rate if it doesn't burn my device
    -Tweak battery/4G
    -Button light fix
    -AOSP KitKat launcher

DOWNLOAD LINKS:
    Newest Version:
    Dropbox
    Google Drive

Older versions:
    Dropbox
    Google Drive

XDA:DevDB Information
    NoobROM 4.4.4, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4G

Contributors
    SiberianLeopard, SiberianLeopard
    Source Code: http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=t769&type=

ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
    Based On: Cyanogenmod

Version Information
    Current Beta Version: 0.7
    Beta Release Date: 2016-01-10

Created 2016-01-10
    Last Updated 2016-01-10
    Sorry, I should have said, I tried looking there too, I don't have a home option anywhere in settings, not under personalization, or anywhere else that I can find.

I don't know when, probably next week and depending upon where CM source is at in development we might see NoobROM 5.1. I like KitKat better, and this is more of a personal project so it might stay KitKat with 5.1 APIs.

I might just scrap the CM wizard. It's pretty useless and only serves its purpose for new users.