USB Storage Enabler

Search This thread

MCChang

Aug 4, 2009
Works as a charm for my Lumia 900.
My computer's Explorer can recognize the phone and its contents.
My question is, is there any way to force the PC to recognize the phone as a drive (with an assigned drive letter, and viewable on Computer Management)? I'm asking this, as I'm trying to retrieve photos from the phone which Nokia Service Center deleted when they reset the phone.

Thanks lots.

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
No method known, sorry. Contrary to the thread title and assumptions of many, this tool does *NOT* enable USB Mass Storage on your phone. Instead, it merely un-hides the MTPZ (Media Transfer Protocol, Zune extension) device, which happens to be your phone, from Explorer. Although MTP[Z] devices expose what appears to be a hierarchical filesystem, they are not considered blok storage devices and as such can't be mapped as drives.

MCChang

Aug 4, 2009
No method known, sorry. Contrary to the thread title and assumptions of many, this tool does *NOT* enable USB Mass Storage on your phone. Instead, it merely un-hides the MTPZ (Media Transfer Protocol, Zune extension) device, which happens to be your phone, from Explorer. Although MTP[Z] devices expose what appears to be a hierarchical filesystem, they are not considered blok storage devices and as such can't be mapped as drives.

Thanks 'GoodDayToDie' :)

BMXJeff

Jul 8, 2010
Romsey, UK
codepen.io
issues?.....

Thanks to the Dev, this is awesome!

Couple of issues/queries:

• Cannot move large files 1GB+ onto the device without getting the error "the device has stopped responding or is disconnected" (see attachment ErrorCopy.jpg) at the end of the process, then I have to disconnect and reconnect to use again as all directories appear empty or not there at all. I am breaking files down with WinRAR to about 700MB to copy onto the device and can only move one at a time as batch copy results in the same error. Seems ok with small files.
  • Second issue is that when plugging my phone into another computer (e.g WIN XP) without .NET 2, Zune or having run the unlock tool on that computer, I cannot see my phone/SD. Do you have to follow the procedure in post 1 on every computer you want to have 'USB Flash' functionality? If this is the case then I can't plug my phone into a TV or any other USB device, making it nothing like a USB flash drive! Maybe I have misunderstood the job this tool is doing...

Please let me make clear I am not complaining just trying to get to the bottom of what the limitations of this tool/WP7 are and if what I'm experiencing is normal because there seem to be no mention of the above issues in this thread.

Thanks again to the dev and thanks in advance for any feedback/help :confused:

Attachments

• ErrorCopy.jpg
    ErrorCopy.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

jojobanin

Dec 27, 2010
Pag
Every thing works fine for me. But i have some problem with music, i transfer the artist to a music file on my phone and it transfers but when i go on my phone it listed it like a unknown artist and album name.

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
@BMXJeff: The first issue is weird; probably some limitation in MTPZ or possibly somewhing weird about the phone.
As for the second issue... um, why would you assume otherwise? This is a purely PC-side change, it has absolutely no effect on the phone. As I mentioned above, all that this tool does is tell Windows Explorer not to hide the phone (which it sees as a Media Transfer Protocol, Zune extension AKA MTPZ device, *NOT* a USB Mass Storage device like a flashdrive). Since every PC has their own copy of Windows Explorer, yeah, you have to tell each one separately...

@jojobanin: It's possible (probable, from your description) that adding music files to the phone through this method doesn't cause the phone's Zune database to get updated (or at least, not correctly). Thus, while the files are present can can be played, the tag info for them was never stored in the database so it isn't displayed in the Zune app.

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
@jojobanin: It's possible (probable, from your description) that adding music files to the phone through this method doesn't cause the phone's Zune database to get updated (or at least, not correctly). Thus, while the files are present can can be played, the tag info for them was never stored in the database so it isn't displayed in the Zune app.

There is some other database, not sure where it is stored but ive had instances where all my music vanished off the music lists on the phone, yet the files were still there until you sync it with the computer which promptly deletes those files off the device, presumably because zune believes you intended to delete them off your device.

BMXJeff

Jul 8, 2010
Romsey, UK
codepen.io
@BMXJeff: The first issue is weird; probably some limitation in MTPZ or possibly somewhing weird about the phone.
As for the second issue... um, why would you assume otherwise? This is a purely PC-side change, it has absolutely no effect on the phone. As I mentioned above, all that this tool does is tell Windows Explorer not to hide the phone (which it sees as a Media Transfer Protocol, Zune extension AKA MTPZ device, *NOT* a USB Mass Storage device like a flashdrive). Since every PC has their own copy of Windows Explorer, yeah, you have to tell each one separately...

I delved into this a little deeper since my post and I now completely understand what this tool does. It makes a simple registry change on the host pc to allow it to see the MTPZ device/phone and definitely NOT a flash drive! I had seen the reg mod before but I got excited when I read 'flash drive tool' and thought it would be a phone hack letting me use my WP7 as exactly that! It's a habit of mine, dive in without reading properly :p

Thanks for the info. I guess you could create a separate FAT32 partition accessible via MAGLDR and the 'USB MASS STORAGE' option. I refuse to carry a USB stick when I have a 32GB SD sat in my pocket. What do you think, have you seen this done?

dazza9075

Jul 22, 2007
Suffolk
I delved into this a little deeper since my post and I now completely understand what this tool does. It makes a simple registry change on the host pc to allow it to see the MTPZ device/phone and definitely NOT a flash drive! I had seen the reg mod before but I got excited when I read 'flash drive tool' and thought it would be a phone hack letting me use my WP7 as exactly that! It's a habit of mine, dive in without reading properly :p

Thanks for the info. I guess you could create a separate FAT32 partition accessible via MAGLDR and the 'USB MASS STORAGE' option. I refuse to carry a USB stick when I have a 32GB SD sat in my pocket. What do you think, have you seen this done?

isn't there an xbmod CAB that partitions the Leo for android, that would probably work, my leo is dead so cant help im afraid, because most Things LEO are very specific to that device despite it technically being a WP7 device, you will get more support over on that forum, but perhaps you can get it to work. use the cabs to partition for android, then using a a desktop based partitioning tool change those new partitions to a usable FAT partition, then use USB storage in MAGLDR to access it.

cant promise that you wont wipe your devices but its a starting point for you :)

GoodDayToDie

Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Honestly, the owner of this thread (or possibly even a mod) should rename the thread. It's a lie. What this hack does has nothing to do with "USB [Mass] Storage" and the distinction is confusing to people who aren't familiar with the details of how WP7 communicates with PCs.

I propose "WP7 in Explorer" instead of "USB Storage".

BMXJeff

Jul 8, 2010
Romsey, UK
codepen.io
TRUE USB mass storage - solved!

isn't there an xbmod CAB that partitions the Leo for android, that would probably work, my leo is dead so cant help im afraid, because most Things LEO are very specific to that device despite it technically being a WP7 device, you will get more support over on that forum, but perhaps you can get it to work. use the cabs to partition for android, then using a a desktop based partitioning tool change those new partitions to a usable FAT partition, then use USB storage in MAGLDR to access it.

cant promise that you wont wipe your devices but its a starting point for you :)

I couldn't find the xbmod CAB you mentioned or anything similar but I have managed to manually set up a FAT32 partition on my SD card without affecting the WP7 rom to use as a REAL usb flash drive! This runs alongside the WP7 installation. In other words you cannot access the WP7 directories but the separate partition acts as true USB mass storage compatible with any device that would normally accept USB mass storage.

Quite simply I have WP7 and true USB mass storage on my HD2!

I don't have time now but I'll do a write up and guide tomorrow night.

Peace :cool:

EDIT 19/11/2012: Having further USB issues not specific to the USB storage solution. Will be back with guide when I have sorted my USB file transfer problem and am sure it is 100%...

Last edited:

soulburnerms

May 17, 2012
yup.... still working like a charm in a Lumia 800 WP 7.8 using the second method to work =)

34eukgj.png

thanks very much! =)

Last edited:

Vuelta91

Nov 6, 2008
Works great with my unlocked HTC Titan with Dynamics v2.0 rom and PC Windows 8 pro x64. :good:
Thanks.

Last edited:

Zigzaczek

May 11, 2016
Hello
cell is seen as a disk storage OK
But how to recover from his pictures.
Recovery programs do not see the device.
I think that there is a program that will see the windows phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello together :)

I developed an "USB Storage Enabler" Tool for Windows phone 7, so you can easy enable or disable the WP7 USB functionality.

You need to have Zune installed and one device connected for least one time.
    To enter the USB Storage you'll close Zune.

Now you can use your phone like a simple USB Stick :)

This tool requires .NET 2.0.

usbstor.png

Yeah, it looks like an another known and great tool ;)

Here is the download link for you:

WP7 USB Storage Enabler
    German post on the original page

I've tested this software on NT 6.x (Vista + 7). Please use this software at your own risk.

You only see emtpy folders? Try this:

Normal way:

1. Start Zune and connect your device
    2. Click on "Enable" in the USB Storage Enabler Tool
    3. Close Zune (or your folders are empty)

If your problem still exists, try this ( Thank you fonck03 :)):

fonck03 said:
    1 connected phone to PC
    2 restared phone still connected to pc(just off and on)
    3 synced with zune
    4 enable usb unlocker tool

@ this point I had my phone listed on "computer" with the storage folder, but no sub folders inside (music, photos, all that)

5 closed zune (still no sub folders)
    6 diconnected phone and reconnected, worked!!
    cool thing! works perfect with my htc mozart.

thanky, bro!
    hey cool, leider funktionierts net!
    Very ineresting, but when I launch the program on my PC, Win7 starts to search solutions for the program that's not responding

Oh,... try to run this tool as an administrator. (maybe UAC or somethings is blocking some registry functions)