[TUTORIAL]How to unpack/repack .apk files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

asjain275

Oct 26, 2011
Hi, I am unable to install after repacking the apk. I tried with Winrar or Formatter. I have a rooted SGS2. I get parsing error. I edited few values in the apk and repacked it. The extension is .apk and I have installed third party apps checked. I can installed the same apk I did not unpack the unpacked one gives me parsing error.

I have Custom ROM Litening 6.1

ubuntunerd

Oct 2, 2011
Hi, I am unable to install after repacking the apk. I tried with Winrar or Formatter. I have a rooted SGS2. I get parsing error. I edited few values in the apk and repacked it. The extension is .apk and I have installed third party apps checked. I can installed the same apk I did not unpack the unpacked one gives me parsing error.

I have Custom ROM Litening 6.1

i find my self in the same deal i can install them after formatter compiles them back to apk any help is much appreciated thanks

despotovski01

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 1, 2011
Skopje
I'm going to close this thread, because I'm no longer supporting the program, and this method is not the best. The best tool for editing and unpacking .apk files out there is APK Manager.
Thanks for your support!
Aleksandar Despotovski

KnowledgeBroker

Sep 7, 2010
Daytona Beach, Fl
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Hey guys!
I've made another tutorial. This one is about unpacking and repacking .apk files. This tutorial was made for people who don't want to mess with Command Prompt, or for those who want to do it in graphical user interface.
-------------------------------------------------
Requirements:
-An archive manager, such as WinZip, WinRar, or Power Archiver, that is capable of extracting and making .rar archives
-Formatter (it's a program made by me) - click here to download it. Mirror: http://www.mediafire.com/?5a74bjg475er75d
Tutorial:
Just follow the steps and you will learn how to unpack/repack .apk file in no time!

How to unpack .apk files:
1. Open Formatter (I assume you already have it downloaded and installed on your computter)
2. Click the "Choose File" button and choose your apk file. Then, in the first text box, enter ".rar" (without quotes). After that, enter your desired name for your .rar archive and click the big "Rename!" button
FormatterScreenshot2.png

3. Go to the folder where your .apk file was. You should see a .rar archive, named by the name you entered in Formatter. Extract it with your archive manager

How to repack .apk files:
1. Compress the extracted files in a .rar archive (compress them normally like any other archive)
2. Open Formatter
3. Choose the .rar archive you made a minute ago
4. Set the format to .apk
5. Set the name to whatever you want
6. Click the big "Rename!" button
FormatterScreenshot1.png

Mac OS X users: follow this tutorial (special thanks to daisun):

That was about it. If you have any problems or questions, feel free ask me. Hitting the "Thanks" button is very appreciated. Feel free to click it if I helped you. ;)

I will suggest people be careful with MUcommander for osx, it WAS working perfectly, but at some point it has corrupted every zip file I put out- those zip files read as having a broken hierarchy(broken zip) and won't unzip- they still install on android.. but I have a feeling that something is corrupted in the zip that could create unwanted flaws in a system.
I'm just saying to anyone who uses mucommander to check to make sure zip apks or updates WILL unzip- if it is corrupted do not use it!

Reactions: mazyar244
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys!
    I've made another tutorial. This one is about unpacking and repacking .apk files. This tutorial was made for people who don't want to mess with Command Prompt, or for those who want to do it in graphical user interface.
    Requirements:
    -An archive manager, such as WinZip, WinRar, or Power Archiver, that is capable of extracting and making .rar archives
    -Formatter (it's a program made by me) - click here to download it. Mirror: http://www.mediafire.com/?5a74bjg475er75d
    Tutorial:
    Just follow the steps and you will learn how to unpack/repack .apk file in no time!

How to unpack .apk files:
    1. Open Formatter (I assume you already have it downloaded and installed on your computter)
    2. Click the "Choose File" button and choose your apk file. Then, in the first text box, enter ".rar" (without quotes). After that, enter your desired name for your .rar archive and click the big "Rename!" button
    FormatterScreenshot2.png

3. Go to the folder where your .apk file was. You should see a .rar archive, named by the name you entered in Formatter. Extract it with your archive manager

How to repack .apk files:
    1. Compress the extracted files in a .rar archive (compress them normally like any other archive)
    2. Open Formatter
    3. Choose the .rar archive you made a minute ago
    4. Set the format to .apk
    5. Set the name to whatever you want
    6. Click the big "Rename!" button
    FormatterScreenshot1.png

Mac OS X users: follow this tutorial (special thanks to daisun):
    daisun said:
    For those still interested in editing apks on OS X without unpacking and hence without resigning I have found something that works!

muCommander! Just rename the .apk to .zip and browse it using muCommander just like you would using WinRar! Just tested it, I was able to add and remove files without resigning. The modified apk installed on my phone without a problem!

As for editing xml values you can simply copy the xml file out and edit it using your favourite editor and then copy them back in.

Hope I was able to help some OS X users.

/edit By the way, this method (WinRar or muCommander) also works for editing update.zip. This means you can customise the rom (add/remove system apks, change the boot animation etc) before you flash it.
    That was about it. If you have any problems or questions, feel free ask me. Hitting the "Thanks" button is very appreciated. Feel free to click it if I helped you. ;)
    Why to use special application just to change an extension of some apk file? o_O I think it's much easier to:

• Choose to open all *.apk files with archive tool. Then set "apk" as extension of output file when compressing.
    • or disable "hide extension of known files" feature in Windows and change file extensions normally - by renaming them.

Also does above tutorial really work? I mean .apk files are zip archives, not rar and I doubt Android can open rar archives.
    Erm, no offense, but this is a bit dim.

You don't need any special programs to check out what's going in an apk. In fact, you don't even need to rename the apk, you can just open the apk using WinRAR or 7Zip, both will handle it just fine.

If you really need renaming, just uncheck "Hide known extensions" in the Explorer options.

This is just a really convoluted and ultimately uneccessary way of doing this.
    I made the tut like this because I didn't know you can hide known extensions in Windows Explorer. I know you can open the apk with every archive manager.

:X You knew how to build a program that had to do with file extensions but you didn't know about hiding known extensions? It's been around since XP (at least), man.

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to antagonize you. It's a decent effort, I just think it's a bit overkill. Might be a good idea to paint the tutorial in a different way, such as "If you don't want all your extensions showing all the time (which is what the "hide extensions" option would do if disabled), use my guide for those one-off times where you need to rename them".

:)
    Extremely useful app and instructions, thanks very much for this, now time to play :)