[Android 2.3.1+][22.10.2016] Remote Release v1.32 [USB HOST REQUIRED]

Search This thread

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Remote Release allows you to "remote release" your Canon EOS DSLR from your Android device with only a USB cable.

Remote releasing is using a remote control to activate the shutter of the camera. This is to prevent shaking the camera, and is often used with bulb shots and/or tripods.

This app is the little (free) brother of DSLR Controller @ XDA.

Features

- Activate the camera's shutter button from your phone over USB, just like using a remote release cable
- Enable/Disable Auto-Focus *
- Support for bulb shots (hold shutter button) *
- Support for continuous shooting (hold shutter button) *

* Depends on camera model. Requires a DryOS based camera. See DSLR Controller's device compatibility page.

Requirements

- An Android device with an ARMv7-A or newer CPU architecture (virtually all 1ghz+ devices)
- Supported Canon EOS DSLR

When connecting over USB:
- Not rooted: Android 3.1 or higher with USB host kernel+API support **
- Rooted: Android 2.3.1 or higher with USB host kernel support **
- The correct USB adapter, if applicable

** USB host kernel support can usually be determined by connecting a USB stick to your device, and seeing if the device can read files from it. (hint) USB sticks are often mounted at /sdcard/usbStorage/sda/.

Devices

Please see DSLR Controller's supported devices page for device compatibility information. Please let us know if it works on an unlisted device !

Usage

Getting started

- Install the application.
- Connect your camera to the phone/tablet, and turn it on. Half-press the shutter button if it was already on.
- If a popup comes up that offers to open Remote Release, press it, and move on to Operation below.
- If a popup does not come up, manually start Remote Release. A Superuser popup should appear, click allow. If this took more than a few seconds, Remote Release will complain it cannot find a camera, regardless if you have one connected or not. Exit the app, half-press the shutter button on the camera, then restart the app.
- If a popup appears that tells you your device is not compatible, this is the end of the line for you.

Operation

After you have connected your camera and started the app, the app will show you the following:

- Camera model
- Current shutter setting (depending on camera mode)
- Current aperture setting (depending on camera mode)
- Current ISO setting (depending on camera mode)
- Current drive mode setting

Below that you will see three buttons:

- Auto-Focus button
- Shutter button
- Button to open DSLR Controller in the Market

If your lens is set to Auto-Focus and you are using a DryOS based camera, you can use the Auto-Focus button to select if focusing is triggered by pressing the shutter button. By default it is, but it is not always desired. If your lens is set to Manual-Focus, this setting has no effect.

Pressing the shutter button will take a picture on your camera. If the camera is set to bulb mode or to continuous shooting, press-and-hold the shutter button - the bulb/continuous capture will stop once you remove your finger from the screen.

Download

The download is attached. Alternatively, you can download it from Google Play

Attachments

• screenshot-remote-release.png
    screenshot-remote-release.png
    71.3 KB · Views: 861
  • RemoteRelease-v1.32.apk
    430.8 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

aleadam

Feb 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Nice job :)

It's working nice on an AT&T SGS2 running on an Hellraised VillainRom 3.0 and a Rebel T2i.

Can't wait to try the full dslr controller now. It's been a long, patient wait!

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Should be on the market in a few hours :)

EDIT: DSLR Controller v0.75 (which works on rooted SGS2 and Notes) has been released... could be another day before the Android Market actually updates, though !

Last edited:
Reactions: eddruat

Sharcy

Dec 27, 2010
My phone is an LG Optimus 2x (P990), but the market says the app is not compatible. What is that based on? And will it be compatible in the future?

jonas18z

Dec 20, 2006
I did a test with nexus s and I 5d mark II and with android 4.0.3. I get message that no device found.

jonas18z

Dec 20, 2006
Last edited:

TommyPickles

Jan 9, 2008
Logitech Revue - Google TV support?

Any chance whether this will work on Logitech Revue ie. Google TV? Imagine blown up 42" or 55" at 1080p quality images.. mmm tasty :D

Kalavere

Feb 12, 2010
Would it be possible to integrate a Nikon version? Not that I need it, I have a wireless shutter release, I'm just curious. :p

Kalavere

Feb 12, 2010
If you want to send me some Nikon hardware, lol :D

(This is too complicated to do remotely without actual hardware in-hand)

As much as I trust you, which I do! I use my camera as a second source of income so I couldn't stand to loose it for any longer than a couple of days. ^_^

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Remote Release allows you to "remote release" your Canon EOS DSLR from your Android device with only a USB cable.

Remote releasing is using a remote control to activate the shutter of the camera. This is to prevent shaking the camera, and is often used with bulb shots and/or tripods.

This app is the little (free) brother of DSLR Controller @ XDA.

Features

- Activate the camera's shutter button from your phone over USB, just like using a remote release cable
    - Enable/Disable Auto-Focus *
    - Support for bulb shots (hold shutter button) *
    - Support for continuous shooting (hold shutter button) *

* Depends on camera model. Requires a DryOS based camera. See DSLR Controller's device compatibility page.

Requirements

- An Android device with an ARMv7-A or newer CPU architecture (virtually all 1ghz+ devices)
    - Supported Canon EOS DSLR

When connecting over USB:
    - Not rooted: Android 3.1 or higher with USB host kernel+API support **
    - Rooted: Android 2.3.1 or higher with USB host kernel support **
    - The correct USB adapter, if applicable

** USB host kernel support can usually be determined by connecting a USB stick to your device, and seeing if the device can read files from it. (hint) USB sticks are often mounted at /sdcard/usbStorage/sda/.

Devices

Please see DSLR Controller's supported devices page for device compatibility information. Please let us know if it works on an unlisted device !

Usage

Getting started

- Install the application.
    - Connect your camera to the phone/tablet, and turn it on. Half-press the shutter button if it was already on.
    - If a popup comes up that offers to open Remote Release, press it, and move on to Operation below.
    - If a popup does not come up, manually start Remote Release. A Superuser popup should appear, click allow. If this took more than a few seconds, Remote Release will complain it cannot find a camera, regardless if you have one connected or not. Exit the app, half-press the shutter button on the camera, then restart the app.
    - If a popup appears that tells you your device is not compatible, this is the end of the line for you.

Operation

After you have connected your camera and started the app, the app will show you the following:

- Camera model
    - Current shutter setting (depending on camera mode)
    - Current aperture setting (depending on camera mode)
    - Current ISO setting (depending on camera mode)
    - Current drive mode setting

Below that you will see three buttons:

- Auto-Focus button
    - Shutter button
    - Button to open DSLR Controller in the Market

If your lens is set to Auto-Focus and you are using a DryOS based camera, you can use the Auto-Focus button to select if focusing is triggered by pressing the shutter button. By default it is, but it is not always desired. If your lens is set to Manual-Focus, this setting has no effect.

Pressing the shutter button will take a picture on your camera. If the camera is set to bulb mode or to continuous shooting, press-and-hold the shutter button - the bulb/continuous capture will stop once you remove your finger from the screen.

Download

The download is attached. Alternatively, you can download it from Google Play
    --- this one too! ---
    --- mine mine mine ---
    Should be on the market in a few hours :)

EDIT: DSLR Controller v0.75 (which works on rooted SGS2 and Notes) has been released... could be another day before the Android Market actually updates, though !
    There's no point in getting DSLR Controller if Remote Release doesn't work. Also, I know what your problem is.

You are using an HTC device.

HTC disables USB host functionalities on their devices, even though those devices are perfectly capable of using USB host (argh).