Best RSS Reader App

Search This thread

fr_ju

May 17, 2013
Just for your information: I developped a new opensource feed reader named FeedEx with a simple and modern UI and some advanced fonctionnalities (helpers to find new feeds, filters, full text recovery, ...)

Do not hesitate to try it and tell what's wrong :p

Play link: play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.fred.feedex

(sorry, I'm a new user and can't post the true link...)

dbroid

May 14, 2013
MiniRead

MiniRead is the best RSS reader. You will see the feeds moving on your device screen in news ticker style. You will see the updates even while doing other tasks and will never miss any update.

Very much customizable and innovative among RSS reading apps.

Play store link
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dbroid.flexirss.trial

Pro version
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dbroid.flexirss

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

MiniRead is the best RSS reader. You will see the feeds moving on your device screen in news ticker style. You will see the updates even while doing other tasks and will never miss any update.

Very much customizable and innovative among RSS reading apps.

Play store link
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dbroid.flexirss.trial

Pro version
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dbroid.flexirss

qx876

Sep 13, 2012
Howdy, how has the transoition been for everyone?

Greader pro was rather smooth, but a few feeds arent shown correctly now, showing a 404 page.

Apart from that, all was quite pleasant.

Did you guys manage to eyport/import/migrate all your starred items?

Happy rssing.

one less gadget.

guthrien

Feb 26, 2011
Feedly saved the day for me. Fully transitioned for a few months. They were ready and offered some great mobile apps.

ionic0611

Dec 11, 2008
I'm not a hardcore RSS user but I recently moved to Positive News Reader because of the newspaper-like UI.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What don't you like about JustReader? My go to tablet reader. Pictures show up pretty good, though not perfect. As for why an app doesn't do what you want it to do, trust me, it's a stupidly hard thing to do. You'd think it would be built in to android to make that an option, but by the time you are allowed to measure pixel size, all the automatic calls have passed. It takes some rewriting of how views measure themselves. I went through that with my Read It Later app I was working on before I canned it when Pocket came out.

For the apps that overcame that issue (JustReader being one of them) you then have the problem of online pictures being small. A 320x480 picture would be about 2.7" diagonally on a 7" 1280*800 screen. If you look at a feed like The Verge that uses large pictures, you will seem them fill edge to edge (on JustReader). However, other places use much smaller pictures. Then you have the problem that a lot of places send smaller pictures over RSS. For example, LifeHacker uses ~600x400 pictures on their website, but half that size on their RSS page. I will say I wish Just Reader handled images a little better in that it still centered the picture above the text (not hard to do, but I guess that was the devs design choice), but it scales pictures up to, but not past the devices native resolution, but it cannot magically make pictures higher res. None of these can. The alternative is super pixelated larger pictures.

*I don't mean to sound like a JustReader fanboy, it's simply the app I use and have experience with. I'm sure many of the other apps handle this the same way. I also feel that this is the most "Reeder" like app I've used. In fact, I prefer it due to the more customizable swipe gestures.
    gReaderPro. Best RSS reader available for Android from the functionality point of view, if you subscribe to dozens of feeds like I do it is really the way to go. If your RSS needs are more casual stuff like Flipboard and Currents or Pulse may suffice (prettier to look at).
    I use Feedly, works great on android and on desktop in Firefox or chrome

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    Use Taptu that can integrate with Google reader and social networks etc :)
    ReaderHD. That's my favorite RSS reader app..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app