Anyone in USA really concerned about losing 3G?

Search This thread

brucewilsonpa

Mar 24, 2006
PA
Like many of us I've been salivating at the prospect of the HD's large screen and, having decided that as good as my Touch Pro keyboard is, I don't use it enough to hold out for an HD with a keyboard (if there is even one in the roadmap). But..... I'm still smarting at not having 3G on my Touch Pro (and I know our XDA-Developers team may yet lick that limitation) so I'm seriously questioning whether I should go for the HD knowing it may never have 3G capability in the USA. Anyone else share this concern?

Last edited:

th1nm1nt

Feb 3, 2007
Mile High State
My need for 3G is about 10% of its total use...and my Edge network isn't exactly a snails pace. My Raphael is the best phone I've ever had, and I truly enjoy the ability to customize it. I am jumping ship and getting the HD without second thought. If the Elite team cracks the 3G...that's just the icing on the perfect raphael cake I have.

Blob8me

Nov 1, 2006
Spalding
My need for 3G is about 10% of its total use...and my Edge network isn't exactly a snails pace. My Raphael is the best phone I've ever had, and I truly enjoy the ability to customize it. I am jumping ship and getting the HD without second thought. If the Elite team cracks the 3G...that's just the icing on the perfect raphael cake I have.

Looks like we'll be here together too then th1nm1nt! :cool: Although I'll keep the Pro for a while once I have the HD just in case......

blacksage

Jan 4, 2008
Boone, NC
I share

yeah, ummm, no 3G coverage here, don't care, lol. your 10%, well I am about 1%, just when I travel and can't hardly tell a difference anyway. Two things: Either the HTC rep that gave us bad news about the arrival of Blackstone in US is not telling the truth or doesn't know the truth to tell it. OR..... HTC really has the wrong idea about consumers in the US. Surely they realize that we want the device because of the many other improvements that it brings. The improvements in performance and the killer screen does it for me. I have owned PDA phone after PDA phone starting with the old Verizon xv6600, which by the way has a large screen compared to kaiser and many others and I know a breakthrough when I see one. If they really don't plan to release this device, then they had better be working on a 3G version with or without a sliding keyboard that runs windows mobile 7. If their really going to skip around generations and stuff, that wm7 device better arrive on time and on par with the iPhone in refinement and usability. They should make a device that people don't really need to cook ROMs to be satisfied with. Do it right the first time, don't take backwards steps, don't take baby steps either. Turn one foot directly in front of the other, in full force and confidence; the smart way. I want it now!

Pawel062

Dec 29, 2006
Like many of us I've been salivating at the prospect of the HD's large screen and, having decided that as good as my Touch Pro keyboard is, I don't use it enough to hold out for an HD with a keyboard (if there is even one in the roadmap). But..... I'm still smarting at not having 3G on my Touch Pro (and I know our XDA-Developers team may yet lick that limitation) so I'm seriously questioning whether I should go for the HD knowing it may never have 3G capability in the USA. Anyone else share this concern?

i think maybe its hidden and we can unlock it(if i get it, ill try to unlock the usa 3g) and if not maybe i can get ahold of a prototype with usa 3g. if not then oh well. ill keep it and sell it once they make one with usa 3g. i say if ur really worried then wait.......:p;)

SomethingWicked

Jan 14, 2007
A small town in Oklahoma
I go all over the USA daily while driving my truck, and I've noticed that I get the big [H] in every 3G area I come to, so 3G is very important for me, but I'm still going to retire my Polaris when the HD comes out. I'll just hope and pray daily that someone figures out how to give us 3G... :)

beachboyde

Aug 3, 2008
Millsboro, Delaware
www.myspace.com
I go all over the USA daily while driving my truck, and I've noticed that I get the big [H] in every 3G area I come to, so 3G is very important for me, but I'm still going to retire my Polaris when the HD comes out. I'll just hope and pray daily that someone figures out how to give us 3G... :)
We finally got 3G here when I live in Millsboro Delaware. After installing Solace I to get the Big H now. I was either dumb or confussed. LOL However after the good people on here explained that H is better then 3G I was delighted. Not sure why. Called ATT said it was a little better, well faster and was fine for me to use with my unlimited plan.
Solace 1.5 is so smooth I just can't believe that I'd think of getting or replacing my Tilt. I think I finally found the phone for me.
Beachboyde/Jon

The Juggler

Aug 3, 2006
I switched from the Tytn 2 over to the Diamond not too long ago. I gave up 3G for slimmer form factor. I barely notice the difference. Maybe occasionally when I use YouTube or Opera, I wish I had a faster connection, but my day to day use of corporate push email is unaffected.
I would like to see the XDA pros open up 3G on these phones, but I feel the features are worth living with EDGE.

...but then again, I've been tempted to pick up a Slingbox lately too. Not sure I'd trust Slingplayer running on E.

wsouza

Dec 1, 2006
Keller
T-mobile USA has 1700 Mhz and 2100 MHz frequencies for 3G support.

This is what I got from their website
--------------------------------------------------------------------
What frequency does your 3G network support?

Our 3G network supports both the 1700MHz and 2100MHz frequencies.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

So... I'll try 3G there once I get mine....

wfhowell

Oct 1, 2007
3G or no 3G

I have a Touch Diamond with no 3G (edge only) and one with 3G. (the big H) .
To me, not a big enough difference to worry about. The Edge connection is actually fast enough for me. May a half sec. difference in connection to web pages. Im getting the Touch HD. Besides most of the time I'm on wifi anyway. No big deal

th1nm1nt

Feb 3, 2007
Mile High State
So what exactly determines if we can get 3G in the US? Is it the radio? I have never quite understood this part.

Not determined yet. The Elite team in the Raphael ROM forum does admit there is different hardware. They have connected to the US 3G, but don't think it is stable. They haven't finalized their research as of yet, but sure some more information will be coming shortly.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=420586

bartimeus

Apr 11, 2008
Springfield
ok so it is hardware inside the phone that differs between US and EU 3G?

So if the bands on the specs page of the phone list US bands then it should be good to go?

Not trying to hyjack the thread I am just curious.

Raziel1

Oct 15, 2008
So what exactly determines if we can get 3G in the US? Is it the radio? I have never quite understood this part.

As far sas i heard. its the onboard chip that does the differents. HTC said that on some of the old phones, where it got hacked and worked with 3G, hardware was there but not activated. thats why the people here could get it to work. But HTC stated that this is not the case in the HD. THey said that the HD can not be hacked to work with 3G, as it is not possible hardware wise for the HD to recieve 3g signals on the USA network

Pawel062

Dec 29, 2006
i believe i said this already once but its more of a matter of just the antennas and if they can recieve the usa 3g bands or not. the actual chipset i know can use the bands its a matter or just enabling them.

xboxhaxorz

May 23, 2006
Olympia, WA
I thought the 3g put a 3g icon not the big h? Thats how it shows on my friends tilt. Me i have not had 3g ever since i have used at&t lol cause i had the wizard and now the wing. Does 3g affect call performance or just data, if so i could care less about 3g then. Although i would rather no pay the premium price on the hd buying from europe :(