ICS GENERAL- For discussion on the ICS update

Search This thread

CrazyPeter

Sep 1, 2010
Not had any problems really.

I did notice once, that I pressed dial icon and got a blank page rather than the dialer, don't know how to reproduce it.

I saw it mentioned here somewhere, but can't find the post, or if the user worked out how to fix it.

rec71

Oct 16, 2011
Calne
This is driving me nuts. Can someone please try this for me:

1. Install Frisbee.
2. Play the game using touch controls for a few minutes.

If I do this then the touch controls suddenly stop working and won't work in other games (like Angry Birds) and only a reboot will fix it.

I'm so close to re-installing GB...

iridaki

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 21, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
Guys, I've been reading all the reactions to the new ICS update and, I have to say, I am a bit puzzled.

Here is why:

Almost every Arc (LT15) owner went ahead and flashed the update.

Now, just because your phones did not explode, it doesn't mean that it is OK that you flashed a firmware released for another model.

Sure, Arc and Arc S look very much alike on paper, but if they were exactly the same phone, they would also share the name, thus there wouldn't be an Arc S.

Furthermore, if the ICS update for the Arc S was suitable for the Arc too, why wouldn't Sony just say so, instead of having to deal with a flood of complaints from impatient Arc owners? And it is not like "they do it for marketing purposes because they want to sell their newest models", as by now all 2011 models are considered more or less 'out of date'.

So, what I am trying to say is that while admittedly there are bugs in the new ICS firmware (I've came across some myself), it is impossible to keep track of them since Arc owners are spamming the threads. I mean no offence to anyone, but this situation going on helps nobody in the end.

My suggestion is, someone open a new thread about ICS on LT15, where it would be easier to discuss on the bugs and shortcomings and just leave the rest of the discussions to the LT18 owners. After all, the official Arc update is just around the corner. And this place is enough of a mess as is. Let's try to make it a little tidier, for everyone's sake. :)

Just my 2 cents.

nikhil381

Apr 26, 2011
Lodi
ICS Bugs in ARC

Games not working for me :

1. Temple Run - Wayward touch response
2. Can knockdown 2 - No touch response
3. Riptide GP- Freezes

I have flashed ICS ARC S fiirmaware on Arc

rec71

Oct 16, 2011
Calne
I'm back on GB. The issues with touch controls in games are totally unacceptable. Sony need to pull this update, fix the problems and reissue.

Now I can actually play Temple Run!

iridaki

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 21, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
I have an Arc S and I do face the problems in Temple Run and other games as mentioned in the previous posts.

Bear in mind that due to the massive changes ICS introduced to Android,
there are still many, many apps that are not fully optimised.
I keep reading about people facing problems in Temple Run, but, for example, the games I play (Angry Birds, Cut The Rope, Dream Heights, etc) work just fine.
On the other hand Sygic Navigation, while it works, has many graphical glitches and the developers have already announced that they'll be updating it to accomodate the new Android version.
So, has any of the gazillion people complaining about Temple Run contacted the developer to get a definite answer on whether there are known problems with ICS devices?
I swear if I see another Temple Run bug post, I'm going to SNAP like a twig, like a twig! :D :D :D :p

Last edited:

PFM62

Feb 13, 2011
A problem that I have noticed with my Arc S since the upgrade to ICS, is that it loses the mobile network connection occasionally and then won't reconnect. If you try a manual scan of the networks, it then throws up an error message, only turing it off and then back on seems to fix t.

datagubben

Nov 25, 2010
Landskrona
Samsung Galaxy S21
I keep reading about people facing problems in Temple Run, but, for example, the games I play (Angry Birds, Cut The Rope, Dream Heights, etc) work just fine.
On the other hand Sygic Navigation, while it works, has many graphical glitches and the developers have already announced that they'll be updating it to accomodate the new Android version.
So, has any of the gazillion people complaining about Temple Run contacted the developer to get a definite answer on whether there are known problems with ICS devices?
I swear if I see another Temple Run bug post, I'm going to SNAP like a twig, like a twig! :D :D :D :p

I saw you post before about asking people not to mix up Arc and Arc S ROM and firmware in order to properly find the bugs of the ICS. I think you are right! But many people can't wait, it is part of human nature to be curious and try stuff even if...

I tried everything there is here on XDA, but went back to latest Nordic stock Arc GB and DL OC kernel plus some tweeks and UI cosmetics from the Xperia S.

I think it is the best for my Arc and I will think twice before updating to ICS with my single core CPU again.

I can make it function and look very good anyway... :):rolleyes::rolleyes:

Dark Fable

May 10, 2011
Dubai

You are right, I did do a little digging and Temple Run IS indeed registering incorrect swipes in all ICS devices. xD
Well, there are still some glitches like in Asphalt 6, Real Racing 2, FIFA 12, etc. I think I'm good with GB until Sony releases another update for ICS, I know it wont be before a month or two but worth the wait. [;

DdcCabuslay

Feb 18, 2012
ddccabuslay.blogspot.ca

I've emailed the Temple Run devs about the problem yesterday; still waiting for a response.
And I as well haven't had any problems with Angry Birds.

Captainblade

Aug 15, 2011
yorkshire
i flashed it on my arc and it has only one bug when i use certain apps and then go to main screen they go from alphabetical to a jumbled up order other than that is flawless and rooting was easier that GB

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    can i flash my ARC with Official ICS update for ARC S?

Yes,you can follow the following post : http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=24825196&postcount=103
    Press Thanks if i helped :)
    Worth keeping the direction...

So we are "lucky" to have another ICS update, after the first let-down experience with ICS.

I upgraded my phone yesterday. Well actually not upgraded, but installed from scratch a fresh new ICS, because I never had good experience with upgrading over existing ROM.

So, what is the impression...

After the first booting, everything seemed the same as before. Laggy home screen scrolling, laggy app drawer, the same user interface. But then some positive things started to happen. After few minutes and after some things settled in memory, system started to feel much more sleek and responsive than before.
    First thing to notice is that Phone/Contacts app is not laggy anymore, and it doesn't take few seconds to load as before. It's a shame that this terrible bug was ever present in the first place (in an OFFICIAL software), but given the circumstances, we must praise the fixing of this terrible bug.
    Second thing to notice, is that Camera app feels sleeker than before, and that video recording is not laggy anymore. But I should add that with image stabiliser turned on, you may experience some weird "jumps" if you move across the scene. So unless you're recording a still scene, don't use it. Camera picture quality is nice when you look at photos zoomed out, but when you zoom to 100% you will notice the same compression artifacts as on GB. Using 3rd party camera apps may improve results (Camera Zoom FX or Camera 360), but don't expect too much.*
    Talking about pictures, the third thing to notice is that gallery (Xperia gallery, not the other Gallery) feels faster than last time, and it is loading pictures, even when you have a lot of them, very fast.
    Regarding the LED notification, I see people reporting it still doesn't work properly with WhatsApp, but since I'm not using that app, I can say it's working fine with missed calls and messages, and that's all I need.***
    One more nice thing I noticed, is option "Reject with message" on incoming calls, which appears in the bottom of the screen. I'm not sure was it present in the last update, but I didn't notice it back then. I needed this option a thousands of times before, so thumbs up for this one.
    Browsing seems as fast as on GB, Play Store as well, and all other apps are tolerable regarding speed.
    Wireless seems stable till this moment also...**
    Battery seems to drain a little bit faster than on GB, but it's tolerable. I fully charged it last night on 23:15 and I left wireless and Music player turned on till this morning (unintentionaly - I sleeped with earphones). Also, I was intensively browsing last night while listening music, and this morning as well. And now my battery shows 35% of charge (14:05).

*Update 1:
    After some additional testing during the day, I can say that Camera app is definitely improved, regarding picture quality. Compression is not as bad as on GB, and tiny details are much clearer now, especially in low light scenes and macro focus. Also, photos size (not resolution-wise, but megabyte-wise) are almost doubled now (about 60-70% to be precise).

**Update 2:
    After 2 days of testing, I can say that wireless is improved compared to GB, regarding network catching speed, and connection speed. Browser (Dolphin) is now loading and rendering pages much faster compared to GB. Also, I haven't lost connection even once in these two days, and it was happening occasionally on GB, in the middle of page loading.

***Update 3:
    For some weird reason, there IS LED notification for some messages, and there is NO LED notification for others (even from the same sender).

So, to conclude. Compared to last ICS update, this one seems much more polished, complete, functional. Few bugfixes are there, and it doesn't feel as crippled, half-finished product, as it was last time.
    If you saw my impression on last update, you could see that I was extremely disapointed, and that I switched to GB immediately. This time, even I still think that GB is much more functional, I think this update is worth keeping, for anyone who wants to have a fresh and up-to-date software. You will have a little bit choppier experience compared to GB, but tolerably functional and fresh software.
    It is your choice...

Note: DO NOT update OfficeSuite app, as you will be offered to do so immediately after the first Play Store launch, along with other 7 apps. The other ones you can update as you wish, but for some reason, when you update OfficeSuite, the system starts to hang terribly. Maybe it's something individual, but in my case it was like that.

Cheers...
    Guys, I've been reading all the reactions to the new ICS update and, I have to say, I am a bit puzzled.

Here is why:

Almost every Arc (LT15) owner went ahead and flashed the update.

Now, just because your phones did not explode, it doesn't mean that it is OK that you flashed a firmware released for another model.

Sure, Arc and Arc S look very much alike on paper, but if they were exactly the same phone, they would also share the name, thus there wouldn't be an Arc S.

Furthermore, if the ICS update for the Arc S was suitable for the Arc too, why wouldn't Sony just say so, instead of having to deal with a flood of complaints from impatient Arc owners? And it is not like "they do it for marketing purposes because they want to sell their newest models", as by now all 2011 models are considered more or less 'out of date'.

So, what I am trying to say is that while admittedly there are bugs in the new ICS firmware (I've came across some myself), it is impossible to keep track of them since Arc owners are spamming the threads. I mean no offence to anyone, but this situation going on helps nobody in the end.

My suggestion is, someone open a new thread about ICS on LT15, where it would be easier to discuss on the bugs and shortcomings and just leave the rest of the discussions to the LT18 owners. After all, the official Arc update is just around the corner. And this place is enough of a mess as is. Let's try to make it a little tidier, for everyone's sake. :)

Just my 2 cents.
    videocamera is l lilbit laggy
    soundquality in videocamera is very low!
    battery drains fast!
    I have an Arc S and I do face the problems in Temple Run and other games as mentioned in the previous posts.