/system won't stay mounted as rw

Search This thread

chris.davis925

Dec 28, 2013
Hello all,

I have been trying to gain root on a Android 4.0.4 device and was able to, but I can't seem to keep system rw long term.

I run the following command

mount -o remount,rw /system
or
adb remount (from a PC)

the mount command will then show that system is in rw mode. However, if I attempt to copy any data into /system, the first file copy fails and the system then reports read only. To make things even more odd, commands like chmod on a file in /system work just fine.

It seems to me that there is something that detects something writing to /system, and then forces the mount back to ro.

Does anyone have any ideas about this? Is this a common technique manufactures use?
The closest thing I could find on XDA is a reference to Sony Xperia devices having a watchdog service that doesn't something like this, but this device is a Kenwood Head unit and not a Sony device.

Thanks!

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
Hello all,

I have been trying to gain root on a Android 4.0.4 device and was able to, but I can't seem to keep system rw long term.

I run the following command

mount -o remount,rw /system
or
adb remount (from a PC)

the mount command will then show that system is in rw mode. However, if I attempt to copy any data into /system, the first file copy fails and the system then reports read only. To make things even more odd, commands like chmod on a file in /system work just fine.

It seems to me that there is something that detects something writing to /system, and then forces the mount back to ro.

Does anyone have any ideas about this? Is this a common technique manufactures use?
The closest thing I could find on XDA is a reference to Sony Xperia devices having a watchdog service that doesn't something like this, but this device is a Kenwood Head unit and not a Sony device.

Thanks!

I would think that you might need to run a script to remount on boot perhaps, such as one along this idea http://www.3c71.com/android/?q=node/466. Like via init.d or if that isn't possible on this then maybe something like this could do it http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2378274 ?

Just spit balling ideas.

chris.davis925

Dec 28, 2013
Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that I wouldn't be able to do those options since system doesn't actually stay rw?