Usb host

Search This thread

sevnthperiod

Aug 23, 2011
So I know the usb host drivers have been deactivated for the KF. Has anyone determined where they are or how to activate/install them. That would be a great feature to add for us rooted ppl who haven't flashed a new Rom.

Sent from my KFTT using xda premium

jth747

Oct 11, 2010
Also interested

USB host would be one of the nicer additions to the Fire HD 8.9, wonder if anyone has come up with a way to enable it ?

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
USB Host

Hmmm, good idea. If Amazon did not disable this function in the Kernel it would be just a matter of finding a Ice Cream Sandwich USB apk and probably a couple of libs

I spent about 30 minutes trying to find this on Google without any luck. I have another idea! I have ordered the new Samsung Tablet which runs ICS, when it arrives I will take a peek in the system to see if I can find these files.

I will post my follow up in about 1 week.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Kindle Fire HD USB Host

Nice, sounds promising :)

Gilly10,

We are finding it a bit challenging since it is clear Amazon had no intention of ever using this port for external devices, so they do not have a power feed like other Mini USB Ports - either way, we have figured out how to get past that issue, now we are working on the driver to use on the Kindle Fire. We will post an update as soon as we have a definitive solution.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Kindle Fire USB Host

Just in case you missed it from another thread about this-
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2118506

Someone has a working method on the KF2 that might be portable to our device.

Geekybiker,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us a link. The link you are referring to is:

Device: Kindle Fire 2
Rooted and TWRP'ed with the Nightly of CM10.1 1-20-2013

The link you is very different to what we are attempting to do. We are trying to enable the USB Host subsystem with the stock OS and Kernel, which in the end may not be possible. Most custom Kernels have enable the USB Host as nFiniti discusses in the link provided. Also, the link is focusing on the Kindle Fire 2 only we are discussing all Kindle Fires in this thread.

Geekybiker

Sep 30, 2010
Chicagoland
Geekybiker,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us a link. The link you are referring to is:

Device: Kindle Fire 2
Rooted and TWRP'ed with the Nightly of CM10.1 1-20-2013

The link you is very different to what we are attempting to do. We are trying to enable the USB Host subsystem with the stock OS and Kernel, which in the end may not be possible. Most custom Kernels have enable the USB Host as nFiniti discusses in the link provided. Also, the link is focusing on the Kindle Fire 2 only we are discussing all Kindle Fires in this thread.

Right, but it talks about how to get around the power issue for example. I assume you've downloaded the open source kernel directly from Amazon? I was looking through all of the drivers they included, and it looks like the USB host drivers exist in the distribution. They must not be turned on by default. Might be as simple as recompiling the kernel, but I admit I'm a complete n00b when it comes to that sort of stuff.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Kindle Fire HD USB Host

Right, but it talks about how to get around the power issue for example. I assume you've downloaded the open source kernel directly from Amazon? I was looking through all of the drivers they included, and it looks like the USB host drivers exist in the distribution. They must not be turned on by default. Might be as simple as recompiling the kernel, but I admit I'm a complete n00b when it comes to that sort of stuff.

Geekybiker,

Although our love is Ubuntu, at the moment the only version of Ubuntu for the Kindle is the current desktop which is worthless on the Kindle. We are waiting for Ubuntu to release Ubuntu for Android which will be a nice custom platform for the end user that will allow you to use your Phone or Tablet as your primary computer at night and during the day, it is a normal powerful phone. Having said this, we will be compiling a Ubuntu Eternal for the Kindle when we are authorize to do so. Until then, we are placing most of our energy on improving the stock Kindle OS - you are correct, it should be a matter of compiling the Kernal to include the USB Subsystem, although if it was that easy someone would have done it by now. This has become a challenging task and may not become reality until we build or someone else builds a custom Kernel for the Kindle Fire.

We will post updates as we make progress. I do know XDA User Hashcode has done some amazing work for the Kindle Fire, maybe he is working on this option (if anyone can get this done it would be Hashcode) for his Kindle Kernel - only time will tell............

Top Liked Posts