How To Root The DROID RAZR HD On The Latest Software

Search This thread

Six_Three

Aug 16, 2013
I am creating this thread because I feel that people are unaware that you can still root the Droid RAZR HD with the latest software.

It's actually very simple.

Step 1 - Download the Droid RAZR HD Utility - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2307439

Step 2 - Boot into AP Fastboot (Power off phone, then hold the power button and volume up & down buttons - all 3 buttons simultaneously - scroll down to AP Fastboot then press the volume up key when AP Fastboot is highlighted to select it and boot into AP Fastboot)

Step 3 - Follow the instructions for the Droid RAZR HD Utility. Chose option 1. Your phone will be restored to 4.1.2 with the exploitable motochopper root.

Step 4 - Root with motochopper. I personally used the .zip not included with the Droid RAZR HD Utility - once you're on the exploitable version of 4.1.2 using the separate .zip or the Droid RAZR HD Utility to root shouldn't make a difference. Make sure you have the latest Motorola drivers and that you have USB debugging enabled before attempting to root.

Step 5- Download Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper from the Android Market. Use the protect root and then the temporarily unroot options.

Step 6 - Install the OTA update

Step 7 - Open Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper and restore root. You should now be successfully rooted with the latest software.

***This worked flawlessly for me, however on the Droid RAZR HD Utility thread it says not to use it with the latest OTA update. I used it with the latest OTA update and ran into no problems. Use at your own risk.***

If you feel that I have left anything out or care to share your experience please reply.

I am new to the boards but I thought this thread would be very helpful.

Aug 9, 2010
Baltimore
I am creating this thread because I feel that people are unaware that you can still root the Droid RAZR HD with the latest software.

Step 1 - Download the Droid RAZR HD Utility - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2307439

Step 2 - Boot into AP Fastboot (Power off phone, then hold the power button and volume up & down buttons - all 3 buttons simultaneously - scroll down to AP Fastboot then press the volume up key when AP Fastboot is highlighted to select it and boot into AP Fastboot)

Step 3 - Follow the instructions for the Droid RAZR HD Utility. Chose option 1. Your phone will be restored to 4.1.2 with the exploitable motochopper root.

Step 4 - Root with motochopper. I personally used the .zip not included with the Droid RAZR HD Utility - once you're on the exploitable version of 4.1.2 using the separate .zip or the Droid RAZR HD Utility to root shouldn't make a difference. Make sure you have the latest Motorola drivers and that you have USB debugging enabled before attempting to root.

Step 5- Download Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper from the Android Market. Use the protect root and then the temporarily unroot options.

Step 7 - Open Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper and restore root. You should now be successfully rooted with the latest software.

***This worked flawlessly for me, however on the Droid RAZR HD Utility thread it says not to use it with the latest OTA update. I used it with the latest OTA update and ran into no problems. Use at your own risk.***

If you feel that I have left anything out or care to share your experience please reply.

Maybe I am asking a dumb question, but does this method allow you to unlock the bootloader?

I am on version 9.18.79.XT926 and was wondering if this method would work for me. Were you on the same version or a different one?

Reactions: Phateless

pkomarnicki

Mar 12, 2009
Rooting and unlocking are two separate processes. If you're on 9.18.79, you currently can't unlock. Temporarily downgrading the software version doesn't change that. Sorry.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

beefytr

Mar 31, 2011
That's what I thought really regretting getting this phone now. This 4.1.2 versions of JB is horrendous.

the razr maxx hd on 9.20.1 is rootable via the the motochopper; however, a "factory-reset" prior to the rooting will be necessary. that necessarily means, back-up first as all will be wiped out.

enigmaco

Jan 6, 2011
Columbus
the razr maxx hd on 9.20.1 is rootable via the the motochopper; however, a "factory-reset" prior to the rooting will be necessary. that necessarily means, back-up first as all will be wiped out.

I have the droid razr hd not the maxx though, and its not the developer edition just the regular one through verizon oh well. Thank you for the assistance.

grnsl2

So though I could root and the bootloader is lock, am I able to flash cm rom?

For real? I've been doing a lot of reading a missing around trying to figure out if it's possible for me to install roms. This is the first place in actually found where it is no.

So at the end of the day if you're on the latest ota and I've got root going but I can't get a recovery installed. Is that the limitation or what's considered normal?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using xda app-developers app

RikRong

Feb 16, 2013
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6a
For real? I've been doing a lot of reading a missing around trying to figure out if it's possible for me to install roms. This is the first place in actually found where it is no.

So at the end of the day if you're on the latest ota and I've got root going but I can't get a recovery installed. Is that the limitation or what's considered normal?

You can use SafeStrap to flash SafeStrap compatible ROMs and make backups. SafeStrap is based off of TWRP but it doesn't actually replace your stock recovery (since you have a locked bootloader).

grnsl2

Sounds like good news.

It looks like I have the phone itself actually rooted using motochopper however I'm not able to get safe strap 100% working. Installs and then it says that installed the recovery however when you try to reboot into recovery it doesn't prompt you with the menu.

What's interesting to me is that I can use other programs that require root access far as I can tell with no issue, root checker shows root is available as well. Trying to reboot into recovery though does not give me the safety strap splash screen to choose any kind of recovery option. Just rolls into DROID...

Running OTA update at 9.18.79.

Last edited:

RikRong

Feb 16, 2013
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6a
Sounds like good news.

It looks like I have the phone itself actually rooted using motochopper however I'm not able to get safe strap 100% working. Installs and then it says that installed the recovery however when you try to reboot into recovery it doesn't prompt you with the menu.

What's interesting to me is that I can use other programs that require root access far as I can tell with no issue, root checker shows root is available as well. Trying to reboot into recovery though does not give me the safety strap splash screen to choose any kind of recovery option. Just rolls into DROID...

Running OTA update at 9.18.79.

To get into SS, you just need to boot normally. SS doesn't replace the stock recovery, so if you try to boot into recovery, you'll just get the stock menu. If you boot normally, then you should get the options to go into recovery or boot normally. If you don't get the two buttons at the bottom of the screen, then I would try removing and re-installing SS.

ModernZombie

Nov 14, 2011
Thanks

Thanks for this thread, all. The guidance in this thread helped me find my way to root on my 9.20.1 XT926 phone.

STuGGG

Aug 29, 2013
Stuck on "writing system"

I am in the first step of restoring my phone, but when I'm in the process of going through the first option in the utility, it is stuck on
"writing 'system'" a ways down the page, it started out working fine, but now is hanging on this and has been for about 20 mins, is this normal?

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
That's not normal, there is an updated utility in the development forum version 1.3+ there are also links to the new root method in that post if your bootloader is locked.

If your bootloader is not locked the utility and root in this thread should be working.

Sent from my XT926 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

drkdeath5000

Jan 17, 2010
Brilliant i just got a MAXX HD imported from the US ran the update yesterday and now i'm just finding out that as a result of the update i can no longer unlock the bootloader which puts a stop to my plans of being on android 4.3. Is there really no other way ? Maybe theres a chance my bootloader was already unlocked - how would i check ?

deeje00

Jan 8, 2011
There is no way to unlock anymore. If you were planning on going custom why even take the other? This is why people have to check before getting willy nilly with random ota's that don't do anything other then lock your phone generally. To check bootloader status boot into fastboot it'll either say locked or unlocked.

Sent from my PACMAN MATRIX HD MAXX

drkdeath5000

Jan 17, 2010
There is no way to unlock anymore. If you were planning on going custom why even take the other? This is why people have to check before getting willy nilly with random ota's that don't do anything other then lock your phone generally. To check bootloader status boot into fastboot it'll either say locked or unlocked.

Sent from my PACMAN MATRIX HD MAXX

It says locked so i'm definately stuck with it unfortunately.

I installed the update thinking it would be a better comparison for when i did go custom but never in a million years imagined it would lock anything. They really should include a disclaimer with these updates. I've been using android devices for years and have never encountered anything like this update - they've always been irreversible from my experience.

I've seen miracles performed on android though so this cant be the end. It just cant be !

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I have slight differences:

System version: 9.30.1.XT926.Verizon.en.US this is basically a device specific update number. there would be several versions between the last official version and the next official version that we never see. as the device manufacturer makes test builds they increase the number. that is why the last version was 9.20 and the current is 9.30, they didnt just jump .10. so this number is more or less a way for the manufarturers to track test builds on the lowest level.

Model number: DROID RAZR HD

Android version: 4.1.2 this is basically the base OS version as classified by google. the manufacturers take this base code (IE. windows 7-8 etc. in actuality jellybean, kitkat, etc) and adapt it into builds and system versions that can operate properly on there specific device. unlike windows where drivers for hardware can be easily installed, drivers/etc. have to be coded into the software to make the phone work properly. with the various hardware in each specific device, the build numbers and software versions do not relate in any way from one phone to another.

Build number: 9.8.1Q-94-1 this is the build number that the system version resides under. i believe this is just a number they pull out of there arse to classify the system version under. the build number directly relates to the device specific system version. i believe this doesn't change as they make test builds but i could be wrong.
    Build date: Thu Sep 26 11:56:01 CDT 2013

Will this work?

ill break it down for you in red above. i hope that makes a little sense.

the title of this thread is now deceptive because the latest software when this was posted is not the latest software now. there is no direct root for the latest software (system version) now.
    The only way to unroot is to FXZ. I don't think you can FXZ back to 9.16 (there is no full FXZ image for 9.18).

You could FXZ to 9.30.1 and then take the update, but there is NO root for Kit Kat and there is NO way to preserve root across the OTA to Kit Kat, so you will lose root if you have a locked bootloader, and I would not hold my breath for an exploit. Kit Kat takes care of a lot of other exploits, including the tethering Sqlite hack that allows you to get tethering for free. There is another hack to make it work, but you have to have root, which means you have to have an unlocked bootloader.

SamuriHL was looking at theory he had on getting root access, but it didn't pan out and he doesn't have an HD anymore, so he can't spend any more time on it. I'd say getting root for Kit Kat is probably close to nil.

he stated that he was unlocked "droid razr hd xt926 ver 9.18.94 and unlocked"

Maybe I am asking a dumb question, but does this method allow you to unlock the bootloader?

I am on version 9.18.79.XT926 and was wondering if this method would work for me. Were you on the same version or a different one?
    i have no idea why my DROID RAZR HD XT926 cannot updated. Current firmware is 9.18.94 updated via OTA last time ago and rooted. I used my phone using my country operator ( not verizon anymore ) and work well for gsm and cdma ( voice and data )
    I got notification update for 182.46.10 en US but everytimes I update via OTA failed and back to current 9.18.94
    I cannot update to 9.30.1 coz I lost my original data cable. how can I update direct via OTA as notification to 182.46.10 ?
    And 182.46.10 is KitKat 4.4???

you will probably need to fxz/sbf ,you don't need the factory cable just one that works but the factory one would be best then follow these instructions http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/45494-how-to-xt926-upgrade-to-kitkat-ota/ this is all thanks to @SamuriHL good luck.