[Q] T-Mobile LG Optimus F3 Forum?

Search This thread

shiftylock

Jul 18, 2009
Columbus, OH
Okay, so I know this phone doesn't exactly win the spec war, but it's awesome and would make a fantastic rooted phone. Unfortunately there isn't a forum here on XDA for the device (either because it's too new or there isn't a demand for it)

Do you guys think a forum will be made for this device? It'd be nice to at least have a place to say what root methods DON'T work (I've tried a few)

Thanks for the help, XDA rules!

yutzyscott

May 10, 2010
Another one

Sent from my LG-P659 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1378167227187.jpg
    1378167227187.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 651

inyourface09

Aug 9, 2012
Texas
More good news and more bad news

Good news first, djrbliss (creator of Motochopper) has added loki support for the f3. Should work on all variants seeing as the aboot should be the same.
Bad news even with a "loki'd" recovery you still get a factory reset when entering recovery (no matter what).

We are at the same place as the LG Motion, we are tracking down the flag that causes this. Once we do everything will be good. Just finding this flag that it sets to the partitions could take some time.

Also please be sure to thank djrbliss for adding support I personally cant thank him enough.
Once we do "find" this said flag we should be able to modify the recovery to overwrite it to stop the resets.

inyourface09

Aug 9, 2012
Texas
Loki is a security bypass created by djrbliss, when you "edit" a recovery or boot image before flashing it, it changes the header to overwrite the "security" that checks if the image is stock or not. and this allows for an insecure boot. So that even with a locked bootloader we can still flash a recovery that will work.
The only issue is that we need to track down a flag that is written to the partitions once you enter recovery to stop the factory reset that takes place.

In the stock recovery you can enter it without having a factory reset, but with the cwm one that i flashed once you enter recovery it sets the flag. Then once you reboot to system it wipes data and cache automatically. This is the same problem that the LG Motion has.

https://github.com/djrbliss/loki

Jan 9, 2013
Good news first, djrbliss (creator of Motochopper) has added loki support for the f3. Should work on all variants seeing as the aboot should be the same.
Bad news even with a "loki'd" recovery you still get a factory reset when entering recovery (no matter what).

We are at the same place as the LG Motion, we are tracking down the flag that causes this. Once we do everything will be good. Just finding this flag that it sets to the partitions could take some time.

Also please be sure to thank djrbliss for adding support I personally cant thank him enough.
Once we do "find" this said flag we should be able to modify the recovery to overwrite it to stop the resets.

Yowza! Great work, guys! Can't tell you how glad I am to hear this. Experimenting is a lot more stressful now that I'm outside the return window :).

firered365

Mar 30, 2012
Houston
Loki is a security bypass created by djrbliss, when you "edit" a recovery or boot image before flashing it, it changes the header to overwrite the "security" that checks if the image is stock or not. and this allows for an insecure boot. So that even with a locked bootloader we can still flash a recovery that will work.
The only issue is that we need to track down a flag that is written to the partitions once you enter recovery to stop the factory reset that takes place.

In the stock recovery you can enter it without having a factory reset, but with the cwm one that i flashed once you enter recovery it sets the flag. Then once you reboot to system it wipes data and cache automatically. This is the same problem that the LG Motion has.

I read the github file and I see that you have to "extract" (or something like adb pull) the file and put in the .lok file. Even after this, it will still trigger the flag still, right? Did y'all dump at the kernel files?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2013

A couple questions—(1) will I need to make any tweaks for the T-Mobile F3 (P659BK); and (2) does the factory reset restore the stock recovery, or the replacement recovery sans data? If the latter, then I'm all in this evening; nothing I can't put back myself :).

theskeemer

Nov 24, 2011
I used Motochopper, worked like a charm. make sure you have the LG Optimus f3 drivers on your computer.(found on LG website)

First off, I pledge $25 to anybody who posts step by step instructions for installing a working custom recovery on this device. Thanks to everybody working on this.

For those in the process of rooting, I wasted a little time looking for the drivers and for a motochopper link verified to work on this device. To help others out here is exactly what I did.

• Googled "LG Mobile Support Tool" and downloaded it from softpedia. The file is suspiciously labled B2CAppSetup.exe but it turned out to be the correct software needed to install the LG drivers.
  • Googled "motochopper" and used the first link (Galaxy S4) for both the download and instructions http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=40747604.
  • The first run of motochopper installed SU, but failed to achieve root. A second attempt did the trick!
To anybody considering this device, I was pleasantly surprised. The stock rom and launcher are really good and responsive. It has a big battery and a small screen so the battery life is fantastic! The lack of memory is an issue, but I have not found it to be a problem. I have 30 apps installed with room for at least 10 more.
Cheers,

Reactions: Whyzor
Jan 9, 2013
Agreed--I've been evangelizing motochopper here and elsewhere when someone asks, but I tend to forget to link/explain.

To those wondering, you can get it from the horse's mouth http://vulnfactory.org/public/motochopper.zip. As already noted, you'll also need the USB drivers (just plug in your phone, there should be an auto-installer). Finally, as with most roots, remember to enable USB debugging and set your phone to software mode under developer options and pc connection respectively.

Sent from my LG-P659 using xda app-developers app

dschach

Jan 6, 2009
First off, I pledge $25 to anybody who posts step by step instructions for installing a working custom recovery on this device. Thanks to everybody working on this.

For those in the process of rooting, I wasted a little time looking for the drivers and for a motochopper link verified to work on this device. To help others out here is exactly what I did.

• Googled "LG Mobile Support Tool" and downloaded it from softpedia. The file is suspiciously labled B2CAppSetup.exe but it turned out to be the correct software needed to install the LG drivers.
  • Googled "motochopper" and used the first link (Galaxy S4) for both the download and instructions http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=40747604.
  • The first run of motochopper installed SU, but failed to achieve root. A second attempt did the trick!
To anybody considering this device, I was pleasantly surprised. The stock rom and launcher are really good and responsive. It has a big battery and a small screen so the battery life is fantastic! The lack of memory is an issue, but I have not found it to be a problem. I have 30 apps installed with room for at least 10 more.
Cheers,

Once you have root, install the following apps from the play store

1. aparted (also install busybox which is required by aparted)
2. link2sd

With aparted you can create a second partition on the sd card. With link2sd you can install or move any app onto the second partition.

dschach

Jan 6, 2009
Can you write a tutorial.

If I have time tonight I'll write a quick F3 specific tutorial and post. Try googling for link2sd tutorial. I think there are a few out there already.

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

Can you write a tutorial.

Take a look at this page.

http://tutorialfor-android.blogspot.com/2012/06/link2sd-complete-tutorial.html

Reactions: firered365

yutzyscott

May 10, 2010
I only recently bought my f3. I went and swapped it for the f6 a couple of days ago. Happy with the switch and the f6 is also rootable with motochopper.

Sent from my LG-D500 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Jan 9, 2013

So, just to be clear, if I flash a zip package (e.g., a group of apps, or a privacy mod that relies on the stock firmware) it'll stick?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Bad news

I have created the recovery tree, and have created a recovery.img for this phone. ok now heres the bad news OUR lg optimus f3 has a stock 3.4 kernel with a locked bootloader. Even worse news is that 3.4 "locking" features a sha5 hash system for its image/partitions (recovery, boot, and bootloader). Even worse news there is no known (or atleast what i know or have heard) way to get around this. The phone will be forever locked until lg updates or allows said lock to be removed. I have flashed the recovery and have had no damage to my device but it just sticks at "unsecure recovery" and does a hard reset (factory restore) every time i try to play with it which is a huge flaw if you ask me.

I have hexedited the bootloader and found that there is indeed "juicy" strings within that may tell to a future unlock these strings being
    -Device UnLock!, so Boot Success!!
    -oem unlock
    -ERROR: Could not do normal boot. Reverting to fastboot mode

Also these strings could just be defualt with all lg bootloaders meaning....there is no hope.
    My phone is without a soul and I will never be buy lg again.

If anyone is able to get into fastboot
    1. PM ME :D
    2. run : fastboot oem unlock
    Again root for this phone works great as long as you dont touch recovery, bootloader, or boot partitions
    More good news and more bad news

@richardpwnsner

Where did you see the update? I just checked for updates on my F3 and didn't see anything.

Was pushed by T-Mobile. All that it appears to do is break motochopper, so I'd strongly advise against it pending additional information. Again: it appears to have rendered my device unrootable (pending manual rollback, which I'm way too lazy to do right now).

Cheers,

Once you have root, install the following apps from the play store

1. aparted (also install busybox which is required by aparted)
    2. link2sd

With aparted you can create a second partition on the sd card. With link2sd you can install or move any app onto the second partition.