Is there a 'true' remote control app (not media control)?

Search This thread

thearif

Feb 27, 2008
I use XMouse - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stripe1.xmouse - for remote control of my laptop from my phone. Linux-only, but windows versions of similar programs exist, of course.

I haven't found anything similar for smartwatches. In principle it'd only be useful as a mousepad, and a small one at that, but I think it'd be cool. Has anyone found anything similar?

Well I think we people are trying to do so much with these smartwatches that are not intented for. I can not see any use for what you are describing especially practicality of it. First of all, any app that you use on the watch is actually running on the phone. So if you want to remotely control your PC, just use the phone itself. Using your watch for that purpose will be extremely slow and would be much of an hassle rather than convenient. The touchscreen on the watch is nowhere close to the sensitivity of the touchsreen of any modern day smartphone. That is another issue. If you are really keen on using it as a mousepad only, without seeing anything on the watch, maybe than it maybe faster but than again it has to first communicate with the phone than the phone will communicate with the PC so again there will be hell of a lag...

But my answer to your question is I don't know any app that can do that at the moment. :D

Quarante-deux

Apr 26, 2013
Mons Belgium
It depends on what you wanna do

Well, that might answer your question. As far as I know, no "mouse" exists on watch but that doesn't mean you can't control your PC with your watch.

You might use Unified Remote, tasker and it's smartwatch's version. Unified remote is an app that enables you to control your PC wirelessly from your phone (for example, you can play or pause windows media center, launch any program...), very useful and customizable with paid version. Then, tasker is a really really useful app (maybe a bit hard to understand at first) with which you'll be able to activate only few options of your apps. Tasker live extension shows these options on the watch. I've never tried myself but give it a try and let us know.
I don't know if it's clear enough but, for example, I use sonos system (those are speakers connected to wifi that you control with a special app on your phone), using tasker and tasker extension, I can control sonos (play, pause, skip, volume,...) using my watch.

Of course, as the guy above me said, this will never as easy and fast as on your phone. However there are apps that are intended for controlling your PC.

PS : excuse me for my not-that-good-english.

Reactions: aseeme555076

ngoonee

Jun 21, 2011
I'm well aware of unified remote and tasker, I've bought tasker since years ago.

The problem is that there's no real way to translate mousepad-type movements to instructions. I have an idea using multiple hotzones in a UCCW widget so that the further away the touch is from the center of the screen, the further the mouse moves. Like a touch nib, the lenovo type.

In answer to the usefulness, why not use it to remote control the phone, not the pc? Android devices can be fairly big nowadays. Mine is 7.7 inches, if I had a 10 inch tab I can see wanting to put it up on the table, lean back, and remote control it.

Geoffxx

Apr 2, 2013
I'm well aware of unified remote and tasker, I've bought tasker since years ago.

The problem is that there's no real way to translate mousepad-type movements to instructions. I have an idea using multiple hotzones in a UCCW widget so that the further away the touch is from the center of the screen, the further the mouse moves. Like a touch nib, the lenovo type.

In answer to the usefulness, why not use it to remote control the phone, not the pc? Android devices can be fairly big nowadays. Mine is 7.7 inches, if I had a 10 inch tab I can see wanting to put it up on the table, lean back, and remote control it.

you can already do this, buy logitec wireless mouse and keyboard with the unify usb dongle, I have this for my laptop and it works on my Z1, I have a usb adaptor with a full size usb socket on the end and micro usb on the other - plugging into my Z1 gives full control using the mouse and keyboard

ngoonee

Jun 21, 2011
you can already do this, buy logitec wireless mouse and keyboard with the unify usb dongle, I have this for my laptop and it works on my Z1, I have a usb adaptor with a full size usb socket on the end and micro usb on the other - plugging into my Z1 gives full control using the mouse and keyboard

Well, my objective is to use what I'm already wearing rather than carry more gadgets =) already use a wireless mouse myself sometimes. Having peripherals which are the same size as my tablet isn't fun though

Sent from my GT-P6800 using Tapatalk

MonacodesAffaires

Apr 24, 2014
As soon as I find one, I WILL let you know

I'm on a quest to find an app that can REMOTE CONTROL my phone like a mouse or track pad...and as soon as I find it or build it...I will let everyone know about it. FOR THOSE OF YOU good for nothing, pessimist, dream killers, lack of vision, non-dreamers ...I say this...SOME OF US advanced business, guru, tech-geeks have projector phones or need to do presentations and have a phone machine that can do it. Besides my 2013 retina macbook pro or my i7 HP laptop, which im sure could do a fine job presenting or showing presentations through its screen or projector (attachment), I prefer to minimize my load of carrying stuff, specially when I ride my R6 to work meetings. So Mr. ngoonee YOU KEEP on searching and as soon as I find this coveted app I will let you know. Cheers

thearif

Feb 27, 2008
I'm on a quest to find an app that can REMOTE CONTROL my phone like a mouse or track pad...and as soon as I find it or build it...I will let everyone know about it. FOR THOSE OF YOU good for nothing, pessimist, dream killers, lack of vision, non-dreamers ...I say this...SOME OF US advanced business, guru, tech-geeks have projector phones or need to do presentations and have a phone machine that can do it. Besides my 2013 retina macbook pro or my i7 HP laptop, which im sure could do a fine job presenting or showing presentations through its screen or projector (attachment), I prefer to minimize my load of carrying stuff, specially when I ride my R6 to work meetings. So Mr. ngoonee YOU KEEP on searching and as soon as I find this coveted app I will let you know. Cheers
I guess I am one of those dream killers you mention. First of all, I am not trying to discourage anyone trying to do anything.
You can for sure use smartwatch as a presentation controller with buttons like the Logitech ones. It will work. But for practicality, I simply don't see sw2 being used as a mousepad. It is just my opinion and you don't have to agree with me.
So good luck with your search/app development.

Sent from my HTC One SV using Tapatalk

brooker88

Apr 5, 2014
I use XMouse - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stripe1.xmouse - for remote control of my laptop from my phone. Linux-only, but windows versions of similar programs exist, of course.

I haven't found anything similar for smartwatches. In principle it'd only be useful as a mousepad, and a small one at that, but I think it'd be cool. Has anyone found anything similar?

How does this actually work? i cant seem to use the app and theres no guides

brooker88

Apr 5, 2014
If you don't understand it it's not meant for you, only works with an X server meaning for Linux computers (possibly can be used for X apps in a mac)

Sent from my GT-P6800 using Tapatalk

I wanted to use it on Linux mint 17 but I'm new to Linux so guess I should give it a miss for now

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Well I think we people are trying to do so much with these smartwatches that are not intented for. I can not see any use for what you are describing especially practicality of it. First of all, any app that you use on the watch is actually running on the phone. So if you want to remotely control your PC, just use the phone itself. Using your watch for that purpose will be extremely slow and would be much of an hassle rather than convenient. The touchscreen on the watch is nowhere close to the sensitivity of the touchsreen of any modern day smartphone. That is another issue. If you are really keen on using it as a mousepad only, without seeing anything on the watch, maybe than it maybe faster but than again it has to first communicate with the phone than the phone will communicate with the PC so again there will be hell of a lag...

But my answer to your question is I don't know any app that can do that at the moment. :D
    It depends on what you wanna do

Well, that might answer your question. As far as I know, no "mouse" exists on watch but that doesn't mean you can't control your PC with your watch.

You might use Unified Remote, tasker and it's smartwatch's version. Unified remote is an app that enables you to control your PC wirelessly from your phone (for example, you can play or pause windows media center, launch any program...), very useful and customizable with paid version. Then, tasker is a really really useful app (maybe a bit hard to understand at first) with which you'll be able to activate only few options of your apps. Tasker live extension shows these options on the watch. I've never tried myself but give it a try and let us know.
    I don't know if it's clear enough but, for example, I use sonos system (those are speakers connected to wifi that you control with a special app on your phone), using tasker and tasker extension, I can control sonos (play, pause, skip, volume,...) using my watch.

Of course, as the guy above me said, this will never as easy and fast as on your phone. However there are apps that are intended for controlling your PC.

PS : excuse me for my not-that-good-english.