[ODEXED MODS](4.0.4 ATT) altODEXed "The Stock Monster" (v0.1 - NOV06.12)

Search This thread
D

Deleted member 3105162

Saw this thread as a traffic source in my blogger stats and thought I would check it out. Thanks OP for the reference and your contribution to the community.

You are correct when you state that "This is based on Stock Odexed MB865 2.3.6, and will probably not work on any other builds." Basically any odexed ROM based off of the stock 2.3.6 rom should have the same signature for the files you are modifying so the mods should work in that case, but anything else would be out of the question as the signature will surely change.

Reactions: alteredlikeness

alteredlikeness

Mar 2, 2012
reflecting on Indra's net
Saw this thread as a traffic source in my blogger stats and thought I would check it out. Thanks OP for the reference and your contribution to the community.

You are correct when you state that "This is based on Stock Odexed MB865 2.3.6, and will probably not work on any other builds." Basically any odexed ROM based off of the stock 2.3.6 rom should have the same signature for the files you are modifying so the mods should work in that case, but anything else would be out of the question as the signature will surely change.

Ha! At first, I was like "who is this guy?" Now, it all makes sense...:D
And, a very BIG thank you for those tutorials you put together... that was what finally did it for me... I basically just used steps 11 & 12 (the re-odexing part) from your orientation blog, but it was just what I needed. It was simply stated and well-explained, and lined up with everything else I was reading and trying.

Thanks again! (also let me know if you want me to remove the link to your blog at any time, I just thought it's best to share what I've learned - that way someone can come along and do it better/easier next time..;))

cainn24

Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
This put my a2 in a boot loop.. any 1 else had a prob or i just did something wrong?

Sent from my MB865 using XDA

After following the instructions I ended up stuck at the AT&T splash screen. The power button still worked for turning the screen off, and the volume keys seemed to still be functional, but that was it.

alteredlikeness

Mar 2, 2012
This put my a2 in a boot loop.. any 1 else had a prob or i just did something wrong?

After following the instructions I ended up stuck at the AT&T splash screen. The power button still worked for turning the screen off, and the volume keys seemed to still be functional, but that was it.

You guys are talking about the DEODEXED Indian ROM dropdown toggle mod posted in #4 (which has nothing to do with this thread) right???
I have put a warning in post #5 about it already...

Sent from my mind using XDA

cainn24

Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
You guys are talking about the DEODEXED Indian ROM dropdown toggle mod posted in #4 (which has nothing to do with this thread) right???
I have put a warning in post #5 about it already...

I can't speak for anyone else, but I was on the stock AT&T 2.3.6 ROM when I tried your mod. The only modifications I made were those required to get webtop booting off my SD card.

By the way, I like what you've done. I'll try it again soon from a completely fresh restore.

Last edited:

alteredlikeness

Mar 2, 2012
I can't speak for anyone else, but I was on the stock AT&T 2.3.6 ROM when I tried your mod. The only modifications I made were those required to get webtop booting off my SD card.

By the way, I like what you've done. I'll try it again soon from a completely fresh restore.

Oh... Are you certain that you wiped the cache partition and dalvik cache?
Please do let me know if you try again.. This is the first I've heard of issues with the zip.

cainn24

Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
Oh... Are you certain that you wiped the cache partition and dalvik cache?
Please do let me know if you try again.. This is the first I've heard of issues with the zip.

I just finished a complete restore. Flashed the 2.3.5 FXZ, updated to 2.3.6 OTA, rooted, installed the A2 bootstrapper, installed BusyBox along with init.d support, installed CWM on boot (and subsequently removed the A2 bootstrapper), did a complete backup, wiped the cache partition, wiped the dalvik cache, flashed your mod, and ended up stuck at AT&T's "Rethink Possible" splash screen again.

Quite a mystery huh?

Let me know if there's any other info I can provide you with.

alteredlikeness

Mar 2, 2012
I just finished a complete restore. Flashed the 2.3.5 FXZ, updated to 2.3.6 OTA, rooted, installed the A2 bootstrapper, installed BusyBox along with init.d support, installed CWM on boot (and subsequently removed the A2 bootstrapper), did a complete backup, wiped the cache partition, wiped the dalvik cache, flashed your mod, and ended up stuck at AT&T's "Rethink Possible" splash screen again.

Quite a mystery huh?

Let me know if there's any other info I can provide you with.

Very mysterious... but why do you subsequently remove the A2 Bootstrap? I will try to recreate this later... but, I would typically just root after the ota, re-install titanium backup (which has busybox), install the bootstrap, boot into recovery and install the cwm on boot zip, reboot, deny bootstrap, and then reboot again... i've never removed the bootstrap or worried about init.d support (except when installing Opptimizer or Milestone Overclock)... I will mess around with it later though..

Last edited:

cainn24

Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
Very mysterious... but why do you subsequently remove the A2 Bootstrap? I will try to recreate this later... but, I would typically just root after the ota, re-install titanium backup (which has busybox), install the bootstrap, boot into recovery and install the cwm on boot zip, reboot, deny bootstrap, and then reboot again... i've never removed the bootstrap or worried about init.d support.. I will mess around with it later though..

I only removed the A2 bootstrap simply because it's kinda redundant after you have CWM on boot working.

By the way, when I was sitting at the AT&T splash screen I'm pretty sure an SMS arrived. Further, I get a notification sound when I plug my USB cable in. So it's kinda like most of the system has booted behind the splash screen.

ETA: Actually, it has. It seems that I can still operate the phone. I just managed to power it down by pressing the power button, and touching the screen where I would normally see the power off option.

Last edited:

alteredlikeness

Mar 2, 2012
I only removed the A2 bootstrap simply because it's kinda redundant after you have CWM on boot working.

By the way, when I was sitting at the AT&T splash screen I'm pretty sure an SMS arrived. Further, I get a notification sound when I plug my USB cable in. So it's kinda like most of the system has booted behind the splash screen.

ETA: Actually, it has. It seems that I can still operate the phone. I just managed to power it down by pressing the power button, and touching the screen where I would normally see the power off option.

So, does it boot in to recovery when you turn it on? Because as far as I know, you still need the bootstrap - cwm on boot doesn't come with a bootstrap..

EDIT: I'm doing a backup now, and will experiment... my thought is that it has something to do with the bootstrap. If the bootstrapper and cwm on boot are working properly you shouldn't have to resort to the FXZ..

Last edited:

cainn24

Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
So, does it boot in to recovery when you turn it on? Because as far as I know, you still need the bootstrap - cwm on boot doesn't come with a bootstrap..

EDIT: I'm doing a backup now, and will experiment...

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I merely meant that I removed the app that installs it.

---------- Post added at 08:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

EDIT: I'm doing a backup now, and will experiment... my thought is that it has something to do with the bootstrap. If the bootstrapper and cwm on boot are working properly you shouldn't have to resort to the FXZ..

The only reason I restored from the FXZ and went from there was to ensure that I was working with a properly clean slate. It was a choice rather than a necessity. CWM on boot is working perfectly fine.

Oh, and by the way, thanks for your efforts in looking into this :)

alteredlikeness

Mar 2, 2012
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I merely meant that I removed the app that installs it.

---------- Post added at 08:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

The only reason I restored from the FXZ and went from there was to ensure that I was working with a properly clean slate. It was a choice rather than a necessity. CWM on boot is working perfectly fine.

Oh, and by the way, thanks for your efforts in looking into this :)

Not a prob.. well, it is a prob I guess, since it doesn't work for you for some reason... but, I am very curious as to this whole situation.. I gotta charge my battery before I go and get myself to the point of fxz...

What's the size of your mod zip that you downloaded? Maybe a corrupt/bad download.. I got 30.4 MB (31,178 KB, and 31,925,575 bytes:p - I never understood how Windows rounds the numbers... what size are they referring to?)

Last edited:

cainn24

Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
Not a prob.. well, it is a prob I guess, since it doesn't work for you for some reason... but, I am very curious as to this whole situation.. I gotta charge my battery before I go and get myself to the point of fxz...

What's the size of your mod zip that you downloaded? Maybe a corrupt/bad download.. I got 30.4 MB (31,925,575 bytes:p)

31,925,575 bytes here too. And it extracts without error, which it wouldn't do if it was corrupt. Nor were there any errors during installation.

There's no hurry alteredlikeness. I've restored /system and I'm up and running again so it's no biggie.

alteredlikeness

Mar 2, 2012
Can someone please verify that this is working on another phone?
I just hope that the apk/jar/odex signatures are not unique to each specific phone... that's the only thing I can think of, and in that case, if it doesn't work for you, then it won't work for anyone except me...

out of 30-odd downloads you think someone else would say something... though, not many odexers 'round here..

Reactions: cainn24

cainn24

Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
Just pulled BlurHome2.apk out of your zip, zipped it back up, and flashed it. Boots up fine. All the other features are there (drop down toggles, reboot option etc).

FWIW.

alteredlikeness

Mar 2, 2012
Just pulled BlurHome2.apk out of your zip, zipped it back up, and flashed it. Boots up fine. All the other features are there (drop down toggles, reboot option etc).

FWIW.

Good to know..:) Thanks!
We're you running a replacement home launcher? Shouldn't matter, but I just re-flashed the zip with no problem... I think that could be a signature issue since there's no .odex partner in there..

If you wanted to try out the rotation thing, I got another post with just that somewhere... and the removal here in the op... which, now I am curious if any of those are working... I will look into that.

Thanks again, for experimenting! :D

cainn24

Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
Good to know..:) Thanks!
We're you running a replacement home launcher? Shouldn't matter, but I just re-flashed the zip with no problem... I think that could be a signature issue since there's no .odex partner in there..

If you wanted to try out the rotation thing, I got another post with just that somewhere... and the removal here in the op... which, now I am curious if any of those are working... I will look into that.

ODEXrotateHome got me stuck at the AT&T splash screen as well, so NoRotateHomeODEX came in handy.

Am I correct in saying, then, that the only thing I am missing out on by not being able to flash your modded BlurHome2.apk is a rotating home screen? You didn't do any additional theming to it, or any other modifications?

Thanks again, for experimenting! :D

It's my pleasure :) Really. I'm trying to kill time this week anyway, and it's kinda fun.

ETA: Oh and no, I'm not using a replacement home launcher. In fact in my humble opinion, Motorola's launcher is one of the best ones around, so I've never felt the need with this phone.

Last edited:

alteredlikeness

Mar 2, 2012
ODEXrotateHome got me stuck at the AT&T splash screen as well, so NoRotateHomeODEX came in handy.

Am I correct in saying, then, that the only thing I am missing out on by not being able to flash your modded BlurHome2.apk is a rotating home screen? You didn't do any additional theming to it, or any other modifications?

Also, good to know. Thank you. So, it's definitely the odex file. And yea, you aren't missing out on anything.. only home rotation, I think. I'll be updating the OP, and possibly just making a separate update.zip for the rotation.

It's my pleasure :) Really. I'm trying to kill time this week anyway, and it's kinda fun.

ETA: Oh and no, I'm not using a replacement home launcher. In fact in my humble opinion, Motorola's launcher is one of the best ones around, so I've never felt the need with this phone.

Agreed. To all of that... good times, and smooth solid launcher..:D Thanks again for your help!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's baack... :D and updated for ICS.

***THESE MODS WILL ONLY WORK ON MB865 OFFICIAL AT&T ODEXED ICS 4.0.4 (..at this time - subject to change)***

Screenshot_2012-11-06.png

Basically, what we have here is a bunch of system files from Numa vB.2, re-odexed for those on Stock ODEXED AT&T ICS (or StockyEd).
    What's included?:
    -1% battery increments
    -toggles at bottom of pulldown shade
    -Blackberry 10 lockscreen mod
    -Windows Phone 7 style Recent apps screen mod
    -tap menu key to open lockscreen
    -unplug usb turns screen on
    -supercharger-patched services.jar
    -jb framework animations
    -maybe others..(?)
    (Please note that I was only going for the 1% batt, toggles, and lockscreen separately, but they are all tied together - give me some time to split them up and make them more stock-esque)

DOWNLOAD HERE
    -Make a backup first!! (In case you want to go back)
    -Wipe dalvik cache and cache
    -Install zip from sdcard

Files that will be changed:
    SystemUI.apk
    SystemUI.odex
    framework-res.apk
    android.policy.odex
    framework-ext.odex
    services.odex

I know, it was kind of a lazy route (just grabbing the files from Numa), and backwards compared with the original metamorphosis of the Stock Monster into Romulus, and later Remus.. but, I was just glad to have finally figured out the re-odexing thing... again.

Old OP:
    ***PROJECT MOVED TO ROMULUS***
    Links are still up and there is some good info buried in this post, so I will leave everything here for the time being.

NOTICE: THIS MOD PACKAGE DOES NOT WORK ON SOME INTERNATIONAL VERSIONS OF THE ATRIX 2 (POSSIBLY DUE TO MIS-MATCHES IN THE FRAMEWORK FILES - TRY ROMULUS INSTEAD, IT WILL REPLACE YOUR ENTIRE FRAMEWORK)
    -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Origins of The Stock Monster:
    This started out as a small personal project, then quickly grew out of my hands and formed a life of it's own... So, I decided it was time to release it out into the wild...:D

Theatrics aside... the truth is that basically, until now, there were no cool features like pulldown toggles, 1% batteries, reboot options, or any theme changes available to stock odexed rooted A2 users - those things only came with deodexed custom roms and mods for deodexed systems only (frankly, because it's a lot easier to mod a deodexed rom, and it makes updates simpler). But, I like a challenge (no offense or jabs at the great ROM builders we have got for the A2 - my hat's off to them - it is seriously amazing and hard work that these guys are putting into their creations)... Also, I tend to go more with the theory of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" - meaning that Android odexes the system for a reason - not sure if it's to hide away them there smali files to make it more difficult for people like us to mess with their stuff, or if it is truly for performance purposes only.

Nonetheless, I offer odexed users "The Stock Monster"...

MODS included:
    ~vertical battery w/ 1% increments
    ~quick-panel (dropdown) toggles
    ~reboot option in power menu
    ~carrier name removed
    ~menu button unlocks screen
    ~unplug turns on screen
    ~HSPA data distinguishable (?able)
    ~lightly themed (black, grey & stock)
    ~possibly more to come...

NOTE: This is based on Stock Odexed US AT&T MB865 2.3.6, and will probably not work on any other builds.

All mods/themes here were done by me, except: the 1% batt and quick-panel toggles - those I basically ported from the stuff I put together for VictoryROM (1% batt originally from JRW 28's set, I think - still not sure who to credit for all of the xml/smali edits on those; quick-panel toggles originally from SC rom maybe (?), icons are MIUI, I believe - had to GIMP a couple of the "-ing" images though;))

Big thanks to all the devs/builders/themers/modders and otherwise helpful folks here on xda.
    Feel free to PM me with any specific questions about these mods, I'd be happy to share what I have learned in the process.

Requirements:
    -ODEXED AT&T MB865 ROM
    -Root privileges
    -A2 Bootstrap

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage/issues caused to your phone.

To Install:
    -Download altEdisonODEXv2.2.zip to SD Card
    -(Optional, but recommended) Install CWM on Boot
    -(Optional, but recommended) Make a CWM backup
    -Boot into Recovery
    -Wipe Dalvik Cache & Wipe Cache partition
    -Install zip from sdcard
    -Reboot

Extras:
    See this post for the rotating/landscape homescreen mod and removal zip (make sure you download the proper ODEXED packages).

***EDIT (5/11/12 early AM)*** Now things are getting interesting...:D
    Though I've read plenty of "TUT's" and "HOW-TO's" on the whole deodexing, modding, then re-odexing thing (all of which helped, no doubt), and tried many different methods, approaches, and random pot-shots... it all finally came together and made sense after I found a link to this tutorial. Ironically, I was not researching default orientations, and I kind of skillfully winged it a bit.. but it worked well in the end. If anyone is interested in pursuing modding odexed files (it's not necessary to deodex for most themeing), you'll need the attached dexopt-wrapper file (unzip the zip first) on your phone in /system/bin with 755 permissions:
    X X X
    X....X
    X....X

***EDIT (5/12/12 - v1.0)
    Included homescreen rotation mod, and more unified black/grey theme (i.e. the "notifications" bar in the dropdown, pop-up headers, and re-did the shade handle, etc). I'll get back to working on the pulldown toggles soon..:D

***EDIT (5/13/12 early AM again - v2.0)
    Got them dropdown toggles in there :D, and, by chance, I stumbled across and enabled HSPA data recognition, so maybe you can see an H+ icon now (?? - modded, but not verified).
    Note: To actually enable HSPA data and get speed increases (I just flipped a switch in the SystemUI.apk to make it "distinguishable"), you will need to add or edit the following lines in your build.prop file:
    ro.ril.hsxpa=2
    - remove carrier text
    - quickpanel toggles

Done :)
    Updated OP: Made separate zip for homescreen rotation; added config_unplugTurnsOnScreen = true, and config_disableMenuKeyInLockScreen = false (and config_annoy_dianne = true, of course:D)
    thank you. i hope you keep going with this.
    Re: [ODEXED MODS](4.0.4 ATT) altODEXed "The Stock Monster" (v0.1 - NOV06.12)

Been rockin' this recently with the Honeycomb lockscreen on top (http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=9390169635556426098) - usually in between build trials after I botch my recovery one way or another and need to flash the stock system.img again... but it's hard to stay on ICS once you've tasted JB - even with the smooth rotation and overall stable-ness of stock.

Almost forgot about all these mods I was doing - they were fun, and I felt that the return on my investment was greater (or just quicker) than with all this fussing around source code and building and fixing, experimenting, updating, fixing again, and then starting over again, and again..

It's all sort of an evolution, I guess.. but these have been (still are) a great training grounds, and a great place to learn... thanks to everyone on xda and android.

Sent from my altODEXed phone's mind