[Q] explore android from windows

Search This thread

gazzacbr

Dec 3, 2007
Dubai
looking for a simple way to swap and mod a few system files on my HD2 Haret/SD android.
i am not developing anything, only changing.
i am ok with the terminal on the device (using BTEP) but its tedious.
what i need is to mount the phone on wndows 7 (or a MAC if thats easier) so i can copy and paste from the comfort of my own keyboard ;)
its a Haret/SD build, not nand.
thanks

gazzacbr

Dec 3, 2007
Dubai
thanks icke, yes 64bit windows 7, was hoping for a standalone program but specs say i still have to get ADB USB Driver from SDK.
i think thats where the problems were with other methods i tried.
looks just what i was looking for though.

Last edited:

RobE.

Aug 21, 2007
Yes, I'd like to do the same as the OP. That Androidcommander looks pretty interesting. Think I'll try it... But I see, I need to d/l and install the Android SDK... as a requirement for Androidcommander. Shouldn't be too difficult... But I see I need to d/l and install the Java Development Kit as a requirement for the Android SDK... wish I were a developer, so I'd have some use for these large programs!!!

Droid Explorer seems to have the same requirements. Is all this even worth it for a non-developer/programmer. Isn't there a better way to run a file explorer on an Android device from a desktop PC?

Haha Lol... with Windows or WM... I feel like a pro! with Android, I'm just a noob... Lol, Lol :D

(edit)... seems the more I read, the less (I realize) I know... for now. But all this above... I'll figure it out :) Not a problem! :)

Last edited:

RobE.

Aug 21, 2007
@ icke... thanks for the reco on androidcommander. And for anyone else reading, the install wasn't too difficult, inclusive of the SDK and the JDK. There were unexpected repercussions (not sure but certainly from the SDK or JDK install). Upon reboot... the WinXP Security Center didn't recognize my firewall or AV pgms... saying the system was unprotected, although both av & firewall were up & running.

The command prompt (cmd.exe), also wouldn't recognize anything typed. But... Google is my friend. One of these DK pgms (probably Java, but I dunno), blew-up the systems environment variable (Path), and so I had to recreate. Done and all is well. AC looks looks to be exactly what I wanted... and then some. Thanks again!

icke

Feb 12, 2007
Ahaus
Google Pixel 6
@ icke... thanks for the reco on androidcommander. And for anyone else reading, the install wasn't too difficult, inclusive of the SDK and the JDK. There were unexpected repercussions (not sure but certainly from the SDK or JDK install). Upon reboot... the WinXP Security Center didn't recognize my firewall or AV pgms... saying the system was unprotected, although both av & firewall were up & running.

The command prompt (cmd.exe), also wouldn't recognize anything typed. But... Google is my friend. One of these DK pgms (probably Java, but I dunno), blew-up the systems environment variable (Path), and so I had to recreate. Done and all is well. AC looks looks to be exactly what I wanted... and then some. Thanks again!
Sorry...doesn't know how it is working on WinXP (Only tried Win7 64x). All I can say: everything I do between my Leo and Pc, I use Android Commander. For me, there's no better way to copy, merge, paste...or anything else working 1:1 with my device.
BTW: There is an pluggin for TotalCommander PC...but doesn't worked for me yet...maybe on 32X systems.:confused:

RobE.

Aug 21, 2007
Sorry...doesn't know how it is working on WinXP (Only tried Win7 64x). All I can say: everything I do between my Leo and Pc, I use Android Commander. For me, there's no better way to copy, merge, paste...or anything else working 1:1 with my device.
BTW: There is an pluggin for TotalCommander PC...but doesn't worked for me yet...maybe on 32X systems.:confused:

Just to reiterate... It's working very well in WinXP. I'm genuinely pleased with how it all panned out and I was just thanking you again for the recommendation. :)

The Java jdk, or was it the android sdk (still not sure which) overwrote and changed my systems environment variable (AKA system path) and so the command prompt and some security pgms appeared to not be working... Once I restored the path - everything worked again. AC is must have for what it does!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That's not a question of SD or NAND. All you need to know is this: http://androidcommander.com/ ;)

Edit: If you are on 64bit-system...install 32bit java...otherwise it will not work!