HTC Touch Pro Issues (updated 23.11)

Search This thread

DSF

Apr 16, 2007
mowned.com
Hello,

I am a HTC Tornado user and I had in plan to buy TP.. but because of the TP's bugs I'll wait a while.. I really don't understand why HTC don't do more tests before release it?! Many of their issues are corrected by xda-dev community.

I want to gather all the issues in one topic, one post. This post will be edited as new issues/bugs are found. This will be useful for potential buyers - they should know that TP is not perfect. Ok, I will bypass the lack of the softkeys and the camera dedicated button. (you may ask, what's the sense to have softkeys if you can touch the buttons with your finger/stylus... but I will ask you back: what you will do if the application is in fullscreen mode? ;) )

I know there's a topic for Raphel issues but It's hard to follow all the pages.. so here it's an summary. As I said, I want to update the list as more known issues are found. You can contribute with issues so I can update the post (post the way I posted so it will be easy to me to copy /paste..).

We should send this list to htc, maybe they will try to fix these bugs (many of them are software related)

The post will be slitted into two parts. Active problems and solved one.

This is not a complete list

I. CONSTRUCTION ISSUES
  1. D-PAD design: Unresponsive buttons: every now and then the "right" button of the D-Pad does nothing, then suddenly it will start working again, same with the "Back" button though much more infrequent/noticable than the D-Pad issue I've experienced. HINT! -> HERE, or video here
  2. Touch Pro wobbly keyboard issue

II. GENERAL MAJOR ISSUES
  1. Poor GPS (chipset or software implementation?): ~50m+ lag, overheating gps, loose signal
  2. Landscape redraw issue. Videos and more info HERE
  3. poor directdraw, framebuffer/video performance. :mad: Just to make an idea: an old device from 2005 with omap 850 200mhz CPU performs better in this area than the touch pro @ qualcomm 528mhz. what a shame. The test were done in this topic (in romanian, sorry). CorePlayer was used for benchmark. I will summarize.
    - HTC Tornado overclocked (262Mhz) max performance: 174.22%
    - Touch Pro max performance: 172,67%
    Both in Raw framebuffer mode. When used QTV it gains only 162,64%. How come?
    It's pitty, 262Mhz from OMAP performs better than 528!!!Mhz from Qualcomm?!
    The video used for tests is this one. (320x240 @ 25FPS)
  4. Bugs with key mappings (on qwerty keyboard). This means you cannot use the qwerty for playing your favorite emulated & ported games (eg: DOS emulator, Picodrive, SNES, Doom 1, etc etc). WORK-AROUND: here
  5. There's a damn 'break' (for <=1/2sec) at a (random) interval while listeing to music! This issue is also present in Diamond. More info HERE
  6. low speaker/buzzer volume (lower than previous htc phones) WORK-AROUND: here

III. GENERAL MINOR ISSUES
  1. Touch Flo 3D has slowdowns times
  2. FM radio reception is not the best
  3. Camera bug. More details here. Quote: "Camera application is buggy! Slow zoom, touch and focus works only after a dumb picture, after some focuses the auto focus stops to work. I tested it with 3 phones." (nickba)
  4. TouchFlo3D calendar issue

IV. ISOLATED ISSUES (eg: doesn't happen to all, may be software or hardware related, not sure)
  1. Random shutdowns during night or unresponsive device after overnight / long charge
  2. Microphone has delay when answering calls (this seems to be network dependent - orange users seems to have this problem)
  3. Some users claims that TP has bad reception
  4. Broken Screen Issue
  5. Device is hanging with horizontal grey stripes over the screen

V. HARDWARE ISSUES (eg: device/mainboard must be replaced)
  1. Sometimes, when answering a call the phone "mute" itself. So, you wouldn't hear the caller voice. You have to soft reset the device.

Tips
  1. It takes a while to find satellites position (take a fix). One solution is to use the Quick GPS app, but you need an active data connection.
  2. Task Manager / TF3D terminates every running application. (Tip by vicott):
    -- Use Advanced Configuration Tool
    -- change "File system cache" la 8MB.
    -- change "file system filter cache" la 131072.
    -- change "Glyph cache" la 32KB.
    -- Try to change HKCU > Software > HTC > Task Manager > EnableAutoKill = 0

You may check also "Raphael Tweaks" topic.
Other tweaking tools: Advanced Config Tool, Diamond Config.

Data was collected from different forums / threads. Big thanks to all the contributors.

Finally, too bad that dreams aren't true. TP does not deserve it's price. Don't get me wrong.. it has some really nice features but those bugs takes the device donw!
I really miss the old HTC..

-----
ISOLATED/DO NOT COUNT:
[*]LED under the "send" key does not work anymore

Last edited:

Theutus

Jul 29, 2008
No offense, but if your going to jump the gun and be an early adopter with a brand new model in the tech realm, you need to expect some growing pains.

Also, most of those problems seem to be independent, and not all showing up on the same device, or many in general for that matter.

I applaud your effort in bringing all these issues to light with HTC, but you should take a more professional approach, because if you throw in a bunch of whining about price etc, your only going to hurt your cause.

Just my .02 cents. :cool:

NutsyUK

Aug 15, 2008
I must agree the handset is over priced. Equal pda only devices are less than a third the price.

And with all the bugs its actually a real shame tbh.

I've already chose not to pay for the full cost of the phone ill get a contract with o2 when it comes out there [supposedly next month.]

And ill just deal with the bugs as they come....

Oh if this helps anyone The over night charge and then unresponsive bug. I dont think this is down to this phone alone. I had the exact same problem with my dell pda under winmob 6 [football]. Im guessing its a windows related bug.

Flippy_TK

Aug 26, 2008
Concerning the active point number 6 (Sometimes, when answering a call the phone "mute" itself), it is true it is quite annoying, but in the whole forum we are just 4 persons to have this problem, which is an acceptable margin.
Let's see how HTC deals with it. If they manage to repair it for good or change the device I'll be very happy and HTC will have proven they are more responsible than apple (with the Iphone 3G that has a lot of problems of reception under the 3G network)...

DSF

Apr 16, 2007
mowned.com
but you should take a more professional approach,
Theutus you are right. I am just upset because the problems of the latest devices from htc (pre-htc diamond&pro: video lag, etc).
You know the sensation... you want something so much and in final you found out that is not as you expected.. Anyway, post re-edited.

Thanks

@NutsyUK i leave my WM phone many times on charging over night and no problem. (though it's Standard version of WM)

@Flippy_TK that may be a random thing. Other persons maybe just happens not to occur that bug.. as it is random (again). Or your TC may be from a faulty series?

Last edited:

Theutus

Jul 29, 2008
Theutus you are right. I am just upset because the problems of the latest devices from htc (pre-htc diamond&pro: video lag, etc).
You know the sensation... you want something so much and in final you found out that is not as you expected.. Anyway, post re-edited.

Thanks

@NutsyUK i leave my WM phone many times on charging over night and no problem. (though it's Standard version of WM)

@Flippy_TK that may be a random thing. Other persons maybe just happens not to occur that bug.. as it is random (again). Or your TC may be from a faulty series?

I understand your frustration 100%, and I hope my post didn't come off as insulting in any way. :) I only meant that if your going to present a case to HTC for these issues, it should be in more of a "professional" layout. ;)

If you need to blow off some steam on the forums, then by all means let her rip. :D I do think a majority of these issues will be resolved once the phone is released wordlwide, and more people can get their hands on them. After all, thats what xda does best. :cool:

DSF

Apr 16, 2007
mowned.com
@Theutus that's ok. The problem is WHY the community has to resolve their problems and not HTC?! Why we don't have a fully functional device right from the box?!

@FOSA thanks. I wait at least one more confirmation to be sure it's touch pro related and not one device related (due some personal actions or 3rd-party software).

I've visited the diamond section from this forum. I've seen many topics with issues.
WE MUST TAKE ACTION if htc does not care... What to do? Don't know.. spread the "bad news" world worldwide, start a petition listing all the problems.. etc.

It's really a shame, a time has passed since they've released Diamond and Touch Pro and htc does not care about the issues (history repeat, see http://www.htcclassaction.org ). They are busy releasing new devices (and I bet that those will be buggy too :( )

anonimo

Nov 7, 2006
The Beautiful South
@Theutus that's ok. The problem is WHY the community has to resolve their problems and not HTC?! Why we don't have a fully functional device right from the box?!

I must be honest. This is my third HTC phone (after an S200 and a P3600) and it's the first time I can run a plain HTC stock ROM with almost no problems. I have had the phone for four weeks now and I am happy with it.
I agree that HTC can be very frustrating with their attitude of basically never fixing problems but in my opinion the out-of-the-box quality of the TouchPro is better than with their previous phones.

helraiser

Nov 10, 2006
I'm with you. I've been happy with the out of the box rom and so far don't have any desire to change - well till we figure out if we can/can't get 3G on it.

aussieak

Aug 30, 2008
Melbourne
So far week 2 out of the box is fine.

Minor issues have been fixed include
Screen lock when phone rings. This is a bad design by HTC

I seem to have an issue with MMS sending but I think thats my provider not sending the config codes correctly. The settings are there but if I try to send a message I get cant dial error. Lucky I don't send MMS that often. I am going to wait for my provider to support the phone before I make a big deal out of it

desperation52

Mar 17, 2007
One thing I probably expect is every ppc phone arrive with a bunch of problems, but most normal users do not encounter them at all.

A friend of mine had used the touch pro for the last two weeks, with the basic htc rom, no customisations at all, no tweaks and she's perfectly happy with it. She goes oh and ah at every little thing. She uses it to check her email, surf websites, log onto messenger and that's all. Before that, she was using a diamond and she felt it was a great phone.

People like us will feel the "lag" when we use touch flo. Normal users like her will not even care about it. They just wait for a while. If it does not work, reset the phone. As long as it can call, sms and do what they want reasonably, it does not really bother them.

For ppc geeks like us, we will just find fault and improved it. Remember threaded sms, it was wanted so badly last time, and now that it is in, people wants to go back to the normal sms.

graham.hughes

Jul 23, 2008
Remember threaded sms, it was wanted so badly last time, and now that it is in, people wants to go back to the normal sms.
True... one man's enhancement is another man's bug.

I've been using the TP for a month now. I'd say the hardware is great (except the front keypad, which is a little tacky). WM6.1 is also great (as mobile phone operating systems go). The HTC add-on software is buggy, but most of it is for funking-up the UI, and I can live without it. I'm sure it will get fixed. I have TF3D switched off, and it's pretty stable now.

I can easily "I wish it had X, like my Prophet", but then I still have the Prophet and I'm not going back to it. Or "I wish it did X, like my Nokia", but then my Nokia reboots consistently in the MP3 player and, if I switch time-zones to Central Europe and back, some birthdays in the calendar end up on the wrong day!

Any product like the TP is rushed out, as a commercial necessity. Think of how much money Sony Ericsson have lost from late delivery of the X1, as would-be X1 buyers (like me) have bought TPs instead. And I suspect that anyone expecting distinctly better quality from SE will be disappointed.

The TP isn't perfect, and it is not (yet) as good as it should be. But it is pretty good, even compared to devices from other manufacturers (Nokia, Sony Ericsson, etc.).

If you're waiting for a more solid device, I suggest you don't wait for another rushed device; wait for a better TP. Or, get a TP now, disable TF3D, and add some freeware to add the functionality you want - that's the beauty of WM. You'll probably still have a better device than you have now.

Cheers,
Graham.

DSF

Apr 16, 2007
mowned.com
If you're waiting for a more solid device, I suggest you don't wait for another rushed device; wait for a better TP. Or, get a TP now, disable TF3D, and add some freeware to add the functionality you want - that's the beauty of WM. You'll probably still have a better device than you have now.

It's not just the touchflo 3d... Really! Read the first post and take a deep look on the Raphael forum. You'll find many topics with TP issues and lots of frustrates.
GPS issues (lag, signal loss, overheat), music issues (tss™ htc effect), wrong keymap, low volume, etc etc!
I really want htc to take action and resolve the issues.

@illi thanks

graham.hughes

Jul 23, 2008
I've got the thing, I know the issues. I also know how big a deal they are (which is bigger to some people than others), and how many of the issues can be worked around. I listen to MP3s, I use the GPS, I send and read email, and once in a while I even make a phone call! And I do all these things without trouble.

No argument from me... the bugs need fixing. But this device, I promise you, is not unusually buggy. It does have an unusually large number of features, and that will mean more bugs in total.

People are writing their hates on this forum; no one writes about what they like, love, or about niggles they can live with. If prospective buyers are reading this, I think it might be useful to have some balance.

flashmp3

Dec 31, 2006
My problems:
- of Right D pad not working sometime :(
- Time to get a fix 10x time to get a fix with my diamond
- No ringtone or vibrate when receive a private call

I Want This Feature Back

You could delete all mail (read/unread) with a single key in the Tornado. Whereas there is none in the TP; YOU HAVE TO DELETE ONE BY ONE... Imagine having 100s of emails that you want to delete. HOW MANY KEY STROKES to accomplish that?? I now have 100s of read emails that I want to delete. IMAGINE!!!