No 5.1-channel surround audio

Search This thread

AmigaWolf

Jan 31, 2012
NO 5.1-channel surround audio in TV Shows and Movies.

I just bought a Mad Catz M.O.J.O. and now i see that i have
NO 5.1 audio, when you put on your website:

Hear thatcatchy background music or those killer sound effects loud
and clear, with support for 5.1-channel surround audio.

http://madcatz.com/mojo/en-us/

http://madcatz.com/pressroom/m-o-j-o-android-micro-console/

So you are lying?

Because i also do not see Enable Passthrough in Settings/Audio.

I hope you can help in some way, i tried XBMC 13.0 ALPHA11,
and used MX Player with the 5.1 audio codec and Archos
Video with Codects, and i only hear and see Stereo sound or
Multichannel sound on my Receiver and not 5.1 audio, tried AC3
5.1 audio and DTS 5.1 audio.

I also have a MeLE M9 and there we have with XBMC Dolby Digital, Dolby TrueHD and DTS, DTS-HD Master,
and with TvdVideo Player Dolby Digital and DTS, and that Android TV BOX cost only $110.64 and with the
Mele F10-Pro Air Mouse it cost only $134.55.

I bought the Mad Catz M.O.J.O. as a replacement for my MeLE M9, but know i can do less with the Mad Catz M.O.J.O.
then with the MeLE M9.

UPDATE: With MX Player and DTS Codec we have Dolby Digital and DTS (not Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master) on our Mad Catz M.O.J.O.

So it is getting better and better, but still not perfect.

MX Player

DTX Codec

Last edited:

Mad Catz Rich

Dec 5, 2013
We don't support DTS or Dolby surround natively (although Dolby Digital should pass through automatically if received) but we do support straight multichannel 5.1 sound which is likely what you're seeing when you see "Multichannel" on your receiver.

AmigaWolf

Jan 31, 2012
We don't support DTS or Dolby surround natively (although Dolby Digital should pass through automatically if received) but
we do support straight multichannel 5.1 sound which is likely what you're seeing when you see "Multichannel" on your receiver.

Then why put on your website that it supports 5.1-channel surround audio, because that was the main reason i bought this device, and that means Dolby
digital and DTS, you cannot get multichannel 5.1 sound without does audio codecs, just pay them for the sounds just like MeLE has don, and there device cost
only $110.

So if you get no 5.1 multichannel then i sent it back to the store, because to pay that much money and not get 5.1 sound support is absurd, and very cheap of
you guys, then just say on your website ONLY Stereo and never 5.1 sound.

Even the Playstation 3 has Dolby digital and DTS, and that one cost the same as this device.

Last edited:

Mad Catz Rich

Dec 5, 2013
DTS and Dolby aren't the only 5.1 audio codec options! It's often a misconception that if you're not getting DTS or Dolby then you're not getting the best - look at all the discussion about which output option to use on PS4 at the moment and you'll see many people recommending Linear PCM over Dolby or DTS because it's uncompressed. Do that and your amp will only show "multichannel", but it's still 5.1 or 7.1 (depending on the source material).

You ARE getting 5.1 sound if it says Multichannel on your amp. If you're unsure, many amps have the icons for each speaker channel which only illuminate when that channel is getting output - if you have them, see if they're getting lit.

AmigaWolf

Jan 31, 2012
DTS and Dolby aren't the only 5.1 audio codec options! It's often a misconception that if you're not getting DTS or Dolby then you're not getting the best - look at all the discussion about which output option to use on PS4 at the moment and you'll see many people recommending Linear PCM over Dolby or DTS because it's uncompressed. Do that and your amp will only show "multichannel", but it's still 5.1 or 7.1 (depending on the source material).

You ARE getting 5.1 sound if it says Multichannel on your amp. If you're unsure, many amps have the icons for each speaker channel which only illuminate when that channel is getting output - if you have them, see if they're getting lit.

I see MULTICH and PCM and in movies i only get 2.0 audio.

I have used allot of sound test files and i never hear my back and center speaker and subwoofer in movies.

But i hear in the Google Play Music App 5.0, but not in movie players, so how to get 5.1 sound in movie players?

I used does 7.1 and 5.1 24bit/48kHz multichannel wav files:

http://www.jensign.com/bdp95/7dot1voiced/

But TV shows and Movies don't have Linear PCM codec, and the Playstation 3 and 4 can do the decoding true Linear PCM, but what i can see is that the Mad
Catz M.O.J.O. cannot do the decoding, so you're answer is a little bit still don't you think, but what i can read is that you cannot hear the difference
between Linear PCM and DTS(-HD Master).

But why can't you just buy a license for Dolby Digital and DTS, just like MeLE and VidON has don?

Last edited:

AmigaWolf

Jan 31, 2012
Could you try one of the files here?:

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/technology/home-theater/dolby-digital-plus-download.html

The basic surround test is a good one.

Edit: I just tried the 5.1 test file from that link of yours and it works fine - I get audio response in all channels.

That may be but i do not have it in movies, and sorry to say but people do not buy it so that they can listen to some (and i mean almost non) 5.1 music,
they buy also you device to look at movies with 5.1 sound, not only to play games on it.

Same for Xbox and Playstation, allot of people also use it to look at movies with it.

And it is ****y to put loud and clear with full support for 5.1-channel surround audio, on your website, because that is bad advertisement.

Last edited:

AmigaWolf

Jan 31, 2012
So i called the store and tomorrow they are gone take it of my hands, and get my money back.

Now i just gone use my MeLE more also for gaming, gone use my Logitech cordless rumblepad 2, and Mele F10-Pro Air Mouse.

I hope you all good luck, but if you are someone that likes to look at movies allot then stay away from this product.

Mad Catz Rich

Dec 5, 2013
Well, that's your prerogative but I have to point out for anyone reading this thread that I've proven to you that Dolby Digital works and 5.1 PCM files are also fine.

AmigaWolf

Jan 31, 2012
Well, that's your prerogative but I have to point out for anyone reading this thread that I've proven to you that Dolby Digital works and 5.1 PCM files are also fine.

HAHA yes of course, but still it's bad advertisement, If you really want to be honest you put on your website that it cannot play movies and TV Shows in 5.1-channel surround audio, then you are honest.

Mad Catz Rich

Dec 5, 2013
Did you try the test file I linked you to on Dolby's site? I assume you did and found that you got 5.1 sound from it. I certainly did - just like I did from the PCM test file that you linked. If you did then that shows you that Dolby Digital sound is working on MOJO - the next step is for you to confirm the exact audio that's encoded on the files that you're using. If they're DTS then you will get stereo, but if they're correctly encoded in either 5.1 Dolby Digital (remember that there is also such a thing as Dolby Digital 2.0!) or PCM then you'll get 5.1 sound.

For DTS encoded files where you're only getting stereo I'll bet your amp features an option to enable Dolby Pro Logic IIx on the stereo signal which, in my experience, creates a surprisingly effective surround effect.

AmigaWolf

Jan 31, 2012
Did you try the test file I linked you to on Dolby's site? I assume you did and found that you got 5.1 sound from it. I certainly did - just like I did from the PCM test file that you linked. If you did then that shows you that Dolby Digital sound is working on MOJO - the next step is for you to confirm the exact audio that's encoded on the files that you're using. If they're DTS then you will get stereo, but if they're correctly encoded in either 5.1 Dolby Digital (remember that there is also such a thing as Dolby Digital 2.0!) or PCM then you'll get 5.1 sound.

For DTS encoded files where you're only getting stereo I'll bet your amp features an option to enable Dolby Pro Logic IIx on the stereo signal which, in my experience, creates a surprisingly effective surround effect.

Strange because the MKV movie(s) i played that had AC3 5.1 (is Dolby digital) played in Stereo, and yes i have Dolby Pro Logic IIx, but DTS or DTS-HD Master sounds MUCH better then Dolby Pro Logic IIx.

But it doesn't matter, i do not have the MadCatz M.O.J.O. anymore, it went back to the store.

But why do you sell a Android TV Box that has no video players installed on it, with Codec packs so you can hear sound if you play Movies with Dolby
Digital, Dolby TrueHD and DTS, DTS-HD Master, that is very strange.

All and i mean all the Android TV Boxes out of china have them already installed, so that it works good on there Hardware.

Like the very popular MINIX NEO X5 and MINIX NEO X7, and MeLE M9 and MeLE A1000G.

And yes gaming on then is the same as on the MadCatz M.O.J.O., you buy a PS3 GPS3CT01 (Gamepad) for $14.00 at tinydeal, and can play all the
games that has Gamepad support, and more with a air mouse, that comes with the Android TV Boxes.

Mad Catz Rich

Dec 5, 2013
MOJO is a completely open system onto which you can install any media player that you like. We do make recommendations (such as linking to the apk for MXPlayer on our getting started site, linked on the homescreen of MOJO) but ultimately it's your box to do with as you wish.

Regarding gaming being the same, well that's already not true with a lot of the latest games coming out and the gap is only going to get wider with some of the apps we know are coming this year.

Mad Catz Rich

Dec 5, 2013
Update: we've been talking to the guys at XBMC and this looks like an issue with the pass-through function in XBMC on Android. We'll update once we have a solution - in the meantime the pass-through function works fine in MXPlayer.

Reactions: gwaldo

AmigaWolf

Jan 31, 2012
Update: we've been talking to the guys at XBMC and this looks like an issue with the pass-through function in XBMC on Android. We'll update once we have a solution - in the meantime the pass-through function works fine in MXPlayer.

Ok then, but can you please buy a DTS pass so that we can hear all the audio codecs, just like MeLE and VidOn has don?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.