[CHARGER INFO]"Looking for chargers!? Cant get em working?" Max Charge Rate

Search This thread

qw3r7yju4n

Jun 15, 2010
So, I don't know if this is just my device or maybe already known. I don't see it here(or google) so I am going to post this so others can find this info faster than the 2hrs it took me.

Some Li-Ion batteries have a low max charge rate. Meaning you cant "over-current"(mA "Milli-Amps" or A "Amps") them too much(saves life). Well my Razr just showed me this. This can allow you to charge the battery faster if you have one that is tolerant of the "over-current".

Apparently maximum for the Droid RAZR is somewhere between 850mA and 1000mA

Tried using an HTC @ 1A and no joy.. wont charge.. actually says charging.. but the battery seems to have flipped the switch to not charge; and just continues to discharge normally; even the hidden status(dial *#*#4636#*#*) says charging but obviously not! Tried different HTC models and different cables. I am now only using my Moto supplied cable.

Even after it was dead. It would show the charging screen @ 0% and the light would be red. Stating that you cant turn it on cause there is not enough juice to finish boot. It would never go Green no matter how long I waited(10-15 minutes) usually only takes 5 minutes.

Found my OG Droid charger; remembering that it was lower than 1A. It actually is 5v 850mA. Charging away!

Remember the stock charger is rate @ 5v 750mA - this means you can probably use chargers from 700ish to maybe 900ish mA. I cannot confirm these estimates. Anyone else seen any other rates work?

Hope this helps someone down the road. I know it would have helped me!

MODS - Please, if this is wrong info please DO NOT HESITATE to notify me/remove/edit my post. I just want the right info somewhere, cause it was not well documented anywhere i searched via google.

Also - Thinking more on the subject - this could be the "Authorized Charger" bull that Moto likes to put on its devices i.e. The RAZR flip-phone was notoriuosly bad about this. Even my old nextel "beep beep" had this problem with OEM chargers. Had to spend $15+ on the official one. Again - if this info is wrong in ANY way please fix it or remove it.

Last edited:
Reactions: cathain

asheg

May 10, 2011
use official 850mA charger and be happy. Motorola also confirmed using 1A chargers without any problems but any ways original ones are recommended.

Last edited:

cathain

Apr 29, 2010
Brilliant, my problem now makes sense!

Couple of questions: What does this mean to charging via USB instead of mains? Is it the plug or the cable that is rated to a certain ampage?

cathain

Apr 29, 2010
One more question. I found another usb plug rated to 300mA. I presume using this will just mean the phone charges slower? It won't have any negative effect on the battery?

Sent from my XT910 using XDA App

[__--MUD--__]

Nov 26, 2010
Just adding my experience... Have been using an iphone wall charger w/ the usb jack on it and the supplied motorola cable. Its listed as 1000Mah. Battery Monitor Widget shows it charging around 945Mah. Doesn't get hot, charges like a bat out of hell. Down side is phone is about 60% unresponsive during the charge.

RAZRblade

Jan 8, 2012
Found a little info on this. Apparently different cables, when plugged in, short different contacts to let the device know what it's plugged in to. Resistors change the current. Audio out can tell if it's plugged into a dock versus USB versus wall charger. The Verizon replacement didn't work for me, but an hard incredible one did. They both charged but only the htc recognized computer connections

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

MBL85

Feb 9, 2012
Virginia Beach
My stock Razr wall charger is 750mA. I use a 1000mA car charger and it works fine - doesn't get hot and charges faster.
But sometimes you do have to be careful. I had a friend who's noob mother fried her Bionic with a charger that was too many mA for it to handle.

kreez

Oct 4, 2008
Jakarta
strange... my stock charger's rated 850mA.. maybe because i use international GSM version of RAZR.. but it charge just fine..
but even i tried charge it with blackberry's 700 mA charger or my ipod touch 1000mA charger it both charge just fine.. and it feels like the 1000mA charge slightly faster..
too bad i broke my old nokia n900 1200 mA charger.. :D

kholk

Retired Recognized Developer
May 20, 2007
Torino
I'm using an HTC 1A charger: the RAZR doesn't become hot while charging and it's charging faster.
The limit is 1A anyway.

Shadowdancer123

Mar 11, 2010
Bottnaryd
Ever since my first motorola I've noticed that the stock charger is 5.1 volts.
Charging with other brands always seem to give worse battery life.

My old Rizr only lasted a day when charged from the USB of my computer, but 6-7 days with the original part.

Some of that is apparent with my car charger too, it says it's taking charge, but sometimes it will run backwards with GPS running..

Soulwar

Apr 22, 2010
I experience the charger issue last night.
I had low battery when I went to sleep, put the cable in and it said charging.
Came late to work because the phone drained the battery instead of charging. I used a 5V 1.2A charger and its been working great until last night. And I noticed my original charger is 5.1V 850mA for the Razr.

You learn something new every day!

/J

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, I don't know if this is just my device or maybe already known. I don't see it here(or google) so I am going to post this so others can find this info faster than the 2hrs it took me.

Some Li-Ion batteries have a low max charge rate. Meaning you cant "over-current"(mA "Milli-Amps" or A "Amps") them too much(saves life). Well my Razr just showed me this. This can allow you to charge the battery faster if you have one that is tolerant of the "over-current".

Apparently maximum for the Droid RAZR is somewhere between 850mA and 1000mA

Tried using an HTC @ 1A and no joy.. wont charge.. actually says charging.. but the battery seems to have flipped the switch to not charge; and just continues to discharge normally; even the hidden status(dial *#*#4636#*#*) says charging but obviously not! Tried different HTC models and different cables. I am now only using my Moto supplied cable.

Even after it was dead. It would show the charging screen @ 0% and the light would be red. Stating that you cant turn it on cause there is not enough juice to finish boot. It would never go Green no matter how long I waited(10-15 minutes) usually only takes 5 minutes.

Found my OG Droid charger; remembering that it was lower than 1A. It actually is 5v 850mA. Charging away!

Remember the stock charger is rate @ 5v 750mA - this means you can probably use chargers from 700ish to maybe 900ish mA. I cannot confirm these estimates. Anyone else seen any other rates work?

Hope this helps someone down the road. I know it would have helped me!

MODS - Please, if this is wrong info please DO NOT HESITATE to notify me/remove/edit my post. I just want the right info somewhere, cause it was not well documented anywhere i searched via google.

Also - Thinking more on the subject - this could be the "Authorized Charger" bull that Moto likes to put on its devices i.e. The RAZR flip-phone was notoriuosly bad about this. Even my old nextel "beep beep" had this problem with OEM chargers. Had to spend $15+ on the official one. Again - if this info is wrong in ANY way please fix it or remove it.