[Q] MHL 1080p output

Search This thread

nOrbX187

Jul 10, 2005
Sunnyvale
Another MHL question from me.

Does the XZU support 1080p output over MHL? I have a feeling before the KitKat update that it did. With KitKat update, when I plug in the MHL to my monitor, the monitor reports a 720p signal. There was another post where someone stated you can change the resolution settings but I don't seem to have that.

nOrbX187

Jul 10, 2005
Sunnyvale
Thanks for the info. I tried two MHL adapters on two different monitors and both report 720p though I know these monitors will support 1080p through HDMI as I get that resolution when plugging in a monitor. Maybe something weird with the HDCP handshake? I'll try on my HDTV when I get home. Hopefully I don't have to go questing for a different MHL adapter (had to go through three to find one that would charge my phone while using HDMI out).

I have one that it charges my phone directly from the TV but the TV has one hdmi with mhl built in. If you use one that you needs 5v from charger or USB you should try the I9100(S3) mhl dongle works perfectly with our zu

Sent from my C6833 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 03:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 AM ----------

My bad the I9100 is S2 the S3 mhl does not work it's a different dongle

nOrbX187

Jul 10, 2005
Sunnyvale
Hi harisled, I haven't tried it on my HT setup yet but I think I know why it is not working (at least for me) on my computer monitors. I had forgotten that the MHL 1.0 spec only allows 1080p @ 30Hz until mr.joshuanice had mentioned it. The two monitors I tried it on initially are computer monitors so they probably don't support 1080p @ 30Hz. I'm guessing the HDCP handshake (or whatever it is called) reduced the resolution to 720p @ 60Hz which is supported by my monitor. However, this causes the monitor to upscale causing the image to be blurry (like you have experienced).

I will test it on my HT this weekend which should work (I remembered testing this out a while ago). The only thing that sucks is playing games @ 1080p. As some have experienced, playing PS Mobile games at 1080p resolution makes the game really sluggish (@ 720p is great). I remembered someone had show a screenshot of a menu which allowed you to change the resolution but it may have been a different Sony phone or a different ROM.

fnf

Sep 18, 2007
I use mine with mhl latest kk build and it's 1080p I don't know where you can change the resolution. The only thing that bothers me is that the mhl 1 standard that the zu uses only supports 30hz

Yes, same thing happens to me as well.
I bought this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/321336887491 and the output is 720p 60hz.
The image is blurry and it is very annoying :(

If I remember correctly same thing has happened both in 4.3 and in 4.4 (rooted locked bootloader)

Hi harisled, I haven't tried it on my HT setup yet but I think I know why it is not working (at least for me) on my computer monitors. I had forgotten that the MHL 1.0 spec only allows 1080p @ 30Hz until mr.joshuanice had mentioned it. The two monitors I tried it on initially are computer monitors so they probably don't support 1080p @ 30Hz. I'm guessing the HDCP handshake (or whatever it is called) reduced the resolution to 720p @ 60Hz which is supported by my monitor. However, this causes the monitor to upscale causing the image to be blurry (like you have experienced).

I will test it on my HT this weekend which should work (I remembered testing this out a while ago). The only thing that sucks is playing games @ 1080p. As some have experienced, playing PS Mobile games at 1080p resolution makes the game really sluggish (@ 720p is great). I remembered someone had show a screenshot of a menu which allowed you to change the resolution but it may have been a different Sony phone or a different ROM.

You can enforce the output format by dialing *#*#7378423#*#* then navigate to Service tests -> TV-Out Test -> Video format. Note that "Video format" will only be modifiable when the MHL cable is plugged in.

harisled

Jun 14, 2010
Reading, UK
You can enforce the output format by dialing *#*#7378423#*#* then navigate to Service tests -> TV-Out Test -> Video format. Note that "Video format" will only be modifiable when the MHL cable is plugged in.

I tried that on my PC monitor but, as expected, nothing changed since the monitor does not support 1080p 30hz :eek:

Sep 18, 2014

when i connect my zu to tv phone appear mhl connected but tv is black screen when open service menu
mhl is on
video fourmat N/A
HPD 1
TMDS off

what shall i do ???
please!!!!

Beniroquai

Feb 5, 2012
I know this is old, but is there an option to save the MHL-Setting in the Service menu permanently? After each reboot, the screen resolution is scaled to the default settings again.

Everybody who has problems with screen resolution can simply set the resolution and fps in the service menu under "second screen" .. For that type *#*#7378423#*#* in the phone dialer

nurps

Dec 8, 2008
For me its not even switching to 1080p when I select it in the service menu. It says reconnect but then again its set to 720p. Xperia Z and Z2 only outputing 720p. Are they even capable of 1080p MHL?

Is it possible the MHL cable is just crap?

Last edited:

Klaos3000

Sep 17, 2015
For me its not even switching to 1080p when I select it in the service menu. It says reconnect but then again its set to 720p. Xperia Z and Z2 only outputing 720p. Are they even capable of 1080p MHL?

Is it possible the MHL cable is just crap?
The Z Ultra has MHL 1.0 or most likely 2.0 since 2.0 requires 900mA and therefore an external power source is needed (which my cable has) while 1.0 only requires 500mA, which is provided through a regular USB/HDMI. Both 1.0 and 2.0 support uncompressed 1080p and Dolby 7.1. MHL 3.0 was released just a month before the Ultra hit the market, so it doesn't have 3.0, which supports 4K and some other stuff.

The Z2 and beyond have MHL 3.0, and yes, it could be your cable. Be sure that it's 3.0 for the Z2 and 1.0/2.0 for the Z.

zzzronan

Jun 25, 2010
Hong Kong
I tried 2 MHL1.0 adapters before and the output was 720p only for my Sony Tablet Z4...
Luckily I found the MHL3.0 adapter last night and the the output become 1080P 60Hz for my projector now. Try to find the MHL 3.0 from Taobao or eBay.