[A] knox safe root on MJ4!!(updated10/30)

Search This thread

mjcollum

Mar 13, 2011
TEXAS
I'm out and about tonight I think I know where I went wrong. But I won't get to it till later if at all tonight. Freeza should also have a new odexed mod up that ads wifi and screen off animation

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

girron

May 18, 2012
Man, I understand! Mucking about the innards of your phone requires patience, from a bunch of people who want desperately for their tinkering to work....NOW!:laugh: Waiting has saved me $100's in hardware/insurance claims.....Probably a lot more.....

This is a true story. Thank you to this forum as if it weren't for everyone here, I would be lost in the transition from crapple. The only thing that sucks is the capthca recognition, it literally is the worst lol but everything else is epic

Reactions: dongarritas

aFoodStampBaby

Jun 30, 2011
Massachusetts
I haven't rooted my phone yet and I currently have the latest ota mj4. Can i still root my phone with tripping knox with this method?

Sent from my SM-N900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

mjcollum

Mar 13, 2011
TEXAS
I haven't rooted my phone yet and I currently have the latest ota mj4. Can i still root my phone with tripping knox with this method?

Yes. Look at the bottom of the post. Use kingoroot. Just beware the bootloader warning applies. Do not attempt a downgrade.

aFoodStampBaby

Jun 30, 2011
Massachusetts
Thanks. Rooted now and knox is fine. But I get this message when I grant an app root access. Any reason why? Is there any way to get rid of it? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 1383530010079.jpg
    1383530010079.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 180

mjcollum

Mar 13, 2011
TEXAS
Thanks. Rooted now and knox is fine. But I get this message when I grant an app root access. Any reason why? Is there any way to get rid of it? Thanks in advance.

Wanam xposed.
Security settings ?
Advanced?
Disable knox notifications.

shadricksimms

Oct 16, 2011
I'm wanting to root my sprint note 3 but don't want to void warranty. Will kingo do a safe root without tripping nox

mvansomeren

Jul 1, 2011
Sherman Oaks, CA
Last edited:
Reactions: aFoodStampBaby

wolverinesfan35

Jun 20, 2012
mishawaka
if you are with sprint, if you read the Sprint TOS that you signed when you got the phone it says that rooting will not void your warranty they just ask that u put it back to stock when upgrading or having service done to it. Who has ever went to upgrade their phone and the rep put it in to download mode to check something like that? And when I had my s2 rooted and needed service on the ear piece I just left cm 10 and all my stuff just the way it was and they never said anything to me about it.

mvansomeren

Jul 1, 2011
Sherman Oaks, CA
ok guys I want to root but im a samsung noob. Is there a video for this method?

If you're on firmware MJ4, then Kingoapp is really your only option. Root De La Vega (RDLV) won't work if you're on that firmware.

Kingoapp doesn't need a video. It's a one button solution. Install the app on your PC, plug in your phone... once the app recognized the phone, press the Root button. Done.

JimSmith94

Jul 21, 2007
Midlothian, TX
Smart Watches
Android Wear
If you're on firmware MJ4, then Kingoapp is really your only option. Root De La Vega (RDLV) won't work if you're on that firmware.

Kingoapp doesn't need a video. It's a one button solution. Install the app on your PC, plug in your phone... once the app recognized the phone, press the Root button. Done.

I have rooted many phones and am thinking about trying Kingoapp. One thing I haven't seen answered anywhere, does this method wipe the phone or will it keep my installed apps and settings?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    (UPDATE) 10/30/13--WORKING MJ4
    SUCCESS ROOT ON MJ4 KNOX 0x0!

IF YOUR ALREADY ON MJ4 and want to keep knox 0x0 read bootloader warning and look at end of this post. (optionally take the mj4 ota and do one of the methods below.)

WARNING!!!!! THE MJ4 UPDATE MAY CONTAIN A NEW BOOTLOADER!!!
    LOOK HERE for bootloader warning http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2503620
    there have been reports of people flipping knox trying to downgrade from mj4.
    at the moment there is no full mj4 file. be careful (more info post #142)
    i take no responsibility for any of this :)

Currently the best method for doing this
    Get the full official mi5 file from --http://hotfile.com/dl/251958168/19cbccf/SPR-N900PVPUBMI5-20131004144419.zip.html
    this will serve as the basis for rooting straight to mi5.

next go HERE http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2498850
    read that page twice. read it again.

i used those files on a copy of the mi5 software to create a modified vega ready version
    from there its pretty much the same
    Just to be safe pull your sd card first.
    FLASH THE STOCK MI5 FIRST (not needed)
    1. Flash the modified vega full mi5 file you created earlier.
    2. do the part with the root files on the sd card.(IT MAY BE BEST TO SKIP THIS PART UNTIL AFTER THE OTA skipping steps 2-4 should let you update,then run the sd files to gain root after update then you should be able to set status official with wanam and you should be all ready to accept the next ota.just skip 2 all together and move steps 3-4 to the end)(thanks @bard77)
    3.install the wanam xposed framework and wanam xposed (the apk is in the market along with a link to the framework get both) make sure to open the framework and click update/install. (This is done in the xposed installer app not the wanam app.)
    4. Spoof system status to official using wanam
    5.accept the ota update and reboot
    6. Copy the vega root files back to the sd
    7.reboot
    8.remove the vega root files again
    9.reboot

10. Check root. i used root checker free from market
    11. check knox status (reboot download mode again)
    12. head back over to the vega thread and throw a thanks and maybe buy designgears a drink!

if using supersu pro keep ota root method. you must run the sd files before accepting ota (must have root first) then you wouldnt need to run them again. but because you have to run them once at some point anyway probably better at this point to go ahead and skip the sd files until after ota and reboot.

I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO SET SYSTEM STATUS BACK TO OFFICIAL WITH WANAM YET>this is no big deal.will just have to wait for the next update anyway. (Check updated method above in red. doing it that way should let you spoof status again.)
    I did not have to wipe data.
    a downgrade will not flip the flag.(ON MJ4 A DOWNGRADE MAY FLIP KNOX!!)
    vega knox safe root works.
    spoofing system status works
    flashing the official sammy again gives you a stock phone with knox still 0x0 and status official.(there is no mj4 full restore be careful!)
    system status custom but no biggie there.

Spoofing system status to official with xposed and taking the ota will remove root.you must use the vega root files again.or supersu pro to keep root.

Flashing any full stock samsung files again will return everything to official.(caution on mj4)

Good enough for me at the moment.
    Also remember flashing a custom kernel\recovery at this time will flip knox.
    Any zip files you would want to flash will need to be done manually instead. Use adb or a file explorer with root access [I use es file explorer] and copy the files over.

THIS WILL NOT RESET KNOX if it has already been flipped. at the moment it looks like a hardware fuse gets blown. there may be no way to reset knox to 0x0. (however i am constantly surprised at what the talented devs on this forum can pull off)
    FLASHING ANY CUSTOM KERNEL/RECOVERY/ROMS will flip the knox flag.

now we can use the native sprint hotspot mod! pretty much my reason for going through this. ( a mj4 odex version http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=46980618#post46980618)

you may need to turn on usb debugging mode also.especially for methods below.
    you can turn on usb debugging mode here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2468680

IF YOUR ALREADY ON MJ4:
    the method above will not work for you.
    you will not be able to downgrade to run the vega files.
    at least until samsung releases a mj4 upgrade.
    for now your best option might be an app called kingoroot but beware it may be dangerous from a security pov (http://www.no links please) (thanks @cherylbaker @dallastx for testing for us)
    another option may be using vroot tool . (once again you will need to google it do not post links. please.) (thanks @cyphol post #190 with instructions on how to use a few posts later)
    For anyone still on the fence about this... i can report another 12 hours of use 6 screen on. Not a single fc or other issue. I call it perfectly fine. Now time to start mucking around with a bunch of tweaks and crap. Woooooot

From my Note 3 using Tapatalk
    I'm also currently working on getting us mj4 hotspot again. See the development section. Currently have deodex done. Just need to odex it back up this afternoon.

Kingo has complied with XDA rules. Confirmed by the mods.

Sent From Heaven on my Note 3
    There is one more rooting method for Note 3 which is using vroot tool by Chinese devs on mgyun. I've tried it on my SM-N9005 International version successfully without tripping knox. Google it. :) It's in chinese but working flawlessly... Hmmm... rebooting from wanam working also. You can find vroot tutorial in English on youtube. Search for it. ;)