Moto X XT1058 (International Version from another country?)

Search This thread

tKoHaXoR

Aug 5, 2010
LA
I purchased it in Aurora, CO from a buddy that said he was using it on T-Mobile.

Everything works great even the LTE on T-Mobile, but from what I read the XT1058 was AT&T's variant of the Moto X and wasnt supposed to support the T-Mobile LTE bands.

I did a little research & found out that it is not a AT&T branded XT1058 and is actually from another country.
After checking the Moto X wiki i came to the conclusion that its the XT1058 model from TIM Brazil

I used it the whole day and noticed an app called "BR Apps" that had a brazil flag in the icon that i just can't uninstall. I can disable it but i want it gone.

I want to root this phone and fiddle with it, but don't know what will work with it.

The bootloader is locked and not sure if it is safe for me to start trying to root this thing.
My biggest question is if it is safe to root this XT1058 the same way as the AT&T or other carrier moto x?

Heres some more info on it.

"Android Version"

"Baseband Version"
MSM8960PRO_BP-2323.031.111.00R

"System Version"
161.44.26.ghost_row.TIM.en.BR

"Build number"
KXA20.16-1.26

Reactions: Noed

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
I purchased it in Aurora, CO from a buddy that said he was using it on T-Mobile.

Everything works great even the LTE on T-Mobile, but from what I read the XT1058 was AT&T's variant of the Moto X and wasnt supposed to support the T-Mobile LTE bands.

I did a little research & found out that it is not a AT&T branded XT1058 and is actually from another country.
After checking the Moto X wiki i came to the conclusion that its the XT1058 model from TIM Brazil

I used it the whole day and noticed an app called "BR Apps" that had a brazil flag in the icon that i just can't uninstall. I can disable it but i want it gone.

I want to root this phone and fiddle with it, but don't know what will work with it.

The bootloader is locked and not sure if it is safe for me to start trying to root this thing.
My biggest question is if it is safe to root this XT1058 the same way as the AT&T or other carrier moto x?

"Android Version"

"Baseband Version"

"System Version"

"Build number"
KXA20.16-1.26

The AT&T Moto X (and ALL the XT1058 variants) DOES support all the LTE bands that T-Mobile uses. It does NOT support the AWS band which T-Mobile uses for HSPA/HSPA+

All of the XT1058 variants have the same frequency bands....otherwise the FCC would require a different FCC ID.

Anyways, its GREAT that you have a non-U.S. XT1058, because you SHOULD be able to unlock the bootloader from Motos website!!! (AT&T XT1058s can NOT be unlocked through Moto....AT&T won't allow them to give out the unlock codes for the AT&T variants)

If you want root, unlock your bootloader and flash TWRP (which will root the device). Then you're all set! No crazy exploits needed......and you'll be safe with future versions because you won't be using a root 'exploit' that can be patched.

Unlock here: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a

Make sense?

Last edited:
Reactions: Noed and tKoHaXoR

tKoHaXoR

Aug 5, 2010
LA
Makes perfect sense. I upgraded from a t-mobile galaxy s3 that was easier to root because of odin software and wasn't 100% sure where I would even start rooting this moto. You pretty much cleared everything up for me. This xt1058 is one of the good ones is what you are saying and its boot loader is ublockable. As far as baseband it should remain the same? Can I flash xt1058/xt1053 ROMs without running into weird issues or should I treat this device like any other US version?

Sent from my XT1058 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Makes perfect sense. I upgraded from a t-mobile galaxy s3 that was easier to root because of odin software and wasn't 100% sure where I would even start rooting this moto. You pretty much cleared everything up for me. This xt1058 is one of the good ones is what you are saying and its boot loader is ublockable. As far as baseband it should remain the same? Can I flash xt1058/xt1053 ROMs without running into weird issues or should I treat this device like any other US version?

Yep, pretty much. One of the 'good' ones :)

It *should* be bootloader unlockable. You will have to try the moto website I linked to see for sure.

You can flash any XT1058 rom safely....the Rogers Canada version seems to be a favorite around here. Some users have reported flashing the XT1053 rom without any issues as well. The XT1058 has 2 additional LTE bands over and above the 1053, and we aren't sure if you 'lose' these bands by flashing the 1053 rom though. This really isn't an issue though, because those 2 LTE bands aren't even used in the U.S. right now.

Do not flash one of the CDMA (verizon, sprint, etc) roms though...

If you flash a different carrier rom you should flash the entire rom (baseband and all). Its not recommended to mix different roms and basebands....and of course you HAVE to be bootloader unlocked -before- you can flash another carrier's rom

tKoHaXoR

Aug 5, 2010
LA

It *should* be bootloader unlockable. You will have to try the moto website I linked to see for sure.

You can flash any XT1058 rom safely....the Rogers Canada version seems to be a favorite around here. Some users have reported flashing the XT1053 rom without any issues as well. The XT1058 has 2 additional LTE bands over and above the 1053, and we aren't sure if you 'lose' these bands by flashing the 1053 rom though. This really isn't an issue though, because those 2 LTE bands aren't even used in the U.S. right now.

If you flash a different carrier rom you should flash the entire rom (baseband and all). Its not recommended to mix different roms and basebands....and of course you HAVE to be bootloader unlocked -before- you can flash another carrier's rom

Dude thanks a ton! I went to the regular moto website to try and unlock the bootloader but it was a no go. Then i went thru the brazilian site and it worked! Got the booloader unlocked and will flash my first rom in a matter of minutes.

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Dude thanks a ton! I went to the regular moto website to try and unlock the bootloader but it was a no go. Then i went thru the brazilian site and it worked! Got the booloader unlocked and will flash my first rom in a matter of minutes.

Great! If you get an error when flashing to a different carrier rom, let me know and I'll help you get past it.

Also, if you are planning on flashing the 1053 ROM and updating to 4.4.3, you will need to use a new version of TWRP and SuperSU. See here:
http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/development/recovery-unlocked-twrp-2-6-3-1-android-t2534850/page48

Reactions: tKoHaXoR

tKoHaXoR

Aug 5, 2010
LA
Great! If you get an error when flashing to a different carrier rom, let me know and I'll help you get past it.

Also, if you are planning on flashing the 1053 ROM and updating to 4.4.3, you will need to use a new version of TWRP and SuperSU. See here:
http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/development/recovery-unlocked-twrp-2-6-3-1-android-t2534850/page48

Just flashed the 2.7.0.0 TWRP recovery and installed SuperSu, did a TWRP backup of my system and flashing the T-Mobile stock 4.4.3 Rom from here.

http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/development/rom-stock-flashable-t-mobile-t2773675

Hope all goes well!

EDIT: ALL WENT WELL. Brazil XT1058 Bootloader unlocked, TWRP 2.7.0.0, flashed with XT1053 4.4.3 rooted rom! samwathegreat you are the man!

Last edited:

Noed

Oct 14, 2011
Campinas
Hi guys,

I live in Brazil and got a Moto X for my wife, I love it, now considering buy another for myself :)

She has same version as @tKoHaXoR:
Android Version: 4.4.2
Baseband version: MSM8960PRO_BP_2323.031.111.00R
System version: 161.44.26.ghost_row.TIM.en.BR
Kernel version: 3.4.42-g7a3369f
Build number: KXA20.16-1.26

I'd like to get root and keep the stock ROM, at least for now I won't mess with custom ROMs on it.

My questions:
- once I unlock bootloader and root, I won't get OTA anymore?
- seems 4.4.4 stock is not out for it yet, when it comes I will be able to flash even if I don't get it from OTA?

Sorry it's hard to feel like a noob again, when I did everything possible and flashed dozens of ROMs on my old Galaxy S2 :)

tKoHaXoR

Aug 5, 2010
LA
Hi guys,

I live in Brazil and got a Moto X for my wife, I love it, now considering buy another for myself :)

I'd like to get root and keep the stock ROM, at least for now I won't mess with custom ROMs on it.

My questions:
- seems 4.4.4 stock is not out for it yet, when it comes I will be able to flash even if I don't get it from OTA?

Sorry it's hard to feel like a noob again, when I did everything possible and flashed dozens of ROMs on my old Galaxy S2 :)

I'm not 100% sure if it will still get OTA, but most likely you will get a notification on your phone that the update is available. The thing is you will most likely lose root if you accept the OTA update.

I recommend just rooting and installing custom recovery for now and once the update does roll out come back to XDA and look for the rooted 4.4.4 rom and flash it to your device.

Noed

Oct 14, 2011
Campinas
Thanks @tKoHaXoR, I unlocked the bootloader yesterday, after messing up a little it's working ok.
Not working great yet, I tried to "integrate updates into system" using Titanium and now "modality services" and "active display" are force closing after boot.

Now trying to find a stock based ROM, it would be nice to have one CWM flashable and deodexed...
Which one did you install?

So, as I understand, there's 2 main types of Moto X: CDMA and GSM
And this XT1058 runs GSM ROMS, so the one from XT1053 should work.

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
...I'd like to get root and keep the stock ROM, at least for now I won't mess with custom ROMs on it.

My questions:

Once you unlock the bootloader, and root, you'll still get OTA Updates when the phone's carrier pushes them.

As long as you are stock, and haven't modified too much, you can flash the OTA's. You can be rooted. (for more see -> http://mark.cdmaforums.com/MotoX-OTA.html )

You can always use RSDLite or mFastboot to flash if the SBF (rom) for your phone/carrier gets leaked and put on http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=0 (this site is neither owned, maintained, nor operated by Motorola). They don't have the OTA update files, just the full rom. Based on you earlier posting System version: 161.44.26.ghost_row.TIM.en.BR You have an XT1058 from TIM Brazil.

If you haven't received the OTA yet, but are stock (including stock recovery) and someone shares the OTA zip file for your phone and its carrier, you can manually install it.

Thanks @tKoHaXoR, I unlocked the bootloader yesterday, after messing up a little it's working ok.
Not working great yet, I tried to "integrate updates into system" using Titanium and now "modality services" and "active display" are force closing after boot.

Now trying to find a stock based ROM, it would be nice to have one CWM flashable and deodexed...
Which one did you install?

So, as I understand, there's 2 main types of Moto X: CDMA and GSM
And this XT1058 runs GSM ROMS, so the one from XT1053 should work.
Kind of, but not exactly...

We usually don't recommend flashing the ROM from one model/carrier onto another (like flashing an ATT XT1058 with a T-MObile XT1053) because there are risks something could go wrong. That doesn't mean you can't, just means there is a chance you could mess your phone up either in flashing the other rom, or when you try and flash back to stock.

If you are looking for 3rd party or "after market" roms, like CM or such, then yes, usually they don't include modems and such, making them somewhat model independent. (SO you could flash the same CM ROM for GSM on an XT1052, XT1053, XT1058, etc.)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

"Android Version"

"Baseband Version"

"System Version"

"Build number"
    KXA20.16-1.26

The AT&T Moto X (and ALL the XT1058 variants) DOES support all the LTE bands that T-Mobile uses. It does NOT support the AWS band which T-Mobile uses for HSPA/HSPA+

All of the XT1058 variants have the same frequency bands....otherwise the FCC would require a different FCC ID.

Anyways, its GREAT that you have a non-U.S. XT1058, because you SHOULD be able to unlock the bootloader from Motos website!!! (AT&T XT1058s can NOT be unlocked through Moto....AT&T won't allow them to give out the unlock codes for the AT&T variants)

If you want root, unlock your bootloader and flash TWRP (which will root the device). Then you're all set! No crazy exploits needed......and you'll be safe with future versions because you won't be using a root 'exploit' that can be patched.

Unlock here: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a

Make sense?

"Android Version"

"Baseband Version"

"System Version"

"Build number"
    KXA20.16-1.26

Hi guys,

My questions:

I'm not 100% sure if it will still get OTA, but most likely you will get a notification on your phone that the update is available. The thing is you will most likely lose root if you accept the OTA update.

I recommend just rooting and installing custom recovery for now and once the update does roll out come back to XDA and look for the rooted 4.4.4 rom and flash it to your device.