[Q] Help! My Note 12 is "soft bricked" (I think)

Search This thread

jopop

Jan 19, 2011
Hi!

I need help.

I have the Galaxy Note 12.2, SM-P900 (wifi only version). The device is rooted but running stock recovery and ROM.

I was using Titanium backup as I do with all of my devices and chose to "Integrate Updates Into ROM". It seemed to go successfully but things went wrong once I went to reboot the device.

Upon rebooting, I saw the Samsung logo pop up then the screen went black, not off because I could see the faint glow of the screen lights at the edges, but the screen stayed black. It wouldn't boot. I left it for 10-15 minutes and nothing.

So I then held down the buttons to get into the standard recovery mode, which worked. I tried wiping cache and rebooting. Same thing.

So next I tried going into download mode, which I did, but that's an area I'm not sure what to do with.

I opened up Kies and connected the device but it wouldn't find it.

So I left it with nothing to do until the battery ran down.

Today I picked it up again, hoping that it would magically start up. Nope.

I put it back in recovery mode, wiped cache and did a factory reset, but that didn't work. I can still get into recovery mode and odin mode.

Please help! I really am hoping that I don't have a really expensive brick.

Reactions: saxophone101

jopop

Jan 19, 2011
Followup information

To followup on my original post.

I was able to successfully put the Galaxy Note 12.2 into Odin mode, load up Kies on my PC and connect the Note to the PC.

In the "ID:COM" box it now says "0:[COM5]" with a yellow background and in the "Message" box it shows "<ID:0/005> Added!!".

So can I be hopeful that I might be able to use Odin to recover the Note?!

Thanks again for any help any of you can give. It is certainly appreciated.

jba.33a

Oct 29, 2010
Download odin 3.09
Go to samsung-updates.com site (thos s not Samsung's site, but there you can find firmwares for all sam's devices).
Choose sm-p900 (your model) section and download package for your country (CSC code)
Unzip downloaded package - you should have a file ending with .md5.
Click on AP button *Center to right in Odin), and select unzipped file that ends up with md5.
Wait until file is checked by odin, it can take some time - and click start.
Important: do not tick / untick anything on left side of Odin - do not tick repartition! Leave as it is when you start Odin.
And that's it - wait iunit process ends up. In case no boot, try to wipe data / cache again.

Last edited:

jopop

Jan 19, 2011
Unable to find SM-P900 firmware for the USA?

Download odin 3.09
Go to samsung-updates.com site (thos s not Samsung's site, but there you can find firmwares for all sam's devices).
Choose sm-p900 (your model) section and download package for your country (CSC code)

Hi Thanks for responding so quickly and thoroughly! I went to the updates site as directed and chose my device, but none of the firmwares shown are for the US. I searched online and it shows that the codes for the US are "AWS, CLW, DOB, TMB".

Any further suggestions?

Thanks again.

jba.33a

Oct 29, 2010
Hi Thanks for responding so quickly and thoroughly! I went to the updates site as directed and chose my device, but none of the firmwares shown are for the US. I searched online and it shows that the codes for the US are "AWS, CLW, DOB, TMB".

Any further suggestions?

Thanks again.

Try BTU - since this is wifi model it shold not really matter - and BTU is British one...

Reactions: jopop

larkhillv

May 24, 2012
I am having this same exact issue...

I had root access, downloaded Rom Manager and clicked to install TWRP and it rebooted my tablet and did the same things you describe.

I am still downloading the stock image (it's pretty huge, over 1GB) and hope that this will work :(

I seriously JUST got this tablet. I hope it's not a goner, otherwise that's a ton of money down the drain.... I'll post back with any results once I try running the stock image through Odin.

Edit:

OK, so I was out all day while my tablet was in perpetual blank screen-on mode after the Samsung boot animation. I left it unplugged because there was nothing I could do about it until later anyway. So I let the battery die, and I just got home, plugged it in for a few minutes, boot it up like normal (just using the power button, no Odin or stock recovery) and it prompts me to sign into all of my accounts and stuff, as if I had just gotten the device. I had to re-enter all my info, download all of my apps again, and enable developer options, so I am assuming somehow my tablet reformatted itself into factory conditions after the battery died? I even still have root and supersu on my device, so yeah. I have no idea what ROM Manager did to my device but hopefully it was nothing permanent.

If anyone is having this issue, before you mess around with Odin and trying to reflash a stock image, maybe just let the battery run down, wait a while and boot up like normal?

I'll report back here if my tablet starts going crazy for any unknown reasons, but so far, it seems OK. Hopefully it really did just do a factory image restore by itself and my precious tablet is OK!

Last edited:

Vlip3

Jan 8, 2009
Forest, VA
Where did you get the stock image? I used Odin to flash a rooted ROM but Odin failed and I now get a message that says the firmware upgrade failed. I can get into download mode and Odin recognizes my tablet but I don't have a file that works. What has me panicked is that it says my Knox counter is 1! I really regret now trying to root this. All I really wanted was to be able to add more apps to multi-window. That was not worth the trouble I'm in now. Please help!

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Free mobile app

Bizack

May 1, 2013
Las Vegas
www.vaporbeast.com

Any further suggestions?

Thanks again.

Try BTU - since this is wifi model it shold not really matter - and BTU is British one...

XAR is the region code that you want.
I have a copy if you are in need of it.

I am having this same exact issue...

I had root access, downloaded Rom Manager and clicked to install TWRP and it rebooted my tablet and did the same things you describe.

I am still downloading the stock image (it's pretty huge, over 1GB) and hope that this will work :(

I seriously JUST got this tablet. I hope it's not a goner, otherwise that's a ton of money down the drain.... I'll post back with any results once I try running the stock image through Odin.

Edit:

OK, so I was out all day while my tablet was in perpetual blank screen-on mode after the Samsung boot animation. I left it unplugged because there was nothing I could do about it until later anyway. So I let the battery die, and I just got home, plugged it in for a few minutes, boot it up like normal (just using the power button, no Odin or stock recovery) and it prompts me to sign into all of my accounts and stuff, as if I had just gotten the device. I had to re-enter all my info, download all of my apps again, and enable developer options, so I am assuming somehow my tablet reformatted itself into factory conditions after the battery died? I even still have root and supersu on my device, so yeah. I have no idea what ROM Manager did to my device but hopefully it was nothing permanent.

If anyone is having this issue, before you mess around with Odin and trying to reflash a stock image, maybe just let the battery run down, wait a while and boot up like normal?

I'll report back here if my tablet starts going crazy for any unknown reasons, but so far, it seems OK. Hopefully it really did just do a factory image restore by itself and my precious tablet is OK!

Where did you get the stock image? I used Odin to flash a rooted ROM but Odin failed and I now get a message that says the firmware upgrade failed. I can get into download mode and Odin recognizes my tablet but I don't have a file that works. What has me panicked is that it says my Knox counter is 1! I really regret now trying to root this. All I really wanted was to be able to add more apps to multi-window. That was not worth the trouble I'm in now. Please help!

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Free mobile app

you guys are going to need a couple of things...
the XAR firmware from Sammobile.
ODIN 3.09
CF-AutoRoot from General Section and the bc3 boot img.
If you need files I have them...
Also I have thread in the general section that you can use to un-brick and fix your tablet.
I have bricked and unbricked my device several times. Just remember don't panic and you will be fine. Let me know what you guys need and we will get you up and running again.
Bizack

Last edited:

Bizack

May 1, 2013
Las Vegas
www.vaporbeast.com
1st thing. When you root your tab knox gets tripped. no way around this. So if this is a deal breaker, step on it and take it back. you will not get root love however.
If you do want Root, knox is tripped so why not? Follow these steps.

1. charge your tablet.
2. Down load these files.
Recovery Boot img nb3
TWRP Custom Recovery
Stock NC5 Firmware
CF-AutoRoot (go to His Post in General Section)

When charged, boot into download mode and flash the full stock package. (PDA in 3.07, AP in 3.09 ODIN) don't mess with the check boxes, when it finisheh verifying the md5 just hit start... Go take a break...

When that is done you will be back to stock, original just like you bought it.
Now boot back in to download mode and this time you are going to flash the NB3 recovery image tar... same place in ODIN as before. ( uncheck reboot in ODIN)
When that completes, disconnect your tablet and boot it back into download mode.
When you are back in Download mode, then you can safely flash the CF-AutoRoot.... (leave checks default and flash it in same slot in ODIN.
Finally, when that reboots, go back into odin and flash the custom recovery and then you will be able to boot into recovery and make a back up, (always good to make a back up) you can restore back to point in time. (that you made the backup.)
after you are all done, you can get Xposed installed and tweak the hell out if your rom. At minimum install Titanium Back up and freeze all of the knox apps.

jopop

Jan 19, 2011
Stock Firmware Recovery Failing at system.img

When charged, boot into download mode and flash the full stock package. (PDA in 3.07, AP in 3.09 ODIN) don't mess with the check boxes, when it finisheh verifying the md5 just hit start... Go take a break...

Hi Bizack.

Thank you for coming in and giving detailed information on restoring our devices. It has been maddening to say the least.

I downloaded all of the files that you linked to and followed your instructions.

However, when during the first step for flashing the full stock package, it fails at system.img

Right now it is giving me the "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue" screen, then there is some message in Chinese or Korean at the bottom of that.

I have tried Kies Emergency Firmware Recovery and it just doesn't recognize the device as needing it or being valid I guess.

So do you have any idea why it works up until system.img?

I had previously been able to use Odin to flash the firmware for China, then replaced it with New Zealand and those never failed at system.img.

But I really want it back to US firmware.

Thanks again for any help, suggestions or advice you can give.

Jo Pop

jopop

Jan 19, 2011
I was continuing to try to find answers online, and there found some questions about a "pit" file when people are changing regions?

Could this be part of the problem? I had accidentally flashed the Chinese firmware and then flashed the New Zealand firmware, but since then I can never get the United States (XAR) firmware to flash.

If it is, where would I find the right PIT file?

Thanks again.

Reactions: RaSand

Bizack

May 1, 2013
Las Vegas
www.vaporbeast.com
I was continuing to try to find answers online, and there found some questions about a "pit" file when people are changing regions?

Could this be part of the problem? I had accidentally flashed the Chinese firmware and then flashed the New Zealand firmware, but since then I can never get the United States (XAR) firmware to flash.

If it is, where would I find the right PIT file?

Thanks again.

Flash it again in odin, this time Check "nand erease all", this will clear out any residual crap left over from failed flash attempts.
You did get the full firmware for the p900 from me?

Sent from my SM-P900 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jopop

Jan 19, 2011
Odin Failed at erase all nand while flashing XAR NC5 firmware

Flash it again in odin, this time Check "nand erease all", this will clear out any residual crap left over from failed flash attempts.
You did get the full firmware for the p900 from me?

Yes I downloaded all of the files you provided links to and followed your instructions again. This last time I checked "nand erase all" as I was flashing the NC5 firmware you provided.

It failed at Erase.

<ID:0/008> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> P900UEU1ANC5_P900XAR1ANC5_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/008> Odin v.3 engine (ID:8)..
<ID:0/008> File analysis..
<ID:0/008> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/008> Initialzation..
<ID:0/008> Erase...
<ID:0/008>
<ID:0/008> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

These problems only seem to happen when trying to flash back to the original XAR firmware. I had no problems when I had flashed the Chinese and New Zealand firmwares.

I'm at a loss, but I'm hoping that you are not. :)

I don't know if this helps, but on the Odin screen I have the following information:

Product Name: SM-P900
Current Binary: Samsung Official
System Status: Official
Knox Warranty Void: 1
AP SWREV: A1

Also, when I go into recovery mode, on the bottom left it says that it is applying the CSC code of XAR even though the firmware currently installed on it is the XXU (New Zealand) one. EXCEPT for the one screen when you first go into download mode, before clicking up to accept, that screen is in Chinese or Korean.

If you have any other ideas, suggestions, need more info, pictures of any screens, whatever, please let me know.

My continued thanks for your help. I have spent a dozen hours on the phone with different Samsung people who have told me to do a factory reset and it will be fine, use Kies and do a recovery which never works, etc. So you have provided more actual technical help than any of them have.

jopop

Jan 19, 2011
Further info after Odin Fail during Erase

After I posted my last message, I went to reboot the device into recovery. It did load in, but at the bottom left there are error messages that were not there before.

# MANUAL MODE #
-- Appling Multi-CSC...
Applied the CSC-code : XAR
Successfully applied multi-CSC.
E:failed to mount /data (Invalid argument)
can't mount '/data' (Invalid argument)
E:Can't mount /data/log/recovery_log.txt

I don't know if that helps more or means that I'm really screwed now.

At the top by the way it shows that the following: Android system recovery <3e> KOT49H.P900XXUANB3

Bizack

May 1, 2013
Las Vegas
www.vaporbeast.com
After I posted my last message, I went to reboot the device into recovery. It did load in, but at the bottom left there are error messages that were not there before.

# MANUAL MODE #
-- Appling Multi-CSC...
Applied the CSC-code : XAR
Successfully applied multi-CSC.
can't mount '/data' (Invalid argument)
E:Can't mount /data/log/recovery_log.txt

I don't know if that helps more or means that I'm really screwed now.

At the top by the way it shows that the following: Android system recovery <3e>

I am at a loss with the chinese firmware.
If you can live with the new zealand, go for it.

Somrthing has to have been changed witht the other firm wares if you cannot successfully flash the stock package.
You are on the nb3 recovery boot loader so you should be able to flash back to stock.
I would try and switch the usb port, remove device open kies reinstall drivers change port let the dirves re install and then try to flash it again. nand erease all and keep switching ports till it works. Find a usb2 port sometimes odin hates usb 3. Try odin 3.07 or 3.09.
I will be on the strip all week\weekend so I will try and look out for your post...
Good luck.

Sent from my SM-P900 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jopop

Jan 19, 2011
No progress. Tried reversing what I did in the first place.

I am at a loss with the chinese firmware.
If you can live with the new zealand, go for it.

So after continued no luck, even after erasing the nand when flashing the XAR firmware, I went ahead and flashed the XXU firmware, no problem. Then I realized that I initially went from XAR to the Chinese version then to the XXU. So I factory reset everything and I reflashed the Chinese firmware (P900ZCUAND4_P900CHNAND4_CHN). No problem. Flashing went fine. Rebooted into Chinese.

So I again went in to recovery, did a factory reset, then rebooted into recovery, reloaded Odin 3.09 and attempted to flash the firmware that you linked to (P900UEU1ANC5_P900XAR1ANC5_HOME.tar).

And again it failed at the system.img.

<ID:0/008> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> P900UEU1ANC5_P900XAR1ANC5_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/008> Odin v.3 engine (ID:8)..
<ID:0/008> File analysis..
<ID:0/008> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/008> Initialzation..
<ID:0/008> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/008> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/008> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/008> boot.img
<ID:0/008> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/008> recovery.img
<ID:0/008> sboot.bin
<ID:0/008> system.img
<ID:0/008> FAIL!
<ID:0/008>
<ID:0/008> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

I'm at a complete loss why those other two firmwares can be flashed and reflashed with no issue, but the XAR version can not and Kies doesn't recognize it as needing help or when I try to force it to do something, it then says that it can not update my version of the device. I'm guessing that is because I am not in New Zealand or China.

Anyone have anything for this?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1st thing. When you root your tab knox gets tripped. no way around this. So if this is a deal breaker, step on it and take it back. you will not get root love however.

1. charge your tablet.
    Recovery Boot img nb3
    TWRP Custom Recovery
    Stock NC5 Firmware

Now boot back in to download mode and this time you are going to flash the NB3 recovery image tar... same place in ODIN as before. ( uncheck reboot in ODIN)
    When that completes, disconnect your tablet and boot it back into download mode.
    When you are back in Download mode, then you can safely flash the CF-AutoRoot.... (leave checks default and flash it in same slot in ODIN.
    Finally, when that reboots, go back into odin and flash the custom recovery and then you will be able to boot into recovery and make a back up, (always good to make a back up) you can restore back to point in time. (that you made the backup.)
    after you are all done, you can get Xposed installed and tweak the hell out if your rom. At minimum install Titanium Back up and freeze all of the knox apps.
    Download odin 3.09
    Unzip downloaded package - you should have a file ending with .md5.
    Click on AP button *Center to right in Odin), and select unzipped file that ends up with md5.
    Wait until file is checked by odin, it can take some time - and click start.
    Important: do not tick / untick anything on left side of Odin - do not tick repartition! Leave as it is when you start Odin.
    And that's it - wait iunit process ends up. In case no boot, try to wipe data / cache again.

1. charge your tablet.
    Recovery Boot img nb3
    TWRP Custom Recovery
    Stock NC5 Firmware

DUDE!!! THANK YOU!!!! You saved me!!!! I was at the yellow exclamation point because I got stuck at the Samsung logo...I was rooted and it all was working fine. Then I installed Chromecast and something went haywire (I have NO clue how that app caused an issue?) I tried Kies and that didn't recognize my device. Your advice worked FLAWLESSLY!!! THANK YOU so much!!!!
    I am having the same problem but your links are not valid anymore. Can you tell me where to download them?

You need bootloader, CSC is not important
    https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=62574218&postcount=3
    AP file is here, Cellular South is US region
    https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SM-P900/
    Followup information

To followup on my original post.

I was able to successfully put the Galaxy Note 12.2 into Odin mode, load up Kies on my PC and connect the Note to the PC.

In the "ID:COM" box it now says "0:[COM5]" with a yellow background and in the "Message" box it shows "<ID:0/005> Added!!".

So can I be hopeful that I might be able to use Odin to recover the Note?!

Thanks again for any help any of you can give. It is certainly appreciated.