Stay or Go with the SkyRocket lack of Dev Support

Search This thread

iRide113

Oct 31, 2010
Paso Robles, California
After playing with both the Sky Rocket and SGS II for about a month each, the SGS II is overall better - specs and use. Development will come to the Sky Rocket surely, although never on the same scale as for the SGS II.

Danielk425

Jul 23, 2011
Quadcores are just around the corner. Its pointless upgrading to a dual core. I will gladly keep my skyrocket until i pick up my quadcore sammy device. 4 cores mabye 2 gigs ram and a big super amoled with lte is what im waiting for

can I get a big storage wars yuuuupppp lol sorry I don't know where that came from

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Mortem Tuam

Feb 1, 2011
Chicago
mortemtuam.weebly.com
After playing with both the Sky Rocket and SGS II for about a month each, the SGS II is overall better - specs and use. Development will come to the Sky Rocket surely, although never on the same scale as for the SGS II.

I'm ok with development coming slow. I'm only going to root my skyrocket, no ROM. It works just fine as is.

How's it going Tony :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

tejones36

Mar 11, 2011
St. Louis
So here we are approaching the 30 day window for returns with ATT.
Well, this seems more of a troll -- even if you bought the phone day one you have another week - But I'll attempt to correct your innacuracies.
I previously had a ATT Galaxy 2 and returned it for the SkyRocket because I am in an LTE area. Well I love the LTE Speeds but I have some negatives with the SR and would like some input not flames.
If you previously had one, then you can't go back unless the AT&T store guy was incorrect when I asked about the return policy when I bought mine. That wouldn't surprise me, but I'll be very amused if he's right and you are stuck with the phone unless you want to pay full price.
Concerns:
1. Processor is not as fast as the Exynos and the benchmarks support the statement. As a result video's can get choppy.
There's an entire benchmark thread stickied, take some time to read it. The skyrocket is faster on every benchmark, outside of some Quadrant runs, mainly because Quadrant is a random number generator. I benched both the original Galaxy S II (I had it as well) and the Skyrocket, and the skyrocket is faster. Assuming you own the phone, try it for yourself, but there are plenty of screenshots there.
2. Kernel Development is limited and moving slow.
There are a couple of Kernel's, and while I am only using Da_g's, it overclocks quite nicely, underclocks and undervolts to save power, and is quite stable. Exactly what features are you looking for? Entropy makes a fine kernel agreed (even if he is a bit too inflammatory about his opinion of the Skyrocket IMO), but I certainly wouldn't see the community development here as "limited" or "slow". It's open source, you could always contribute if you are unhappy with the progress...
3. ROM Development is limited and moving slow.
I'm not really a big ROM guy, but it's a new phone - we're not exactly going to have a CyanogenMod daily yet. There's not one for my Kindle Fire yet either, but I'm not complaining about it ... it's been out only a week less than the Skyrocket. (The Galaxy S II is a rehash of the International, so yeah, they have a lot more development time in - after all, it's an old design.)
Each and every ROM has issues whether its MMS or LTE Support or SoD on the kernel development.
... Da_G's Kernel 0.4-pre had an SoD issue (for me anyway). 0.3 is quite stable; and that's why it's an actual release. So that's inflammatory and innacurate - if you are going to complain about alpha and beta releases, stick with actual releases. That's just plain silly.
So do I stay or go? What are your thoughts are you staying or going?
I'd vote you to go personally. :) Good luck returning that phone.

Reactions: EvilEvo

tejones36

Mar 11, 2011
St. Louis
The sprint and at&t og sgs2 are the most similiar to the International one.

The ****rocket and tmo sgs2 are the mutated ones.

I was planning to get a ****rocket, but after reading about the LTE throttling, bad ppi, and snapdragon chipset, I decided to sell my og SGSII and go with the Note.

Lets just say, once you use the note, you will not be able to use small phones anymore.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

There really should be some type of theme music that plays for invasion of the trolls. :)

Reactions: sulpher

iRide113

Oct 31, 2010
Paso Robles, California
Had them both and prefer the Skyrocket.

See, it's going to be different for everyone.

I'm ok with development coming slow. I'm only going to root my skyrocket, no ROM. It works just fine as is.

I just couldn't handle the screen size. Soooooo big, it barely fit in my pocket haha. My dad loves it though, so I think I am going to sell his SGS II I got him and get him a SkyRocket.

It's been good! Finally have a break from college and can come back to XDA to play around. I miss it. :D

Reactions: Mortem Tuam

Earthdog

Mar 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Well, this seems more of a troll -- even if you bought the phone day one you have another week - But I'll attempt to correct your innacuracies.

Wow buddy slow down there a bit. I have been here since the day it released.

If you previously had one, then you can't go back unless the AT&T store guy was incorrect when I asked about the return policy when I bought mine. That wouldn't surprise me, but I'll be very amused if he's right and you are stuck with the phone unless you want to pay full price.

I have a Corporate Account and they are quite flexible.

There's an entire benchmark thread stickied, take some time to read it. The skyrocket is faster on every benchmark, outside of some Quadrant runs, mainly because Quadrant is a random number generator. I benched both the original Galaxy S II (I had it as well) and the Skyrocket, and the skyrocket is faster. Assuming you own the phone, try it for yourself, but there are plenty of screenshots there.

Sorry but if you add a custom kernel and ROM the SGII currently is quite a bit faster and does not have the documented video studders.

There are a couple of Kernel's, and while I am only using Da_g's, it overclocks quite nicely, underclocks and undervolts to save power, and is quite stable. Exactly what features are you looking for? Entropy makes a fine kernel agreed (even if he is a bit too inflammatory about his opinion of the Skyrocket IMO), but I certainly wouldn't see the community development here as "limited" or "slow". It's open source, you could always contribute if you are unhappy with the progress...

I wish I had the skills to help develop but I don't however, I put my money where my mouth is and I HAVE donated to the cause.

I'm not really a big ROM guy, but it's a new phone - we're not exactly going to have a CyanogenMod daily yet. There's not one for my Kindle Fire yet either, but I'm not complaining about it ... it's been out only a week less than the Skyrocket. (The Galaxy S II is a rehash of the International, so yeah, they have a lot more development time in - after all, it's an old design.)

... Da_G's Kernel 0.4-pre had an SoD issue (for me anyway). 0.3 is quite stable; and that's why it's an actual release. So that's inflammatory and innacurate - if you are going to complain about alpha and beta releases, stick with actual releases. That's just plain silly.

Please point me in another direction for another kernel to try. And Da_g's kernel does not SoD for all and .3 is the most stable. He himself is seeing the SoD and is working very hard to resolve this and I am sure he will get this working.

To note I appreciate vocally and monetarily to the Dev's we do have. However this phone has not drawn a big development group yet. Its clear by the donation thread there are many wanting to come to the SR but to date its a small team.

I was simply asking for an opinion and its clear everyone has one as do you.

Thanks for your input.

andTab

Nov 20, 2011
I would be tempted by the skyrocket but the lack of dev support and the huge size are pretty big turn-offs.
Are there no LTE phones on the horizon that are "normal" size, eg like the Nexus S and Nexus One?

Earthdog

Mar 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I would be tempted by the skyrocket but the lack of dev support and the huge size are pretty big turn-offs.
Are there no LTE phones on the horizon that are "normal" size, eg like the Nexus S and Nexus One?

Have you actually put your hands on one? I personally did not see much of a difference from the Atrix to the SGII and then the step to the SR wasn't noticeable at all.

Meilannu

Oct 6, 2011
Maybe for you guys that tweak the phones there is going to be a difference but for someone like me both phones are great. But i prefer the larger screen of the SR because i swear the keypad is a bit larger. Also to me it's faster. Plus the 4G is blazing fast in my area. Best phone i have ever had. Added the PowerSkin to it and I'm set.

Meilannu

Oct 6, 2011
Do you know if we will be able to update to ICS? And if so would the phone have to be stock to update?

GalaxySkyrocket500

Nov 16, 2011
Houston Tx
I would never pay more than $300 for a phone.

Me neither.. was thinking of getting the Nexus, but will never pay more then $300 for it.....:D

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

I have used the OGSGII and its nothing compared to the SR.. its smaller and if the sgII is faster then the sr then its marginal... I just got damn near 6600 on Antu with stock rom and rooted clocked at 1.72... how much faster you want these things?

iRide113

Oct 31, 2010
Paso Robles, California
Me neither.. was thinking of getting the Nexus, but will never pay more then $300 for it.....:D

I got my SGS II for $.97 along with my SkyRocket.

Originally when I got my Cappy, I got it for $75 the week it came out without a new contract.

My Galaxy Tab 10.1in was $200 only.

^All of these thanks to BestBuy matching deals. I am going to pick up my Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime 32GB 10.1in for $250 brand new without a contract. BestBuy is the best.

Can't wait for a quadcore tablet! :D

GalaxySkyrocket500

Nov 16, 2011
Houston Tx
I got my SGS II for $.97 along with my SkyRocket.

Originally when I got my Cappy, I got it for $75 the week it came out without a new contract.

My Galaxy Tab 10.1in was $200 only.

^All of these thanks to BestBuy matching deals. I am going to pick up my Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime 32GB 10.1in for $250 brand new without a contract. BestBuy is the best.

Can't wait for a quadcore tablet! :D

Thinking of getting the Galaxy tab 10.1.. here in Houston its $499.. How do you like it?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    :eek: ordered from at&t? :eek:

is it available for at&t?

Only thing I don't like is the Nexus has no expandable storage.

The "Galaxy Nexus".

Not the Nexus One or the Nexus S. I ordered it from Expansys-usa should be here sometime this week. Nexus Prime was just a name they used when the phone was being developed. Cost me $729.99 with a -$20 coupon code for the site. The no SD card thing kinda bummed me out and thats originally why I bought the SR over it but after using google music during beta and now that its out and free. I have realized that 16gb will be enough storage for me since I can stream all of my music through google music. The SR was nice but I really want that stock android experience and not to have to wait for updates from AT&T or samsung. I got burnt out on waiting when using the Infuse. How many times did AT&T promise Gingerbread for the infuse...

If anyone wants the coupon code for Expansys usa its: 20OFFLS
    i would agree, but the note is not LTE ready if you buy it overseas so you can keep it. once it hits the US with LTE i will buy it and will not look back.

for now i am very happy with the rocket, i dont notice this lag in videos or ****rocket talk. i had the sgs2 for a week and was not blown away buy any means in the comparison. do what you will - ITS YOUR phone and you have to live with it. i plan on upgrading to either the nexus if it hits or the Note once it hits anyway so the rocket is just a short stop for 4 months or so till one of thoes drops anyway.

Exactly..I tried the SGS2 orig because of this Exynos talk..well it was slower than the Skyrocket. In terms of ROM, I have it working complete with 14 toggle mod, camera hack to use power button to click, 3200-3500+ quadrant (if it means anything really) without any special kernels no overclocking etc, no random reboots, no locks to freeze and take out battery etc., NO! SODs, no video lags (whatever folks talk of..have downloaded many videos and play them directly), no MMS issue at all !...Vis Voicemail etc all work..even modified the dialer so that have the Tmob type dialer with extra button for voicemail along side the button for the phone on one side and the messaging button on the other side.

only miss in-dialer video chat (3G direct..not talking of Google talk) that is there in I9000 (orig SGS not SGS2) ROMs and the Infuse (modified dialer there too for direct video chat)..the ROM for the Sky and the T989 do not support this (maybe trying to move folks to Google Talk..do not need that)..neither does the orig
    SGS2 anyway

Even have a TMob rom set up for this device with all the above except Vis Vmail..even fixed in-call volume using I727 library files..

wonder what folks are complaining about..do not care 4G LTE all that stuff..it is fast no matter what..

however .lost 70$ because of this Exynos nonsense (in my opinion)..35 restocking fee to return and 35 to change from Sky to org SGS2 back to Sky..my loss the hard way.
    So here we are approaching the 30 day window for returns with ATT.
    I previously had a ATT Galaxy 2 and returned it for the SkyRocket because I am in an LTE area. Well I love the LTE Speeds but I have some negatives with the SR and would like some input not flames.
    Concerns:
    1. Processor is not as fast as the Exynos and the benchmarks support the statement. As a result video's can get choppy.
    2. Kernel Development is limited and moving slow.
    3. ROM Development is limited and moving slow.
    Each and every ROM has issues whether its MMS or LTE Support or SoD on the kernel development.
    So do I stay or go? What are your thoughts are you staying or going?
    The sprint and at&t og sgs2 are the most similiar to the International one.

The ****rocket and tmo sgs2 are the mutated ones.

I was planning to get a ****rocket, but after reading about the LTE throttling, bad ppi, and snapdragon chipset, I decided to sell my og SGSII and go with the Note.

Lets just say, once you use the note, you will not be able to use small phones anymore.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

There really should be some type of theme music that plays for invasion of the trolls. :)
    Had them both and prefer the Skyrocket.

See, it's going to be different for everyone.

I just couldn't handle the screen size. Soooooo big, it barely fit in my pocket haha. My dad loves it though, so I think I am going to sell his SGS II I got him and get him a SkyRocket.

It's been good! Finally have a break from college and can come back to XDA to play around. I miss it. :D