[ROM][DEV]CM10.1 Kang Alpha[Android 4.2.1][28NOV build3]

Search This thread

Inerthia

Aug 30, 2009
hi bruce,
great work!!
i rellay want to know why things like camera cause issues again and again with every new android version. don't get me wrong - i really don't want to blame you. i'm really interested in the development of roms. what's the difference in android's source code, that causes hardware to fail from one version to another? i'm wondering about that since I got my first android smartphone running android 2.1 :)

HTC is lazy to release/update the camera drivers i believe.

troedi

May 10, 2010
HTC is lazy to release/update the camera drivers i believe.

actually i wanted to know what's different in android 4.2 compared to 4.1.2 so that the drivers don't work anymore. when i upgrade my notebook from windows 7 to windows 8 i can install nearly every win7 drivers...
so what does google change in every android version that causes drivers of camera, sd-card reader,... to fail? the hardware itself can't change... the drivers we have can't change... it must be the operating system itself :)

glaeb

Apr 6, 2012
I think that they are trying to improve performance in the android system.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using xda app-developers app

Bluewall

Apr 7, 2010
Sion
fr.miui.ch
actually i wanted to know what's different in android 4.2 compared to 4.1.2 so that the drivers don't work anymore. when i upgrade my notebook from windows 7 to windows 8 i can install nearly every win7 drivers...
so what does google change in every android version that causes drivers of camera, sd-card reader,... to fail? the hardware itself can't change... the drivers we have can't change... it must be the operating system itself :)

It's pretty much simple.

To have, for example, the camera working, you need the driver. This driver, if needed, have to be updated to match the OS. The fact that you can easily upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8 is because, for example again, nVidia provide the driver for your graphic card updated to Windows 8. Closed source but released.

In the Android world, if the manufacturer, like HTC, doesn't update the Sensation to JB, no need to have the camera driver for JB, they obviously don't give a **** about us.

What would be great, if HTC doesn't update the Sensation to JB, is that they just release the JB kernel to us, so we will have all the driver. Well, almost, there's another problem!

For example, again :D, the bluetooth driver from HTC doesn't work as it is on AOSP cause it doesn't use the same interface, HTC use a stupid one anyway. So even with the driver, if it's not a Sense ROM, we may have to tweak it to have it working with AOSP ROM.

As you can see, it's always a big deal sadly.

The current JB ROM 4.1.2, correct me if i'm wrong, doesn't use "proper" JB driver for most the of things, it's ICS driver tweaked to work on JB.

Anyway, i'm not sure about everything I said here, but i guess i'm pretty close of the reality :p

pyramid

Apr 18, 2009
Melbourne
It's pretty much simple.

To have, for example, the camera working, you need the driver. This driver, if needed, have to be updated to match the OS. The fact that you can easily upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8 is because, for example again, nVidia provide the driver for your graphic card updated to Windows 8. Closed source but released.

In the Android world, if the manufacturer, like HTC, doesn't update the Sensation to JB, no need to have the camera driver for JB, they obviously don't give a **** about us.

What would be great, if HTC doesn't update the Sensation to JB, is that they just release the JB kernel to us, so we will have all the driver. Well, almost, there's another problem!

For example, again :D, the bluetooth driver from HTC doesn't work as it is on AOSP cause it doesn't use the same interface, HTC use a stupid one anyway. So even with the driver, if it's not a Sense ROM, we may have to tweak it to have it working with AOSP ROM.

The current JB ROM 4.1.2, correct me if i'm wrong, doesn't use "proper" JB driver for most the of things, it's ICS driver tweaked to work on JB.

Anyway, i'm not sure about everything I said here, but i guess i'm pretty close of the reality :p

Nicely explained.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using xda premium

DugyC

Jul 19, 2011
It's pretty much simple.

Thanks for a very clear explanation, makes a lot of sense... and gives good reason for me not to buy another HTC handset in future.

Bluewall

Apr 7, 2010
Sion
fr.miui.ch
Thanks for a very clear explanation, makes a lot of sense... and gives good reason for me not to buy another HTC handset in future.

Always great to share knowledge and to learn new things :)

But to be honnest, i made it a little bit easier. But the real truth is even more complicated.

It depends for each device/manufacturer, but for our Sensation, some drivers are made by HTC and some are made by Qualcomm (since they are used for the motherboad, made by qcomm), so you have to blame HTC and qualcomm :p

troedi

May 10, 2010
It's pretty much simple.

thx for this info.... so in fact we mean the kernel when we're talking about the drivers? Anyway - I can't understand why a new Android version has to be that different, that "simple" things l like a camera don't work anymore. i really want to know the reason for changing the hardware interface completely from release to release... :confused:

Skipjacks

Nov 1, 2011
Baltimore
Anyway - I can't understand why a new Android version has to be that different, that "simple" things l like a camera don't work anymore. i really want to know the reason for changing the hardware interface completely from release to release... :confused:

Because they are trying to improve it. Either with better UI, to make it less resource intensive, to have better battery life, etc etc etc.

If they didn't need to be changed for improvement, they wouldn't be. If there's a change, it's because it's an attempted improvement. Sometimes changes end up being abysmal failures (See Windows Vista for a shining example) but they are all attempts to improve performance, battery life, interface, or something else.

In order to make major changes like that to give us better performance, software usually has to interact with hardware differently than it did before.

Without those changes we'd still be using old operating systems for our computer products like this....

MS-DOS_125a.jpg

Remember those days of the A: prompt era, even before hard drives gave us the mind blowing C:\> prompt? When computing was all green text? (I still remember when they came out with Amber colored screens....still seems a little flashy an ostentascious to me...)

I mean sure, MS DOS 1.25 worked. Worked pretty well in fact for what it was intended to do. But it wasn't efficient code and it required hardware that while extremely slow, would burn through a modern cell phone battery in about 12 seconds. So in order to make the software more robust, it had to constantly evolve in a symbiotic relationship with hardware.

The current status of that evolution is your Smartphone, which is nothing more than a computer that fits nicely in your pocket, but with about a million times more computing power than the Apollo Moon missions had. (And I don't mean just the computers on the lunar module. I mean the combined computing power of the entire 1960's space program.)

And it's all because software designers made major changes to the software and hardware designed made major changes to hardware. All in attempts to make everything smaller, faster, more reliable, etc etc etc

Last edited:

Bluewall

Apr 7, 2010
Sion
fr.miui.ch
thx for this info.... so in fact we mean the kernel when we're talking about the drivers? Anyway - I can't understand why a new Android version has to be that different, that "simple" things l like a camera don't work anymore. i really want to know the reason for changing the hardware interface completely from release to release... :confused:

And since we only have proper ICS drivers, we have to hack/tweak them to make them work with new version, that's why it's complicated :)

The kernel is not equal to drivers, the drivers are in the kernel but it's more than just that :p

topgeardave

Aug 5, 2011
Bad news from the xperia s 4.2 source from sony: "internally we also have audio and the modem running. However, these functions require proprietary binaries that we cannot publish at the time being"
They might release it one day! But for now we have to focus on porting everything forward to 4.2.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THREAD UNDER CONSTRUCTION

This is an early build of CyanogenMod 10.1 Android 4.2.1 for the HTC Sensation

Working

SD card
    Display
    Radio
    WiFi

Not Working

Camera
    Bluetooth
    Audio

I have'nt tested anything else but will update list as I find bugs.

ROM Download HERE

Gapps HERE

Screenshots

y8usegyj.jpg

arysy2yh.jpg

azahyda4.jpg

Kernel source @ github.com/bruce2728
    Change log.........
    Thread cleaned

C'mon guys, from 72 posts I had to delete 36, exactly half for being either off-topic, or meaningless.
    This is a development thread, no kindergarden. If you don't have anything to say concerning the development of this rom, don't say anything at all.

Thanks for your understanding
    This ROM seems abandoned, when audio is fixed I will switch

Nope just short of time at the moment.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    I know many won't agree with me, at all. But, shouldn't you guys get one JB rom working properly before piling on other roms that are even more unstable?

Ugh. Bruce had his CM10 Kang pretty darn solid when he was asked to take over the OS2 ROM... being the nice guy, and great Dev that he is, he took it on board. What better Dev to do so?

Lol, its always one thing or another. If he didn't start work on 4.2, no doubt there would be people complaining about that! Why wouldn't he want to start implementing it, especially now its actually released?

Why can't you just be happy that you have the choice of 3 potentially great ROMS, from a very hardworking and talented Dev? I know I am, along with many many others.

Sent from my Bruce's CM10 Sensation using XDA Premium