HTC partners with KDDI to launch HTC J One (HTL22)

Search This thread

stealthenator2

Aug 15, 2012
Hopefully, this means their next flagship will have a sd card slot if other variants of the One has been getting it.

Sent from my HTC Butterfly S

dc_nc123

Sep 26, 2012
My sim slot tray is broken and now unable to detect sim :(

anyone of you guys know where to order parts for it? ive'd searched allover the web already and can't find replacement parts for it. please help... i'm from philippines by the way! thnx!

patrixl

Jul 12, 2010
Hmm I wonder if there's any way to pressure AU or HTC Japan to release details about further software updates... Still stuck at 4.2.2 and they have yet to reply to my tweets. My Japanese is horrible though, and Japanese people usually prefer buying something new instead of updating I suppose...

Kinda jealous htc USA is going to Twitter a lot to keep people updated about what's going on lol.

Sent from my HTL22 using Tapatalk

patrixl

Jul 12, 2010
@patrixl
I think the best and only way to update your os is via custom rom.. ^_^ since HTC already released their new HTC ONE (M8)

I wish, but custom roms aren't stable enough and it would break functions I depend on while using my phone here in Japan... Plus, HTC has updated the same phone everywhere else in the world, so it sucks if they don't do it in Japan don't you think? Might as well get a non-Japan phone and a MVNO at this point, save money and frustration... Though one man refusing to do so wouldn't change any company's mind anyway haha

patrixl

Jul 12, 2010

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

No, it's definitely not the TV antenna (considering usually the Japanese mobiles have an actual antenna you can pull out, meanwhile the J One needs oneseg-compatible earphones to function properly ie it uses earphones as an antenna).

The little window is most definitely the sekigaisen aka infrared port, as it's exactly the same as every other Japanese mobile I've ever owned lol.

Other differences between the One and the J One (I own both) :

- LED has multiple color support

- LED notifications will work while the phone is charging

- power button is a little bit less flush, a little bit more "clickety" than the international One

- 1mm thicker, so cases are not compatible

- no HTC TV app ie no remote control or TV guide - but then I do get the oneseg TV instead..

- screen is a little bit different - seems dimmer at full brightness, brighter at low brightness, and putting both Ones side by side, the J One's whites are slightly yellow while the One's whites are slightly blue (in comparison to each other)

- seems a tad bit heavier, probably due to the extra hardware (internals + removable back cover)

- no creaks or anything, due to the metal back cover + design of the back cover

- horribly behind in version, still at 1.07.970.4; I blame AU for this one, typical CDMA carrier being slow to update PLUS typical Japanese carrier being slow to update = being very slow to update

- camera always makes sound, even when phone is on silent/vibrate mode (Japan restriction/law I suppose)

- when connected by USB, I get a choice of MTP mode or PC mode which mounts the SD card as USB Mass Storage on my Mac (but only the SD card)

Otherwise it's as snappy as I'd expect, battery life is actually pretty good (can easily get 4 hours screen-on time in 12 hours, that'S with LTE and autosync and battery saver mode on, VS my intl One where I'd also get 4 hours screen on time with the same settings, in a 17 hour timeframe; compared to previous phones I've had, this isn't bad at all, hopefully it'll improve with time/updates/battery calibration/tweaks).

if anyone else has any questions, I'll be happy to answer!

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 PM ----------

I'll probably prder this from japan anyway, but CM or AOKP would be a HUGE +

I suggest you don't, because:

1 - it won't be unlocked, AU will NOT unlock it for you (only Docomo unlocks their phones, after the government strongly suggested carriers do it but never enforced the "law")

2 - it's primarily a CDMA+LTE phone, with GSM/HSPA for roaming, so different radios, different software, etc... and AFAIK Europe has no CDMA ;)

Now _apparently_ the J Butterfly could be reflashed somehow with the Taiwanese radios and firmware and become an international model in all but name, also losing the unique Japanese features at the same time.. But then no point there lol.
    I don't know much about this because I use it on AU and don't want to spend my time hacking into my main device. However I've heard that the previous HTC model sold on AU, the HTC J Butterfly, could be turned into the international model by flashing the international ROM + radio img + can't remember what else onto it. This would effectively disable the Japan features of the J Butterfly, but turn it into an HSPA/GSM model.

Not sure if the same is possible with the J One, and not sure that the SD card capability would remain once the international ROM was flashed onto it...

Can't offer anything more, as I haven't tried it and haven't researched it.
    Hey, thanks for the info. No issue at all :) I will see what can be done about this.
    i think The Black Thingi behind the device is for open the back cover......

No It has the latch on the side just like the chinese version to open the back. You can see it in one of the pictures.
    I think that is repositioned IRDA emitter. Instead of power key they are using that small window as you can see small protrusion in the picture in which back cover is removed.
    Curiously, the HTC J One sports a small window below the camera lens. No idea what it does.

It's the TV antenna.

http://www.au.kddi.com/mobile/product/smartphone/htl22/

No, it's definitely not the TV antenna (considering usually the Japanese mobiles have an actual antenna you can pull out, meanwhile the J One needs oneseg-compatible earphones to function properly ie it uses earphones as an antenna).

The little window is most definitely the sekigaisen aka infrared port, as it's exactly the same as every other Japanese mobile I've ever owned lol.

Other differences between the One and the J One (I own both) :

- LED has multiple color support

- LED notifications will work while the phone is charging

- power button is a little bit less flush, a little bit more "clickety" than the international One

- 1mm thicker, so cases are not compatible

- no HTC TV app ie no remote control or TV guide - but then I do get the oneseg TV instead..

- screen is a little bit different - seems dimmer at full brightness, brighter at low brightness, and putting both Ones side by side, the J One's whites are slightly yellow while the One's whites are slightly blue (in comparison to each other)

- seems a tad bit heavier, probably due to the extra hardware (internals + removable back cover)

- no creaks or anything, due to the metal back cover + design of the back cover

- horribly behind in version, still at 1.07.970.4; I blame AU for this one, typical CDMA carrier being slow to update PLUS typical Japanese carrier being slow to update = being very slow to update

- camera always makes sound, even when phone is on silent/vibrate mode (Japan restriction/law I suppose)

- when connected by USB, I get a choice of MTP mode or PC mode which mounts the SD card as USB Mass Storage on my Mac (but only the SD card)

Otherwise it's as snappy as I'd expect, battery life is actually pretty good (can easily get 4 hours screen-on time in 12 hours, that'S with LTE and autosync and battery saver mode on, VS my intl One where I'd also get 4 hours screen on time with the same settings, in a 17 hour timeframe; compared to previous phones I've had, this isn't bad at all, hopefully it'll improve with time/updates/battery calibration/tweaks).

if anyone else has any questions, I'll be happy to answer!

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 PM ----------

I suggest you don't, because:

1 - it won't be unlocked, AU will NOT unlock it for you (only Docomo unlocks their phones, after the government strongly suggested carriers do it but never enforced the "law")

2 - it's primarily a CDMA+LTE phone, with GSM/HSPA for roaming, so different radios, different software, etc... and AFAIK Europe has no CDMA ;)

Now _apparently_ the J Butterfly could be reflashed somehow with the Taiwanese radios and firmware and become an international model in all but name, also losing the unique Japanese features at the same time.. But then no point there lol.

Thanks for the awesome mini review! :) Are you certain the back is metal? When I first saw it I noticed a slight indent running down the middle of the back plate that is common in plastic castings, and I've read elsewhere that it may be plastic. What do you think?

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app