[GUIDE][TUTORIAL]How-TO - Flash Kernel, TWRP and Stock Recovery (JB and KK)

Search This thread

jimbo77

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 2, 2010
Guatemala
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I've seen many of you guys who probably are new to Android and the adb/fastboot world so I decied to create a simple understandable guide to flash custom recoveries or kernels through such tools...

First off we'll start with the basics...

Code:
[B][COLOR="Red"]I'm not responsible if anything goes wrong. 
If your phone turns into a beautiful and useless brick. 
The procedures described below have been tested by me since several years ago and never had an issue, 
never the less remeber 
YOU ARE DOING THIS BY YOURSELF AND TO YOUR PHONE, NOT ME.[/COLOR][/B]

You need the Following:

1. Huawei Ascend P6
  2. Your phone needs to be on either KitKat Beta, B118CN or B120CN
  3. Drivers for the Phone Installed
  4. Huawei PC Suite installed (This is only to have the Fastboot driver that comes along with it)
  5. abd&fastboot.zip (attached to this post)
  6. USB Debuggin Option enabled in "Developer Options"
  7. Gutts to play along with your phone internals...

Utilizing both ADB and Fastboot to flash​
Assuming your phone boots just fine and it is being recognized by the computer go to the place where you have decompressed the adb&fastboot.zip file.

Pressing both "Shift Key" + Right click should bring a menu like this:

bhEN6SQQ

Click on "Open command window here"

You should see a CMD window pop up in front of you, now the fun will begin:

1.- Connect your phone to the PC and then type in the Command Window:

Code:
adb devices

2.- You should see an output stating your device as online.

xfDa6R9F

3.- Type:

Code:
adb reboot bootloader

4.- Your Phone now should be "stuck" on Huawei Ascend Logo, don't panic we are in fastboot mode now.

5.- Here we can erase or flash anything we want to the phone you be extremely careful with what you are doing.... To flash kernel and recovery we can do as follows:

Code:
Flashing a Kernel:

fastboot flash boot boot.img

Code:
Flashing TWRP Recovery:

fastboot flash recovery recovery-twrp.img

Code:
Flashing Stock Recovery:

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Once it finish you'll see an output like the following

IczHnKjc

Now just do:

Code:
fastboot reboot

Your phone will boot into system, to go to recovery while having the phone connected to the Computer do:

Code:
adb reboot recovery

KEY NOTES​

1. For all of this to work your Phone needs to be on either latest KitKat Beta, B118 or B120 CN firmwares. International firmwares do not support flashing custom kernels or recoveries.
  2. If you are flashing a Kernel make sure the kernel is named as "boot.img"
  3. If you are flashing TWRP recovery name it as "recovery-twrp.img"
  4. If you are flashing stock recovery name it as "recovery.img"
  5. Any file you are flashing (either kernel or recovery) must be placed inside the folder abd&fastboot

I'll create another Post or Thread with information and usage of each TWRP item....

More to come...

skyp6user

Dec 24, 2013
thanks for this! Its easy to follow and understand especially for someone like me who's new to android

jimbo77

Nov 2, 2010
Guatemala
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Reactions: Superwitschi

benna

Jun 5, 2012
Super cool!!

Waaaaaaaaaat! Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much !!:good::good::fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed::victory::victory::victory::victory::laugh::laugh::highfive::highfive::highfive::silly::good::good:
I used this verry cool guide and it worked. i went from zero to hero. you are my hero

javak810i

Sep 10, 2011
Prague
www.sgalaxy.cz
Hi,
I also successfully managed to get the Lightningkat ROM working. But I have a small problem. Whenever I shut down or reboot the phone, it automaticaly boots into the TWRP. Can this be disabled?

Also one question for those who have Lightningkat RC01 - my Anutut score is only 11k, Am I doing something wrong (with B125 I got something like 15k). I also noticed there is no power manager in this rom.

lauwie007

Jan 22, 2014
Hi,
I also successfully managed to get the Lightningkat ROM working. But I have a small problem. Whenever I shut down or reboot the phone, it automaticaly boots into the TWRP. Can this be disabled?

Also one question for those who have Lightningkat RC01 - my Anutut score is only 11k, Am I doing something wrong (with B125 I got something like 15k). I also noticed there is no power manager in this rom.

I had the same problem. Always booted in TWRP, but it solved itself after 4/5 reboots. I have no idea what I did to solve it :/

I got 13k, but remember antutu does not say a lot. A high antutu score means you can play better games. It gives a indication. The only game I have on my phone is flappy bird :eek: and it did run better on android 4.2 but on kitkat i have much more ram available and I think the ui runs a lot smoother.

-edit-
also. try to delete some root apps. most of the tweaks run in the background and lower your antutu score. Same goes for normal apps.

Last edited:

javak810i

Sep 10, 2011
Prague
www.sgalaxy.cz
Yeah I know the benchmark doesn't say alot, but on B125 I was constatly getting 14-15k and with LightningKat the score should be higher, not lower. At least in the screenshots there is something like 17,5k points in Antutu. The battery life and fluentness of the UI seem to be also better on B125.

I'm moving back to B125 and wait for an official Kitkat release.

bettanoom

Aug 21, 2013
Hi

Hi my friend.
how can I remove twrp recovery from my P6?because when I want to reset my phone from Backup and reset it goes to recovery mode and doesn't reset at all.
Beside that I want to instal B125 but then again it goes to recovery mode.How do I have to remove the recovery mode :(?

jimbo77

Nov 2, 2010
Guatemala
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Hi my friend.
how can I remove twrp recovery from my P6?because when I want to reset my phone from Backup and reset it goes to recovery mode and doesn't reset at all.
Beside that I want to instal B125 but then again it goes to recovery mode.How do I have to remove the recovery mode :(?

Download stock recovery and flash it using this very same guide.

Sent from my HUAWEI P6-U06 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've seen many of you guys who probably are new to Android and the adb/fastboot world so I decied to create a simple understandable guide to flash custom recoveries or kernels through such tools...

First off we'll start with the basics...

Code:
    [B][COLOR="Red"]I'm not responsible if anything goes wrong. 
    If your phone turns into a beautiful and useless brick. 
    The procedures described below have been tested by me since several years ago and never had an issue, 
    never the less remeber 
    YOU ARE DOING THIS BY YOURSELF AND TO YOUR PHONE, NOT ME.[/COLOR][/B]

You need the Following:

1. Huawei Ascend P6
    2. Your phone needs to be on either KitKat Beta, B118CN or B120CN
    3. Drivers for the Phone Installed
    4. Huawei PC Suite installed (This is only to have the Fastboot driver that comes along with it)
    5. abd&fastboot.zip (attached to this post)
    6. USB Debuggin Option enabled in "Developer Options"
    7. Gutts to play along with your phone internals...

Utilizing both ADB and Fastboot to flash​
    Assuming your phone boots just fine and it is being recognized by the computer go to the place where you have decompressed the adb&fastboot.zip file.

Pressing both "Shift Key" + Right click should bring a menu like this:

bhEN6SQQ

Click on "Open command window here"

You should see a CMD window pop up in front of you, now the fun will begin:

1.- Connect your phone to the PC and then type in the Command Window:

Code:
    adb devices

2.- You should see an output stating your device as online.

xfDa6R9F

3.- Type:

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

4.- Your Phone now should be "stuck" on Huawei Ascend Logo, don't panic we are in fastboot mode now.

5.- Here we can erase or flash anything we want to the phone you be extremely careful with what you are doing.... To flash kernel and recovery we can do as follows:

Code:
    Flashing a Kernel:

fastboot flash boot boot.img

Code:
    Flashing TWRP Recovery:

fastboot flash recovery recovery-twrp.img

Code:
    Flashing Stock Recovery:

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Once it finish you'll see an output like the following

IczHnKjc

Now just do:

Code:
    fastboot reboot

Your phone will boot into system, to go to recovery while having the phone connected to the Computer do:

Code:
    adb reboot recovery

KEY NOTES​

1. For all of this to work your Phone needs to be on either latest KitKat Beta, B118 or B120 CN firmwares. International firmwares do not support flashing custom kernels or recoveries.
    2. If you are flashing a Kernel make sure the kernel is named as "boot.img"
    3. If you are flashing TWRP recovery name it as "recovery-twrp.img"
    4. If you are flashing stock recovery name it as "recovery.img"
    5. Any file you are flashing (either kernel or recovery) must be placed inside the folder abd&fastboot

I'll create another Post or Thread with information and usage of each TWRP item....

More to come...
    Last one for further updates...
    Thread Stuck

Nice guide!!
    Added to the Index thread. Really well done mate.