[APP] edenBeats Binaural Beat Generator v1.3.0 [10/06]

Search This thread

bennettm89

Aug 10, 2010
Hey, cicada, it might be worth your time trying to contact the developer of "White Noise", TMSOFT, and working with him/her to introduce their white noise to your application. They have timers and can run in background so you can run your tracks with the white noise on top... well, more pleasant white noise (thunder, rain, crickets... etc...)

Just a suggestion.

Nihalf

Jun 11, 2009
Google Pixel 6
just downloaded. listening to 251.21/5.125, 251.21/40.0 and 22.0/40.0 right now. feels like my eyeballs are vibrating!! not at all sleepy now, so works as intended. Cicada, thanks for this!

Noticed that when I have edenbeats running, with 5 tracks displayed but only 3 playing, when I get a phone call, the two 'off' tracks automatically come on? is that a bug?

cicada

Nov 7, 2009
Denver, CO
Noticed that when I have edenbeats running, with 5 tracks displayed but only 3 playing, when I get a phone call, the two 'off' tracks automatically come on? is that a bug?

Whoops, yes that's likely a bug. The service listens for the phone state and is supposed to pause playback on all tracks if the state changes (making a call, receiving a call, etc)..

I'll make sure a fix makes it into the next version, that's not a fun bug to have.

[edit] It looks like I was naively calling 'play all' when the phone state returned to idle, instead of only playing the tracks that were already playing, thanks for finding this :)

Last edited:

cicada

Nov 7, 2009
Denver, CO
shameless bump.

version 1.2.0 is up on the market. I've added white/pink/brown noise generators, improved resource usage and cleaned up the interface a little, as well as several bugfixes.

The next version will include the ability to save / restore playlists to external storage, to be shared, modified, what have you.

Thanks for the support everyone :)

dmulligan

Oct 17, 2008
I would love to see a bunch of default playlists for different effects to help the beginner get into binaural beats. Perhaps a set of defaults like the range of idose beats.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

cicada

Nov 7, 2009
Denver, CO
I would love to see a bunch of default playlists for different effects to help the beginner get into binaural beats.

Working on this for the next release, which will also include save/restore so you can share your playlists.

I love this app, it rocks. Only thing it's missing (for my needs anyways) is a built-in timmer.

I've gotten this suggestion a few times now, and I'd definitely like to implement it as soon as I figure out a best-method to integrate it. Might not make it into the next revision but I do plan it for a future release.

Thanks for the feedback :)

vox777

Sep 8, 2010
introduction for beginners

Hi everyone

I downloaded the app yesterday and really like it. Yet I lack the basic knowledge on binaural beats.

As I understand it the beat level has an effect on alpha, beta, gamma wave level. But what is the base frequency for?
What is the difference between base and beat frequencies?
What is white, pink, brown noise for?

Can you tell me where I can find good resources on the internet?

I know that this in not development feedback yet but once I tested the app I definitely will give you feedback. The only feedback at the moment is to explain the differences between beat and base level and what noise is for beginners (in the app). I guess a lot of people who download the app will not use it because they don't know how to use it.

Thanks!

vox

IOInterrupt

Jun 24, 2010
Dallas, TX
Looking for some information on purpose of the base frequency and the beat frequency as well. Can anyone explain it to us binaural beat newbies?

I completely guessed, but I figure the resulting wave level is produced by the difference in the base frequency. Example 200hz and 210hz would result in 10hz (mid alpha).

What affect do the beats have? Why use different speeds on the beats?

Also, why does it combine the sounds into each side of the stereo. Shouldn't the first beat you create only play in the left ear and the second beat should only play in the right ear?

Last edited:

_Schizm_

Jul 27, 2010
edenBeats [Updated 8/24 to v1.1.4]
v1.1.1 - added a white noise generator.
v1.1.2 - accidentally deleted everything.
v1.1.3 - amazingly, recovered everything
v1.1.4 - added volume controls!
v1.1.5 - added auto pause/resume during calls
v1.2.0 - interface cleanup, added white/pink/brown noise options

By far THE most honest developer. Ever.

cicada

Nov 7, 2009
Denver, CO
Looking for some information on purpose of the base frequency and the beat frequency as well. Can anyone explain it to us binaural beat newbies?

In short, base frequency is the tone you hear, and beat frequency is how much that frequency is offset in each ear.

For example, a base freq of 261.63Hz is 'middle C'.

At beat frequency 0hz, 261.63Hz is played in each ear.

At a beat frequency of 10Hz, the base frequency is offset +/- 5Hz in each direction, so left ear gets 259.63Hz, right ear gets 266.63Hz, and the result you hear is a 10 Hz 'beating' as your brain tries to reproduce the interference pattern.

What affect do the beats have? Why use different speeds on the beats?

The beats setup a frequency in the same range as brain-wave frequencies - the goal is to 'entrain' your brain waves to a desired major frequency by listening to the binaural beat track. It is believed your brain waves are malleable, and trend toward matching a dominant external frequency, in the case the beat frequency.

Also, why does it combine the sounds into each side of the stereo. Shouldn't the first beat you create only play in the left ear and the second beat should only play in the right ear?

If you're hearing a beat in just one ear, your headphones are not separating the stereo signal properly. Each binaural beat track should be producing a unique tone in each ear, and the offset of those two tones is what produces the beat effect.

Try setting up a track with whatever base frequency you want and can hear clearly. Set the beat frequency to 20Hz or more. If you listen in just one ear, you should not hear any beat, and the tone coming from the left speaker will be noticeably lower in pitch than the right.

Listen in both ears and you'll hear the beat frequency you set as a fast pulse in the tone. The really neat part being, the beat only exists in your head.

cicada

Nov 7, 2009
Denver, CO
By far THE most honest developer. Ever.

Heh, I do what I can. I won't get into the details of why you shouldn't try to use SVN when you've just gotten home from a party ;)

BTW, new version coming out in the next few days. Lots of improvements like saving/restoring playlists, bugfixes and other code cleanup.

cicada

Nov 7, 2009
Denver, CO
new version released!

Unfortunately timers / alarms didn't make it into this version, but it's next on the chopping block.

What did make it in is the ability to save and restore playlists, as well as a few different Presets you can try out. Don't expect magic or anything, I basically just threw them together ;)

Also added +/- buttons to the frequency sliders to give you more precise control.

I wish I could work on this stuff full time to get you new versions quicker!

IOInterrupt

Jun 24, 2010
Dallas, TX
Try setting up a track with whatever base frequency you want and can hear clearly. Set the beat frequency to 20Hz or more. If you listen in just one ear, you should not hear any beat, and the tone coming from the left speaker will be noticeably lower in pitch than the right.

Listen in both ears and you'll hear the beat frequency you set as a fast pulse in the tone. The really neat part being, the beat only exists in your head.

Ok, I think the problem I was making, was that I was setting up two different tracks, and so I was getting a beat affect even with a single pod in. With just one track, they are both solid tones, and one does seem higher toned than the other, but the beat isn't noticeable at all to me unless it's down to around 4hz on the beat freq (must be me!).

So what is the advantage of playing two of the same beat frequency at two different base frequencies? I am real curious!

chinds2

Oct 2, 2010
Orlando, FL
cicada, just wanted to say thank you for your work. I used to use an iPhone app called attractor and I've been dying for an app like this on android.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sorry that timers didn't make the cut this round guys, I think I've figured out a good way to implement it, and it's certainly my next milestone in the project!

-----

edenBeats is a realtime, multi-track binaural beat generator.

Available on the android market, QR and link below!

This is my first android application, so please don't hesitate to tell me flat out 'yer doin' it wrong!' or give suggestions on how I can improve the app or app flow.

I thought this would be a neat first-go at android development, something light and fun but a little challenging, and I've learned quite a bit over the last couple of weeks developing it.

Binaural beats are a phenomenon created when two slightly different frequency tones are supplied to each ear. Your brain simulates the interference patterns you would normally hear if the tones mixed in the air ( think tuning a musical instrument, this is a monaural beat ), creating a virtual interference pattern.

Binaural beats are said to stimulate hemisphere-synchronization as the two lobes of your brain work together to mix the sounds, entraining your brain waves to match the interference (beat) pattern frequency. The effects are said to be drug-like, I tend to find a pleasing, low-frequency beat to be a great meditation aid. Try mixing several tracks with different frequencies, or many tracks at the same frequency to accentuate the beat pattern.

Again, this app is meant to be used with stereo headphones.

[Updated 10/06 to v1.3.0]
    v1.1.1 - added a white noise generator.
    v1.1.2 - accidentally deleted everything.
    v1.1.3 - amazingly, recovered everything.
    v1.1.4 - added volume controls!
    v1.1.5 - added auto pause/resume during calls
    v1.2.0 - interface cleanup, added white/pink/brown noise options
    v1.3.0 - save & load*! presets! new help docs, several bug fixes and new frequency controls

* - saved playlists are stored in /sdcard/com.edencomputing.edenBeats

Download edenBeats:

chart

market://search?q=pname:com.edencomputing.edenBeats

Most recent .apk attached below.

More info about binaural beats:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_beats

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainwave_synchronization