[GUIDE][DIY] Charge-while-syncing cable ("Benchmark" added)

Search This thread

Goatshocker

Oct 23, 2010
This guide is based on [GUIDE] The $6 way to charging your EEE Pad on your computer, taken one step further.

DISCLAIMER! YOU DO THIS ON YOUR OWN RISK! IF YOU SCREW SOMETHING UP ITS NOT MY FAULT! :D

This guide will show you how you can charge your TF101 from the PC, while also have it connected through USB allowing you to sync etc just as you normally would.
Its possible this method also works on the TF201, but I dont know for sure.

Difficulty: Pisseasy :p
Parts and tools needed:
A female molex connector with the yellow(+12v) and black(ground) wire. Where you get it from doesnt matter. I stole mine from an old pci-e -> molex adapter.
Headphone extension cord (or any other 2-wire cable you can use as a connector)
USB extension cord (2.0 works fine, no need to get a 3.0)
Tape (or if youre not as lazy as me - a soldering iron)
Teeth (or a wire-stripper/cutter)
Carpet knife or similar
Multimeter, not necessary but recommended to check if the power is correct before hooking it up to your tablet.

Ok, lets get started!
Id like to apologize for the rather vague images. I took them after I had actually built the cable.

Grab the male end of the headphone extension cord and cut it, leaving a bit of cable (I left around 20cm)
r10uc1.jpg

Next, grab the USB Extension cord.
I wish I had a better picture for this, but its not that tricky. What you want to do is remove the cover around the shielding, remove the shielding and exposing the 4 wires.
Once thats done, cut the red and black wires, leave the green and white.
Strip the red and black wires going towards the female end of the extension cord.
Connect the white and red wire from the male audio extension cord to the red and black wire on the usb extension cord. I suggest you attach red to red, white to black. It doesnt matter much though, but do remember how you connect them.
If done correctly you should end up with something similar as the picture.
15s0d5j.jpg

Grab your favorite roll of tape and secure the wires and you should end up with this
2lt4iu1.jpg

Gratz, the first part is complete! Now to steal some power from the PC.

Grab the remaining part of the audio extension cord, which should contain the female connection.
vg7qya.jpg

Grab your molex connector (In the picture, I have already stolen one of the molex connectors)
2wd4v8m.jpg

Now, strip the yellow and black wire on the molex connector, and strip the red and white cable on the female audio cord.
Connect them the same way you did with the usb cable (if you followed my example, yellow goes to red, black goes to white).
1llrl.jpg

Excuse my extremely dusty PC... Im ashamed :x

this might be a good part to route the molex-female audio cable inside the PC so it reaches outside.

Once thats done, simply hook the molex connector up to a free connector in your PC
2w250gk.jpg

And finally, grab your usb-male audio cable, connect the male audio with the female audio and plug the usb end into a free usb port.
20j5jbb.jpg

Finally! Hook up your original TF101 usb cable to the female end of the USB cord and enjoy being able to charge your tablet while transfering files!

WARNING! Do NOT connect anything but the TF to this cable. 12v will fry any normal USB device.

Troubleshooting:
If your tablet does not react when you connect it, you have most likely gotten the polarities wrong. Simply switch the place of either red/black on the usb cable, or yellow/black on the molex connector (this is where a multimeter is handy).

There are many ways of doing this, I chose to do it like this because I had an audio extension cord lying around, and I wanted to be able to detach the cable from the PC.
Basically all you have to do is cut the red and black wire from the usb cable, and hook them up to the 12v rail on your PC instead of the 5v rail USB is running on.

How you chose to do this is, in the end, up to you.

Additionally, if you replace the audio jacks with some other more standard DC plug, you could use this cable to charge your TF using any DC adapter that provides 12-15V.

Once I get a USB Extension Kit for my TF, Im going to try to add a charging port to that as well. If I succeed in that, Ill post another guide covering that.

If you found this guide useful, hit 'thanks' ;)

Last edited:

Goatshocker

Oct 23, 2010
Heres a "benchmark", or whatever you want to call it, showing roughly how fast the tablet charges.

Note that the screen was turned on all the time, and I used it occasionally.

It does indeed charge slower than the real wall-charger, but thats not strange considering theres a 3V difference.
The wall charger charges an equal amount in roughly 1:30h, during the same usage.

Edit: I forgot to mention, if you use this method you can extend the charging cable easily by just hooking up an addition audio extension cable :)
Do beware of voltage drops though, the cables aint exactly thick. My cable is around 4m total, and I get a voltage drop of ~0.5v from the molex to the female usb plug.

Attachments

• startpoint.jpg
    startpoint.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 225
  • endpoint.jpg
    endpoint.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:

Thing O Doom

Mar 10, 2012
Phoenix
I tried this and got to the extention cable section, I totally butchered my usb extension cable and gave up since I don't have another. Great guide though! I just can't cut and splice without completly failing and breaking things -_-

Goatshocker

Oct 23, 2010
I tried this and got to the extention cable section, I totally butchered my usb extension cable and gave up since I don't have another. Great guide though! I just can't cut and splice without completly failing and breaking things -_-

Thats where
Parts and tools needed:

comes in ;D

Dont know how you managed to butcher the cable though :), you just need to strip 2 wires (or 4, if you decide its easier to cut the white and green too), and wire them together.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide is based on [GUIDE] The $6 way to charging your EEE Pad on your computer, taken one step further.

DISCLAIMER! YOU DO THIS ON YOUR OWN RISK! IF YOU SCREW SOMETHING UP ITS NOT MY FAULT! :D

This guide will show you how you can charge your TF101 from the PC, while also have it connected through USB allowing you to sync etc just as you normally would.
    Its possible this method also works on the TF201, but I dont know for sure.

Difficulty: Pisseasy :p
    Parts and tools needed:
    A female molex connector with the yellow(+12v) and black(ground) wire. Where you get it from doesnt matter. I stole mine from an old pci-e -> molex adapter.
    Headphone extension cord (or any other 2-wire cable you can use as a connector)
    USB extension cord (2.0 works fine, no need to get a 3.0)
    Tape (or if youre not as lazy as me - a soldering iron)
    Carpet knife or similar
    Multimeter, not necessary but recommended to check if the power is correct before hooking it up to your tablet.

Ok, lets get started!
    Id like to apologize for the rather vague images. I took them after I had actually built the cable.

Grab the male end of the headphone extension cord and cut it, leaving a bit of cable (I left around 20cm)
    r10uc1.jpg

Next, grab the USB Extension cord.
    I wish I had a better picture for this, but its not that tricky. What you want to do is remove the cover around the shielding, remove the shielding and exposing the 4 wires.
    Once thats done, cut the red and black wires, leave the green and white.
    Strip the red and black wires going towards the female end of the extension cord.
    Connect the white and red wire from the male audio extension cord to the red and black wire on the usb extension cord. I suggest you attach red to red, white to black. It doesnt matter much though, but do remember how you connect them.
    If done correctly you should end up with something similar as the picture.
    15s0d5j.jpg

Grab your favorite roll of tape and secure the wires and you should end up with this
    2lt4iu1.jpg

Gratz, the first part is complete! Now to steal some power from the PC.

Grab the remaining part of the audio extension cord, which should contain the female connection.
    vg7qya.jpg

Grab your molex connector (In the picture, I have already stolen one of the molex connectors)
    2wd4v8m.jpg

Now, strip the yellow and black wire on the molex connector, and strip the red and white cable on the female audio cord.
    Connect them the same way you did with the usb cable (if you followed my example, yellow goes to red, black goes to white).
    1llrl.jpg

Excuse my extremely dusty PC... Im ashamed :x

this might be a good part to route the molex-female audio cable inside the PC so it reaches outside.

Once thats done, simply hook the molex connector up to a free connector in your PC
    2w250gk.jpg

And finally, grab your usb-male audio cable, connect the male audio with the female audio and plug the usb end into a free usb port.
    20j5jbb.jpg

Finally! Hook up your original TF101 usb cable to the female end of the USB cord and enjoy being able to charge your tablet while transfering files!

WARNING! Do NOT connect anything but the TF to this cable. 12v will fry any normal USB device.

Troubleshooting:
    If your tablet does not react when you connect it, you have most likely gotten the polarities wrong. Simply switch the place of either red/black on the usb cable, or yellow/black on the molex connector (this is where a multimeter is handy).

There are many ways of doing this, I chose to do it like this because I had an audio extension cord lying around, and I wanted to be able to detach the cable from the PC.
    Basically all you have to do is cut the red and black wire from the usb cable, and hook them up to the 12v rail on your PC instead of the 5v rail USB is running on.

How you chose to do this is, in the end, up to you.

Additionally, if you replace the audio jacks with some other more standard DC plug, you could use this cable to charge your TF using any DC adapter that provides 12-15V.

Once I get a USB Extension Kit for my TF, Im going to try to add a charging port to that as well. If I succeed in that, Ill post another guide covering that.

If you found this guide useful, hit 'thanks' ;)