Ubuntu Developer Preview DNA Compatibility

Search This thread

th3raid0r

Feb 12, 2011
Portland, OR
We need to get a working CM build before we can do that. Currently, the N4 and GN builds are using a CM kernel as a base for the Ubuntu Dev preview. Theoretically, we can build something that boots (since we do have a booting CM build) it would lack a ton of things though such as voice and data.

If someone knows a bit more info, feel free to correct me.

idkwhothatis123

Oct 16, 2010
The developer preview is limited in these functionalities anyway as far as I'm aware

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

It has no cdma or LTE compatibility as of now. Gsm only. There is an extensive list of known issues. Its pretty sweet though. Got it on my nexus 7.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk HD

renzo.olivares

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 6, 2011
to my knowledge the preview doesn't even have mobile data functionality for gsm for now its only wifi, text and calls

Serinety

Account currently disabled
Aug 29, 2010
GB
meettomy.site
After watching several videos on Ubuntu, I'm both excited to try it, and little confused. In almost all videos, it looks almost exactly like Android. The task bar looks the same, it pulls down the same way, the icons look basically the same.

Don't get me wrong, I love having options, but it doesn't seem to be very unique.

Any thoughts on this?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

neatojones

Dec 28, 2010
Springfield, IL
After watching several videos on Ubuntu, I'm both excited to try it, and little confused. In almost all videos, it looks almost exactly like Android. The task bar looks the same, it pulls down the same way, the icons look basically the same.

Don't get me wrong, I love having options, but it doesn't seem to be very unique.

Any thoughts on this?

There are several differences. First of all, the thing you will most readily notice is that there are not button/hardware or otherwise for the ubuntu phone OS, it uses gestures similar to the blackberry 10 OS. In some instances this is better at other times, it is nice to have a button. In the long term, your benefit will be the ability to have a larger screen on a smaller device since you won't have to have a longer device to accomadate the buttons.

From a more technical standpoint, using pure linux removes some of the more contentious parts of android like the use of Java. Some of which may provide a faster user experience on the same hardware if Ubuntu can manage to ditch xorg. You could also, argue that the app availability and scalability of ubuntu is greater than android. In other words, soon you'll be able to walk around with a linux device that you can plug into a monitor and blu-tooth keyboard and have a full fledge desktop all from the same hardware -- Carry one device - access it anywhere and in whatever capacity you need it at that time.

cruckus

Sep 12, 2010
Put it on my galaxy nexus it's not really all that it is fun to play with but I had problems with calls. DNA is much better but stock android will make this the best device all day. If only it had the front stereo speakers powered by beats this phone would never need to be upgraded

UrGuardian999

Jan 7, 2013
It has no cdma or LTE compatibility as of now. Gsm only. There is an extensive list of known issues. Its pretty sweet though. Got it on my nexus 7.

And how do you feel about it so far? Been thinking about doing the same thing with my N7..... but not having the ability to use my already purchased apps and what not is deterring me at the moment.

idkwhothatis123

Oct 16, 2010
And how do you feel about it so far? Been thinking about doing the same thing with my N7..... but not having the ability to use my already purchased apps and what not is deterring me at the moment.

I love the look of ubuntu as an OS, and this kind if follows suit. It is buggy as hell though. I no longer am using it. Its fun to tinker with but that's about it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Any thoughts on this?

There are several differences. First of all, the thing you will most readily notice is that there are not button/hardware or otherwise for the ubuntu phone OS, it uses gestures similar to the blackberry 10 OS. In some instances this is better at other times, it is nice to have a button. In the long term, your benefit will be the ability to have a larger screen on a smaller device since you won't have to have a longer device to accomadate the buttons.

From a more technical standpoint, using pure linux removes some of the more contentious parts of android like the use of Java. Some of which may provide a faster user experience on the same hardware if Ubuntu can manage to ditch xorg. You could also, argue that the app availability and scalability of ubuntu is greater than android. In other words, soon you'll be able to walk around with a linux device that you can plug into a monitor and blu-tooth keyboard and have a full fledge desktop all from the same hardware -- Carry one device - access it anywhere and in whatever capacity you need it at that time.
    The developer preview is limited in these functionalities anyway as far as I'm aware

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app