LgG2 Image persistence (retention, burn - in)

Search This thread

elitewhey

Jan 25, 2014
hello everyone (sorry about my bad english)

I bought Lg g2 d 802 (international), everything stock..not even rooted and the first unusual stuff I saw was "Content Adaptive Brightness"
but i get used to it now. The other thing i wanted to ask here is image persistence of isp screen.
I saw some tablets with ips screen suffering from this...also some samsung lcd Tv-s from 2008-9, and i found
it in my phone...when i surf internet, facebook for a couple of minutes (lets say 5+ minutes) and after that i enter
picture from my gallery that contanins medium gray color in bottom od full screen view i can see shadows from
dock sensor buttons (back, home & settings). shadows are temporary and disapear after few minutes, but as the main
buttons are always on you can see them in full screen of medium dark grey picture every time after usage of phone.
I love this phone, camera, battery, & other fast hw are simply amazing for multitask, and usage, but wanted to see if i'm
alone experiencing this with g2 or not?

all best

GlitchedSoul

Dec 8, 2012

I bought Lg g2 d 802 (international), everything stock..not even rooted and the first unusual stuff I saw was "Content Adaptive Brightness"
but i get used to it now. The other thing i wanted to ask here is image persistence of isp screen.
I saw some tablets with ips screen suffering from this...also some samsung lcd Tv-s from 2008-9, and i found
it in my phone...when i surf internet, facebook for a couple of minutes (lets say 5+ minutes) and after that i enter
picture from my gallery that contanins medium gray color in bottom od full screen view i can see shadows from
dock sensor buttons (back, home & settings). shadows are temporary and disapear after few minutes, but as the main
buttons are always on you can see them in full screen of medium dark grey picture every time after usage of phone.
I love this phone, camera, battery, & other fast hw are simply amazing for multitask, and usage, but wanted to see if i'm

all best

Does it fade out slowly when it disappears or does it just instantly go away after a while.

Sent from my magic box.

elitewhey

Jan 25, 2014
I know that OLED and old plasma screens are prone to burn in
And i have 4:3 samsung 710n tft monitor for 10 yeras without
Problems, but my question is about lazy pixels of IPS screen.
Can someone test g2 the way i described in my first post (10 minutes
screen sensor bar on, then enter gray picture in full screen)?
I'll put example when a reach desktop later.
Cheers

cruzargel

Apr 22, 2011
Wtf I just noticed my screen! I have image retention on navbar and status bar. It does not go away!

Qix84

Aug 10, 2011

all best

I have this phone about 15 days, and i have the same problem. Can you resolve this ?

MidnightHarvester

Apr 16, 2010
In the VAST
LCD displays are totally IMMUNE to burn in the same way AMOLED and CRT displays are completely vulnerable to it. This type of burn in us caused by phosphor wear over time. It just won't EVER happen on our G2s or any LCD display.

What you're referring to us called image retention and is a completely different. beast all together. If you notice thus occurring on your phone or TV, etc, then turn the display off for 24-48 hours and any retained images should be gone.

It's rather difficult to get a LCD display to do this unless you try (or game all day straight and the game has static elements in it) but none the less it happens. It's not a "G2" thing.

Very very rarely I hear stories where a LCD display has decided to permanently remember images and even keeping the display off didn't solve anything. I've never had a first hand account of this though so those people either probably mistook a fauly display for image retention, or it's an extremely rare occurance.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Qix84

Aug 10, 2011
Plenty of sources. Google "image retention vs burn in LCD AMOLED) and you should get plenty of sources but here's one.

http://www.rtings.com/info/what-is-image-retention

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

Here's a much more detailed article...

http://www.tweakguides.com/HDTV_8.html

But its normal ??? I can only see if i search for them, idk if go to the warranty or keep it.

MidnightHarvester

Apr 16, 2010
In the VAST
Yes it's normal. If the image doesn't fade out over time though it's not normal. Our screens are LCDs and this is common for all LCD displays, TVs included.

Plasma and OLED displays have it worse because the phosphor wear on these can be permemant. I used to play a certain game hours and hours each day on my old Galaxy Nexus which had an AMOLED display and I eventually had the menus permanently burned into the display.

Since our G2s use a LCD display though any image persistence we may encounter should fade away once the screen is off for a while. If it doesn't then no that's not normal. Most image retention issues should fade away in a few minutes, but rarely it may last up to a few hours to a few days.

Unless you keep your display on a static image though hours and hours on end, this shouldn't be an issue. If any retention doesn't fade away after having the display off for a while or if it commonly happens without having to try to make it happen then you might consider a warranty replacement.

There's a ton of information regarding this if you search on "screen burn in image retention oled lcd plasma" in Google.

Qix84

Aug 10, 2011
Yes it's normal. If the image doesn't fade out over time though it's not normal. Our screens are LCDs and this is common for all LCD displays, TVs included.

Plasma and OLED displays have it worse because the phosphor wear on these can be permemant. I used to play a certain game hours and hours each day on my old Galaxy Nexus which had an AMOLED display and I eventually had the menus permanently burned into the display.

Since our G2s use a LCD display though any image persistence we may encounter should fade away once the screen is off for a while. If it doesn't then no that's not normal. Most image retention issues should fade away in a few minutes, but rarely it may last up to a few hours to a few days.

Unless you keep your display on a static image though hours and hours on end, this shouldn't be an issue. If any retention doesn't fade away after having the display off for a while or if it commonly happens without having to try to make it happen then you might consider a warranty replacement.

There's a ton of information regarding this if you search on "screen burn in image retention oled lcd plasma" in Google.

Thank you very much, yep mine´s fade away after 30 seconds.

You have image retention in your G2 ???

MidnightHarvester

Apr 16, 2010
In the VAST
Np ? All G2s,...all LCD devices. LCD tech kind of plateaud so manufacturer starting developing AMOLED displays. LG seems to have made great improvements though with their LCDs and I'm glad they chose this route as I prefer LCD to AMOLED any day.

AMOLEDs may evolve to the point where burn in isn't an issue, much like how LCD displays when first introduced suffered from ghosting that was so bad it wasn't even am option for anyone who games. With
today's LCDs ghosting, much like the real thing, kind of faded away into the VAST.

I guess in the end it all boils down to each person's individual tastes.

Qix84

Aug 10, 2011
Np ? All G2s,...all LCD devices. LCD tech kind of plateaud so manufacturer starting developing AMOLED displays. LG seems to have made great improvements though with their LCDs and I'm glad they chose this route as I prefer LCD to AMOLED any day.

AMOLEDs may evolve to the point where burn in isn't an issue, much like how LCD displays when first introduced suffered from ghosting that was so bad it wasn't even am option for anyone who games. With
today's LCDs ghosting, much like the real thing, kind of faded away into the VAST.

I guess in the end it all boils down to each person's individual tastes.

But i have a LCD IPS LG MONITOR, and run the test about 10 minutes and i havent IR, i have a LCD IPS LG TV (LA6200) and i havent IR. I think not all LCD IPS have this problem :S

MidnightHarvester

Apr 16, 2010
In the VAST
Yeah the IPS LG monitor is susceptible but just because it is doesn't mean you'll ever see it happen. People in the Apple forums are always asking about why their Safari url bar remains once the app is closed. These people must be on Safari all day every day lol.

Most often you'll see it on displays in places that keep a TV running all the time with like CNN running (restaurants, display units in stores, etc) . Just because it can happen doesn't mean it will. It's something I never worry about while using LCD displays