Nandroid for Hero

Search This thread

IseeBrickedPhones

Apr 12, 2009
Anyone got Nanadroid working with Hero yet?

Need to take a back up on my device before I start playing around with it!

Dayzee

Jan 6, 2008
Manchester UK
Beat me to it - I did a successful Nandroid backup today before I rooted my Hero. So I guess if I need to I can restore that unrooted image. :) I used the recovery image in the rooting thread above xx

frandavid100

Aug 5, 2009
Valencia
Hi Dayzee,

I'm pretty new to all this, su just to be on the safe side: does your method (linked above) allow me to make a full backup of everything I have in my phone now, and to restore that backup if / when I brick it trying to root it or install a different build?

Thanks in advance.

minogue

Jan 31, 2009
Elizabeth
Hi Dayzee,

I'm pretty new to all this, su just to be on the safe side: does your method (linked above) allow me to make a full backup of everything I have in my phone now, and to restore that backup if / when I brick it trying to root it or install a different build?

Thanks in advance.

yes it will restore whatever you had when you made the backup inlcuding setting and just anything you can imagine.

Dayzee

Jan 6, 2008
Manchester UK
i think that is what Nandroid does, but I've never had to restore from a backup so can't be sure - any thread or wiki on Nandroid will tell you.

The recovery image that you boot during the rooting process has Nandroid built in - when you get to the recovery console screen, scroll down to Nandroid back up and press the scroll wheel - away it goes, and then says back up completed - the file is then on your SD card in a folder called Nandroid and from the looks of the console, to restore, you'd just scroll to that option and press the scroll button.

If you're in doubt - do nowt - that's my moto. But good luck if you want to have a go :)

Dayzee

frandavid100

Aug 5, 2009
Valencia
Thanks minogue, that's relieving. I'd like to start learning to make the most of my hero, but I'm quite afraid of breaking it, what with being so expensive and me having a monthly data fee for it and all.

Phil_UK

Jul 26, 2009
Hi,
What is the image 'cm-hero-recovery.img' exactly?

Is it a particular Hero release? I presume this is the image of the rooted hero....but how does it compare to the unlocked HTC supplied Hero? Are there missing applications, widgets etc...?

Thanks
Phil

Apr 18, 2008
n00b question no. 1

I'm new to Android so I suspect you'll need to be patient with me, very patient. I'm trying to backup my device but I've been unsuccessful so far. This is what I'm doing:

1. Power down handset
2. Power handset back up(holding down back key) This brings up the Fastboot, I think, screen.
3. Plug in USB cable
4. Fire up CMD.exe
5. Enter "fastboot boot cm-hero-recovery.img" - this brings up Android system recovery screen.
6. but now when I select "[Alt+B]Nandroid v2.2 backup" it says performing backup for a second or so but results in: Error running nandroid backup. Backup not performed.

I tried removing the USB cable but that doesn't help. Any advice/ideas/anything, I'm desperate(not really, maybe a little: ). Thanks

enlightener

Aug 21, 2008
Rome
I'm new to Android so I suspect you'll need to be patient with me, very patient. I'm trying to backup my device but I've been unsuccessful so far. This is what I'm doing:

1. Power down handset
2. Power handset back up(holding down back key) This brings up the Fastboot, I think, screen.
3. Plug in USB cable
4. Fire up CMD.exe
5. Enter "fastboot boot cm-hero-recovery.img" - this brings up Android system recovery screen.
6. but now when I select "[Alt+B]Nandroid v2.2 backup" it says performing backup for a second or so but results in: Error running nandroid backup. Backup not performed.

I tried removing the USB cable but that doesn't help. Any advice/ideas/anything, I'm desperate(not really, maybe a little: ). Thanks

hmmm, you need to have at least 152 MB + the size of your data partition free on your sdcard.If you have the space and still doesn't work, you can try to do a backup using command line from the recovery:

Code:
adb shell
nandroid-mobile.sh -b

ps. nandroid options:
Code:
nandroid-mobile v2.1

Usage: /sbin/nandroid-mobile.sh {-b|--backup|-r|--restore|-d|--delete|-u|--getupdate|--webget|--compress|--bzip2} [options]
At least one operation must be defined, try /sbin/nandroid-mobile.sh --help for more information