[Q] 3G Speeds on Epic 4G Extremely Slow?

Search This thread

Art2Fly

Aug 11, 2010
Well, ive had the Epic for about 2 months now. Got into the rooting scene and have been flashing all kinds of roms and hacks, but something has never changed for me. My 3G Speeds are about as fast as dial up... i cannot watch youtube without waiting half an hour for a 5 minute buffer, and barely can wifi tether because the connection is too damn slow. im getting about 194 kbps down and 98 kbps up, which is trash compared to what i used to get with ATT (1.2 mbps/800kbps). I am running on DK28, and have Epic Experience 2.0.0.5 installed EVEN WITH the viperROM data governor killer. Can someone please help me with this incredibly annoying issue?

Last edited:

Art2Fly

Aug 11, 2010
I am sorry, but i need a second opinion of this... I payed $530 for a phone that doesnt get 3g speeds?

BeerChameleon

Aug 21, 2008
Tucson,Arizona.
Sorry to here that, however im on stock 2.1 eclair rooted, custom kernal and my 3g is fast and i get faster speed then your earlier att speeds, Even when i have poor 3g service it still blazing fast, right now im using it to wifi tether using mobile ap to stream music on my ipod touch and was downloading 6mb gba roms and got 4 of those downloaded in like 3 min total.

What rom are u running i have no issues with 1x/3g/4g

lviv73

Mar 3, 2010
Buffalo NY
Man,i had constant 500-700kbps on Tmobile before lame ass sprint rep promised me 4G in one month of my Epic purcHase(October 11,2010),now im stuck with 70-200kbps(about 120kbps most of the time) and now that I bought the phone sprint reps dont know when 4G is coming to Biffalo,NY.My ATT 2G 3 years ago was faster the Sprint's 3G.
It used to take me 20min to download a movie on,tmobile now its like 2-4 hours.Man,i feel like walkin to Sprint and splittin that dude's head open for telling me all this.

A_Flying_Fox

Aug 10, 2010
Q
Man,i had constant 500-700kbps on Tmobile before lame ass sprint rep promised me 4G in one month of my Epic purcHase(October 11,2010),now im stuck with 70-200kbps(about 120kbps most of the time) and now that I bought the phone sprint reps dont know when 4G is coming to Biffalo,NY.My ATT 2G 3 years ago was faster the Sprint's 3G.
It used to take me 20min to download a movie on,tmobile now its like 2-4 hours.Man,i feel like walkin to Sprint and splittin that dude's head open for telling me all this.

Man my hero had a hell of a lot more speed than the epic on 3g. My hero was 1.8mb d/l 1mb u/l

Epic is 150-250kb and 100kb for dl and ul

Not to mention,the ping is horrible. The epics ping is 150-200ms compared to my heros 50ish ping

On 4g the ping is still horible with 150-200ms, but I get 6mb dl and 1mb ul on average, sometimes I get 1MB/s download but the upload seems to be capped at 1mb/s

I think sprint gimped this phones speeds to ensure the evo was good and banwidth free

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

BeerChameleon

Aug 21, 2008
Tucson,Arizona.
Well what ive noticed is that AT&T 3g Speeds Crawl Everywhere i go compared to sprint, sprint has always been the most reliable and fastest for me. Ive been on my HTC touch.Touch pro 2 and My latest epic and always been fast data just slow phones. my epic has been blazzing fast on data compared to my friends iphone, my old phones and gross t-mobile :p

slybarman

Dec 24, 2010
I think it is the network. I get lousy 3g speeds in some places and excellent 3g speeds in others.

lviv73

Mar 3, 2010
Buffalo NY
Q

Man my hero had a hell of a lot more speed than the epic on 3g. My hero was 1.8mb d/l 1mb u/l

Epic is 150-250kb and 100kb for dl and ul

Not to mention,the ping is horrible. The epics ping is 150-200ms compared to my heros 50ish ping

On 4g the ping is still horible with 150-200ms, but I get 6mb dl and 1mb ul on average, sometimes I get 1MB/s download but the upload seems to be capped at 1mb/s

I think sprint gimped this phones speeds to ensure the evo was good and banwidth free

Yeah,Sprint's ping and latency makes 200kbps seem like 50kbps.But still this is 2011 and not 2007,200kbps on 3G is a joke.
Plus I read that when Epic/Evo have their 4G turned on they lag so much that you have to reboot them 3-4 times a day.

Unknown Zone

Oct 16, 2007
South Texas
It is the network, when I am at my GF house I get very poor 3g speed like 200k-maybe 400k every single time I am there no matter day it is. But when I go back to my house on the week/weekends which is about 150 to 200 miles away my 3g speeds are great 700k-1000k. So now I just expect poor 3g speed when I am at my GF house.

nikon120

Oct 3, 2010
I'm envious of you "slow" speeds.

Using Speed Test, I'm lucky if I get 50kps regardless of signal. I've been thinking of bringing my phone in to be looked at, because I think that speed is BS for 3G.

h2g2

Dec 31, 2010
The problem is not inherent with the Epic. I get 1243kbps down and 514kbps up on mine. My only points of comparison are my Nexus One on T-Mobile (no longer working, number ported to my Epic) which got somewhere around 2500kbps down and 1000kbps up but that's on HSPDA so that's not really a fair comparison. My Verizon Blackberry 9650 gets similar speeds compared to my Epic in speed tests but obviously day to day internet activity is loads faster on the Epic due to the better OS and faster processor.

My first Epic was defective and, among other problems, it did exhibit low speed (in addition to device hangs, a broken accelerometer, etc) so definitely take it in to a Sprint store and ask about getting a replacement.

Art2Fly

Aug 11, 2010
So... Is there any solution to this? Seriously, how in the world does someone "video Chat" with the front facing camera over **** speed? Sprint needs to get their stuff together.... I, however, had my wife's hero and i did a speed test and she gets 800kbps down and 500 up.... in the same exact place where i tested my epic, and it even had the same amount of bars... 3

jesssiii

Aug 19, 2010
Southern CA
What's the signal strength (in dBm) of both the phones?
NOOB question: what's dBm and is the best number after the minus sign higher or lower? Right now I'm -85, but at times I've been at -105 or -45. Which of these numbers is best?

HTC Incredible Froyo
UnrEVOked Forever S - off
LauncherPro Plus
Cyanogenmod 6.1 Inc
Invisiblek aosp #18 kernel
Baseband 2.15.00.11.19

anthromatt

Jan 2, 2008
Sacramento, CA
NOOB question: what's dBm and is the best number after the minus sign higher or lower? Right now I'm -85, but at times I've been at -105 or -45. Which of these numbers is best?

HTC Incredible Froyo
UnrEVOked Forever S - off
LauncherPro Plus
Cyanogenmod 6.1 Inc
Invisiblek aosp #18 kernel
Baseband 2.15.00.11.19

-45 is great. Almost as though you are right under a tower. -105 is right before you might expect your signal to go away to nothing.

FWIW, I think it is the network. I get 100-200kbps in places and upwards of 1200kbps (download) in others.

A_Flying_Fox

Aug 10, 2010
Yeah,Sprint's ping and latency makes 200kbps seem like 50kbps.But still this is 2011 and not 2007,200kbps on 3G is a joke.
Plus I read that when Epic/Evo have their 4G turned on they lag so much that you have to reboot them 3-4 times a day.

Well no...not really lol. I keep my phone on 4g or wifi. I barely use 3g. I only put it on fr testing purposes lol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There's someproblem with samsung onedram they are going to adress it in gingerbread latr this month

Thanks for apologizing, OP, but it's unnecessary. On message boards like these, there are many people with many different experiences. Just because I have one doesn't mean it's the end-all, be-all of all things Sprint. Wait until a few more people post before worrying about apologizing.

Just wanted to say that my only point of reference are the multiple times I took my daughter's two Moments and ran speed tests on all three devices (two moments and one Epic) in the exact same place and the Moments consistently get better speeds by at least 250kbps.

With my friend's EVO against my Epic in the exact same locations, again, is at least 250kpbs faster than my Epic.

DISCLAIMER: Again, so nobody's feelings get hurt or think I'm attempting to be the sole voice of authority on this or any other site pertaining to hardware or software with which I am not an expert, this is one person's opinion and may be dismissed or considered with no emotional, physical or mental harm to the originator of said opinion.