[UnBrick]TOTAL WIPE and reflash back to 1.4.0 via Ubuntu Recovery --Now Easier!!!!

Search This thread

CelticWebSolutions

May 25, 2011
your image may be corrupt. Try redownloading it.

The power button will work to turn on and off the screen, but the screen wont go black while the recovery is running. It will only go blank. Also, there are no provisions encoroerated for moving the mouse. Something went wrong with the image.

Well I managed to get it to boot again and now it boots but locks on the box screen, so I fired up a CWM SD (couldn’t get there from standard system) and tried to restore a backup, when it tries to format system or loadds something from cache is said the disk / file does not exist.

Does this recovery rebuild the Partitions? They seem to have been killed off. I appear to be getting closer and closer to thinking I have a totally bricked tablet. It will boot form SD and run OS from SD so not total loss but I'd much prefer to get internal back of course.

Any hints or tips Adam?

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

By the way I'm trying it again and this time it's sat for ages saying writing zeros to MLO.

It's been about 10 mins already so if it's suppose ot only take 15 in total I think I have a big problem!

****edit****

After about 30 mins of it writing to MLO I came to the conclusion it wasn't going to work.

Rebooted into a cwm sd, ran parted binary and discovered a damaged partition table. It must have been damaged when my tablet crashes first time around. So i fixed it with parted then tried again.

I'm happy to report that it made it all the way through and my NT is back totally to stock.

Thanks for the image Adam, it's another saved NT you can add to your list. Ubuntu looks good if we can just rotate the access, had same issue running it on an older device, we did fix it but I can't remember how. I'll look when I get time, be great to have a dual boot Ubuntu / cm7 :)

Last edited:
Reactions: afastyzfr1

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
It's functioning perfectly for this. volume and power work, standby does not. The N button is recognized by X, but is unassigned. We don't have touchscreen working properly... it's 90degrees off. ALSA is non-functional... a bunch of things dont work.. We need a 3.0+ kernel.

Reactions: BowlingGuy86

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
Bump.

This fixes your nook! Just shove the sdcard in your nook and turn it on. Some devices require you to connect the USB cable while the device is off(thereby turning it on via USB). This works and is effective at fixing problems.

It will fix any non-hardware related booting problem and your device will be totally clean.

howcansheslap

Jan 7, 2012
Texas
After about 30 mins of it writing to MLO I came to the conclusion it wasn't going to work.

Rebooted into a cwm sd, ran parted binary and discovered a damaged partition table. It must have been damaged when my tablet crashes first time around. So i fixed it with parted then tried again.

I'm having the exact same problem! Stalls on "writing all zeros to MLO". I suspect I have a damaged partition table as well. Where would I get the parted binary you speak of?

Edit: Ahh...I just read your other post. THanks for the info!

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

Trying to follow Celtic's suggestion, I did an 'adb push parted /'. When I try to run it in adb shell with ./parted, I get device not found. Do I need to a specific partition for parted to work?

Last edited:

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
I'm having the exact same problem! Stalls on "writing all zeros to MLO". I suspect I have a damaged partition table as well. Where would I get the parted binary you speak of?

Edit: Ahh...I just read your other post. THanks for the info!

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

Trying to follow Celtic's suggestion, I did an 'adb push parted /'. When I try to run it in adb shell with ./parted, I get device not found. Do I need to a specific partition for parted to work?

Have you use adb before? Do you have installed the proper drivers for it?

Sent from XDA premium using my Nook Tablet :p

howcansheslap

Jan 7, 2012
Texas
Yes, I have the correct drivers and ABD works fine. I'm not really clear about what steps I should take for parted to work. The only partitions which are mounted are:

rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,mode=755
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=600)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
/dev/block/mmcblk1p1 on /sdcard type vfat

CWM won't let me mount any other partitions. ADB won't either (command I used is mount -t vfat /cache /mnt, is that the correct type?).

Last edited:

Land Master

Jun 18, 2010
Highlands Ranch, CO.
Ok, it's official. Some Nook Tablets require USB connection to boot SDCard. I fixed a nook this weekend which would not boot from SDCard normally. It would boot the installed stock firmware.

All I did was make an SDCard like in the first post, put it in the Nook Tablet, then inserted the USB cable.

Yup... I got me one of those. I was 90% sure it wasn't anything I was doing but your post gets me the other 10%. Good to know as it really is a simple "fix".

Any idea or speculation as to what is "different" about this batch?

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
Yup... I got me one of those. I was 90% sure it wasn't anything I was doing but your post gets me the other 10%. Good to know as it really is a simple "fix".

Any idea or speculation as to what is "different" about this batch?
It would have to be a different IROM (Internal Read-Only Memory) on the OMAP4460. It's odd that a change would be made this early into production. I mean, what, did they order 500,000 units, then a second larger batch? Either way it's going to make things more difficult. Booting from SDCard instructions from here out should include turn off the device, plug in USB cable, do not hit power button.

Reactions: Land Master

howcansheslap

Jan 7, 2012
Texas
Adam, your tool is total greatness. It successfully unbricked my NT yesterday. One of the causes of my brick, however, was a corrupted partition table, which I had to fix before I could get your tool to work. Maybe you could integrate that into the script?

The command I used is 'parted /dev/block/mmcblk0 print' (props to Celtic for pointing this out).

The only problem is that it prompts for a few questions so I don't know if it's even suited for the Ubunto wipe/restore script. It does appear that the input can be scripted as well.

http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/parted.html#Invoking-Parted

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
Adam, your tool is total greatness. It successfully unbricked my NT yesterday. One of the causes of my brick, however, was a corrupted partition table, which I had to fix before I could get your tool to work. Maybe you could integrate that into the script?

The command I used is 'parted /dev/block/mmcblk0 print' (props to Celtic for pointing this out).

The only problem is that it prompts for a few questions so I don't know if it's even suited for the Ubunto wipe/restore script. It does appear that the input can be scripted as well.

http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/parted.html#Invoking-Parted

If you can tell me the options, then I can use the --script command line option in order to script the parted action. can you get a copy of the output somehow?

I'd like to recreate this... how did you manage to mess it up in the first place?

Last edited:

howcansheslap

Jan 7, 2012
Texas
I have no idea how I managed this. I used the format sdcard option in CM7 and rebooted, but that may or may not be the cause.

I know Celtic and bariskeskin have both also run into this, they may be able to provide clues.

Here's the complete command line i/o. The only responses I actually typed to the questions were 'yes', 'fix', 'fix'...everything else you see below is an echo.

Code:
~ # parted /dev/block/mmcblk0 print
parted /dev/block/mmcblk0 print
Warning: /dev/block/mmcblk0 contains GPT signatures, indicating that it has a
GPT table.  However, it does not have a valid fake msdos partition table, as it
should.  Perhaps it was corrupted -- possibly by a program that doesn't
understand GPT partition tables.  Or perhaps you deleted the GPT table, and are
now using an msdos partition table.  Is this a GPT partition table?
Yes/No? yes
yes
yes
Error: The backup GPT table is not at the end of the disk, as it should be.
This might mean that another operating system believes the disk is smaller.
Fix, by moving the backup to the end (and removing the old backup)?
Fix/Ignore/Cancel? fix
fix
fix
Warning: Not all of the space available to /dev/block/mmcblk0 appears to be
used, you can fix the GPT to use all of the space (an extra 569312 blocks) or
continue with the current setting?
Fix/Ignore? fix
fix
fix
Model: MMC SEM16G (sd/mmc)
Disk /dev/block/mmcblk0: 15.9GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name        Flags
 1      131kB   262kB   131kB                xloader
 2      262kB   524kB   262kB                bootloader
 3      524kB   16.3MB  15.7MB               recovery
 4      16.8MB  33.6MB  16.8MB               boot
 5      33.6MB  83.9MB  50.3MB               rom
 6      83.9MB  134MB   50.3MB               bootdata
 7      134MB   522MB   388MB                factory
 8      522MB   1164MB  642MB                system
 9      1164MB  1611MB  447MB                cache
10      1611MB  2684MB  1074MB               media
11      2684MB  15.6GB  12.9GB               userdata

Reactions: bariskeskin

cyberma007

Mar 31, 2011
Just wanted to everyone know that I was able to use windows to create the SD card for the restore, I extraxted the file winrar, added extention .img to the end of the file and used "win32 Disk Image" to burn it to SD.

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
Just wanted to everyone know that I was able to use windows to create the SD card for the restore, I extraxted the file winrar, added extention .img to the end of the file and used "win32 Disk Image" to burn it to SD.

Please do me a favor and repeat that on your already made card... that disk imager makes you pick a drive and i was hesitant because i did not want to risk putting up instructions that could fail. If you would, put up some detailed instructions and i will add it with credit to the first post.

Changing the extension should probly be done on my end rather than make the user do it. I wasnt concerned because we were dealing in native linux and mac before.

cyberma007

Mar 31, 2011
I have done it 2 times now and both times worked perfect.
it does let me choose a drive.
So here it goes
Download the file to your PC
Extract it with Winrar
Add extension .img in the end of the extracted file name
Download "win32 Disk Image" and open
Put in your SD Card and choose the drive letter of your SD Card from "win32 Disk Image"
click write.
just remember the size of the SD card needs to be bigger then 2GB, my 2GB was to small, I think 4GB should do it.
Turn of your nook and put in the SD Card and turn it back on.
it will take about 20 minutes or so, My SD card was class 10.
in the End my screen went black and i plugged in my USB Cable in and took it out, which made the screen show power off now.

Thank again for a great tool.

GabrialDestruir

Nov 12, 2009
California
This could brick all 8GB devices, just fair warning.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1513355

Well assuming by this thread that Adam's 1.4.0 Booted and trashed your system.... you'll either have to try taking it back in and playing real real stupid, like too stupid to program the vcr stupid, or you'll just have to wait until someone makes recovery for the 8GB nooks.

Let me explain, the Boot Loader files for 1.4.0 are designed to run for the 16GB devices only, it wasn't until 1.4.2 (which is available for both devices) that B&N modified the Boot Loader files to run on both 16GB and 8GB. Therefore when MLO tries to initiate memory it's trying to initiate for the 16GBs 1GB memory as opposed to the 512MB of the 8GB device, this will cause the device not to boot.

Last edited:

CelticWebSolutions

May 25, 2011
He's not bricked. It just failed to boot. Holding the power button will turn it off, then he can turn it back on.

Yup that's what I think it is too, I've posted on his thread telling him to try. The exact same thing happedne dot my 8gb when I tried booting SD by connecting usb cable earlier, the device just locks out and does nothing.

This does however suggest it's attempting to boot form SD when being powered on by usb cable with SD in slot :)

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
He's not, but it's still a possibility if someone tries to "fix" this to run on 8GB devices, it's something to take in consideration.

I'm entirely not worried about it until it happens. The worst thing that could happen is it breaks and they ask me for help, then I can release a 8gig version. ;) I'm absolutely sure the worst thing that could happen is a total loss of all data on the device.... which is the point of using this in the first place. So, until there's an actual problem, no need for a red flag. Problems stimulate development. If I put up a warning then noone will put any effort into it. In fact, it's likely the only thing that needs to change is the internal storage partition and the bootloader.

If someone would like to lend me a 8gig device, I might be able to make it work.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This post can unbrick any Nook Tablet as long as there is no hardware damage.

Introduction
    Some of you might know that I've been working on getting Ubuntu 11.10 running on the Nook Tablet. Why Ubuntu 11.10? It's optimized for touchscreen. My work with Ubuntu is not totally ready yet. The touchscreen is totally wonkey and unusable for touch input.

...Well, without a 3.0 kernel tailored to our device, Ubuntu is quite unusable as a Graphical User Interface. I've tried to compile a few times without any real results to report. The best results I've come across use a 2.6 kernel based on the kernel used for our device by Android. Anyway, if anyone can help get us a operational 3.0, 3.2+ kernel with full support for our device, I can get Ubuntu running.

However, all is not lost. Ubuntu DOES boot on a 2.6 kernel and it WILL perform most tasks that do not require special device control, like wiping the disk and reflashing. I've come up with a total wipe and restore program for SDCard based on ubuntu.

So, as a result of my work, I would like to present the first ever Ubuntu Recovery. This will totally wipe your device. With the exception of the ROM Partition which contains serial information, every single partition will have zeros written to it then flashed with just enough to perform an initial factory reflash. Normally when you perform an update or flash of a device, it is simply formatted. A formatted device can be unformatted. A zeroed device cannot be unformatted. All information is overwritten with zeros.

This will also work if you've damaged the bootloaders or recovery partition.

how to create your own bootable Ubuntu Recovery SDCard

You will need:
    • A Class 4 SDCard with at least 4Gigs of space
    • 6 gigs of free space (for downloading sdcard image and uncompressing)
    • The SDCard Image: http://ge.tt/9rVFXxC?c

Linux/Mac Instructions
    1. Open a terminal in Ubuntu by typing "terminal" in the search bar then hit enter
    2. uncompress the Downloaded SDCard Image
      Code:
      cd ~/Downloads
      tar -xvwzf ./AdamOutlerUbuntuTotalReFlash.tar.gz
    3. With the SDCard or reader removed from the computer, get a list of all disks
      Code:
      ls /dev/sd?
    4. Insert your sdcard or usb sdcard reader, then press the up key and enter to repeat the last command. The new device will show up as sdb, sdc, sdd or sde. each new device gets a higher letter. Note this newly plugged in device.(ie. /dev/sdc)
    5. Use the following command to make your new SDCard, where "sdc" is the name of your SDCard device.
      Code:
      sudo dd if=./AdamOutlerUbuntuTotalReFlash of=/dev/sdc bs=4096; sync
      Wait 5-20 minutes (depending on SDCard speed) until the image burning completes.
    6. Shove it in your nook and turn it on by inserting the USB cable(do touch the power button, just insert the usb cable). Your nook will boot Ubuntu and perform a total factory restore. The process will take 15 minutes to complete with a Class4 micro SDcard.

Pro-tip: to copy and paste easily in Ubuntu, highlight text in the browser, then press the middle mouse button on the terminal.
    Pro-tip: The tab key will auto-complete filenames.

Windows Instructions
    Thanks to cyberma007 for Windows instructions.
    • Extract AdamOutlerUbuntuRecoveryImage with Winrar
    • Rename the resulting file to Add the .img extension to the filename
    • Download and open Win32 Disk Imager. note: The open source project can be found here: https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer
    • Choose the drive letter of your SD Card from Win32 Disk Imager
    • Click the Write button
    • Turn of your nook and put in the SD Card and turn it back on.

Your Microsoft®™ Windows©®℠ computer sucks at reading anything except Microsoft formats. It cannot read the Open Source Linux EXT4 format. You will only see one partition after creating the SDCard but it will work fine. If you want to inspect the contents, install a Linux distribution on your computer.

znq6ur.jpg

Theory of operation
    how it works
    When you insert the SDCard and turn on the device this is what happens.
    • The device boots from SDCard.
    • The Ubuntu GUI will load. Personally, I recommend that you do not touch anything
    • You will be presented with a 100 Second countdown
    • If you wish to stop, press and hold power for 10 seconds before flashing has started
    • You will be presented with a progress bar status update only. Closing this will not affect the process. the only way to stop is to turn the device off.
    • At this point, the flashing process will begin
    Flashing Process
    After Ubuntu has booted here is the procedure which takes place
    1. MLO partition will be written with all zeros, then flashed
    2. U-BOOT partition will be written with all zeros, then flashed
    3. RECOVERY partition will be written with all zeros, then flashed
    4. BOOT partition will be written with all zeros, then flashed
    5. BOOTDATA partition will be written with all zeros, then flashed
    6. BOOTDATA is mounted and a command is sent to factory reset the device upon next boot.
    7. FACTORY partition will be written with all zeros, then flashed in two parts to work around a 120 second filesystem operation bug.
    8. A sync operation takes place to ensure all data is written to the device
    9. SYSTEM partition is wiped with all zeros
    10. SYSTEM partition is recreated as a blank EXT4 filesystem
    11. CACHE partition is wiped with all zeros
    12. CACHE partition is recreated as a blank EXT4 filesystem
    13. SDCARD partition is wiped with all zeros
    14. SDCARD partition is recreated as a blank FAT32 filesystem
    15. A sync operation takes place to ensure that all data is written
    16. You are notified to press and hold power. When the screen goes black remove your SDCard
    note: Using a Class4 SDCard, the screen timeout will be aproximately 30 seconds after the entire operation has completed. Do not confuse screen-timeout (blank screen) with turning off the device (black, unilluminated screen). Turn the device off and then remove the sdcard or risk corrupting the data on the sdcard.

It's my intention that this may help someone. This will at least be one more method for people to try before giving up on restoration to 1.4.0. I generally receive 5-10 PMs per week requesting support on the acclaim_update.zip. Hopefully this will reduce those and give people another option to try.

Ubuntu isn't ready for daily use yet, but this recovery tool is more thorough than any other recovery method out there. I need some help porting the 3.0 kernel to the Nook Tablet.
    Note: to neuter recovery and just use ubuntu, remove the file called /root/recovery from the sdcard before loading into your Nook.
    Here is the rehosted file and new instructions. Let me know if there are any problems so I can redo the first post.

You will need:

Instructions:
    1. Open a terminal in Ubuntu by typing "terminal" in the search bar then hit enter
    2. uncompress the Downloaded SDCard Image
      Code:
      cd ~/Downloads
      tar -xvwzf ./AdamOutlerUbuntuTotalReFlash.tar.gz
    3. type "ls" to get a file listing and locate the name of the new file. (ie AdamOutlerUbuntuTotalReFlash).
    4. With the SDCard or reader removed from the computer, get a list of all disks
      Code:
      ls /dev/sd?
    5. Insert your sdcard or usb sdcard reader, then press the up key and enter to repeat the last command. The new device will show up as sdb, sdc, sdd or sde. each new device gets a higher letter. Note this newly plugged in device.(ie. /dev/sdc)
    6. Use the following command to make your new SDCard, where "AdamOutlerUbuntuTotalReFlash" is the name of the uncompressed file and "sdc" is the name of your SDCard device.

Code:
      sudo dd if=./AdamOutlerUbuntuTotalReFlash of=/dev/sdc
      Wait 5-45 minutes (depending on SDCard speed) until the image burning completes.
    7. Shove it in your nook and turn it on. The process will take 15 minutes to complete with a Class4 micro SDcard

Pro-tip: to copy and paste easily in Ubuntu, highlight text in the browser, then press the middle mouse button on the terminal.
    Pro-tip: The tab key will auto-complete filenames.
    Which kernel branch did you try to build?
    I've tried several. The problem is in configuration. I eventually settled for the stock 2.6 android_4430BN_defconfig. It seems to function best for this until we have a proper 3.0 kernel.
    Thanks Adam very nice work. Question what if we want to revert to 1.4.0 or 1.4.0 is it possible or we will be stick it lol. Can this be supported for dual/multi boot?

~ Veronica

Sent from XDA premium using my Nook Tablet :p
    Thats what this does. It reverts you to 1.4.0. It uses Ubuntu as a dedicated recovery. If you would like to dual boot, just remove the /root/recovery file. You can boot Ubuntu or normal by inserting and removing the sdcard. But like i said, the touchscreen is wonkey and there's no way to fix most of the problems without a 3.0 kernel.

Very good work Adam.
    I have one trivial question... Why on all your projects do you use Ubuntu and not any other distro?

I use Ubuntu on my desktop. I like Ubuntu because it has a large user base and if i come across a problem, it is easier to correct or has generally at least been discussed. For a mobile device, it makes more sense than other Linux distributions because newer versions have been optimized for touchscreens. In general, i find Ubuntu supports more things than other Linux distributions.