Wireless Hotspot hack procedure *Working*

Search This thread

jpetrach

Jan 6, 2013
detroit
Sorry been reading forums forever new to posting on them.

Still I'm looking for a way to get my internet back without the root

RAZR HD jelly bean 4.1.1 on Verizon

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

jpetrach

Jan 6, 2013
detroit
I'm not against rooting, I would rather wait until the dev team breaks JB. Then I can just root. Had a bad ROM and bricked HTC inc 2. Love the RAZR

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using xda app-developers app

LifeAsADroid

Sep 17, 2012
Awesomeville, USA
With the utility 1.10 allowing people to go back to ICS, root, then return to JB, I doubt the devs are going to work on rooting JB. I followed the utility 1.10 procedure and it worked perfect. I recommend that, else live without wireless tethering.

Ban-Hammer

Aug 17, 2011
Who cares
With the utility 1.10 allowing people to go back to ICS, root, then return to JB, I doubt the devs are going to work on rooting JB. I followed the utility 1.10 procedure and it worked perfect. I recommend that, else live without wireless tethering.

I remember when GB leaked for the X2, and came pre-rooted thanks to P3Droid. Why can't custom roms be like that anymore?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2 on the Verizon 4G LTE network, America's largest 4G LTE network. This signature is really long.

sastone75

Jan 8, 2013
JB 4.1.1 and wifi hack

Running JB 4.1.1 on my RMaxxHD rooted and still (as of this posting) could not get FoxFi to work. Fed up with it, used this hack procedure, and it worked beautifully. Time to put my unlimited data to work.

The best part about this hack is we've now turned a "bloatware" app into a useable app, and I can free my phone from the useless (and not bloatware itself) FoxFi, Barnicle, Wifi Tether, Open Garden, etc., etc. apps.

Could you point me in the direction of the exact procedure use use to root and also apply the wifi hack? Also, if I'm reading this correctly you are saying that it does still work on JB 4.1.1 (I just got a RMaxxHD as well. LOVE it but haven't updated from ICS because I don't wanna loose wifi.) I have an unlimited plan so it's not free unless I use an app and as you know no current apps work on JB!

THANKS SO MUCH!! I know a lot about Phones and computers but it will be my first root, not my first hack though, lol. :laugh:

LifeAsADroid

Sep 17, 2012
Awesomeville, USA
Go to the Utility 1.10 thread and download and follow the instructions for using the utility. If you've hacked before, you should be able to read the instructions and figure out how to root, protect, and take the update.

Then come back to this thread and follow the procedure for using the sqlite editor to hack the hotspot app.

tech_head

Go to the Utility 1.10 thread and download and follow the instructions for using the utility. If you've hacked before, you should be able to read the instructions and figure out how to root, protect, and take the update.

Then come back to this thread and follow the procedure for using the sqlite editor to hack the hotspot app.

SQLite doesn't work on my JB Razr HD.

sullytrny

Dec 24, 2006
Saranac Lake
100 bucks I have everything android offers. Ms 1000+ plus for applications. ? 15, 000 is realistic. ?. CAD

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk HD

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

SQLite doesn't work on my JB Razr HD.

Yes the paid does

km8j

Dec 9, 2012
Guys this does not work for me. Neither wireless tether (switching the methods) or the entitlement check switch works. Any ideas? Rooted JB

tech_head

100 bucks I have everything android offers. Ms 1000+ plus for applications. ? 15, 000 is realistic. ?. CAD

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

Yes the paid does

Yes,
I had to reinstall SuperUser and wipe cache.
Works fine

patsoxfan

Jul 24, 2011
Just curious. My entitlement check is on line 66 is that OK. JB and rooted

Sent from my DROID RAZR using xda app-developers app

sullytrny

Dec 24, 2006
Saranac Lake
Also

Remember with this mod the line number varies

You must be rooted and have file system set to r/w. I use ES file explorer and it's in with the other root settings. I then use sqlite

Ginger Bread
ICS
JB

KFHD 8.9 (root & playstore) - XT912 - HTC Nexus ONE - GT3113 - MID7048

Reactions: patsoxfan

sastone75

Jan 8, 2013
Help with APN type

Could you walk me through where you find this setting and how you changed it? THANKS SO VERY MUCH!
:good:
I came across this setting after doing some searching.

APN type
default,supl,mms,dun

It is the "dun" that finally allowed data access on Mobile Hotspot for Telus.
The first time I have had add this on any of my phones to get hotspot to work!!?!!

mepstein10

Feb 7, 2012
Danville
For some reason I cannot get either method to work, I have done the entitlement check change to 0 using SQLlite, but every time I connect, regardless of the SSID I use, I always get limited connectivity, and constant reconnecting.

Any help or suggestions? This was the main reason why I chose to root, so if I cannot get it to work, that would be a huge letdown. I tried using Wifi tether for root users with the exact same result. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit:

Adding details of my device
Verizon Droid Razr Maxx HD
System version: 9.1.41.xt926.verizon.en.US
Android Version: 4.1.1
Baseband: Vanquish_bp_100700.210.64.05p
Kernel: 3.0.31-g59a8475 (hudson@buildlinux16 #1)
build number: 9.8.1Q_39

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ****** UPDATE - Foxfi is no longer free - This hack still works!*******

Hi guys another poster tipped me off to the entilement hack to get the stock hotspot app working and I tried it and it works. I figured i would post it here to take care of people waiting for a foxfi update and to keep the procedure listed in the RAZR HD section. As always, use at your own risk.

Here's what you need:

SQL Lite Editor (not the manager) - it's $2.99 from the play store.

Here is the procedure:

1) Open SQL Lite Editor and in the default "Apps" list, scroll all the way down to "Settings Storage" but you must choose the one with the hammer and wrench graphic. There are two choices there - gotta be hammer and wrench. Tap on it to open.

2) Tap "settings.db" then tap "settings"

3) Scroll down to line 68 where it says "entitlement_check" and tap on it to highlight it and then tap on the pencil on the top of the screen to edit it.

4) Change the value from 1 to 0 and tap "save"

5) Use the back button to exit the app and hold the power button and reboot the phone.

When it starts back up just go into the "Mobile Hotspot" app provided by verizon and you're all set!

Hope this helps.
    You talking about this mod in this thread when you say wifi tether, or something else?
    Thanks

I'm talking about the WiFi Tether app.

First root and then download v3.2 Beta 2 from here:

https://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

Then go into the app and go to settings->Change Device-Profile and choose "generic ICS/JB (wlan0)"

That seems to work best on this device (read that somewhere else on the forums.)

I'm using that method and it works great.
    Hey guys...If you go to the Google development website android-wifi-tether (Wireless Tether for Root Users) http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/ and download the apk - wifi_tether_v3_2-beta2.apk. Just go to 'Settings' > 'Change Device-Profile' > select "Generic ICS/JB (wlan0). Enter your SSID and Passphrase and it works great without having to purchase an app. Note: I have tried wifi_tether_v3_3-pre1 & 2.apk and can confirm that they do not work with VZW Razr HD XT926. Enjoy the Free Stuff!!!!:good:
    I know I'm enjoying my Razr Maxx HD.. Even though I finally had to charge it after 24+ hours of use.. Sending this post via my iPhone 5! (Don't hate, I'm an equal opportunity user)

Sent from my iPhone 5
    I am using the 'entitlement_check' workaround on my Verizon 9.18.94.XT926 (Razr Maxx HD). It is rooted but locked.

When I activate the mobile hotspot on my cell, my computer and others' phones are able to see the activate hotspot. However, my PS3 and tablet (Nexus 7) do not see my cell's hotspot. What is even more baffling, is that when I use FoxFi, the PS3 and tablet see my cell's hotspot, no problem. Does this have something to do with the DHCP settings or what? Many thanks!