Sprint is rolling out EL29.. but it seems to be... different

Search This thread

reddragon72

May 28, 2008
Houston, because I have a problem
So I have seen new about sprint pushing out an update for our phone starting now. Even though it is EL29 the screen shots are showing a different base band S:D710.0.5S.EL29 and the EL29 I am on right now is S:D710.10.S.EL29

so whats the diff? Should I roll back to EG30, and let the OTA go and then root? I ask because I am getting HORRIBLE battery life on EL29 and I mean HORRIBLE!! 8 hour days with less then 2hours of screen on time.... EG30 was 14+ with 4+ screen time....

ker0zene

Feb 27, 2007
I'm going to be rolling back to receive the OTA because I'm also experiencing unacceptable battery life!

darkpoe

Nov 5, 2008
Maybe we have a release with debugging turned on...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA App

Overstew

Oct 3, 2010
So is it a safe assumption that EL29 is newer than the Ek02 that I'm on now?

Yes.

And I'm interested in seeing the changes, if any. It could just mark that it's official and not in testing anymore. Regardless, 4g signal and 3g signal are superb and my battery life is ridiculously amazing on the cirrent el29 setup.

We'll see.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

reddragon72

May 28, 2008
Houston, because I have a problem
Yes.

And I'm interested in seeing the changes, if any. It could just mark that it's official and not in testing anymore. Regardless, 4g signal and 3g signal are superb and my battery life is ridiculously amazing on the cirrent el29 setup.

We'll see.

And this is the odd thing. People like yourself are reporting great battery life on EL29, but there are a bunch of us that are experiencing just the opposite. As for signal strength I am not seeing a difference between any rom.

nibrwr

Dec 20, 2010
Oklahoma
Yes.

We'll see.

Stew, you UV/OC? Stock kernel or custom?

kingsway8605

Apr 26, 2010
So I have seen new about sprint pushing out an update for our phone starting now. Even though it is EL29 the screen shots are showing a different base band S:D710.0.5S.EL29 and the EL29 I am on right now is S:D710.10.S.EL29

so whats the diff? Should I roll back to EG30, and let the OTA go and then root? I ask because I am getting HORRIBLE battery life on EL29 and I mean HORRIBLE!! 8 hour days with less then 2hours of screen on time.... EG30 was 14+ with 4+ screen time....

If you remember a few months ago, eg30 came with two modem variants, it is possible the same thing is this time. Since we have an eg30 modem now, it will be updatable.

JohnCorleone

Dec 19, 2010
Whittier,CA
I have been waiting to hear feedback on EL29. EL13 was the best on battery by far for me. I would put back an all EL13 setup now but I am worried about Sprint's signal in Northern New Jersey and NYC. I need a rock solid setup by tomorrow night. Help me out east coasters!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

asteetva

Sep 16, 2011
Plano,TX
Strong 4g in NNJ-NY

I have been waiting to hear feedback on EL29. EL13 was the best on battery by far for me. I would put back an all EL13 setup now but I am worried about Sprint's signal in Northern New Jersey and NYC. I need a rock solid setup by tomorrow night. Help me out east coasters!

I live in Jersey City, Journal Square area, I used to get very strong 4g as soon as I get ouside my apt ( 9 mb downlad)...In side my apt it used to connect and then immidiatelly disconnect if i move the phone, but since last 2 week not sure what they have done, but even inside my apt I stay connected. So it has became even more solid.

I work at xchange place ( JC) and inside the building where my desk is, can not connect to 4g but as soon as i step out stong 3g as well as 4g.

Reactions: JohnCorleone

kingdazy

Feb 24, 2010
Olympia

well, out here in Phila (I know, not quite the same area), I get great consistent 4G on EL29 everywhere... except the subway. ;) (and excellent batt too)

nivron

Oct 21, 2010
Orlando, Florida
Can u still root this stock rom?

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

I think that one of the things that is concerning about accepting the OTA is that it disables the USB jig functionality. You should be able to tell the phone to go to Download mode and then revert, but if we wait for a rooted official ROM (or just use the likely similar EL29s we already have), the USB jig won't break. :)

haxxorcist

Dec 23, 2011

John, I don't know about your local signal, but for me in chicago area steve's 1-22 el29 build with the el29 modem has been really good. right now I'm at 18hrs on battery about 2hrs screen on time and still over 50%.

444d12d8-6f76-8a4f.jpg

444d12d8-6fe9-e459.jpg

Sent from my SPH-D710

cidica

Aug 9, 2008
Seattle, Wa

Hrm....look like we need to get that modem file then from this update and see since this is the official OTA push that baseband is what other updates are most likely going to be going off from and NOT what we currently have on our phones from the EL29 leak awhile ago.

autoprime

Recognized Dev / Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 23, 2010

if you wont be using a ton of 3g data.. id suggest writing a vzw prl and just roaming on vzw while you're there.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1. The currently being pushed EL29 ROM is identical to the leaked EL29 that has been around for weeks and that many ROMs are based off.

2. If I root EK02 but don't modify any ROM files (I.e. don't run shut up camera to fix that horrible un-mutable shutter sound) then I could receive the update OTA but it would break root. Also, installing CWM would break the ability to receive the OTA update.

3. To Re-get root after the OTA update I would have to basically ODIN a pre rooted EL29 ROM (because EL29 is not auto-rootable) which would erase all my data from EK02 I just spent 15hrs putting on my phone.

So my question is... is there a way to go from non-rooted stock EK02 to rooted EL29 while keeping all my data?
    1) It is very likely the same update that's been around. There was a little confusion earlier because Sprint posted the wrong software version number by mistake, but then later on they corrected it. Until someone can really compare every file, we can't say for sure, but it is very likely.

2) is basically correct. If you install EK02+CWM, just install EK02 and you would have restored the ability to receive the OTA.

3) there is a version of the pre-rooted EL29 ODIN One-Click which doesn't erase your data. It is the NoData version. If you are already on EL29 because of the OTA update, I would use that version as your data will be preserved.
    where do you find a rooted kernel? Or an Odin flashable kernel?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA Premium App

You can get whatever combination of el29 you want from this post
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1433101

There are versions that keep your data, reset your data, pre-rooted, also individual components as separate flashable downloads (2nd post, modem, kernel, stock rom, pre-rooted stock rom)

I would suggest you flash one of the pre-rooted el29 packages in the first post, then use the Auto Root sticky, Option C to install cwm. Doing it this way will avoid the yellow triangle.
    So is it a safe assumption that EL29 is newer than the Ek02 that I'm on now?

Yes.

We'll see.

well, out here in Phila (I know, not quite the same area), I get great consistent 4G on EL29 everywhere... except the subway. ;) (and excellent batt too)
    So if i am currently on EG30 stock rom using quick root (without CWM), how do I take the OTA update without losing root?
    The way the OTA updates work, usually they can only upgrade from a particular version to the next.

In your case, there are actually 2 pending OTA updates. One from EG30 to EK02 and another from EK02 to EL29. With the first update (EG30 to EK02), it'll disable your root (but Superuser will still be in the app drawer). Just re-run Auto Root and you'll be rooted again. With the 2nd update (EK02 to EL29), they patched the exploit used by Auto Root. If you want to still remain rooted, I suggest you use the pre-rooted ODIN One-Click in my signature. It basically run Option A (root) of the Auto Root package for you, using an alternate means of install.

If you want to make sure you can get back to where you started, it is best to install CWM (Option C in Auto Root) and make a CWM/Nandroid backup, storing a copy off your phone. Then you can be assured if things go bad, you can always get back to where you started. CWM won't backup the modem, but you can install the modem separately after doing the CWM/Nandroid restore. That would leave you back where you started.