[Q] Cleaning the Gorilla Glass

Search This thread

nado_x

Feb 6, 2011
I unfortunately had a nose bleed and a drop of blood fell on the Gorilla Glass screen of my Samsung Galaxy S i9000.

I used one of these wet wipes on the screen, then wiped it off with a damp paper towel. http antibac.no/alias.html?id=1034312

The solvent contains denatured alcohol, glycerol and is meant as a hand sanitizer. Now I'm worried that I've damaged the glass or Super AMOLED on the phone. Have i damaged the screen/gorilla glass?

DamianGto

Sep 17, 2010
its very very very hard to damage the screen. so if you don't see any damage then its okay.

**DamianGTO Steam kernel. 350MB Ram. 500HZ. all ext2. Steam Rom. Js5**

Auzy

Nov 18, 2010
It's a form of hardened glass, not a plasticky gimicky display.

If you wouldn't expect standard glass to be damaged, you wouldn't expect this to be...

nado_x

Feb 6, 2011
I've read different places that they have thin plastic film over the screens on various glass displays. Well the phone looks and behaves in perfect condition, I love my Galaxy S!

Ziostilon

Dec 13, 2009
i didn't have any nose bleeds

but my screen is really dusty. lots of smudges.

the sides and corners gathered quite a bit of dirt.

whats the usual method to clean it, and make it look brand new again

jonni3

Sep 17, 2010
London
Just get a decent micro-fibre cloth for cleaning the screen.

Works for me ...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

#1RAGE

Aug 29, 2010
I can't answer your question about possible damage but I can tell you what works for me.

I normally use either glasses cleaner (alcohol based) or my own solution of about 50/50 isopropyl alcohol and distilled water with a lens tissue. When I'm on the go I use Optico cleaning wipes. They work really well but they are a little more expensive than the aforementioned wipes & glasses cleaner method. http://www.optico.ca/eng/products_optico_list_1.php

I'm on my second Galaxy S but both phones never had a single scratch or damage. I love Gorilla Glass!

nado_x

Feb 6, 2011
i didn't have any nose bleeds

but my screen is really dusty. lots of smudges.

the sides and corners gathered quite a bit of dirt.

whats the usual method to clean it, and make it look brand new again

I used to get them a lot when I was a kid, rarely happens anymore... maybe a bit too much information for this forum? :)

It's a great phone, BEST phone I've owned. I only wish the battery cover was of as solid material as the rest of the phone.

xan

Retired Recognized Developer
May 21, 2006
Crack-ow
Glass is a glass, its chemically resistant to most of things like gasoline, alcohol...

scuttlemonkey2

Feb 25, 2011
my screen doesn't seem to get dirty, or smudgey? Well it gets slightly smudged when I use it but next time I get it out my pocket it's clean again. This gorilla glass seems pretty resistant to smudges :cool:

weebeast

Aug 7, 2008
LOL this happend also too me.

My bro putted a screenprotector on my mobile(not the galaxy s but the lg 2x and it also has gorilla glass). Before placing he cleaned my mobile screen with wet wipes that had a skin-friendly care lotion

It is alcohol free and also skin-friendly because of a PH of 5,5

I was reading on internet at moment about people saying that you must not do this. The coating of the mobile screen will get removed etc because of alcohol and other things.

So i don't need too worried when i read this right?

RickyBO89

Jan 15, 2011
Bologna
I've scratched my screen. It's a little scratch, but it's here and I don't understand how I made it.
What can I do?

spamtrash

Nov 9, 2008
Krasnoyarsk
When I'm on the go... The T-shirt I'm wearing does the job.
:D:D:D:D:D

Seriously now, just one thing there is NO plastic/organiglass/plexi film on the Gorilla Glass on SGS, as it wasn't on HD2.
considering that - there is no risk that any organic solvent can damage it (in fact, from inorganic chemicals, only hydrofluoric acid and strong alkalis can do it).
HOWEVER: there is ALWAYS the risk, that the solvent will penetrate, and damage the silicon/rubber seal around the glass, and will enter the phone crevices, where it MAY cause some damages to the covered by paint electronics.

bhu1

Aug 1, 2011
Jaipur
Gorilla flashgun is a pretty strong glass but still I have a very mall scratch and a big one at lower corner.

hit thankxx if i helped. sent from my mind through telepathy (ya its possible)!