[Q] Unable to get RUU 3.18

Search This thread

makemyday212

Nov 25, 2008
I'm trying to install cm 11 and I can't seem to get the 3.18 RUU to my phone. I have root, superCID, unlocked bootloader and s-off. Here is my bootloader screen currently.

***TAMPERED***
***UNLOCKED***
EVITA PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
CID-11111111
HBOOT-2.15.0000
RADIO-1.13a.32.45.16_2
OpenDSP-v33.1.0.45.1128
eMMC-boot
Aug 14 2013, 16:02:22:-1

When I attempt to run the exe file for 3.18 I just get an error message from windows with this:

>SetupNew\setup.cpp (140)
PAPP:
PVENDOR:
PGUID:
$
@Windows Vista Service Pack 0 (6000)
IE Version: 9.11.9600.17041

When I attempt to use fastboot to flash the zip file it returns one of two messages.
Either: FAILED (remote: 24 parsing android-info fail)
Or: FAILED (remote: 02 data length is too large)

Any help would be appreciated. I'm currently running 4.1.1 HatkaXL v4.7.1 with HTC sense 4+ and would much rather have a newer ROM with more features on my phone.

chrisb906

Jan 4, 2013
I think u have to run it twice. I know I had to

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

makemyday212

Nov 25, 2008
I think u have to run it twice. I know I had to

I have tried running it multiple times and it gives me the same message. I even get a windows message that tells me that "File.exe was not installed properly" and asks me to reinstall using recommended settings or this file was installed properly.

chrisb906

Jan 4, 2013
Good question. I have no answer. But I'm sure someone will post why and how

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

[/COLOR

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

I'm running ruu 5.18 with twrp 2.7 and it runs good

makemyday212

Nov 25, 2008

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

When u say zip do u mean the ruu itself?

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

I appreciate the input anyways.

As far as the zip, I first tried the exe file from the OTA and RUU collection thread then tried downloading the OTA zip file and using fastboot to install it on the device. Neither option works.

Also, I've already tried running as administrator and running in compatibility mode and that doesn't work either. I am currently running Windows 7 ultimate.

Reactions: chrisb906

cazz0409

May 5, 2014
size of the Ruu?

i downloaded the Ruu from the THC webpage for my at&t one x ,in th webpage says that the Ruu size was 784 mb and the one that i downloaded was 320 mb, i deleted it and redownload and make sure that the size is 784mb, it works, but now i have a bigger trouble, the device is stuck with the htc logo in the screen and the pc sayis sendind but doesnt progress help

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro

As far as the zip, I first tried the exe file from the OTA and RUU collection thread then tried downloading the OTA zip file and using fastboot to install it on the device. Neither option works.

Also, I've already tried running as administrator and running in compatibility mode and that doesn't work either. I am currently running Windows 7 ultimate.

You can't just flash an OTA (the zip), that isn't going to work. An OTA is an incomplete system. Plus you flash it through stock recovery, not fastboot. I think you might need to slow down and do a bit of research before going any further, just trying things willie nillie without actually knowing what you're doing is going to lead to you bricking your phone.

Are you running the RUU as an administrator?

Sent from my Evita

Last edited:
Reactions: chrisb906

makemyday212

Nov 25, 2008
You can't just flash an OTA, that isn't going to work. An OTA is an incomplete system. Plus you flash it through stock recovery, not fastboot. I think you might need to slow down and do a bit of research before going any further, just trying things willie nillie without actually knowing what you're doing is going to lead to you bricking your phone.

Sent from my Evita

Yes, as I stated in my post previously I've already tried running as an administrator and it turns up with the same error.
I have been working on this for a while and honestly the only reason I tried doing that was because the research and instructions I've tried through many many threads here regarding this problem have not worked. Otherwise I wouldn't have posted with the question.

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
Ok, but it doesn't state anywhere that you can flash an OTA on its own. Or that you flash an OTA via fastboot. My point being that trying things that aren't documented (and without knowledge of what you're doing) almost always lead to someone bricking their phone, and then that person realising after the fact that they shouldn't have been trying those things without proper knowledge. There are two ways to learn, one is slow and takes a lot of work, the other is very fast and expensive. I'm trying to save you from the latter.

Anyway, back to your main issue. You actually didn't state anywhere in your OP that you were running the RUU as an administrator, that's why I asked. Are you sure that the RUU fully downloaded correctly? Does the program even start up? Or are you greeted with errors as soon as you try to open it? What's the file size?

Sent from my Evita

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

i downloaded the Ruu from the THC webpage for my at&t one x ,in th webpage says that the Ruu size was 784 mb and the one that i downloaded was 320 mb, i deleted it and redownload and make sure that the size is 784mb, it works, but now i have a bigger trouble, the device is stuck with the htc logo in the screen and the pc sayis sendind but doesnt progress help

You can't just hijack someone else's active thread like that, please create your own thread in the q&a section.

Sent from my Evita

Last edited:
Reactions: makemyday212

makemyday212

Nov 25, 2008
Ok, but it doesn't state anywhere that you can flash an OTA on its own. Or that you flash an OTA via fastboot. My point being that trying things that aren't documented (and without knowledge of what you're doing) almost always lead to someone bricking their phone, and then that person realising after the fact that they shouldn't have been trying those things without proper knowledge. There are two ways to learn, one is slow and takes a lot of work, the other is very fast and expensive. I'm trying to save you from the latter.

Anyway, back to your main issue. You actually didn't state anywhere in your OP that you were running the RUU as an administrator, that's why I asked. Are you sure that the RUU fully downloaded correctly? Does the program even start up? Or are you greeted with errors as soon as you try to open it? What's the file size?

Sent from my Evita

Well I appreciate you looking out, and after reading through a lot of the threads on here I know you are more versed in the technical aspects of this than I. I'm sure you have to deal with that a lot on here, but just so we are both on the same page, that isn't the case in this situation. My phone is still fine, I'm just trying to figure out why this won't work.

As for the main issue, I'm apologize, you are correct. I didn't state that in my main post. It was in response to another user. I can't say I'm 100% sure because i haven't checked, but I have downloaded the same file from about 3 different locations on this forum and have tried each multiple times with the same results. The file name is "RUU_EVITA_UL_JB_45_S_Cingular_US_3.18.502.6_Radio_0.24p.32.09.06_10.130.32.34_release_signed_With_Partial.exe". The file size of all 3 of them are 79.4MB. Just for some extra information, I've also tried the 5.18 RUU exe file which is 621 MB file name is "HTC_One_X_RUU_5.18.502.1.exe." I have only downloaded that file from one source and only one time so I can't verify against another file size on that. Although that file returns the same error message as the others. Do you think I could have corrupted downloads?

And again I appreciate the help. I'm sorry if it seems I'm over-explaining things. I just want to give any possible information that could be relevant to the issue.

makemyday212

Nov 25, 2008
After doing a little more looking on the size of the files, I have discovered that for whatever reason, my google chrome browser was not fully downloading the file no matter what source I was downloading from. I downloaded the file using IE from a link you provided in another thread (which I tried on chrome but did not complete fully) and now have the full file downloaded. I am currently running the RUU on my computer and the process seems to be going smoothly. Thanks for the heads up on that, something so simple that I didn't even consider due to having downloaded the same file multiple times from different sources and didn't even begin to suspect my web browser. Haha. I will reply here again with the results after I've tried flashing the ROM to my phone. Thanks again for the input timmaaa!

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
Well I appreciate you looking out, and after reading through a lot of the threads on here I know you are more versed in the technical aspects of this than I. I'm sure you have to deal with that a lot on here, but just so we are both on the same page, that isn't the case in this situation. My phone is still fine, I'm just trying to figure out why this won't work.

I wasn't really talking about what you're specifically doing right now, I meant trying things without a proper knowledge of them in general. Continue doing that and the chances of a brick happening are fairly high.

Sent from my Evita

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

After doing a little more looking on the size of the files, I have discovered that for whatever reason, my google chrome browser was not fully downloading the file no matter what source I was downloading from. I downloaded the file using IE from a link you provided in another thread (which I tried on chrome but did not complete fully) and now have the full file downloaded. I am currently running the RUU on my computer and the process seems to be going smoothly. Thanks for the heads up on that, something so simple that I didn't even consider due to having downloaded the same file multiple times from different sources and didn't even begin to suspect my web browser. Haha. I will reply here again with the results after I've tried flashing the ROM to my phone. Thanks again for the input timmaaa!

Chrome can be a bit funny like that sometimes, especially when you're downloading exe files, it automatically flags them as dangerous and screws the download. You can recover the file through the Chrome download menu I think. Anyway, it looks like you're probably sorted out now though which is great, let us know about your progress and feel free to ask any questions if you're not sure about something. There are some really valuable links in my signature too.

Sent from my Evita

makemyday212

Nov 25, 2008
I wasn't really talking about what you're specifically doing right now, I meant trying things without a proper knowledge of them in general. Continue doing that and the chances of a brick happening are fairly high.

Sent from my Evita

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

Chrome can be a bit funny like that sometimes, especially when you're downloading exe files, it automatically flags them as dangerous and screws the download. You can recover the file through the Chrome download menu I think. Anyway, it looks like you're probably sorted out now though which is great, let us know about your progress and feel free to ask any questions if you're not sure about something. There are some really valuable links in my signature too.

Sent from my Evita

Yeah it's all gravy. I've got CM 11 installed and running on here just fine. Thanks for all the help!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

When u say zip do u mean the ruu itself?

You can't just flash an OTA (the zip), that isn't going to work. An OTA is an incomplete system. Plus you flash it through stock recovery, not fastboot. I think you might need to slow down and do a bit of research before going any further, just trying things willie nillie without actually knowing what you're doing is going to lead to you bricking your phone.

Sent from my Evita

Sent from my Evita

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

You can't just hijack someone else's active thread like that, please create your own thread in the q&a section.

Sent from my Evita