Any reason to by the Moto X Developer over the Regular?

Search This thread

scooby-snack

Sep 11, 2009
Hey All-

Looking at buying the Moto X Developer Edition for Verizon... is there any benefit to it over the regular edition?

Thanks-

Scoob

D

Darth

Actually though, the only absolute difference between the Dev edition and other models that CAN have their bootloader unlocked is the Dev edition keeps it warranty. ?

So it isn't your only option. Just can't buy retail Verizon, AT&T or Republic wireless if you want to unlock it.

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Actually though, the only absolute difference between the Dev edition and other models that CAN have their bootloader unlocked is the Dev edition keeps it warranty. ?

So it isn't your only option. Just can't buy retail Verizon, AT&T or Republic wireless if you want to unlock it.
The way you worded that might be confusing to some joining us late.

So just to clarify...

What @KJ mentions above is correct from a technical stand point. Other than the memory size (retail and moto maker for VZW are available as both 16gig and 32gig, where as Dev Ed for VZW is 32 only) they are the same "guts".

The retail and motomaker for verizon, att and republic wireless can also have their bootloaders unlocked *IF* you can get the bootloader unlock code (which Moto does not give out, so you have to hope the China Middleman can help).

*Requesting* the code from Moto's web site, or using the code from the China Middleman will void your warranty unless you have a Developer Edition X.

Reactions: scooby-snack

scooby-snack

Sep 11, 2009

So just to clarify...

What @KJ mentions above is correct from a technical stand point. Other than the memory size (retail and moto maker for VZW are available as both 16gig and 32gig, where as Dev Ed for VZW is 32 only) they are the same "guts".

The retail and motomaker for verizon, att and republic wireless can also have their bootloaders unlocked *IF* you can get the bootloader unlock code (which Moto does not give out, so you have to hope the China Middleman can help).

*Requesting* the code from Moto's web site, or using the code from the China Middleman will void your warranty unless you have a Developer Edition X.

Thanks for the great replies :) I feel that I got a great buy (even though the X+1 will be out soon) Paid just under $300 for a new Dev Model. Are there any benefits to going with a CM ROM over the Stock Rom? I don't want to lose any of the great features that the Stock Rom has... however I do like having the additional tweaks here and there as long as the Rom is Rock Stable. Thanks again for the detailed information! Makes this site hands down the best around!

-Scoob

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Thanks for the great replies :) I feel that I got a great buy (even though the X+1 will be out soon) Paid just under $300 for a new Dev Model. Are there any benefits to going with a CM ROM over the Stock Rom? I don't want to lose any of the great features that the Stock Rom has... however I do like having the additional tweaks here and there as long as the Rom is Rock Stable. Thanks again for the detailed information! Makes this site hands down the best around!

-Scoob

You can try it and see if you like it (CM, that is). You WILL lose active display and touchless controls.

My personal preference is Stock ROM + Xposed/GravityBox (Xposed + GravityBox Module gives you most of the tweaks that you get with CM). But of course, the best ROM for YOU is which ever you prefer. If you flash CM, you can always restore the backup of your stock ROM, so long as you make one ;)

See the "One stop shop" rooting reference by @KJ for details on how to unlock and root your Dev Edition once you receive it.

Good Luck! And enjoy your X. Wise decision going with the Dev edition...

cpetersen2791

Mar 12, 2009
Google Pixel XL
Google Pixel 2 XL

-Scoob

Stock Rom + Root + Gravity Box via Xposed is all you'll need for customization. I am finding it hard to stay on an AOSP rom with the stock configuration available.

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Awesome! Thanks for the great information. I enable double tap to wake with the Xposed setup if I'm not mistaken?

-Scoob

I believe that there is a module for that...but it will drain your battery quickly. We don't have a low-voltage core for double-tap to wake on the X. As a result (If I'm not mistaken), using this feature puts a wake-lock on the device which is very bad for battery life. Best to just use active display...as soon as you pick up or move the device, the AD lock screen will trigger without you having to press the power button. The you can just slide the lock over to unlock.

Personally, I don't see a benefit to double-tap-to-wake over stock AD.

scooby-snack

Sep 11, 2009
I believe that there is a module for that...but it will drain your battery quickly. We don't have a low-voltage core for double-tap to wake on the X. As a result (If I'm not mistaken), using this feature puts a wake-lock on the device which is very bad for battery life. Best to just use active display...as soon as you pick up or move the device, the AD lock screen will trigger without you having to press the power button. The you can just slide the lock over to unlock.

Ahh perfect- I wasn't aware that the Moto X would wake on movement alone! How cool :) It will be interesting to see how the X+1 looks- I will for sure purchase it if it is manageable in one hand, stereo FF speakers etc. The Moto X for me will get me by until the X+1 comes out if it is in fact a good revision :)

Thank you again for your helpful advice-

Scoob

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey All-

Looking at buying the Moto X Developer Edition for Verizon... is there any benefit to it over the regular edition?

Thanks-

Scoob
    Being able to unlock the bootloader and root regardless of Android version is the major selling point for the dev edition over the retail/motomaker.

So just to clarify...

-Scoob

You can try it and see if you like it (CM, that is). You WILL lose active display and touchless controls.

My personal preference is Stock ROM + Xposed/GravityBox (Xposed + GravityBox Module gives you most of the tweaks that you get with CM). But of course, the best ROM for YOU is which ever you prefer. If you flash CM, you can always restore the backup of your stock ROM, so long as you make one ;)

See the "One stop shop" rooting reference by @KJ for details on how to unlock and root your Dev Edition once you receive it.

Good Luck! And enjoy your X. Wise decision going with the Dev edition...

-Scoob

Stock Rom + Root + Gravity Box via Xposed is all you'll need for customization. I am finding it hard to stay on an AOSP rom with the stock configuration available.
    Awesome! Thanks for the great information. I enable double tap to wake with the Xposed setup if I'm not mistaken?

-Scoob