Multitasking is a joke on the One X!

Search This thread

NextNexus

Jan 19, 2007
What in the world did HTC do to Android ICS mulitasking!? Apps seem to be completely removed from cache every single time they're closed for ~30 seconds. They also no longer re-open in the same state that you left them! If I leave the browser, it needs to reload the web page. If I leave a game, I need to start from the beginning. If I pause and exit Slacker radio for a minute, the app closes and I can't even resume my music with the headphones button! I need to re-open the app and start playing all over again.

With my old Galaxy Nexus I never had ANY of these issues and multitasking was clearly the best of any smartphone on the market. HTC has completely crippled this device and it's becoming more and more frustrating (push email notifications & sms notifications are a whole other mess). It seems HTC has created Sense to focus more on preserving battery than focusing on creating a good user experience. The first few days with the phone were great but as more and more of these "instances" pop up, this phone is beginning to seem less and less powerful and intuitive.

Last edited:

mobilehavoc

Mar 12, 2006
What in the world did HTC do to Android ICS mulitasking!? Apps seem to be completely removed from cache every single time they're closed for ~30 seconds. They also no longer re-open in the same state that you left them! If I leave the browser, it needs to reload the web page. If I leave a game, I need to start from the beginning. If I pause and exit Slacker radio for a minute, the app closes and I can't even resume my music with the headphones button! I need to re-open the app and start playing all over again.

With my old Galaxy Nexus I never had ANY of these issues and multitasking was clearly the best of any smartphone on the market. HTC has completely crippled this device and it's becoming more and more frustrating (push email notifications & sms notifications are a whole other mess). It seems HTC has created Sense to focus more on preserving battery than focusing on creating a good user experience. The first few days with the phone were great but as more and more of these "instances" pop up, this phone is beginning to seem less and less powerful and intuitive.

I agree, they're using very aggressive memory management.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

aimetti

Nov 23, 2011
Ya its not even like saved state. Its just a new icon for your previously opened apps.

This is one area where I wish I still had my gnex. HOwever everything else is better on this phone.

mastibeta

Jun 14, 2010
Tampa Fl
With root available, you can probably tweak this a bit with the likes of auto killer, or a similar min free tweaking app.

NextNexus

Jan 19, 2007
Music works fine, hell it even remember my last song and position played after a reboot, using htc music.

HTC Music is an HTC developed app so it's possible they tweaked their own app to work well. I listen to most of my music online and prefer Slacker radio which has been nothing short of a disaster with this device b/c of the multitasking issues.

mastibeta

Jun 14, 2010
Tampa Fl
With auto killer, i just tested, and i can keep 3 apps running in the memory. Try it out.

edit* scratch that, i tryed after a few minutes of inactivity, reloads.

Last edited:

spyz88

Oct 28, 2008
I believe the reason they are using such aggressive memory management is because on the One X International Version Sense would constantly crash and you would see the "loading" screen.

Frankly I dont know which is more annoying...

NextNexus

Jan 19, 2007
Does the music play in the background ( while using navigation or a browser ) ?

Music works in the background for me while it's playing (even Slacker). But if I pause the music for a minute to go do something, it's impossible for me to begin playing from where I left off and I have to re-open the app and start playing a song from the beginning. It's very annoying.

wrxdrunkie

Nov 14, 2008
I believe the reason they are using such aggressive memory management is because on the One X International Version Sense would constantly crash and you would see the "loading" screen.

Frankly I dont know which is more annoying...

Oh it still does that also, but it isn't a crash, it happens when you go back to the home screen, you just see "loading"

I am just hoping the phone is still fast and has good battery life once/if this is fixed.

NextNexus

Jan 19, 2007
I made two videos of the problem:

If I just tried to copy and paste these links and make this post on my one x it would have never worked, would have kept reloading the page and forget everything I typed. Lol.

Thank you for portraying what I mean...but your issue is even WORSE than mine. If I switch back to an app THAT quickly it won't reload like that. For me, it has to be around 30 seconds.

Qwest905

Aug 9, 2010
i'm guessing that's why my simiclock doesn't update after i don't touch my phone for a long period of time (overnight)

BBock9

Feb 27, 2011
In the developer settings, there is an option to set the limit of background processes. The default is set to "standard limit." Does anyone know what this limit is, or if changing it to 4 processes might actually help?

Edit: just tried and it clearly does not help.

Last edited:

onthezone

Mar 12, 2007
Try going to settings developer opinions and look under apps and make sure those settings are to your liking. It has a setting for turning off apps right away and how many apps can run in the background.

Edit: I keep on going in and out of apps trying this but unless I'm out for like 5 min its not making me start over Pandora. Try clicking and unclicking apps close right away.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

Last edited:

craig0r

Sep 24, 2008
Toronto
The issue definitely needs addressing, and I'm sure it's not a "what was HTC thinking" situation so much as a bug that they'll fix.

I've noticed the issue myself, but it hasn't annoyed me to the point of complaining. Maybe it's better on my phone. It'll almost certainly depend on what background services you have running. By that, I mean GMail, Email, Twitter/Facebook updates, playing music. Also, some apps seem to handle multitasking pretty well. NFS Hot Pursuit was obviously coded to accommodate Android multitasking, as I can quit it, check my email/twitter, maybe browse a website, and when I go back to NFS, it's on the pause screen and I can pick up the race where I left off.

Different processes receive different priorities as far as Android memory management go. If you're playing music (in HTC Music, Play Music, PowerAmp, etc,) then Android recognizes that this app is actively doing something, even if you consecutively load up every other app on your phone. You can go back to the music app and it won't have to reload anything. That's just an example. Other apps can do this too, as long as the programmers coded it right. I'm guessing NFS Hot Pursuit does this as I've never had a problem with it.

Of course, none of that excuses the poor multitasking, since the gnex seems much better at it. (And I'm assuming you people who have tried both have been running virtually identical apps on each phone.)

I don't know a ton about memory management and multitasking in Android, so I could only speculate as to where the problem really lies. Could be that Sense takes up too much memory (surprise surprise!), could be that HTC made the memory management too agressive, could be weird other things that I don't even know about, such as some sort of time-out for background apps.

I'm going to do some playing around and let you know if I can find any ways to improve it easily.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I made two videos of the problem:

If I just tried to copy and paste these links and make this post on my one x it would have never worked, would have kept reloading the page and forget everything I typed. Lol.
    I'm all for people on here looking for answers/complaining etc...however, to see the same person repeat the same complaint over and over again in multiple threads gets real old. Ditch the phone already...tired of your whining!

If you're really tired of it and your phone is working perfectly, then drop your subscription to this thread and troll elsewhere. You literally have no reason to even monitor this thread other than to troll and no one wants you here.

We purchased the phone expecting a certain level of operation. The One X does not deliver it and we are talking about it. Deal with it. This wouldn't have been such a surprise if ANY of the reviewers had caught it, but not a single one mentioned it, so we came here to compare notes, hoping that we were wrong.

You have nothing valuable to add to this discussion, so GTFO.
    Go to settings->Apps->All tab and pick the app you don't like, tap on it, there will be a disable button for you to disable the app.

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

How do you come to that conclusion when my GSM Galaxy Nexus lasts over 24 hours on a charge with real multitasking? My Galaxy Note and Skyrocket did fine as well and they didn't have broken multitasking.

2 days = 48 hrs > 24 hrs. :)
    Ya its not even like saved state. Its just a new icon for your previously opened apps.

This is one area where I wish I still had my gnex. HOwever everything else is better on this phone.