[Q] Soft Bricked - No storage - Wont flash stock recovery

Search This thread

RootedDesire

Feb 28, 2011
Hope, B.C.
I was texting on my phone when it crashed. I was running SlimKat official release with franco kernel 25 for two weeks. Phone had been running great! Now it bootloops on the google logo and doesn't recognize the 32gb of memory. Wont mount any of the partitions in recovery. When in recovery (TWRP) and I opt to reboot to bootloader or reboot is says NO OS. Now as well all I can do with fastboot is relock the phone. I wanted to reflash the recovery to stock as Google will exchange the phone. When I try and flash the stock recovery in the terminal command window everything looks like its flashing good however when I boot into recovery it still boots TWRP.
Help please. :crying:

Zepius

Mar 29, 2011
what do you mean all you can do is relock the phone in fastboot? that doesnt make sense.

what commands are you trying to do when you flash the stock recovery?

El Daddy

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2008
Roseville, MN
Flash the entire factory image. If you get errors your eMMC is probably toast and you should warranty it.

Sent from my Nexus 5

GUGUITOMTG4

Oct 26, 2011
GuGuPlace
did you use toolkit for rooting?
You ask because of his troubleshooting expertise or because you think that toolkits and CF.. are killing emmc?
I have seen this problem from people using the manual method and the toolkits as well.
I strongly think that the question to ask is whether they have a 16GB or 32GB phone.

Simonna

Apr 8, 2013
You ask because of his troubleshooting expertise or because you think that toolkits and CF.. are killing emmc?
I have seen this problem from people using the manual method and the toolkits as well.
I strongly think that the question to ask is whether they have a 16GB or 32GB phone.

I think that toolkits are killing emmc because I saw more users who used toolkits for rooting, and then their phones just dead.But maybe it's just a coincidence..

bitdomo

Nov 3, 2011
Göd
Toolkits does not kill emmc. This is just coincidence.

emmc died on the phone

Tapatalk-kal küldve az én Nexus 5-el

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
I think that toolkits are killing emmc because I saw more users who used toolkits for rooting, and then their phones just dead.But maybe it's just a coincidence..

I don't think it's tool kits either. Keep in mind that more people use tool kits than don't. So even though you see more of what appears to be emmc failure with tool kit users there are more of them. I've seen it with people who have not used tool kits a well as those that have.

Sent from my Nexus 5

theesotericone

Sep 22, 2013
I don't think it's tool kits either. Keep in mind that more people use tool kits than don't. So even though you see more of what appears to be emmc failure with tool kit users there are more of them. I've seen it with people who have not used tool kits a well as those that have.

Sent from my Nexus 5

It's not toolkits. It's the luck of the draw. How many N5's sold compared to how many that have had fried nand is what needs to be looked at. That figure is going to be very hard to come by. It could be a normal percentage of failure or it could be high or low. Did Google cheap out on the memory to make the phone more affordable? Or did they put quality memory in and cut some other corners as well as cut their profit margin? All questions that none of us on XDA will, most likely, ever know. The one thing you can be certain of though, toolkits aren't the cause of these failures.

-DarkKnight-

Mar 14, 2011
Gotham
I also had this problem, I couldn't do anyting. I left it sitting there for the night.

The next morning, it booted up like nothing happened

RootedDesire

Feb 28, 2011
Hope, B.C.
Flash the entire factory image. If you get errors your eMMC is probably toast and you should warranty it.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Google says they will warranty it however the bootloader wont stay locked and fastboot says it successfully flashes the stock recovery.
But when I reboot the phone into bootloader it says unlocked again and the recovery stays TWRP no matter what I flash. Im lost. It doesn't make any sense....
Looks like I may have to send it in as is however I'm concerned they wont warranty it when they get it back unlocked with TWRP.

Last edited:

RootedDesire

Feb 28, 2011
Hope, B.C.
IMG_20140306_000804.jpg

IMG_20140306_000824.jpg

google says they will warranty it however the bootloader wont stay locked and fastboot says it successfully flashes the stock recovery.
But when i reboot the phone into bootloader it says unlocked again and the recovery stays twrp no matter what i flash. Im lost. It doesn't make any sense....
Looks like i may have to send it in as is however i'm concerned they wont warranty it when they get it back unlocked with twrp.

El Daddy

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2008
Roseville, MN
Google says they will warranty it however the bootloader wont stay locked and fastboot says it successfully flashes the stock recovery.
But when I reboot the phone into bootloader it says unlocked again and the recovery stays TWRP no matter what I flash. Im lost. It doesn't make any sense....
Looks like I may have to send it in as is however I'm concerned they wont warranty it when they get it back unlocked with TWRP.

That's because your eMMC is dead. It can't be written to.

Sent from my Nexus 5

XeeV

May 29, 2011
yet another brick in the wall

Just got the same issue. TWRP show internal storage size 0. Can't flash anything. Can't lock.

Is somebody researching this problem? I have several JetFlash USB drives. Sometimes they becomes read-only. But with their software I can "unbrick" these drives. Maybe, we can find a solution for our Nexus 5. I can participate in testing.

Last edited:

exb0

Oct 24, 2010
PNW
freshair.farm
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Just got the same issue. TWRP show internal storage size 0. Can't flash anything. Can't lock.

Does somebody researching this problem? I have several JetFlash USB drives. Sometimes they becomes read-only. But with their software I can "unbrick" these drives. Maybe, we can find a solution for our Nexus 5. I can participate in testing.

Highly unlikely. AFAIK when your eMMC is dead, it's dead forever.

XeeV

May 29, 2011
Highly unlikely. AFAIK when your eMMC is dead, it's dead forever.

But it's not dead. It is readable. I can't write. But, maybe there is a workaround like with JetFlash USB drives. I have 2 JetFlash sticks. They became read-only: I could read, but could't write, even with dd or fdisk (they works OK, but after reinserting everything is as it was before). But there is a software: it erases JetFlash drives and I can write again.

Pawelss

Aug 4, 2009

Is somebody researching this problem? I have several JetFlash USB drives. Sometimes they becomes read-only. But with their software I can "unbrick" these drives. Maybe, we can find a solution for our Nexus 5. I can participate in testing.

I had the same issue yesterday, I reflashed stock via fastboot and it fixed the issue, I couldnt flash/wipe/connect to adb or anything, when I tried to mount it showed internal storage size 0, so I went back to the bootloader and flashed all the stock stuff via fastboot and it did the trick for me.

XeeV

May 29, 2011
I had the same issue yesterday, I reflashed stock via fastboot and it fixed the issue, I couldnt flash/wipe/connect to adb or anything, when I tried to mount it showed internal storage size 0, so I went back to the bootloader and flashed all the stock stuff via fastboot and it did the trick for me.

I can reflash a stock, but it writes nothing. It only shows, that it's writing. I can flash CWM instead TWRP. But after a reboot there will be my old TWRP. I can do "fastboot oem lock" and it show "locked", but after reboot it show "unlocked". All is read-only but no errors when writing.

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 PM ----------

Nexus 5 has Sandisk SDIN8DE4. In datasheet there is "Enhanced Write Protection":
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To allow the host to protect data against erase or write, the iNAND supports two levels of write
protect command 10 :
• The entire iNAND (including the Boot Area Partitions, General Purpose Area Partition, and
User/Enhanced User Data Area Partition) may be write-protected by setting the permanent
or temporary write protect bits in the CSD.
• Specific segments of the iNAND may be permanently, power-on or temporarily write
protected. Segment size can be programmed via the EXT_CSD register.
For additional information please refer JESD84-A441 standard.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and "H/W Reset":
Hardware reset may be used by host to reset the device, moving the card to a Pre-idle state and
disabling the power-on period write protect on blocks that was set as power-on write protect before
the reset was asserted. For more information, refer to JESD84-A441 standard.

Maybe, there is a way to turn off write protection of just do a hardware reset (but no to loose bootloader)?

Is anybody here familiar with eMMC, chips and JESD84-A441 standard?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

That's because your eMMC is dead. It can't be written to.

Sent from my Nexus 5