[How-To] Update to Official GPE Android 5.0 UDNL3 (12-12-2014)

Search This thread

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
I am sure you will soon begin seeing some Custom ROM's based on today's GPE 5.0 release. In the meantime here is a method to start enjoying 100% Stock GPE 5.0 now!

Instructions:
1. I recommend that you use the latest TWRP v2.8.4.0.
2. Perform and Advanced Wipe and wipe "Dalvick Cache", "System", "Data", and "Cache."
3. Flash the I9505GUEUDNL3_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip
4. Last, press "Home" then press "Reboot," reboot into "Download Mode" and flash the M919_NK2_Stock_Modem+Bootloader.tar.md5 in Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v.3.09+). Done!

Tip: For blazing fast speed turn off animations from developer options and reboot.

Notes:
1. 5.0 seems to require the 4.4.4 modem/non-hlos otherwise security settings will force close. Therefore as of 12/14 the above process will also update your modem/non-hlos + bootloader to NK2(4.4.4) in order to ensure a consistent user experience.
2. The NK2 modem may not stick on your first attempt when flashing the modem + bootloader file in Odin. Should that happen re-flash the file until it sticks.

Alternative Odin Method:
1. Extract the I9505G_UDNL3_GPE_5.0_for_M919.tar and flash in Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).
2. Power down and boot into stock recovery and perform a factory data reset. Done!

Notes:
1. This is a pre-rooted "All-in-One" Odin package which will update your System and Kernel to 100% stock GPE 5.0 and your Modem, Non-hlos, Recovery, and Bootloader to NK2.
2. The NK2 modem may not stick on the first attempt causing security settings to force close. If that happens flash the M919_NK2_Stock_Modem+Bootloader.tar.md5 until it sticks.

XDA:DevDB Information
[How-To] Update to Official GPE Android 5.0 UDNL3 (12-12-2014), ROM for the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S 4

Contributors
muniz_ri
ROM OS Version: GPE 5.0

Version Information

Created 2014-12-12
Last Updated 2014-12-29

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-12-13-18-45-06.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-12-13-18-45-06.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 7,938
  • Screenshot_2014-12-13-18-47-28.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-12-13-18-47-28.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 8,040
  • Screenshot_2014-12-13-18-47-53.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-12-13-18-47-53.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 7,806
  • Screenshot_2014-12-13-18-48-11.png
    Screenshot_2014-12-13-18-48-11.png
    80.4 KB · Views: 7,771
  • Screenshot_2014-12-13-18-48-20.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-12-13-18-48-20.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 7,644
Last edited:

buntobo

Jul 17, 2012
does this have the knox and all that nonsense with the voided warranty stuff?
just wondering.

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
just wondering.

Are you referring to data drops without a knox bootloader? I'm assuming that will likely be an issue with this ROM but I'm on a knox BL and have not experienced any issues. As for warranty my warranty was void a long time ago so don't know. Others will have to chime in on that.

Reactions: Yousvel

Vigz

Sep 16, 2012
just wondering.

Knox is dependent on which Android version of TouchWiz you're running. It is on 4.3 and 4.4.2. If you are on TouchWiz 4.2.2, you can flash this rom without dealing with any of the Knox warranty crap at all.

EDIT: So far it works, but I get a FC on Settings everytime I access Security. If I remember correctly, it can be fixed if keystore.msm8960.so is deleted in /system/lib/hw

Last edited:

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
Knox is dependent on which Android version of TouchWiz you're running. It is on 4.3 and 4.4.2. If you are on TouchWiz 4.2.2, you can flash this rom without dealing with any of the Knox warranty crap at all.

EDIT: So far it works, but I get a FC on Settings everytime I access Security. If I remember correctly, it can be fixed if keystore.msm8960.so is deleted in /system/lib/hw

Yes, deleting the keystore file solves that issue. I will upload a new version of the ROM without that file. Thanks for the heads-up!

Reactions: Vigz

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
This is a great Rom. I've been using it for a 2 days now and have 0 problems. why not move it to S4 Android Development?

Thanks, glad to hear it's working well.

And since I kept it completely stock I'm not sure it meets the criteria to be in the development section. Anyway I put it together for my own use and just put it out there in case anyone wanted to try it out. Enjoy

youngwake

Oct 22, 2008
Washington, DC

And since I kept it completely stock I'm not sure it meets the criteria to be in the development section. Anyway I put it together for my own use and just put it out there in case anyone wanted to try it out. Enjoy

Works great. I personally think people would enjoy this awesome rom. But hey I totally understand what you mean. I am glad I found it...3 days running..zero issues :good:

Reactions: muniz_ri

dawgdoc96

Feb 8, 2013
I enjoy this ROM. everything running smoothly, I'm using art, too. No glitches at all. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Reactions: muniz_ri

youngwake

Oct 22, 2008
Washington, DC

are you going to do a 4.4.4? I've been checking to see if you updated. anyways, just wondering

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am sure you will soon begin seeing some Custom ROM's based on today's GPE 5.0 release. In the meantime here is a method to start enjoying 100% Stock GPE 5.0 now!

Instructions:
    1. I recommend that you use the latest TWRP v2.8.4.0.
    2. Perform and Advanced Wipe and wipe "Dalvick Cache", "System", "Data", and "Cache."
    3. Flash the I9505GUEUDNL3_100%_Stock_Rooted_ROM.zip
    4. Last, press "Home" then press "Reboot," reboot into "Download Mode" and flash the M919_NK2_Stock_Modem+Bootloader.tar.md5 in Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v.3.09+). Done!

Tip: For blazing fast speed turn off animations from developer options and reboot.

Notes:
    1. 5.0 seems to require the 4.4.4 modem/non-hlos otherwise security settings will force close. Therefore as of 12/14 the above process will also update your modem/non-hlos + bootloader to NK2(4.4.4) in order to ensure a consistent user experience.
    2. The NK2 modem may not stick on your first attempt when flashing the modem + bootloader file in Odin. Should that happen re-flash the file until it sticks.

Alternative Odin Method:
    1. Extract the I9505G_UDNL3_GPE_5.0_for_M919.tar and flash in Odin's PDA slot(AP in Odin v3.09+).
    2. Power down and boot into stock recovery and perform a factory data reset. Done!

Notes:
    1. This is a pre-rooted "All-in-One" Odin package which will update your System and Kernel to 100% stock GPE 5.0 and your Modem, Non-hlos, Recovery, and Bootloader to NK2.
    2. The NK2 modem may not stick on the first attempt causing security settings to force close. If that happens flash the M919_NK2_Stock_Modem+Bootloader.tar.md5 until it sticks.

XDA:DevDB Information
    [How-To] Update to Official GPE Android 5.0 UDNL3 (12-12-2014), ROM for the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S 4

Contributors
    muniz_ri
    ROM OS Version: GPE 5.0

Version Information

Created 2014-12-12
    Last Updated 2014-12-29
    [How-To] Update to GPE Android 5.0 UDNL3

Just added a method to the OP to update to 5.0.0. Enjoy!
    Now this list may not be exclusive to TW roms, but these are the features that I have

if you could list some specific TW apps and features that you miss.

Panamon, I dont miss them - I can't live without them!
    • TW dialer that has this great Call Rejection Feature that is not common with other Roms
    • TW has a great camera / video with 12 different shooting modes that put my mini cannon to shame
    • TW has a Blocker mode that I use when I am in meetings
    • TW roms has the Power Saver mode that I just set and forget, helps me squeeze battery life longer
    • TW roms has the nifty LED indicator for 100% charge, low charge notifications and such
    • TW rom has a unique way of bring a message from texting right to the home screen, other types of roms, you have to search for it or look for another indicator to let you know that you have received a message.
    • TW has a developers option that you can tweak the rom further to shut off animations and such, not sure if this only with TW, but there are a boat load of options that can be tweaked once you enable it.

Now this list may not be exclusive to TW roms, but these are the features that I have count on.
    Panamon, I dont miss them - I can't live without them!
    • TW dialer that has this great Call Rejection Feature that is not common with other Roms
    • TW has a great camera / video with 12 different shooting modes that put my mini cannon to shame
    • TW roms has the Power Saver mode that I just set and forget, helps me squeeze battery life longer
    • TW roms has the nifty LED indicator for 100% charge, low charge notifications and such
    • TW rom has a unique way of bring a message from texting right to the home screen, other types of roms, you have to search for it or look for another indicator to let you know that you have received a message.
    • TW has a developers option that you can tweak the rom further to shut off animations and such, not sure if this only with TW, but there are a boat load of options that can be tweaked once you enable it.

Now this list may not be exclusive to TW roms, but these are the features that I have count on.

I hear ya on the blocking mode. I do like that and have yet to find a direct replacement. Anyone have any suggestions?

For call rejection I use RCB (Root Call Blocker). I use this for mildly irritating to how the f did they get my number contacts. The advantage here is that it can be set to NOT send them to voice mail, it just kills their call and they have no options :good:, plus it expertly rejects any texts from my blacklisters as well. for the other less annoying contacts I have a silent ringtone that I set them up with. My list of fools is small so setting them up after an install is no big deal and RCB backs up to Dropbox so it sets back up very quickly.
    For meetings and such I use Shush! to silence my ringer for a default or adjustable amount of time after which it remembers to turn the ringer back on for me. I use this one several times a day.
    I get ridiculous battery life as I have the big 7500mAh Hyperion battery. 2+ days normal to heavy use easy without needing to use any battery tweaks. Bonus is that it makes the phone easier for me to hold and the TPU case that it comes with has saved my phone on more than one occasion. It was $40 and worth every penny.
    The camera as far as I can tell takes good pics and videos. Bonus is that with GPE ROMS I can swipe to the left from my secure lock screen and the cameras are ready to shoot. Sammy disables this and the Exposed module I used to use to get this feature back doesn't work anymore on the newer TW ROMS.
    I rarely look to the LED to get info. I use Exposed and XuiMod module to get a battery bar across the top. If the bar gets red then it's my own fault because It's been days since I've charged the battery. If the screen is off I know it's asleep and hardly using any battery.
    Since my Vibrant days I learned to love NoLED. Shows contact pics and reminds me every 10 minutes, (my choice), that I have calls, messages or emails to attend to.
    Developer Options exist, I think you have to click the build number several time to activate the option, but animation scales and all that are there. I haven't needed to adjust my animations because the phone is much more responsive than with TW ROMs.

Again, at least for me, the lightness of the GPE ROMS are great and worth the price of admission. Exposed modules work correctly and I use a buttload of them.
    Here is a screenshot of the modules I use. (XuiMod didn't make it into the capture.)
    This is a great Rom. I've been using it for a 2 days now and have 0 problems. why not move it to S4 Android Development?