My new findings about the HTC Camera App!

Search This thread

Try4Ce

Jul 29, 2010
NRW
Hey guys!

Seems like the original HTC Camera App is quite a bugger. Sure, it's interface is fancy and intuitive with quite the features, but hear me out.

I bought Camera Zoom FX back in the days and loved to use it with my Galaxy S2 since it produced some wonderful shots for me.
I tried it out now on my One X device, and there I made quite a discovery.

First of all, I did 2 test shots for each camera, so in total 4.
The first one I did outside, cloudy sky, slight rain -> white concrete wall. Makro shot. The second on I did indoors, closed room, artificial light (bad light condition).

Second is: I'll also write down the filesize of the photos. The difference is, least to say, overwhelming.

Another point is: As soon as I took a shot with the HTC camera app, I simply can't take any photos anymore with Camera Zoom FX. Camera screen stays black after a shot, photo doesnt get saved, app needs to be killed. It will only work again after a reboot. Seems like the HTC camera app not only applies heavy compression and somewhat dark lighting, but also causes glitches and issues within the system regarding the camera api.

Enough talk, see for yourself:
Keep in mind, I didnt use LED flash, nor HDR. Simple setup, no color corrections or post processing. Those are raw, untouched images down there!

Macro - Cloudy Sky, Slight Rain, White concrete wall

HTC camera (Original: 2,14 MB)
7070775807_83eb4df9ef_c.jpg

Camera Zoom FX (Original: 4,48 MB)
6924698610_9e3dd62b94_c.jpg

Autofocus - Indoor, closed room, poor light condition, artificial light

HTC camera (Original: 1,50 MB)
6924698826_ce02977eeb_c.jpg

Camera Zoom FX (Original: 4,80 MB)
7070776479_facca24eb3_c.jpg

Okay, guys. Now that you've seen those shots, what are your thoughts and impressions? To me, the color, brightness and sharpness looks ALOT better with Camera Zoom FX. PLUS - focusing seems to be much more stable on Camera Zoom FX, and its still FAST. Maybe its a little too bright with CZFX, but still, that just shows that the HTC One X Camera is capeable of much more!
HTC, fix your camera application!!

shea-bird

Feb 26, 2011
Philadelphia
WOW... incredible difference...can you take a few more samples outside with decent lighting?

that is really amazing how much better the FX shots look...

so you are saying that you can only take one FX shot at a time- and then you have to reboot??

shangostar

May 11, 2011
I found the HTC camera to produce a lot of noise even in well lit environment.

The camera is one of their big selling points it seems odd they would use so much JPEG compression in the software. Personally I'd like to output images as actual RAW files.

Also the brightness and colour contrast of the HTC one X screen seems to have given them a bit of a dilemma with the colour of photo's, when you take a shot and view it on the phone screen the colour looks good but when you then view it on a monitor the colour looks washed out and dull, Problem is if the camera reproduced the colour correctly it would look way over saturated on that bright screen of the phone.

EDIT

Another point is: As soon as I took a shot with the HTC camera app, I simply can't take any photos anymore with Camera Zoom FX. Camera screen stays black after a shot, photo doesnt get saved, app needs to be killed. It will only work again after a reboot. Seems like the HTC camera app not only applies heavy compression and somewhat dark lighting, but also causes glitches and issues within the system regarding the camera api.

I just had this same issue after taking some shots in the garden, not with camera zoom fx though, I dont have that installed, took half a dozen shots then the camera appeared not to take photos, it would focus, make the shutter sound and seemingly take a picture but on viewing i just got a black screen with a triangle and exclamation. reboot was needed. this was using only the htc camera app.

Last edited:

LTavaress

Feb 21, 2010
OMG! There's a HUGE difference between those pictures!!! I was a little disappointed with one x's camera quality but now it's clear that it is software related, the camera itself is capable of taking better pictures. I really hope HTC fixes this soon, because I think this is a major problem that has to resolved.

shangostar

May 11, 2011
Definitely needs to be resolved, been out taking some more and it only seems to successfully shoot a picture half the time, seems it doesnt need a reboot to get it working again, it just randomly decides when it wants to take a picture or not, seems to mostly fail in very well lit sunny conditions. also had some freezes using the camera needing a hard reboot.

nickhuk

Aug 5, 2010
Glasgow
Also downloaded - Different results

I also downloaded camera zoom fx - both stock app and camera zoom are set to auto. in my opinion the camera zoom picture looks over exposed

Camera Zoom Fx may peform better on a sunny day???

both very similar sizes Camera Zoom was 0.2 Mb bigger

first image is Camera Zoom

2012-04-12%2017.10.26.jpg

IMAG0058.jpg

Attachments

• CameraZOOM-20120412171026690.jpg
    CameraZOOM-20120412171026690.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 377
  • IMAG0058.jpg
    IMAG0058.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
guys all you need to do is increase the exposure in the htc camera app for similar results

i love the camera guys every pic you post i see amazing colors, actually Camera FX images are over exposed

Last edited:

shangostar

May 11, 2011
guys all you need to do is increase the exposure in the htc camera app for similar results

Doesnt make a difference for me, tried on manual ISO with same result, it cant take a picture in well lit conditions, tried a few again, if i point the camera to the garden (sun behind me) it cant take a picture, if i point the camera down to the floor standing in the same position so there is less light on the sensor it will take a picture, point it back up again, fails to take a picture.

been trying in different areas too, in shadowed areas or indoors its fine, something that is well lit by the sun it fails to take a picture at all.

Gonna try Camera FX now

actually no im not, it's not free lol

Last edited:

LittleMerc

Apr 20, 2009
I dont think the camera is at total fault... If you play around with the camera settings you can adjust the amount of exposure and sharpness of the photo... I personally feel that this setting is quite good under normal conditions:

Exposure -1
Saturation -1
Sharpness -1
Contrast -1 (play around with different light ambience)

These settings actually gave quite good results for me... although undeniably raw uncompressed pictures are better... just my 2 cents...

shangostar

May 11, 2011
Dunno what it costs now, but it was on sale for something like 50c a couple of weeks ago.....not that that helps you at all!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

It's on sale now in the uk too at just under £2, I know that's not a lot but I'm not paying for an alternative app just because the one on my brand new £500 phone doesn't work properly. Hopefully software updates or custom roms should fix the issues and realistically I'll rarely use the camera anyway, I have a DSLR I will use when I know I want to photograph stuff but was just hoping the HTC camera might be good to use on the occasion I don't have the DSLR with me.

And it probably will be if i can just get it to take pictures in the sun.

Try4Ce

Jul 29, 2010
NRW
Well, after some further testing I can confirm that in regular daylight conditions, Camera Zoom FX as well as ICS Camera (Market) both produce over exposed photos.
That is kinda weird. I also experience intense flickering on the capture frame while using the mentioned apps.

Sometimes, both apps dont even shoot a photo. Camera Zoom FX just stays at a black capture frame, and ICS Camera just FC.

What's up with that cam, seriously? Thats kinda weird... Tho, sharpness still looks a litttle better with third party camera apps. File size is always way bigger, too.

I think the camera is capeable of doing much more. I guess the drivers are still not really final yet.

shangostar

May 11, 2011
Sometimes, both apps dont even shoot a photo. Camera Zoom FX just stays at a black capture frame, and ICS Camera just FC.

How bright and sunny is it where you are today?

it's very bright here and I cannot get it to take images in the sun at all, just getting black screens like you mentioned.

ShyamSasi

Dec 10, 2010
CLASSIFIED
Camera compression is better inOne X. I had Xperia Arc and camera compression was horrible, Same 8 MP cam it used to be below 1 MB but it does produced awesome pictures.

Try4Ce

Jul 29, 2010
NRW
How bright and sunny is it where you are today?

it's very bright here and I cannot get it to take images in the sun at all, just getting black screens like you mentioned.

Yea, pretty bright. Seems like the apps have issues with bright environments and therefore bright captures ... bugger

shangostar

May 11, 2011
I'm wondering if the fixed f2.0 aperture is just too wide for sunny conditions, great for low light yes but I wouldn't use f2.0 on a DSLR in very bright conditions unless I was using a fast shutter speed and since there is no shutter speed adjustment on the One X, 2.0 I think is just too wide for those conditions, even on 100 ISO

Just popped back out into the garden now the sun has gone down some and the same pictures that wouldn't take earlier are now taking ok.

Reactions: Eddzz!!

Eddzz!!

Jan 6, 2011
Okay guys, I don't know if any of you here are photographers - but I am... :p

It doesn't matter what app you use for your phone-photography - it's all using the same lens! What matters is the settings you use. Given, the 3rd party apps may implement their settings better, but nothing that the stock camera app isn't capable of. Know how to adjust your shutter speed and ISO settings accoridngly and you'll come out with some cracking pictures (considering the size of the lens and sensor). At the end of the day, it's a PHONE CAMERA. It ain't never going to be perfect. If you want great image quality, go out and a buy a dSLR or compacts / micro 4/3s camera. ;)

ArmedandDangerous

Aug 8, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Okay guys, I don't know if any of you here are photographers - but I am... :p

It doesn't matter what app you use for your phone-photography - it's all using the same lens! What matters is the settings you use. Given, the 3rd party apps may implement their settings better, but nothing that the stock camera app isn't capable of. Know how to adjust your shutter speed and ISO settings accoridngly and you'll come out with some cracking pictures (considering the size of the lens and sensor). At the end of the day, it's a PHONE CAMERA. It ain't never going to be perfect. If you want great image quality, go out and a buy a dSLR or compacts / micro 4/3s camera. ;)

Photographer here too :p

I do wish there was an option for less compression on the stock app though /: As it is there's still too much compression going on. Just play with the ISO and image settings and it's still pretty good :p

katamari201

Oct 18, 2011
They really need to improve the software and encoding for both image and video capture. They are both worse than the competition. Their hardware seems capable enough, and this certainly has enough firepower, but it ain't being used right.

I'm not a photographer but I can tell a ****ty photo from a good one. I don't think they are very pleasing on this device. Older phones I've owned take much better photos. It's really sad that photo snobs come into a cellphone forum and riddle every post about the camera with IT"S NOT A DSLR IT"S A CAMERA-PHONE GO BUY A REAL CAMERA. Set the bar high much? We're comparing cellphone cameras. I don't see PC people coming in and crapping on browser and benchmark threads, saying IT"S NOT A PC BUY A REAL COMPUTER LULZ.

These cellphones are replacing point-and-shoot cameras. Those are REAL cameras BTW, and they are good enough. How many people actually own DSLRS? I don't even know any, nor know of anyone who would be caught dead with one, or pay the $500+ for a good one.

Downplaying the camera is also a good line for HTC apologists/fanboys.

Reactions: yvibes and eeeeeee

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys!

Seems like the original HTC Camera App is quite a bugger. Sure, it's interface is fancy and intuitive with quite the features, but hear me out.

I bought Camera Zoom FX back in the days and loved to use it with my Galaxy S2 since it produced some wonderful shots for me.
    I tried it out now on my One X device, and there I made quite a discovery.

First of all, I did 2 test shots for each camera, so in total 4.
    The first one I did outside, cloudy sky, slight rain -> white concrete wall. Makro shot. The second on I did indoors, closed room, artificial light (bad light condition).

Second is: I'll also write down the filesize of the photos. The difference is, least to say, overwhelming.

Enough talk, see for yourself:
    Keep in mind, I didnt use LED flash, nor HDR. Simple setup, no color corrections or post processing. Those are raw, untouched images down there!

Macro - Cloudy Sky, Slight Rain, White concrete wall

HTC camera (Original: 2,14 MB)
    7070775807_83eb4df9ef_c.jpg

Camera Zoom FX (Original: 4,48 MB)
    6924698610_9e3dd62b94_c.jpg

Autofocus - Indoor, closed room, poor light condition, artificial light

HTC camera (Original: 1,50 MB)
    6924698826_ce02977eeb_c.jpg

Camera Zoom FX (Original: 4,80 MB)
    7070776479_facca24eb3_c.jpg

Okay, guys. Now that you've seen those shots, what are your thoughts and impressions? To me, the color, brightness and sharpness looks ALOT better with Camera Zoom FX. PLUS - focusing seems to be much more stable on Camera Zoom FX, and its still FAST. Maybe its a little too bright with CZFX, but still, that just shows that the HTC One X Camera is capeable of much more!
    HTC, fix your camera application!!
    They really need to improve the software and encoding for both image and video capture. They are both worse than the competition. Their hardware seems capable enough, and this certainly has enough firepower, but it ain't being used right.

I'm not a photographer but I can tell a ****ty photo from a good one. I don't think they are very pleasing on this device. Older phones I've owned take much better photos. It's really sad that photo snobs come into a cellphone forum and riddle every post about the camera with IT"S NOT A DSLR IT"S A CAMERA-PHONE GO BUY A REAL CAMERA. Set the bar high much? We're comparing cellphone cameras. I don't see PC people coming in and crapping on browser and benchmark threads, saying IT"S NOT A PC BUY A REAL COMPUTER LULZ.

These cellphones are replacing point-and-shoot cameras. Those are REAL cameras BTW, and they are good enough. How many people actually own DSLRS? I don't even know any, nor know of anyone who would be caught dead with one, or pay the $500+ for a good one.

Downplaying the camera is also a good line for HTC apologists/fanboys.
    Gonna try Camera FX now

actually no im not, it's not free lol

Dunno what it costs now, but it was on sale for something like 50c a couple of weeks ago.....not that that helps you at all!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    I'm wondering if the fixed f2.0 aperture is just too wide for sunny conditions, great for low light yes but I wouldn't use f2.0 on a DSLR in very bright conditions unless I was using a fast shutter speed and since there is no shutter speed adjustment on the One X, 2.0 I think is just too wide for those conditions, even on 100 ISO

Just popped back out into the garden now the sun has gone down some and the same pictures that wouldn't take earlier are now taking ok.