Please help! I may have bricked...

Search This thread

Robinette

Sep 9, 2010
New York, NY.
mylesrobinette.com
Thank you in advance:

I attempted to flash CM10 yesterday and things went astray. I flashed the Rom as usual, then V13 Kernel, then Gapps, then rebooted. Rom didn't boot and when I go into recovery I get the following errors:
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log

So then I attempted to re-flash back to an older stable Rom and I get the error:
E:Error in /sdcard/rom_name_here.zip
(Status 1)
Installation Aborted

When I try to wipe data/factory reset it takes about 30 minutes while hanging on formatting data and cache, but I still get the Can't mount/open errors after it's finished.

When I try to flash a new kernel I get this error:
Installing Boot Image...
assert failed: write_raw_image("/tmp/boot.img","boot")
E:Error in /sdcard/kernel.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

I am able to get my Hboot USB PLUG working and recognized by my device manager, but adb commands tell me *device not connected. Is there a way to do these commands in OSX? Windows is frustrating me.

I'm not really sure what to do, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

My phone's info:
VIVO_W XB SHIP S-OFF RL
HBOOT - 6.13.1002
RADIO - 1.09.01.0622

Last edited:

Robinette

Sep 9, 2010
New York, NY.
mylesrobinette.com
There is a way to get rid of a brick from HBOOT by re-installing the PG32IMG and then re-rooting.

To get rid of the brick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEIVtsrqaDo&feature=plcp

Then, how to re-root: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wag3W3Hq2u4&feature=plcp

That you VERY much! I am currently updating the recovery, it seems hung up but hopefully it's just taking a while. Will keep you posted.

EDIT 1: I'm still stuck on step [2] RECOVERY - Updating, things are looking grim.

EDIT 2: So I can't get past step 2 of 9 updating via the PG32IMG.zip :( It is just hanging on Updating. Anyone have any other solutions?

Last edited:

EVoorhees

Jul 28, 2012
New Jersey
That you VERY much! I am currently updating the recovery, it seems hung up but hopefully it's just taking a while. Will keep you posted.

EDIT 1: I'm still stuck on step [2] RECOVERY - Updating, things are looking grim.

EDIT 2: So I can't get past step 2 of 9 updating via the PG32IMG.zip :( It is just hanging on Updating. Anyone have any other solutions?

I think that may be a hardware brick.

You may have to take it and get it replaced from VZW. But, they don't sell the DINC2 anymore, so I wouldn't know what they would do. If you got the phone about a year or two ago, Verizon lets you upgrade about 4 months in advance I believe.

But, I have never experienced a brick myself; so I could be wrong.

Robinette

Sep 9, 2010
New York, NY.
mylesrobinette.com
have you tried flashing a recovery via fastboot?

I tried on Windows 7 but couldn't get ADB to recognize my device. I got it to work ONE time where the phone had a black screen and a blue REVELUTIONARY written in the middle, but for some reason I can never get it to get there again.

So now I'm going to try and get it to work on OS X. Will keep you posted...

Edit: Finally got ADB working on OS X and I'm able to recognize my old Incredible, now going to try and get it to recognize the Incredible 2...wish me luck.

Edit 2: I was able to get ADB commands working on my Incredible 2. However when I get to the step enter the command "./adb shell /data/local/tmp/zergRush" I get the error "/sbin/sh: /data/local/tmp/zergRush: not found" even though I know the zergRush file lives in that folder. I think it may be a permissions issue with the computer I'm on at work. This is such a nightmare. I have to troubleshoot every step of trying to fix this phone. Drain.

Last edited:

Robinette

Sep 9, 2010
New York, NY.
mylesrobinette.com
So I have still yet to fix my phone. I'm much closer, but running into new issues. ADB works and recognizes my phone in both 'recovery' and Downgrade VivoW with hboot 0.98" guide.

While the phone is sitting at the white HTC screen and recognized as 'device' by adb, I get the following errors:

adb shell rm -r /data/local/tmp/* = failed to copy 'tacoroot.sh' to '/data/local/': Is a directory

adb push zergRush /data/local/tmp/zergRush = failed to copy 'zergRush' to '/data/local/tmp/zergRush': No such file or directory

and while the phone is in 'recovery' mode I'm able to push zergRush and misc_version, set their permissions, but then:

adb shell /data/local/tmp/zergRush = /sbin/sh: /data/local/tmp/zergRush: not found

Even though:

adb shell ls /data/local/tmp = misc_version zergRush

Does this command not work while in recovery? I'm not able to get even past the first step in 'device' mode. The /sbin/sh thing confuses me.

Please help!

prototype7

Apr 16, 2012
New Hampshire
So I have still yet to fix my phone. I'm much closer, but running into new issues. ADB works and recognizes my phone in both 'recovery' and Downgrade VivoW with hboot 0.98" guide.

While the phone is sitting at the white HTC screen and recognized as 'device' by adb, I get the following errors:

adb shell rm -r /data/local/tmp/* = failed to copy 'tacoroot.sh' to '/data/local/': Is a directory

adb push zergRush /data/local/tmp/zergRush = failed to copy 'zergRush' to '/data/local/tmp/zergRush': No such file or directory

and while the phone is in 'recovery' mode I'm able to push zergRush and misc_version, set their permissions, but then:

adb shell /data/local/tmp/zergRush = /sbin/sh: /data/local/tmp/zergRush: not found

Even though:

adb shell ls /data/local/tmp = misc_version zergRush

Does this command not work while in recovery? I'm not able to get even past the first step in 'device' mode. The /sbin/sh thing confuses me.

Please help!

It won't work in recovery because the partitions aren't mounted. Try reflashing the ROM and get it to boot. If recovery won't work, flash back to stock or try reflashing the recovery.

Robinette

Sep 9, 2010
New York, NY.
mylesrobinette.com
have you tried flashing a recovery via fastboot?

It won't work in recovery because the partitions aren't mounted. Try reflashing the ROM and get it to boot. If recovery won't work, flash back to stock or try reflashing the recovery.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am able to get the phone recognized and responsive with fastboot, but it still doesn't want to work. When I attempted to re-flash recovery in fastboot, it completes the first step just fine and then hangs on "'writing' ..." as soon as that happens terminal freezes as does my phone, resulting in me having to battery pull and force quit terminal. I've waited and waited but it never finishes, and I think it's supposed to happen very fast anyway.

I read on another forum to extract the system.img, boot.img, and recovery.img from the PG32IMG.zip and manually install them via fastboot. I tried this as well but again I get errors and freezes immediately after "fastboot flash system system.img"

I also tried "fastboot erase cache" and again, it hangs and freezes both my phone and terminal.

I'm pretty sure my phone is a goner. If anyone has another suggestion please let me know. I don't think there are many things I haven't tried, except the alternative methods (software?) of running commands other than fastboot and recovery. I hope it's not just something dumb on my end like the usb port or permissions. :(

prototype7

Apr 16, 2012
New Hampshire
Thanks for the suggestions. I am able to get the phone recognized and responsive with fastboot, but it still doesn't want to work. When I attempted to re-flash recovery in fastboot, it completes the first step just fine and then hangs on "'writing' ..." as soon as that happens terminal freezes as does my phone, resulting in me having to battery pull and force quit terminal. I've waited and waited but it never finishes, and I think it's supposed to happen very fast anyway.

I read on another forum to extract the system.img, boot.img, and recovery.img from the PG32IMG.zip and manually install them via fastboot. I tried this as well but again I get errors and freezes immediately after "fastboot flash system system.img"

I also tried "fastboot erase cache" and again, it hangs and freezes both my phone and terminal.

I'm pretty sure my phone is a goner. If anyone has another suggestion please let me know. I don't think there are many things I haven't tried, except the alternative methods (software?) of running commands other than fastboot and recovery. I hope it's not just something dumb on my end like the usb port or permissions. :(

Try an RUU or the return to stock PG32IMG.zip in development.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts