[Q] Improvements by "updating" bootloader with stock 4.4

Search This thread

ral9005

Feb 6, 2014
Hey guys,

I unlocked my bootloader some months ago (my Z1 came with stock 4.3) and use SlimKat (weekly ATM) since then.

Now that the official 4.4 update is released, I wonder if there are any advantages (like better cam, wifi, newer modem) from locking the BL, installing stock 4.4 and unlocking BL again, to go back to a custom ROM.

I come from a Samsung device where you could update e.g. the modem/baseband seperately and I understand that in Sony devices all these things are fix in bootloader.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
You don't have to relock your bootloader, just flash 4.4 via Flashtool v0.9.14. The step of relock and unlock the Bootlader after flash 4.4 have no benefits at all, just waste of time.

BTW, via Flashtool you can flash baseband only, if you want.

Reactions: ral9005

ral9005

Feb 6, 2014
Hey eclyptos, thanks for your reply and the tip. But if do this, does this have any advantages like I stated in the OP?

pdaaalex

Oct 11, 2010
You don't have to relock your bootloader, just flash 4.4 via Flashtool v0.9.14. The step of relock and unlock the Bootlader after flash 4.4 have no benefits at all, just waste of time.

Having your locked bootloader does not involve some enhancements in photo quality? apart of the bravia engine and other things...

I believed that there were issues with camera quality on UB (that is why I haven't done it yet), so if there are no advantages, I might be unlocking it really soon...

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
Hey eclyptos, thanks for your reply and the tip. But if do this, does this have any advantages like I stated in the OP?

I want remind you first to DO NOT Relock Bootloader on Custom Kernels because you will brick your phone. So if you asking about Kitkat 4.4 itself and not bootloader, then I can say, you have to try it because is the newest Version of 4.4.2, last update of Slimkat was 3th March. Some improvement was made like in Pictures and Smoothness but very tiny difference so is up to you.

About Bootloader, if you asking, the only advantage you will get in Relock Bootlader if you will keep it locked so everything will work like it should, but if you want to Unlocking again after update then don't relock it in first place because it's a waste of time, it will be the same.

Having your locked bootloader does not involve some enhancements in photo quality? apart of the bravia engine and other things...

I believed that there were issues with camera quality on UB (that is why I haven't done it yet), so if there are no advantages, I might be unlocking it really soon...

Somebody see differences, somebody doesn't. I try to keep it locked until something really amazing don't come out or will encrease the developing section for Z1.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I want remind you first to DO NOT Relock Bootloader on Custom Kernels because you will brick your phone. So if you asking about Kitkat 4.4 itself and not bootloader, then I can say, you have to try it because is the newest Version of 4.4.2, last update of Slimkat was 3th March. Some improvement was made like in Pictures and Smoothness but very tiny difference so is up to you.

About Bootloader, if you asking, the only advantage you will get in Relock Bootlader if you will keep it locked so everything will work like it should, but if you want to Unlocking again after update then don't relock it in first place because it's a waste of time, it will be the same.

Somebody see differences, somebody doesn't. I try to keep it locked until something really amazing don't come out or will encrease the developing section for Z1.