[Q] Any media playing apps that will play media from google drive

Search This thread

feartheanonymity

Feb 23, 2013
Sorry if this has been asked previously, I have spent some time looking for a solution.

Due to the Moto G only having small memory (in my case 8gb) and no expandable memory, I was wondering if there is some music / media player that will allow me to view and play my media from Google Drive?

Its a bit of a pain for me to go into the Drive app and scout through everything to find a song which then stops playing if I come out of the app. It would be much easier if all my media in Drive was to show up in a media playing app and play in the background.

So any ideas anyone?
TIA

neu - smurph

May 14, 2013
Google Pixel 4a
Sorry if this has been asked previously, I have spent some time looking for a solution.

Due to the Moto G only having small memory (in my case 8gb) and no expandable memory, I was wondering if there is some music / media player that will allow me to view and play my media from Google Drive?

Its a bit of a pain for me to go into the Drive app and scout through everything to find a song which then stops playing if I come out of the app. It would be much easier if all my media in Drive was to show up in a media playing app and play in the background.

So any ideas anyone?
TIA

ES Explorer - It can integrate with Drive (and other Cloud Services and SMB shares) and has a basic music player inbuilt that will stream from Drive, and supports basic playlisting. Alternatively you can send single music files to other installed music players on the device. It has a Picture viewer as well. For video it looks for video players on the device to use as the renderer.

Alternatively you could just use Google Play Music and utilise Google's generosity in allowing you to upload upto 20,000 of your own tracks to the Play Music Server to access via streaming. They don't eat into your Drive allowance either.

Don't want to trust the cloud - set up your own Media Server on a PC/Mac/NAS at home and stream from that. Plex is reasonably OK, but you'll need to invest some time in setting it up and I'm not wholly convinced this is without security issues for your home network.

Reactions: feartheanonymity

feartheanonymity

Feb 23, 2013
The google play music manager for my PC is just what I needed ! thanks for that I didnt know it even existed :eek:

Ive just transferred all my music from my PC into the manager and now I can access them through the music app! Thank you very much :good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

So any ideas anyone?
    TIA

ES Explorer - It can integrate with Drive (and other Cloud Services and SMB shares) and has a basic music player inbuilt that will stream from Drive, and supports basic playlisting. Alternatively you can send single music files to other installed music players on the device. It has a Picture viewer as well. For video it looks for video players on the device to use as the renderer.

Alternatively you could just use Google Play Music and utilise Google's generosity in allowing you to upload upto 20,000 of your own tracks to the Play Music Server to access via streaming. They don't eat into your Drive allowance either.

Don't want to trust the cloud - set up your own Media Server on a PC/Mac/NAS at home and stream from that. Plex is reasonably OK, but you'll need to invest some time in setting it up and I'm not wholly convinced this is without security issues for your home network.