BackTrack 5 ARM (with GUI via TightVNCServer)

Search This thread

charos

Nov 9, 2010
Budapest
Ok, so packet injection is no go atm (wifi cannot even get into monitor mode). Do you think in the near future a usb host option can be implemented or it's just sci-fi wishful thinking?

Last edited:

bossjeeves

Nov 23, 2010
I would say when it can run natively ie dual boot or something like that, and drivers can be loaded for the wireless card (assuming the card can even support packet injection) then it should work, if not I am sure someone will figure out something to make a usb wifi card work.

bossjeeves

Nov 23, 2010
I am fairly confident that this is just like running a live CD, you should not be treating it like a full install, if you want a full install install it on a desktop or laptop. once you reboot your device you will most likely lose any info you installed anyways.

imbonez9

May 18, 2009
La, Cali!!!
Can someone tell me if indeed this is a "live cd" or something full. And if so has anyone got python and tor working on here yet?

ankorez

Apr 22, 2010
so great!!!!

i try it when go at my home

one question

Backtrack is emulate in HoneyComb or it replace Honeycomb?

thx for your reponse

c0rnholio

Sep 6, 2005
in the basement...
this is just a live CD that is booted from a VM runinng within HC.

Sorry to correct you, but it is not like a Live-CD and not really a VM.

Backtrack (based on Ubuntu ARM distro) is installed in a Loop Filesystem Image. This image is copied to the device and is then started in a chroot environment. So this is more like a full install. Also all your changes will remain after a reboot. So if you install something in the chrooted Backrack it will of course be there if you start it the next time.

Reactions: bossjeeves

bossjeeves

Nov 23, 2010
thanks for clarifying, I thought I was sure it was just like loading the live CD, because you can save changes in a live CD too but the minute you power off it will be gone. I figured that it was just saving the session in a hibernated state if, you will, like a VM but in chroot.

earl00

Dec 8, 2007
Is it possible to plug a injection wifi card via USB host mode into the xoom and have backtrack use it in monitor mode?

Stumpsalot

Aug 12, 2011
Washington, D.C.
The ARM version of Ubuntu is able to be installed in nvflash and can run natively on any tablet/device that uses the nvidia tegra2. Is there a way to install the ARM BT5 the same way? I've been trying a few ways but the bt5.img always gives me an nvflash 0x8 error after a little over a gig is transferred. The UDA and UBT partitions I have set at 8 GB and still no luck. Being able to run BT5 natively would be much easier than the ARM Ubuntu since there are none of the tools pre-installed and trust me it takes quite a bit of time to get the arm versions all installed. Currently I have both of my tablets (Xoom and ASUS Transformer) running Ubuntu natively.

earl00

Dec 8, 2007
The ARM version of Ubuntu is able to be installed in nvflash and can run natively on any tablet/device that uses the nvidia tegra2. Is there a way to install the ARM BT5 the same way? I've been trying a few ways but the bt5.img always gives me an nvflash 0x8 error after a little over a gig is transferred. The UDA and UBT partitions I have set at 8 GB and still no luck. Being able to run BT5 natively would be much easier than the ARM Ubuntu since there are none of the tools pre-installed and trust me it takes quite a bit of time to get the arm versions all installed. Currently I have both of my tablets (Xoom and ASUS Transformer) running Ubuntu natively.

have you been able to install an external wifi card with the native install? By the way, which tablet do you prefer on a day to day basis?

Stumpsalot

Aug 12, 2011
Washington, D.C.
have you been able to install an external wifi card with the native install? By the way, which tablet do you prefer on a day to day basis?

I like the transformer for my pentesting just because I can use it as a netbook. Tablet stuff I prefer the xoom. Currently I am using an Alfa USB wifi card in the native install. I had to load the drivers manually bit works great.

Sent from my ADR6400L using XDA App

earl00

Dec 8, 2007
Surely its easier to run it via chroot and install your wifi card driver in bt5 chroot. This way you can easily get back to honeycomb goodness since dualboot is not an option and honeycomb native browser is a better experience??

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Backtrack (http://www.backtrack-linux.org)
    Backtrack-Linux.org, home of the highest rated and acclaimed Linux security distribution to date. BackTrack is a Linux-based penetration testing arsenal that aids security professionals in the ability to perform assessments in a purely native environment dedicated to hacking. Regardless if you’re making BackTrack you Install BackTrack, boot it from a Live DVD or thumbdrive, the penetration distribution has been customized down to every package, kernel configuration, script and patch solely for the purpose of the penetration tester.

Here is a guide to getting ARM Backtrack Running on the Xoom (tested on Wifi Only Version, running 3.1)

After much frustration I have gotten the GUI part of the backtrack 5 arm release working with the Motorola Xoom.

This has only been tested to work on the Xoom. But it should work just fine with any other device that supports linux, and should work especially well on anything with a dual-core processor (G2X, Atrix, etc.)

Pre-requisites:
    - Rooted Motorola Xoom
    - androidVNC from the Android Market
    - Terminal Emulator from the Android Market (which you should already have)
    - Backtrack 5 for ARM with Gnome downloaded and setup (check the README file, and follow the instructions.)
    Link: Backtrack 5 http://www.backtrack-linux.org/downloads/. This tutorial will assume you put Backtrack 5 in the folder /sdcard/BT5 like the README says.

Launch the terminal emulator and enter the following commands:
    Code:
    cd /sdcard/BT5
    su
    sh bootbt
    BackTrack will start up in shell. You will get a red line that says "root@localhost:". To verify if you type:
    Code:
    ls pentest
    It should echo back the folders in pentest, stuff like 'backdoors','database',etc.

At this point enter the following commands:
    Code:
    export USER=root
    vncpasswd

When you type in 'vncpasswd' this is to the the password for the tightvncserver. Since I only connect locally I just use 'qwerty' for my password, and then confirm the password. [Edit] Apparently you can skip this step, as the default password for vnc is simply, 'toortoor' (root backwards, twice).

When it asks if you want to create a view only password just type 'n' and hit enter. After you have your password setup for vnc start the server up.
    Code:
    tightvncserver -geometry 1280x800

When this happens you will get a message confirming that "New 'X' Desktop is localhost:1" and a bunch of other random stuff below it (it isn't important unless there are errors listed).

At this point, press the "HOME" button on the Xoom and then open the application "androidVNC".
    -In the "Nickname" box, you can name it whatever you like.
    -In the "password" entry, use your password (mine is 'qwerty').
    -In the "Address" box you can type in localhost (or leave it blank).

****Change the port from 5900 to 5901.
    [Edit] TightVNCServer uses 5901 by default, but if you are having connection errors it may have changed to something else. View the TightVNCServer logs (which I believe are under /root/.vnc/, do an 'ls -a' and a 'nano logfilename') to check to see what port was in use.

I also recommend setting the color-depth to 24-bit. After that press the "connect" button, and bam! You're rocking Backtrack 5 on your motorola xoom!!

You're welcome to repost this on other message boards of on your website, please just give me credit though. Thank you and enjoy!

5711241049_7a97aff4c3.jpg
    There is a slight error in your commands I believe. To change the VNC password it should be vncpasswd rather than vpnpasswd.
    Port for me was 5902 btw. I was stumped until I looked at the tightvnc log.

Monitor mode does not appear to work and maybe some things have changed since Backtrack 3 but I couldn't locate aircrack-ng.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App
    hey man, i manage to get all the way to the part of android vnc, and put my password and change the port and everything as u said but when i click connect it always gives me an ip address kind of thing and connection refused... Did i forget to do something important?

Are you getting an error when running tightvncserver saying it's not running on screen 1 or whatever? There are lock files in /tmp/, the .X ones, type ls -a from /tmp/ and you'll see them. You have to remove the lock files and the .X11-whatever directory(which you have to delete all the files in it before you can rmdir it)...
    what do you mean for help? the mouse with not follow your finger but as you touch objects, it will click them.
    this is just a live CD that is booted from a VM runinng within HC.