LG P999DW Diassembly and Screen bleeding fix...

Search This thread

tq745

Aug 22, 2009
OP is a beast...i could never do that to my phone. I can live with a little light bleed for now.

jacob808

May 12, 2008
Actually with the after pics, it looks like light is leaking through every centimeter of every side now. And that's why you can't notice it, because the whole screen is bleeding. Also I wouldn't be surprised if dust starts to build up under the screen.

S0NiX0928

Nov 30, 2010
[Comment Removed]

Accidentally Post, Sorry

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA App

Last edited:

Xenolance

May 24, 2011
Actually with the after pics, it looks like light is leaking through every centimeter of every side now. And that's why you can't notice it, because the whole screen is bleeding. Also I wouldn't be surprised if dust starts to build up under the screen.

At an angle all LCD's look like that, they are lit from the sides. And making the foam uniform would not cause dust to get into the screen if you did it correctly as the LCD glass is perfectly flat to begin with and does not flex much, which causes light bleed to begin with when the foam gasket puts too much pressure on the glass in one spot.

OP did a good job and made plenty of warnings along the way. The logic and mechanics of the problem are sound and you should, as with anything you find on XDA, proceed at your own risk. I've done iPod repair for several years so Im not talking out my ass, they have had light bleed issues off and on as well. usually it was something being mal-formed pressing on the screen from the inside.

I'm wanting to know if there is a way to do less tear down to get the mid chassis out and access the LCD? In your teardown was it necessary to remove all the PCBs from the mid chassis to get it off the front panel? It wouldn't be to big of a deal if there was a simplified way to access the LCD only instead of doing a full tear down.

FYI my suggestions, when you do this, get a air ionizer and do it in a place with no carpet and wear an ESD strap to remove static electricity from your body, not so much to protect the PCBs but to keep dust from clinging to you and your tools due to "static cling". they also sell anti-static spray that will greatly reduce airborne dust particles in a given area. Great job OP.

Last edited:

ssuds

Jul 13, 2012
Sorry to revive an old thread, but i stripped one of the screws in the first set of six trying to get the case opened :banghead:. Any suggestions on how to get it out?

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda app-developers app

monte666

Jul 21, 2011
Ogden
Sorry to revive an old thread, but i stripped one of the screws in the first set of six trying to get the case opened :banghead:. Any suggestions on how to get it out?

Superglue a screwdriver tip into the stripped screw let it dry for a bit and turn I've done this a couple times it usually works

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

Reactions: ssuds

Core Memory

Oct 24, 2011
Toronto

There are special drill bits named screw extractors ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001A4CWHO )for removing stripped screws and bolts. The screw extractor taps into the stripped screw which are used with a variable speed drill running in reverse at very very low speed or, better yet, use a manual tap handle. An alternative to the special drill bit is a reverse spiral drill bit which is meant to be used with a drill running in reverse. The drill bit has to be made of harder steel than the material being drilled so make sure it is titanium.

Here's some methods:

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/02/the-12-best-ways-to-remove-stripped-screws/

EDIT:

I just found this which may be the best tool for what you need to do:

http://www.amazon.com/58-0670-6-Piece-Extractor-Reversible-Driver/dp/B000JCT3W0/ref=pd_cp_hi_2

Last edited:
Reactions: ssuds

DuhCiphered

Jun 25, 2014
Oz
I'm glad I came across this thread but not because my G2X has screen bleed. It took a tumble and the back case popped off and the camera lens landed right on a pebble and broke the lens. I used some angle tweezers to remove the pieces of glass and blew it out. The camera still works fine. Not sure if that lens served a purpose other than protection but I don't notice any difference. I think it might of had an anti-glare coating on it though. Anyways I figured the cameras were hard wired on to the board but I see from the OP's pics that it is detachable so I googled G2X camera and found a replacement on ebay for $8 and waiting for it to arrive. Doesn't look like I will have to dig to far into the phone to get to the camera so that's good. But if I need instructions on getting to it by George I know where to come to. :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well I got Tired of the screen bleeding on my phone, so i disassembled it to see what was the problem.I noticed that there was a part of the dust filter surrounding the LCD, it was a little bumped up and when i would ever put pressure on that part of the screen there would be more screen bleeding(when it is assembled) so i scratched that part off and no more bleeding. sorry about my crappy camera...

Six screws to take off
    DSCN0127-1.jpg

Back piece
    DSCN0122.jpg

DSCN0121.jpg

5 More Screws
    asd.jpg

careful i almost broke it removing the mid frame
    DSCN0124.jpg

Camera
    DSCN0115.jpg

Sim and SD card reader with flash to remove it just pull it up.
    DSCN0114.jpg

DSCN0112.jpg

all ribbons required to be removed for motherboard extraction
    DSCN0111.jpg

Mobo
    DSCN0109.jpg

DSCN0108.jpg

second mic piece
    DSCN0107.jpg

DSCN0106.jpg

after mobo removal
    DSCN0104.jpg

Frame removed
    DSCN0102.jpg

DSCN0101.jpg

LCD assembly
    DSCN0096.jpg

DSCN0095.jpg

after LCD was taken out i took off a little piece off the dust filter...
    Before
    DSCN0092.jpg

After
    DSCN0093.jpg

That was the exact same spot were i had the screen bleeding after i did this it was gone..

I hope this helped some people cuz i am finally happy with my phone.
    you have to be experienced to do this if your a noob dont try it....
    its not my fault of you break it......
    Good job! I had my theories about this same thing, but my screen bleed is minimal- much like yours is now. I had taken it apart to see if the internal memory was a micro sd, it isn't, lol. Very easy to take apart. Thank you for your awesome post.

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA App

Very tiny tap and die.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

Superglue a screwdriver tip into the stripped screw let it dry for a bit and turn I've done this a couple times it usually works

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

There are special drill bits named screw extractors ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001A4CWHO )for removing stripped screws and bolts. The screw extractor taps into the stripped screw which are used with a variable speed drill running in reverse at very very low speed or, better yet, use a manual tap handle. An alternative to the special drill bit is a reverse spiral drill bit which is meant to be used with a drill running in reverse. The drill bit has to be made of harder steel than the material being drilled so make sure it is titanium.

Here's some methods:

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/02/the-12-best-ways-to-remove-stripped-screws/

EDIT:

I just found this which may be the best tool for what you need to do:

http://www.amazon.com/58-0670-6-Piece-Extractor-Reversible-Driver/dp/B000JCT3W0/ref=pd_cp_hi_2